Reported!!!

SoshiSone

I was reported today.  I take it as compliment.  And I fully understand the angst of the reds that did so.  All's good.  No harm.

The reds had the game won.  It was four on two and they had caps and points.  Two of their ships were in a clan division.  A Wisconsin and Sicilia.  As the game wound down, I was able to kill the Sicilia through breaks in a terrain mass...sort of like kicking a field goal.  Had to lead him through the break...and was successful.  From the reds perspective, this might seem like a hack; killed with a volley through a mountain.  I understand.  Then I was engaged with the Wisconsin in a mid range fight.  He wasn't full broadside as the engagement began, but it was close enough and I was able to cit him and eventually win the fight.  Again, I can understand the angst of getting cit'd in what turned out to be an even angled fight.  Another feather in the perception-of-hacking hat. In the meantime, our friendly DD took out the Bungo, getting us to two on one.

But it didn't end there.  Reds still had it won.  After our DD cap'd we were even on caps but with a points deficit.  The Castillo probably had a point where it could run and win, but appears to have waited too long. When it did finally make the decision it had a 50/50 chance of picking the clear direction (the one I wasn't pushing on).  It picked wrong.  But even then, if it could but survive a salvo, it could probably still outrun me in stealth.  I fired the front six and got a cit plus change.  I got the rear three on a lead shot just before he disappeared...connected...killed...and we won.  

Looking at this last bit from the red perspective, this just solidified whatever hacker bias was already in motion.  Cit'd the cruiser on one shot and then killed it in stealth FTW.

So yeah, looking at this from the other side, I'd be totally pissed even if I didn't think hacker.  A game that was obviously winnable was lost.  And as you can see the end game events that led to that loss, I don't have any bad feelings at getting reported.  Salute!

Oh, and let's not forget the REAL hero in this battle.  Our DD.  He carried the team.  I just had to avoid screwing things up and do my part in the end.

shot-24_06.24_23_39.18-0368.thumb.jpg.03515175d46e7088d16ccd1922ed959c.jpg 

shot-24_06.24_23_39.50-0979.thumb.jpg.cc0f6ba58dca0f3475f3a4be43604b3b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on what seems to be an excellent win! (Sorry to hear about the "reporting") 

8 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

I was reported today.  I take it as compliment.  And I fully understand the angst of the reds that did so.  All's good.  No harm.

The reds had the game won.  It was four on two and they had caps and points.  Two of their ships were in a clan division.  A Wisconsin and Sicilia.  As the game wound down, I was able to kill the Sicilia through breaks in a terrain mass...sort of like kicking a field goal.  Had to lead him through the break...and was successful.  From the reds perspective, this might seem like a hack; killed with a volley through a mountain.  I understand.  Then I was engaged with the Wisconsin in a mid range fight.  He wasn't full broadside as the engagement began, but it was close enough and I was able to cit him and eventually win the fight.  Again, I can understand the angst of getting cit'd in what turned out to be an even angled fight.  Another feather in the perception-of-hacking hat. In the meantime, our friendly DD took out the Bungo, getting us to two on one.

But it didn't end there.  Reds still had it won.  After our DD cap'd we were even on caps but with a points deficit.  The Castillo probably had a point where it could run and win, but appears to have waited too long. When it did finally make the decision it had a 50/50 chance of picking the clear direction (the one I wasn't pushing on).  It picked wrong.  But even then, if it could but survive a salvo, it could probably still outrun me in stealth.  I fired the front six and got a cit plus change.  I got the rear three on a lead shot just before he disappeared...connected...killed...and we won.  

Looking at this last bit from the red perspective, this just solidified whatever hacker bias was already in motion.  Cit'd the cruiser on one shot and then killed it in stealth FTW.

So yeah, looking at this from the other side, I'd be totally pissed even if I didn't think hacker.  A game that was obviously winnable was lost.  And as you can see the end game events that led to that loss, I don't have any bad feelings at getting reported.  Salute!

Oh, and let's not forget the REAL hero in this battle.  Our DD.  He carried the team.  I just had to avoid screwing things up and do my part in the end.

"Well played", to both you and your team-mate.  🙂 

0c93b7ebe1c978a83108d3286a3a21c4.jpg&f=1 

• Like 3

Meanwhile, CV captains getting reported by their own team for carrying the win...

This playerbase really is way too toxic most days.

10 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Meanwhile, CV captains getting reported by their own team for carrying the win...

A lot of things are too toxic these days.   The world would be a much better place if people just followed that sage advice from the 80s.

image.png.0191a047f3f37ebcd676922daa0cc48f.png

That's it.  Nothing hard to understand there.

