Work in Progress: Update 13.6

Aethervox

This, imo, is a 'work'. What kind of 'work' is for each to decide. My take with the limited info is this;

Mode Shuffle: Pass   

New Fre (partial) DD line: What is the point?  Confirmation Wedgie doesn't care about T3s & T4s. Variable torp damage? I have no interest in this 'gimmick'.

Brawls: These look interesting, especially T5 (with a 5 player division) &, also, the T6 only BBs allowed (a battlewagon shoot out). The T7? Subs & CVs? (forget about it)

Combat Mission Chains: I guess, maybe ...

Starting Bonuses (for Newcomers): Wedgie must be getting desperate. 21 pt Cpts for T6s & T7s? Plenty of resources added. Watch the New Player accounts rush up the lines. I can see T6 & T7 being ruined  soon (perhaps, Wedgie's intent?). Not many tiers left that aren't being continually ruined (now or soon), imo. Well, there's still T2 to T4, I guess?

Who is this Youtube Community Manager 'Shvrtya'? Rather 'young looking' for such a WG employment position, imo (which is why I will ignore information from this WG source).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bored 1

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

one of his favorite ships is the Shimakaze

Sure, that's OK. It is one of my few T10s that I possess (ofc, I wish I could play it better 😁).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

Starting Bonuses (for Newcomers): Wedgie must be getting desperate. 21 pt Cpts for T6s & T7s? Plenty of resources added. Watch the New Player accounts rush up the lines. I can see T6 & T7 being ruined  soon (perhaps, Wedgie's intent?). Not many tiers left that aren't being continually ruined (now or soon), imo. Well, there's still T2 to T4, I guess?

I think that is PTS for newcomers. Nothing to see here.

I'm looking forward to the brawls. Looks interesting.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Confirmation Wedgie doesn't care about T3s & T4s.

It's a line split at Tier 5, just like the IJN destroyers back in the day. The T2 to T4 Fr DDs are there if you want to play through them again. Or if you have to.

Why don't you tell us which extra classes they might have fitted at Tiers 3 or 4 that they didn't.

• Bored 1

5 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Who is this Youtube Community Manager 'Shvrtya'? Rather 'young looking' for such a WG employment position, imo (which is why I will ignore information from this WG source)

It seems Wargaming is targeting the 'younger' demographic. 

I expect more lopsided wins and defeats as the new bloods race to higher tiers. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Brawls: These look interesting, especially T5 (with a 5 player division) &, also, the T6 only BBs allowed (a battlewagon shoot out). The T7? Subs & CVs? (forget about it)

There is no cv/subs in the T7 brawls. Just in case you misread it.

• Like 3
  • Bored 1

2 hours ago, thornzero said:

There is no cv/subs in the T7 brawls. Just in case you misread it.

He really shows himself up here, doesn't he?

• Like 1
  • Bored 2

16 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Who is this Youtube Community Manager 'Shvrtya'? Rather 'young looking' for such a WG employment position, imo (which is why I will ignore information from this WG source).  

How old should he look, before you will consider the information from this source?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Bored 1

32 minutes ago, Verytis said:

How old should he look, before you will consider the information from this source?

Perhaps more like Jingles? In general terms, like someone born in the past millennium like most of us around here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Perhaps more like Jingles? In general terms, like someone born in the past millennium like most of us around here.

Assessing someone's competency, "goodness", talents and/or proficiency solely according to how they look?
Seems like "discrimination", to me.  

• Bored 2

12 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Assessing someone's competency, "goodness", talents and/or proficiency solely according to how they look?

Haven't the foggiest. Maybe it's what they call 'positive discrimination'?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Haven't the foggiest. Maybe it's what they call 'positive discrimination'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination

"... Discrimination is the process of making unfair or prejudicial distinctions between people based on the groups, classes, or other categories to which they belong or are perceived to belong, such as race, gender, age, religion, physical attractiveness or sexual orientation  ..."

• Confused 1
  • Bored 1

18 hours ago, Aethervox said:

which is why I will ignore information from this WG source

Does what he's saying make sense?

That's how you determine whether he's worth listening to.

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 1
  • Bored 1

55 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Well, if we were talking about age here, in most cases outside of the concept of seniority in corporate hierarchy, they would be discriminating against the old, not the young.

I’m surprised nobody has commented of the new event pass.

For years now there has been a standard pattern regarding which ships can be obtained solely through grind in early access and which would require paying cash/doubloons. Typically, for new lines starting at lower tiers the tier VII ship is obtainable for free, usually for tokens or part of some bundle chain. For lines that start at tier VIII, the first new ship also usually doesn’t require monetary investment (for example, Kansas and Cherbourg were mission/directive rewards, Yumihari was in the armory for grindable amounts of tokens, etc.). WG broke this pattern in February of last year when Nebraska was placed in the paid battle pass, but has notably not done so since. We have seen a long-existing tech tree tier VIII DD in the LNY event pass, as well as the tier VIII EU DD put behind a paywall in early access, but not a tier VII.

I typically consider the battle/event pass good value, and the only one I’ve passed on was the aforementioned NB pass last year because I didn’t like the movement of typically free content behind a paywall. I was honestly hoping the devs read the room last time and wouldn’t do so again. I find this development discouraging.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 3

On 6/19/2024 at 4:52 PM, Aethervox said:

In mother Russia,  14 year old is brightest bulb in box.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, WES_HoundDog said:

In mother Russia,  14 year old is brightest bulb in box.

