Depressed about Furutaka... :(

ArIskandir

Some ships are cursed... they seem hardwired to lose beyond all reason or logic.

With nothing better to do, I'm trying to 'fix' ships with bad stats from my early noob days in WoWS. 

But I'm finding the 'Furutaka curse' is still active after all these years... this ship just doesn't want to win, it's very frustrating 😞 

On the bright side, I got Omaha 'corrected' in just 6 matches... just found out she's quite a beastly ship.

image.thumb.png.3123f5cf17b9876829643e4bf3dec72c.png  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

With nothing better to do, I'm trying to 'fix' ships with bad stats from my early noob days in WoWS. 

From time to time, I try to “fix” my top ten all-time ships played - the ones that have abysmal win rates. (Tirpitz, Bismarck, Zao)

I gave up trying to “repair” their WRs - it wasn’t working, and it wasn’t fun trying.

I figured it was better to fix the list than to fix peally poor stats on ships; so now I’m driving other ships on past them on the win list - it’s been a slow, piecemeal grind. After some three years, it’s borne its first fruit: five Jean Bart battles this weekend propelled it past Zao, moving up from #7 on the list to #6.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

From time to time, I try to “fix” my top ten all-time ships played - the ones that have abysmal win rates. (Tirpitz, Bismarck, Zao)

I gave up trying to “repair” their WRs - it wasn’t working, and it wasn’t fun trying.

I figured it was better to fix the list than to fix peally poor stats on ships; so now I’m driving other ships on past them on the win list - it’s been a slow, piecemeal grind. After some three years, it’s borne its first fruit: five Jean Bart battles this weekend propelled it past Zao, moving up from #7 on the list to #6.

Yeah, in the process of 'fixing' this I'm risking making it my most played ship in Randoms! That's part of the horror!

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Some ships are cursed... they seem hardwired to lose beyond all reason or logic.

But I'm finding the 'Furutaka curse' is still active after all these years... this ship just doesn't want to win, it's very frustrating 😞 

On the bright side, I got Omaha 'corrected' in just 6 matches... just found out she's quite a beastly ship.

image.thumb.png.3123f5cf17b9876829643e4bf3dec72c.png  

Is that total battles, or somethink like "battles past x days"?

2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Those are 2 of my most successful cruisers.

Omaha is the most absurd ship in the game, and surprisingly good. Fun to take out for a blast every now and then as a change from T10.

Omaha Furutaka.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Volron said:

Is that total battles, or somethink like "battles past x days"?

My recent battles since I'm trying to 'fix' her, overall is just as bad:

image.thumb.png.221704db2e5d4f060b6e2afd02831168.png

4 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

My recent battles since I'm trying to 'fix' her...

What is fixed for you, north of 5o%?

Ah.  Well if 69 (noice) is your total battles, give her more time.  I'd say give her at least 250 battles before calling her out. cap_like.gif.5b3d1f8e25fef50fd6207cfc6b4aac1c.gif

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, thornzero said:

What is fixed for you, north of 5o%?

Phase one I settle for 50%+ (yellow)

Phase two if I ever get to that would be 53%+ (green)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Volron said:

Ah.  Well if 69 (noice) is your total battles, give her more time. 

I honestly hoped by 69 she would had already came to a satisfaction state but looks she going the long way.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I honestly hoped by 69 she would had already came to a satisfaction state but looks she going the long way.

Think: Did you really come back from your WoWs hiatus to play your Furataka to 250 battles?

Edited by Utt_Bugglier

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Think: Did you really come back from your WoWs hiatus to play your Furataka to 250 battles?

There's no version on the multiverse where I play 250 matches in Furutaka... It ain't happening 

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Haha 3

Sveltvana is my version of this concept. No matter what or when I play that ship, I loose epically. 

Kinda like PTS 🤔

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, palestreamer said:

Omaha is the most absurd ship in the game, and surprisingly good. Fun to take out for a blast every now and then as a change from T10.

