A Suggestion

majmac

If anyone comes to this forum space who is in any way associated with WG (e.g. CC, CM, other role & etc.) would it be possible to make sure they have full disclosure and put in any post they make their relationship with WG?

• Like 3

Good idea but i think it will be long while before one officially joins up at least with their real id.

9 hours ago, majmac said:

If anyone comes to this forum space who is in any way associated with WG (e.g. CC, CM, other role & etc.) would it be possible to make sure they have full disclosure and put in any post they make their relationship with WG?

9 hours ago, Anonymous_ship_capt said:

Good idea but i think it will be long while before one officially joins up at least with their real id.

Yeah, good idea! While I think that it is very possible that someone from WG is already lurking, I also agree with Anonymous that it will be a while, if ever, for them to acknowledge their presence and affiliation.

I would also like to think that we would be gracious and would welcome them if they did.

17 minutes ago, yss_turtleship said:

I would also like to think that we would be gracious and would welcome them if they did.

Hmm......well idk 'bout that....

Just kdding ofc.... if they behave...

53 minutes ago, yss_turtleship said:

Yeah, good idea! While I think that it is very possible that someone from WG is already lurking, I also agree with Anonymous that it will be a while, if ever, for them to acknowledge their presence and affiliation.

Any official acknowledgement of this forum would undercut the narrative surrounding the closure of the official forum and their attempt to sell Discord as a suitable substitute. There’s also been a lot of speculation that one of the reasons behind the movement of everything to Discord was that it allows WG to more easily bury ongoing critical feedback after purging the forum and it’s history of WG’s mishandling of the community’s concerns from the searchable internet.

Thus, I can’t see WG promoting a community space that they don’t have direct control of, at least for the foreseeable future. I’ve always got the impression that they only grudgingly acknowledge/tolerate the Reddit community because it is so large and well-known.

Edited by Nevermore135

6 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Any official acknowledgement of this forum would undercut the narrative surrounding the closure of the official forum and their attempt to sell Discord as a suitable substitute. There’s also been a lot of speculation that one of the reasons behind the movement of everything to Discord was that it allows WG to more easily bury ongoing critical feedback after purging the forum and it’s history of WG’s mishandling of the community’s concerns from the searchable internet.

Thus, I can’t see WG promoting a community space that they don’t have direct control of, at least for the foreseeable future. I’ve always got the impression that they only grudgingly acknowledge/tolerate the Reddit community because it is so large and well-known.

Moderating on Discord seems oddly inconsistent. They either don't have a clear policy yet in place, or they are being purposefully opaque about things. This may discourage people from posting as next to nobody will really see it if their post is removed within minutes, or if their post isn't removed, it's going to end up being buried in the clatter that Discord is becoming as more and more threads and posts get added. Of course, none of that is ever going to show up in any search engine results either.

9 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

Hmm......well idk 'bout that....

Just kdding ofc.... if they behave...

usagi-luna.gif.801dfdf602ea33478e289fc5bb9868e9.gif

The mods and staff over there are already predicting that we will flame out in disharmony relatively quickly.

I'm amused by that sentiment...

...but the need for caution is real. If we become successful enough, WG will target this place with trolls and the like.

It's not personal, it's business.

Hmm you really think WG will target this place with trolls. Lets not get a head of ourselves it's a forum relax use it enjoy it . it's sounds a bit paranoid to be honest. 

40 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

WG will target this place with trolls and the like.

I've been hearing about these 'trolls' since I first started with the WoWs forum.  I haven't been able to spot any.  How does a poster qualify as a troll?

Edited by Justin_Simpleton
spelling error

Like it or not, for whatever corporate reason, a certain company abandoned a certain percentage of its player base in favor of Discord.  Fine.  However, Discord and this forum, really any forum, are basically different in nature.  There are certain confinements within Discord that cannot, at the present time, compete with a general forum format.  I think most here realize that.  And, for many, Discord's format is not their cup of tea.  We are just filling in a natural void that was left due to a corporate decision.

Now, on the other hand, this actually benefits WoWs in keeping a segment of the players' general interest in the game.  Sure, there may be complaints here (valid or not), but they can be discussed here freely.  So it really is a win-win for both sides.

Finally, if anyone is talking about "disharmony" here or in the future, perhaps they should visit the topic "So can Discord function well as a forum?"  It is near the top of the list of topics, with well over 4,000 comments in a relatively short time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 9:42 PM, clammboy said:

Hmm you really think WG will target this place with trolls. Lets not get a head of ourselves it's a forum relax use it enjoy it . it's sounds a bit paranoid to be honest. 

