D-Day: Omaha Beach Assault

xamdam

Without really having any idea what I was doing, I managed to get good teams and 5 starred my first two attempts. Placed second in... the second. BXP rewards look high even for low damage. It doesn't show, but I guess picking up swimming sailors and shooting down planes pays. Obviously, sinking more ships gives you more as is evident in the guys that broke 3K bxp.

image.thumb.jpeg.76ca67931a4405d7361e4a3728259afa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cd23884d7749f44126bad69e85e4ecd4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c012efda1d760154763bc33030ad01da.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b29c70bfb264050dbb9b7a2aa1f45c88.jpeg

Weird Op... Not all that much fun but the bxp is good... for now at least! lol

Edited by xamdam
  • Like 4

Three tries, three 5 stars... First two with Atlanta, now with WV '44, which was boring as hell... lol

Still low damage. It's all about staying alive, rescuing shipmates in distress and then waiting the last two minutes for the 5 LSTs to make it near shore (they never actually land). I'm going to go back to Atlanta and maybe Boise. But at least the bxp is decent and therefore the payout. Sorta... still kind of boring.

image.thumb.jpeg.d488785db47404a90c8792bfbd5f1216.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6e1b2a7a22c8e9c075352797c22de311.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3b24a5ced2f57a2c3798da4f12ae2032.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bc547a4b5c3208568dc651153a5a5896.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b00d2d62c6e2057a3c7bdd9cf28f794d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.65bd5e68d75115a1c4e1373d0c5b299d.jpeg

• Like 1

If someone figures out the S-Bootes' spawns and bags a bunch of DDs I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4K+ BXP game. Which leads me to think they've goofed up and will nerf it with a hotfix...

It's pumping it out right now for very little damage / effort. I literally just sailed around in my WV '44 and let my secondaries work while selecting my AA sectors until I had a chance to finally shoot the shore batteries. I think I put a few AP shells into a Z along the way but really, nothing special. I expected to be at the bottom of the list with around 600 bxp or so. Got 1K more than that... weird.

• Like 1

It's good to see the high BXP made it to live, I found breaking 3k pretty easy on PTS. Might be worth running some blue boosters on my Atlanta to farm Credits and ECXP.

• Like 2

4th game, 4th 5 star (Boise) we sailed around watching the transports for the last 3 minutes. Yes, if you want to bank XP, now's the time. But the Op is really quite boring.

I'm sure though if I mount blue boosters, they'll stealth nerf it. lol

• Like 1

This op requires high rate of fire cruisers.  Every attempt with multiple battleships or destroyers on my team has been either a failure or a partial win.  I have also had a few Atlantas that stayed far out to sea and refused to push up, making them effectively worthless.

• Sad 1

Couple of 5 stars today... bunch of 2-4's and one....

1 Defeat.... how...  well, it can be done if you don't rescue the boats... other side of the map didn't bother...

Definitely Atlanta again for best fit with op.  Leveled Uganda up... that was nice, but he doesn't have the depth charges.

The 'star' requirement just keeps escalating... *sigh*.

Good luck all!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meatgrindr said:

Working on it with my Boise and Flint.  Flint is actually pretty good here.  Have wanted Atlanta for so long but it continues to elude me.

Flint is very good.  For this op, however, Atlanta does get the nod because her radar is quite useful while Flint's smoke is less so.  I ran my first few attempts with Flint but have resorted to Atlanta exclusively.  I have seen a few other US cruisers top the scoreboard, so the Atlanta sisters are not a necessity.

I will amend my previous post about the lack of usefulness of battleships and destroyers.  A destroyer or two can be useful if they go after the minefields.  I wish they all would.  I have also seen a WV'44 or two near the top of the scoreboard, but precious few battleships have managed it in my games.

Edited by desmo_2

Do not waste time on clearing the minefields, there is not too much BXP in that.

Rescuing sailors, sinking ships (the best way) and killing the onshore guns seem to pay the best.

29 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Flint is very good.  For this op, however, Atlanta does get the nod because her radar is quite useful while Flint's smoke is less so.  I ran my first few attempts with Flint but have resorted to Atlanta exclusively.  I have seen a few other US cruisers top the scoreboard, so the Atlanta sisters are not a necessity.

I will amend my previous post about the lack of usefulness of battleships and destroyers.  A destroyer or two can be useful if they go after the minefields.  I wish they all would.  I have also seen a WV'44 or two near the top of the scoreboard, but precious few battleships have managed it in my games.

Yes, you will have a better game if none of your teammates are BBs.

33 minutes ago, majmac said:

Do not waste time on clearing the minefields, there is not too much BXP in that.

Rescuing sailors, sinking ships (the best way) and killing the onshore guns seem to pay the best.