Youth was a Russian inwention.  😉 
1495a5e01dc6db90f507c6b757ba0089.jpg&f=1 

• Haha 2

I am disappoint to see Weegee reduce the reward for techtree early release giveaway.

It is a great way to make people to grind more with or without xp bonus, or burn fxps. For those who frequent T5-7, it may be a good news for them as there will be more actual human, but for me, even if I grind those boat in random I am not going to stay there. I rather spend time to do Aki/Kita for reset, or Thunderer if I am on routine daily grind.

My dealbreaker is whether the compensation for Siroco is interesting enough, I think it will be not interesting enough just like the commonwealth cruiser line.

Edited by a252
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

I’m surprised nobody has commented of the new event pass.

For years now there has been a standard pattern regarding which ships can be obtained solely through grind in early access and which would require paying cash/doubloons. Typically, for new lines starting at lower tiers the tier VII ship is obtainable for free, usually for tokens or part of some bundle chain. For lines that start at tier VIII, the first new ship also usually doesn’t require monetary investment (for example, Kansas and Cherbourg were mission/directive rewards, Yumihari was in the armory for grindable amounts of tokens, etc.). WG broke this pattern in February of last year when Nebraska was placed in the paid battle pass, but has notably not done so since. We have seen a long-existing tech tree tier VIII DD in the LNY event pass, as well as the tier VIII EU DD put behind a paywall in early access, but not a tier VII.

I typically consider the battle/event pass good value, and the only one I’ve passed on was the aforementioned NB pass last year because I didn’t like the movement of typically free content behind a paywall. I was honestly hoping the devs read the room last time and wouldn’t do so again. I find this development discouraging.

dont forget that T6 and maybe T8 will be obtainable through personal missions. Permabonus for them probaly too.

On PTS free and paid BP have more coal than currently, so that would be an improvement

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ReDiR20 said:

dont forget that T6 and maybe T8 will be obtainable through personal missions. Permabonus for them probaly too.

With the tier VII being the reward for the paid line of the event pass, there is almost no chance WG will make the tier VIII in the new line available for free (in-game grind), as it will undercut the incentive for players to purchase the event pass. Based on the comments both here and on Reddit, there is a not-insignificant fraction of the playerbase that considers the final reward of the event pass as the determining factor in their purchasing decision - the devs would be shooting themselves in the foot to offer a free way to circumvent paying for the tier VII.

I’m somewhat surprised that WG didn’t pursue the same strategy they did with the last EU DD release in early access. For that event the tier VII was a grindable reward, while the tier VIII was put behind a paywall in the event pass. It seemed like WG was testing the waters by both preserving the expected status quo (tier VII of the line could be obtained F2P in EA) and offering up more rapid progresssion in EA (the tier VIII) for paying customers in a slightly different manner (i.e. still cash/doubloons + grind like, for example, sequential bundles).

2 hours ago, ReDiR20 said:

On PTS free and paid BP have more coal than currently, so that would be an improvement

I haven’t completely ruled out next update’s event pass, although I would also caution putting too much stock in the PTS pass making it to the live server unchanged (just look at what happened with the current event pass). As I said, I normally consider the total reward package to be a good value. I also don’t particularly care for obtaining ships in early access, as the low tier grinds go by very quickly in the current economy and there is value in starting lines at lower tiers to gradually acclimate to a line’s features/“flavor.” Moving content that in the past would have been available F2P behind a paywall just rubs me and many others the wrong way, and should be noted.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

the only one I’ve passed on was the aforementioned NB pass last year because I didn’t like the movement of typically free content behind a paywall.

My feelings on this are mixed. If it's a T8 behind the paywall with a T8 Permanent Economic Bonus, it's an automatic good-value proposition for me because the PEB alone is worth the cost of admission. In the case of the Pan-Am cruisers, buying Allende gave me access to the mission that got me Santander's PEB, and that was cheaper than buying it for the Santander afterwards would have been. 

In the case of the French DD battle pass, those who don't yet have the Siroco are getting a premium T5 French DD as well as the T7 PEB and the associated ship, and that's definitely an equivalent-or-better deal. I do already have her, so for me it's not an automatic buy and it probably comes down to what her compensation is, and whether that plus a T7 econ bonus, a jump start up the grind (time and credits) and a couple of permaskins are worth the doubloon price. Given that I never buy the battle pass until after I've finished all the stages anyway, I've got plenty of time to make up my mind.

Overall, I take the Battle Passes on a case by case basis. The last one, IIRC, was an easy yes; the one we're on now is an easy no. The one coming up is on a knife edge.

42 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

just look at what happened with the current event pass

I suspect that enough people flipped their ship over the appropriateness or otherwise of the swimsuit commanders that they decided to make them voluntary content. So you might have an example of listening to the playerbase right there. Remember also that the PTS rewards might differ from the live server, because they don't want to give the ships out on PTS.

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

It seems to be a concern only because our host is attempting to change game markets....  That young man is whom those young new players will feel comfortable with...

And, as I have said before, many of us have interacted with some very good "Like" generation VG players at Universities involved in NACE....  They are not all clueless, noodle neck stupid heads....that chase their tails because.......they can?!

We shall judge him/they/them/those (anyone know the Russian pronouns?) by the content of their message versus the lack of wrinkles on their his/their face....

Nuff said - let's move on, eh?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ReDiR20 said:

It depends, last time I had to grind all the way from T5 Delhi. So I don't have expectations that T6 will be available. Personal mission is just another way to set a bar. They can go easy for t6 ship or set a high bar asking for tremendous effort,

I that extra coal within PTS BP is just a placeholder.