Friesland - “Stealth Assassin” of T9 Ranked????

Utt_Bugglier

No, not stealth as in detection range, which at 6.4km is rather turd-a-licious, but rather:

I think its been pulled from sale for so long, that a lot of newer players aren’t aware of what it is (Groningen twin, or rather Groningen is twin of Friesland), and don’t know what they’re facing.

Took it into Ranked Silver tonight for its first PVP action in a year. First battle, worked myself into a bad position very early, but to gun down a Fletcher with only one turret. (Engine and rudder damage prevented me from bring ing the read turret to bear.)

Second battle, I killed three - took out a Mogador, smoking up in front of him,, hydroing himand falling back in smoke. Had him dead before his speed could get him in assured detection range. Then I hunted down a Minegumo in smoke. Lit him up with hydro. He was standing still and never even hit his throttle after I opened fire before he was sunk. I used his smoke to farm down a burning K14J to close out the battle.

The DDs in particular played rather cavalierly, like they were unaware of what type of DD they were facing. Made me think that the Friesland has been unavailable and unseen for long enough that it’s an unknown to newer players.

Groningen makes a lot of lists as recommended for T9 ranked, but Friesland does not. (Understandably, because people can’t go out and get one)

Or maybe those players I faced were just bad.

At any rate, I like rolling out a destroyer that  “flies under the radar” and at least appears to create some hesitation/uncertainty among opposing DD players.

I’m sure everyone here is aware of it, but those guys seemed clueless...It ain’t often I run across DD players more clueless ‘n me.

• Like 3

Well, most dd players only understand "torp battleships" or "farm battleships" and little else. 

4 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Well, most dd players only understand "torp battleships" or "farm battleships" and little else. 

Any DD player with working neurons also understands "Cap control"

14 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

No, not stealth as in detection range, which at 6.4km is rather turd-a-licious, but rather:

I think its been pulled from sale for so long, that a lot of newer players aren’t aware of what it is (Groningen twin, or rather Groningen is twin of Friesland), and don’t know what they’re facing.

Took it into Ranked Silver tonight for its first PVP action in a year. First battle, worked myself into a bad position very early, but to gun down a Fletcher with only one turret. (Engine and rudder damage prevented me from bring ing the read turret to bear.)

Second battle, I killed three - took out a Mogador, smoking up in front of him,, hydroing himand falling back in smoke. Had him dead before his speed could get him in assured detection range. Then I hunted down a Minegumo in smoke. Lit him up with hydro. He was standing still and never even hit his throttle after I opened fire before he was sunk. I used his smoke to farm down a burning K14J to close out the battle.

The DDs in particular played rather cavalierly, like they were unaware of what type of DD they were facing. Made me think that the Friesland has been unavailable and unseen for long enough that it’s an unknown to newer players.

Groningen makes a lot of lists as recommended for T9 ranked, but Friesland does not. (Understandably, because people can’t go out and get one)

Or maybe those players I faced were just bad.

At any rate, I like rolling out a destroyer that  “flies under the radar” and at least appears to create some hesitation/uncertainty among opposing DD players.

I’m sure everyone here is aware of it, but those guys seemed clueless...It ain’t often I run across DD players more clueless ‘n me.

Your post reminded me of the term "sleeper".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_(car)

The only time my Friesland assassinated anyone was me when I forgot I didn't have torps...

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Neurons are in short supply among this playerbase. Too much eating paint I suspect. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

I can dig that. I had a happy time for a while in Ranked whilst Orkan was still pretty unknown; her radar used to be an unpleasant surprise for a lot of folk it seemed...

19 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Sadly, lately, there have been too few and too far between matches I've played.

• Like 1

I got a Friesland last autumn as a rental from some code. At the time, there was a brawl suited for it and I took it in for the duration of the missions and did half way decent with it. I like gun boats but this is way different than a regular gun boat. 

52 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I can dig that. I had a happy time for a while in Ranked whilst Orkan was still pretty unknown; her radar used to be an unpleasant surprise for a lot of folk it seemed...

I’m hoping my happy time will last one more battle; I’m only one win away from grabbing the last bit of Steel in Silver League.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thornzero said:

I got a Friesland last autumn as a rental from some code. At the time, there was a brawl suited for it and I took it in for the duration of the missions and did half way decent with it. I like gun boats but this is way different than a regular gun boat. 

Yeah, “different” was what I needed. I have been using Black for T9 ranked for some time, but have been having a harder time with it - especially against German DDs. Their hydro outlasts Black’s radar many times over, and if you spot them before radaring, you have no speed to escape from their hydro. And when my radar was done, if they weren’t killed, well….

So, the toolset I decided I needed was hydro (if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.) and gunfire that keeps the shells coming nose-to-tail. Def AA and a little more speed are bonuses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Groniland is my most successful T9 ship by far.  Ranked really helps it's strengths shine.

...an older game but I've have a few nearly as good including another near clean sweep like this one.... Have the vid of this one online somewhere....

image.thumb.png.69fa131a709b861c6f229059ce079c12.png

image.thumb.png.5a383afd759659cfc5468f3abe0965a4.png

image.thumb.png.33652d4f4270619447dee0153155d3ea.png

Since I have both ships, I have setup Gron for ranked with the difference being I dropped Sup for a complete fire build with the special captain.  You can really a tell a difference in that 1.5% increase....

Edited by YouSatInGum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1