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jakob Knight said:

A lot of things are too toxic these days.   The world would be a much better place if people just followed that sage advice from the 80s.

"Be excellent to each other."

That's it.  Nothing hard to understand there.

Indeed.

These idiots who reported you should be booted from the game. If you'd killed me with a through-the-mountain-pass shot like that, you'd have got a "Worthy Opponent" comp and chat would probably have gone like this. 

OW, F%%%!

DAMN

Nice shot.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

What's your solution?
What contributions have you made in topics to persuade people to behave as you desire? 
Do you have a media campaign with 30-second advertisements encouraging better behaviors?

This very topic points out how some people feel entitled to their "participation trophy", eh? 
But not everyone feels that way, correct?
On the other hand, @Jakob Knight's reminder for all of us to "Be excellent to each other" is a positive message.

This game is often more "fair" than some people realize.  The programming is processed by the computer hardware and rendered.
While glitches and bugs and internet packet loss can impinge upon the quality of our game experience, the game isn't intentionally trying to play favorites.
And players who learn about the game environment and become proficient can perform some entertaining "parlor tricks" on occasion.
We miss every shot that we don't take, eh?  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Bored 1

18 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

These idiots who reported you should be booted from the game. If you'd killed me with a through-the-mountain-pass shot like that, you'd have got a "Worthy Opponent" comp and chat would probably have gone like this. 

OW, F%%%!

DAMN

Nice shot.

I agree with everything except your first sentence, above.  ^^^^

There's already a procedure for reporting misbehavior in chat and for "creating a ticket" to submit to customer service.
Let customer service handle it, according to the TOS & EULA, eh?  🙂 

37 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

No, they get reported because being targeted by a CV feels like being stalked by an Internet troll or a professional sadist. It is a class essentially purpose-designed to cause frustration in its victims, and people who have experienced enemy CV's attention are hardly likely to be forgiving just because a particular CV is on their own team.

• Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

No, they get reported because being targeted by a CV feels like being stalked by an Internet troll or a professional sadist. It is a class essentially purpose-designed to cause frustration in its victims, and people who have experienced enemy CV's attention are hardly likely to be forgiving just because a particular CV is on their own team.

Well, if you play in "Age of Sail" video-games, then you won't have to worry about Aircraft Carriers, eh?

If you're willing to step-up to WW-II games, then "buckle-up, buttercup".  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

What's your solution?
What contributions have you made in topics to persuade people to behave as you desire? 
Do you have a media campaign with 30-second advertisements encouraging better behaviors?

This very topic points out how some people feel entitled to their "participation trophy", eh? 
But not everyone feels that way, correct?
On the other hand, @Jakob Knight's reminder for all of us to "Be excellent to each other" is a positive message.

This game is often more "fair" than some people realize.  The programming is processed by the computer hardware and rendered.
While glitches and bugs and internet packet loss can impinge upon the quality of our game experience, the game isn't intentionally trying to play favorites.
And players who learn about the game environment and become proficient can perform some entertaining "parlor tricks" on occasion.
We miss every shot that we don't take, eh?  🙂 

I don't have the power to implement a solution...which would be removal of the karma system.

I have made numerous contributions across various social media platforms to combat this issue of toxicity for merely playing a class.

This is a game, that is played for fun.

If you feel tilted because someone else is playing the game as designed but in a way that you don't like...

The source of the angst lies within you. The other person has nothing to do with it. Don't bring them into it.

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

I don't think you understand the kind of game World of Warships is or the kind of experience WarGaming wants to deliver.

ALL of the classes are purpose designed to cause frustration to their victims.

If you can't handle the heat of battle, stay out of the battle space.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

This is a game, that is played for fun.

If you feel tilted because someone else is playing the game as designed but in a way that you don't like...

The source of the angst lies within you. The other person has nothing to do with it. Don't bring them into it.

Well said.

27 minutes ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

I was ruthlessly and systematically bullied all through school. The whole damn twelve years. I know how that feels.

There is no comparison with being worked over by a competent CV player who knows his job and is out to remove the threat you pose to his team. I'll choose the CV any time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

Nice clutch, and demonstration of how meaningless the in game report function is. 

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

This coin has actually two sides. While the playerbase is definitely more toxic than back in the days of CBT, it is also a lot more touchy. Just like society as a whole. Some people need to shut their traps, and some people need to stop being drama queens. Both are not conductive to getting along.

• Like 4

And that's one fun warship story!!! To imagine the look of disbelief in the red's eyes... Sweet 👍

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

The reds had the game won.  It was four on two and they had caps and points. 