Thanks_WorldofWarships_trophy-icon_03-23-2022_.jpg.2f3673e8ab268c5d5ee18d1917eed97b.jpg

On 8/15/2023 at 10:06 PM, HogHammer said:

Like it or not, for whatever corporate reason, a certain company abandoned a certain percentage of its player base in favor of Discord.  Fine.  However, Discord and this forum, really any forum, are basically different in nature.  There are certain confinements within Discord that cannot, at the present time, compete with a general forum format.  I think most here realize that.  And, for many, Discord's format is not their cup of tea.  We are just filling in a natural void that was left due to a corporate decision.

Now, on the other hand, this actually benefits WoWs in keeping a segment of the players' general interest in the game.  Sure, there may be complaints here (valid or not), but they can be discussed here freely.  So it really is a win-win for both sides.

Finally, if anyone is talking about "disharmony" here or in the future, perhaps they should visit the topic "So can Discord function well as a forum?"  It is near the top of the list of topics, with well over 4,000 comments in a relatively short time.

👍

On 8/15/2023 at 9:48 PM, Admiral_Karasu said:

Moderating on Discord seems oddly inconsistent. They either don't have a clear policy yet in place, or they are being purposefully opaque about things. This may discourage people from posting as next to nobody will really see it if their post is removed within minutes, or if their post isn't removed, it's going to end up being buried in the clatter that Discord is becoming as more and more threads and posts get added. Of course, none of that is ever going to show up in any search engine results either.

Thats the point of moving it from discord, ideal for “sniping off” disidents and even if they get missed the clutter makes it effectively a mute point, perfect “I get payed even if I do nothing except c/p the party line from the pamphlet” life for CMs right there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

Thats the point of moving it from discord, ideal for “sniping off” disidents and even if they get missed the clutter makes it effectively a mute point, perfect “I get payed even if I do nothing except c/p the party line from the pamphlet” life for CMs right there

Sounds like a cushy job.

image.png.2f858d9d304acc2f4f4d4ef089948f50.png

Lol what?

• Haha 2

On 8/15/2023 at 11:00 AM, Nevermore135 said:

Any official acknowledgement of this forum would undercut the narrative surrounding the closure of the official forum

Oh, that would be why the NA team shouted us out on-stream last week? 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Oh, that would be why the NA team shouted us out on-stream last week? 

You won’t see WG mining this forum for feedback or input. This is a place for those upset about the closure of the forums to sequester themselves and not cause problems on the discord. The official WG position is that the forums were no longer useful as a way to interact with the playerbase. For the devs to to do so with this forum would undercut that official position. That is the official acknowledgment I was referring to, and a one-time shout-out after the PR blowup of closing the forums is not the same thing.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nevermore135 said:

You won’t see WG mining this forum for feedback or input. This is a place for those upset about the closure of the forums to sequester themselves and not cause problems on the discord. The official WG position is that the forums were no longer useful as a way to interact with the playerbase. For the devs to to do so with this forum would undercut that official position.

Exactly. This forum is not meant to communicate anything towards WG. Any criticism towards them in here is staying here and is therefore not going to impact the game either.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

This is a place for those upset about the closure of the forums to sequester themselves and not cause problems on the discord.

I'm sorry; I thought its purpose was entirely different. Something about old friends wanting to stay in touch with each other in the same manner as they had previously. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I'm sorry; I thought its purpose was entirely different. Something about old friends wanting to stay in touch with each other in the same manner as they had previously. 

🙄

That may be your view of this forum’s purpose, it may be my view, and it may also be the view of many others here.

But it is not WG’s view, which is what I was speaking to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

But it is not WG’s view, which is what I was speaking to.

And you know that this is WG's view because...?

24 minutes ago, EXEC_HYMNE_Ar_tonelico said:

Exactly. This forum is not meant to communicate anything towards WG. Any criticism towards them in here is staying here and is therefore not going to impact the game either.

It never did before either...

7 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

…I really miss the old forum’s “facepalm” emoji.

I already summarized WG’s official reason for closing the official forums.

30 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

The official WG position is that the forums were no longer useful as a way to interact with the playerbase. For the devs to to do so with this forum would undercut that official position. That is the official acknowledgment I was referring to, and a one-time shout-out after the PR blowup of closing the forums is not the same thing.

5 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

These are compiled statements of official WG CMs on discord

image.png.a751e0393edf051ef2fae125b2899493.png

image.thumb.png.5925f6beb8e2bb24d720797ea72f8de1.pngimage.png.cd1c314d2d7cbbe4ec1eb6a6d92d5d54.png

image.png.bf039069026890296d26ee337bc04f5b.pngimage.png.8a52fdec8dfc23621c71b7d3e5f69658.png

image.png.d855bafe6b691772d2a6dced849c33eb.png

6 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

It never did before either...

Let's not let this place degenerate into WG blaming. If you want to make a case provide examples and an argument or stay on topic.

We have multiple topics about WG active already. Maybe I should suggest a sticky option to compile all of it into one.

• Like 3

I don't see anything in WG's official announcements about this forum being here for us to 'sequester ourselves and not cause problems on the discord', as Nevermore put it.