so....about those youtubers.......

Lord_Slayer

14 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Yes, it is not aiming for OUR demographic... old farts who can't remember how fun it was to do silly, goofy things.

Oh, we can remember; it's just that OUR silly goofy and THEIR silly goofy are as far apart as chalk and cheese.

14 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

for them there's a very significant social factor to games, many times what they play is not very relevant, just playing together and hang around with the friends.

Truth.

18 hours ago, Aethervox said:

I think Vanoss is only maximizing his revenue stream

AND WHY WOULD HE NOT?!!! 🤪

Some of these guys do really crazy stuff, but underneath the 20-something-going-on-12 exterior is often the heart of a ruthless businessman.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Some of these guys do really crazy stuff, but underneath the 20-something-going-on-12 exterior is often the heart of a ruthless businessman.

I thought that those who do crazy stuff do it for the sake of crazy stuff not money? Or for art's sake or something...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I thought that those who do crazy stuff do it for the sake of crazy stuff not money? Or for art's sake or something...

Ha! What fool's paradise are you living in? 😋

(I'm the crazy person who refuses to monetize on Twitch (I am eligible for Affiliate) because I don't want people giving me money to watch me play games.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Money for many.  Status for others....  Young people it seems are measured (valued?) by the "like" third-person concept.  It's why an entire generation of people are labeled as the "like" generation.

In my Grandson's generation (he's 12 now) it is "the amount of content you've created" on the internet !  So, he and his ilk are working an awful lot producing all sorts of content (and, the grand parents are watching - and, they don't know that !).....  In his case, Historical content for his generation that speaks and asks questions important to them....  I get to see them and comment as to the veracity and messaging most times. 

Now, if that lad decided to do a WOWs YT piece, his content would center on History.  BTW, he simply hates all of the crap the game sells to make a historical ship look like a bombed city refuse pile on water...  The Star Trek make overs he'd reject 100%.....  So, would his posse of friends.......if they ever come back to this game....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

(I'm the crazy person who refuses to monetize on Twitch (I am eligible for Affiliate) because I don't want people giving me money to watch me play games.)

Oh my, you poor, poor Lad......sigh.

Altruism, is a mostly dead concept mate.  

Maybe now, I'll watch one.......cause, "you gotta see it to believe it now a-days."

Dag nabbit, you went and broke the mold and went philanthropic on us.......pock.  Now, I have to watch.....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I don't expect professionals to do things for free, in public at least, but technically speaking, if your primary motive is money grabbing it does show in what you do and it caps your popularity. Fun, skill, art, whatever must come first, money only second if you want long term success.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Asym said:

Money for many.  Status for others....  Young people it seems are measured (valued?) by the "like" third-person concept.  It's why an entire generation of people are labeled as the "like" generation.

In my Grandson's generation (he's 12 now) it is "the amount of content you've created" on the internet !  So, he and his ilk are working an awful lot producing all sorts of content (and, the grand parents are watching - and, they don't know that !).....  In his case, Historical content for his generation that speaks and asks questions important to them....  I get to see them and comment as to the veracity and messaging most times. 

Now, if that lad decided to do a WOWs YT piece, his content would center on History.  BTW, he simply hates all of the crap the game sells to make a historical ship look like a bombed city refuse pile on water...  The Star Trek make overs he'd reject 100%.....  So, would his posse of friends.......if they ever come back to this game....

The concept of "street cred" goes back for generations, I think.

Here's an example, in the dialogue of the 1960 version of "The Magnificent Seven"

Chris : You forget one thing. We took a contract.

Vin : It's sure not the kind any court would enforce.

Chris : That's just the kind you've got to keep.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054047/characters/nm0000989?ref_=tt_cl_c_1

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I don't expect professionals to do things for free, in public at least, but technically speaking, if your primary motive is money grabbing it does show in what you do and it caps your popularity. Fun, skill, art, whatever must come first, money only second if you want long term success.

Or, it seems, whom can create the most chaos......and, make money being "anti-[pick a topic]...

Have you ever watched the YT videos that are themed:  "I've never heard that song?" with the commentators acting-out being surprised or "holy crap, what was that'ed"????  Hours and hours of "OMG Stairway to Heaven" is............30 minutes of constant I can't believe that !  They make money hand over fist....  And, some actually have never heard some of the songs and their reactions are cute....  I can't wait till one of them do Barbershop quartet music !  then let's talk.....and watch.

There is a guy that they give new firearms to and he shoots them for 30 minutes at all sorts of targets as he rambles on and on and on...  He has a ka-bizzillion followers and is a multi-millionaire - by simply providing a service his grandson dreamt up.....!  go figure.....   BTW, someone suggested I do the same for Flintlock or Percussion gun makers....since I know an awful lot of them ! 

Entrepreneurial - simply entrepreneurialism at it's best.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Asym said:

Or, it seems, whom can create the most chaos......and, make money being "anti-[pick a topic]...

Have you ever watched the YT videos that are themed:  "I've never heard that song?" with the commentators acting-out being surprised or "holy crap, what was that'ed"????  Hours and hours of "OMG Stairway to Heaven" is............30 minutes of constant I can't believe that !  They make money hand over fist....  And, some actually have never heard some of the songs and their reactions are cute....  I can't wait till one of them do Barbershop quartet music !  then let's talk.....and watch.

There is a guy that they give new firearms to and he shoots them for 30 minutes at all sorts of targets as he rambles on and on and on...  He has a ka-bizzillion followers and is a multi-millionaire - by simply providing a service his grandson dreamt up.....!  go figure.....   BTW, someone suggested I do the same for Flintlock or Percussion gun makers....since I know an awful lot of them ! 

Entrepreneurial - simply entrepreneurialism at it's best.  

No... I know the kind of videos you mean about songs and movies and so on but... every time it's something I've seen or heard at least once before if not more so I've never actually bothered...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Asym said:

There is a guy that they give new firearms to and he shoots them for 30 minutes at all sorts of targets as he rambles on and on and on...

Is that Hickok 45, or is there someone else doing much the same thing?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

No... I know the kind of videos you mean about songs and movies and so on but... every time it's something I've seen or heard at least once before if not more so I've never actually bothered...

They are talking about the Baby Boomer's and what we listened to !  And, it's even more interesting when MOTOWN or Country Music get their chance for the current generations to hear, for the first time, a music form that isn't Whitney or Dolly.....   It's really cute sometimes....

That's why I brought up Barbershop quartet music....  It seems, some of the local High School music departments needed something for their "bored to death" boys to try....  And, my Grand Daughter, who is dating one of those bored boys,  decided I was the person  -  whom sang Barbershop decades ago (I have a framed picture of our choir competing....darn it !)....  Now, it's getting to be.........sigh......a lot of work.   "The Old Songs" - google it if you want a sample of Quartet singing a Barbershop standard...

Yes, you can make money and a name if you put in the time....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Alas, I will not name and shame..... 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

FPS Russia was doing it over a decade ago, not like a particular rare thing to do on YT. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Asym said:

I'd create an Anti-Drone platform

They developed a new one on Ucraine... some guys with shotguns riding over the vehicle 😕

• Haha 1