One does see both the Green and/or the Red team inexplicably throw a certain Win by being too aggressive or too greedy. Sometimes, a 'report', in anger/upset?

Edited by Aethervox

42 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

This coin has actually two sides. While the playerbase is definitely more toxic than back in the days of CBT, it is also a lot more touchy. Just like society as a whole. Some people need to shut their traps, and some people need to stop being drama queens. Both are not conductive to getting along.

Agree. The “toxicity” debate is normally put forth by players who grew up coddled there entire life, entitled, and have no idea how to brush words off.  Truly toxic behavior is one thing (racial, sexist, religious slanders or promoting self harm.) but what happens in game is pretty tame.  Some folks just think they are better than most and when they find out they aren’t, they resort to calling their betters toxic. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I really haven't seen much activity in the chat lately [past couple weeks]. People are just playing and onto the next battle. 

Granted if I do something stupid like take a Z-44 into randoms inadvertently, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hear about it. Mid tier randoms? Fine.

But brawls this week? Not a peep. And there has been some real trash in the que. But I expect that in the mode. 

I was more successful in Z-44 in brawls than Black for some reason.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

being targeted by a CV feels like being stalked by an Internet troll or a professional sadist. It is a class essentially purpose-designed to cause frustration in its victims,

This is the incessant lament about CVs

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

If you're willing to step-up to WW-II games, then "buckle-up, buttercup". 

Exactly, if you want to play WW2 naval ships, then, expect CVs. 

Back to the topic, "Reported!!!". I'd sure like to 'Report' reworked CVs (all of them) but Wedgie won't be listening (as most know, I'd like RTS CVs to return 😁).

19 minutes ago, Type_93 said:

Agree. The “toxicity” debate is normally put forth by players who grew up coddled there entire life, entitled, and have no idea how to brush words off.  Truly toxic behavior is one thing (racial, sexist, religious slanders or promoting self harm.) but what happens in game is pretty tame.  Some folks just think they are better than most and when they find out they aren’t, they resort to calling their betters toxic. 

Toxicity can take different forms, from the player whose feelings have been hurt and lashes out in revenge to the player who discounts complaints in order to prove their own superiority and toughness.  The thing they have in common is not considering the other person as a person equal of consideration and a need to break down that other person to less than yourself.

Toxicity can be strong or mild, but the intent is still the same and it isn't to improve the health of the target (or the supplier, either).  Poison, after all, is poison.

Edited by Jakob Knight

25 minutes ago, Type_93 said:

Nice bit of victim blaming here.

There is a spectrum of toxicity, yes.

What happens in this game is not tame from the perspective of most games that allow minors to play.

There is always something to improve, as our natural tendency is to be increasingly mean to each other.

Don't spurn constructive feedback, especially when it is urging you to be a better person for your world.

37 minutes ago, Type_93 said:

Wow !  Talk about generalizations ! 

I accidentally got drug into a Randoms match last week when a clan mate invited me to Division for a clan star....  He was new and didn't know I don't play Randoms.....

A one sided, toxic stomp....  I reported two players. 

I joined the military at 17 and spent 22 years in Combat Arms units and for a while, jumped out of planes for a living....  Does that qualify as coddled?  I wonder if my "entitlement" came from over 18 months in rehab?  Ever do a night tactical drop where the Air Force misplaced the IP????  And, you end up in a cedar swamp and bounce of a cedar stump - at warp three with 100 pounds of combat equipment....  Stump won mate.  

A word of advice:  you have no idea whom we are....  Even when we are whining or crying the blues and screaming at each other....  You don't know us.  So, let's give up categorizing players....  Even the Barney level players have "moments" where they loose it....  I can't play Clan Battles anymore -  because, if you speak in a Command Voice, some players are seriously offended....! 

I always take a breath and remember this from a Great song by the Moody Blues (Justin Hayward, 1969 ARR):

There you go man
Keep as cool as you can
Face piles of trials with smiles
It riles them to believe
That you perceive the web they weave
And keep on thinking free

Or, when I get game stressed with a situation I think of my hero, Oddball...

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" (Kelly's Hero's, 1970)

Edited by Asym
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Nice bit of victim blaming here.

There is a spectrum of toxicity, yes.

What happens in this game is not tame from the perspective of most games that allow minors to play.

There is always something to improve, as our natural tendency is to be increasingly mean to each other.

Don't spurn constructive feedback, especially when it is urging you to be a better person for your world.

Sorry but I’ve seen the victim mentality prevalent today brush true victims under the rug. The world would be a much better place if “victims” of “toxicity” would grow some spine and deal with the real problems in their life instead of crying victim and wanting someone else to deal with their problems. 

• Like 1
  • Bored 1