I get excited when I see a red Omaha or one of her twins within range.  She can eat citadels from nearly any angle (DD's can cit her broadsides nicely, too) and is super easy to farm damage from.  Ironically, I also have very respectable stats when sailing her.  I suppose that goes to show Omaha will punish players who don't play carefully.

Back to the topic, Furutaka is not on my list of frequently played ships.  That may have something to do with how bad she was in the old days (I started playing in 2015).  You made me check my stats for both Omaha and Furutaka as I usually have no interest in such things.  My limited Furutaka stats are green.  Not bad, but now @ArIskandir has me thinking about giving her another go.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

this ship just doesn't want to win, it's very frustrating

I also have some T5 cruisers that struggle to get wins, despite having excellent captains and me being more experienced than most of my adversaries. 

My diagnosis: the determinant factor for most T5 battles are the opening DD engagements. If my cruiser cannot safely get in position to support or doesn't have the volume of fire to whittle down the tiny T5 DDs, then it will be an uphill fight.

Given how vulnerable T5 battleships can be to torps and how fragile T5 cruisers are when spotted, the advantage of having a DD alive can snowball worse than at any other tier. 

• Like 2

Always had a soft spot for Furutaka. My former (ex) father-in-law had it sunk from underneath him. Also the Kako previously. Miraculously he survived the war.

• Like 2

Furutaka, that reminds me of nothing good, but I have to admit that the poor ship then was played by an absolute potato ... myself. I got so frustrated that I sold her, something that I also did with other vessels, and which I deeply regret.  

The Furry Taco is a good ship at times. It is a citadel city ship. However despite that, no other ship tier 5 has a deck armor of 54mm which can bounce a lot of HE spam. Below is my stats for your comparison. The Fury torps IMO are more for area denial.

Furry taco.jpg

Furry taco2.jpg

• Like 1

This topic inspired me to play Furutaka, last night.
I'll leave it at that.  🙂 

• Haha 1

I found Furutaka to be stupidly good when I played her even as my 3rd cruiser line from when I was decidedly below average.image-22.thumb.png.bcf98c797e4fddf97e35095eee175402.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, torino2dc said:

or doesn't have the volume of fire to whittle down the tiny T5 DDs, then it will be an uphill fight.

This is the problem I've observed on Furutaka, the RoF is too low to quickly dispatch DDs or take full advantage of their mistakes. The gun performance is adequate against BBs and Cruisers but lacking against DDs.

20 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

the 'Furutaka curse'

I had to check my Furutaka record & found something abysmal. 57 random battles (the grind thru T5 to T6) & one of my worst WRs (30%).

Wasn't it's old moniker the 'Furry Taco'? Anyone know the story behind that?

Edited by Aethervox

1 minute ago, Aethervox said:

Wasn't it's old moniker the 'Furry Taco'? Anyone know the story behind that?

I doubt there's anything deeper beyond the phonetic similarity. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

This is the problem I've observed on Furutaka, the RoF is too low to quickly dispatch DDs or take full advantage of their mistakes. The gun performance is adequate against BBs and Cruisers but lacking against DDs.

I think she's rather well equipped to handle DDs. Her HE alpha is above average as per IJN standard, and guns are extremely accurate. I'd argue its only against BBs where her guns suffer since she can AP overmatch many same tier cruisers. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

I think she's rather well equipped to handle DDs. Her HE alpha is above average as per IJN standard, and guns are extremely accurate. I'd argue its only against BBs where her guns suffer since she can AP overmatch many same tier cruisers. 

Maybe with a heavy investment on skills to cut reload and excellent marksmanship... Still it's just six barrels (sometimes only 4 because broadside is a thing) with a glacial reload. The dispersión is good but not 'that' good, on small targets is common to get only 1-2 hits per volley unless point blank range, with those numbers You ain't killing DDs quickly.  

Against BBs your HE is effective enough, You ain't burning them quickly but there's little risk for You farming them at 12km+. 

A Cruiser that knows how to angle will have no issue to out DPM you in most cases.  

The problem I see on Furutaka is it takes too long to pile on damage.