Except the LSTs get wiped out by the mines.  Not going out of my way, but dropping DCs while going through them seems like a good idea.

• Like 1

I find Omaha Beach Assault to be generally similar to the first Operation, Utah Beach. The rescue task and the presence of that Repair Ship for the German destroyers makes this Operation interesting enough for me.

The best part of Omaha Beach Assault is that it gives some rather nice Base XP.

The first time: Atlanta. 5 ★. Puny 42809 damage. 6 kills. And I was sunk even before the 4th rescue was completed. Yet I earned 2318 Base XP despite my ship's rather meh contribution. 

shot-24_06.26_21.33_06-0608.thumb.jpg.03e39da03acd3fc7c52fcc9d788e11eb.jpg

shot-24_06.26_21_33.10-0958.thumb.jpg.602baa20021d561f25c3ba0a48f1d01c.jpg

shot-24_06.26_21_33.28-0657.thumb.jpg.6c397012f81dcea09cf434056a4bb332.jpg

With the high Base XP payouts, I am putting on hold my Encounter → Cerberus grind inorder to farm this Operation for ECXP. 

😄

2ND ASSAULT

I think I am starting to get the hang of it. Those sneaky fast little torpedo boats first. Then rescue the sailors. Then clear the minefields. Then destroy the Coastal Guns. Shoot down enemy planes. Then destroy the German DDs and their Repair Ship. From time to time waves of torpedo boats will show up and can be very difficult to kill if they are more than 5 kilometers away.

shot-24_06.27_00_01.39-0357.thumb.jpg.f769210f3fa1fdb104d1972cf8b611e9.jpg

shot-24_06.27_00_01.45-0690.thumb.jpg.24aa006fb7eaa9cae1115756606cdb91.jpg

This was my first time to score at least 3100 Base XP. Our other Atlanta player made 3872 Base XP. I am convinced the rescue contributes much to the total Base XP we get, I only made 1, and I think he made 2, or even 3.

There were a number of spots that told me the sailors already left the area when I arrived—must have been randomly assigned which spots have sailors waiting to be rescued?

Nevertheless, the credits and EXCP farming continue.

Good times.

😄

Edited by Frostbow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frostbow said:

This was my first time to score at least 3100 Base XP. Our other Atlanta player made 3872 Base XP. I am convinced the rescue contributes much to the total Base XP we get, I only made 1, and I think he made 2, or even 3.

There were a number of spots that told me the sailors already left the area when I arrived—must have been randomly assigned which spots have sailors waiting to be rescued?

Nevertheless, the credits and EXCP farming continue.

Good times.

Very good rewards indeed. Have had two really nice battles in both "Helena" and "Belfast" with > 2000 BXP.

• Like 1

I will certainly pick Boise instead of Atlanta due to having superheal. Worked great in the first D-Day Op.

Edited by ReDiR20
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ReDiR20 said:

I will certainly pick Boise instead of Atlanta due to having superheal. Worked great in the first D-Day Op.

Almost perfect choice. 

On 6/26/2024 at 1:56 PM, xamdam said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4K+ BXP game.

Screenshot(3414).thumb.png.48b56953ad327d5062e9ebecb7ff9fcc.png

There you go! 🙂

Until WG nerfs the earnings, this OP is what we've been saving red boosters for. I've only lost 1 in 8-9 attempts, in under 90 seconds, because the E-boats torped a DD in distress that spawned particularly early. I still got 1200 xp in that one, which is insane for a loss in Operations. Most other results were 3-3.8k. Atlanta, of course: it's not just the guns or the radar or the AA, it's the depth charges that let you plow through the minefields.

Edited by tocqueville8
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tocqueville8 said:

I've only lost 1 in 8-9 attempts, in under 90 seconds, because the E-boats torped a DD in distress that spawned particularly early. I still got 1200 xp in that one, which is insane for a loss in Operations.

Had a similar loss (1:37), I was like *what the doodle* just happened?

Got 900 BXP.

Apart from that I had some fun matches + easy BXP with Atlanta.

WoWs_Atlanta 124k Omaha.png

WoWs_Atlanta 124k Omaha_scoreboard.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain_82 said:

Apart from that I had some fun matches + easy BXP with Atlanta.

Yup, and I strongly suggest using blue/red boosters on it before WG nerfs the earnings.

Edited by tocqueville8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mashed68 said:

Its a fun mode. Sucks when you take WV44 in and the whole team is atlantas that speed in front and take all the kills and saves though lol 

Quite unfun if one brings an Arizona, WV44, QE, and similar battleship. This historical mode is all about Atlanta. LOL

11 hours ago, ReDiR20 said:

Yes, Boise has endurance that Atlanta does not have. Boise is a good choice.

• Like 1