WOWS UEFA Euro Thread

Tricericon

Australians too call it soccer, but that's because - like the Americans - we have our own national football game, and if you say "football" in Australia you are automatically assumed to be talking about the Australian Rules game (we call the American version gridiron). The British have one too, but they call it something else (Rugby), so calling it football causes no confusion there. 

• Like 1

Like others, I've enjoyed learning about the nomenclature and etymology of "soccer" and "football" and the regional uses of the words.  🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gaelic_knight said:

no but tell me where Torcida is  . please enlighten me 

Torcida is not a place, it is what hooligans would call a 'firm'. I guess she means this specific one: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torcida_Split

I just realized the English versión of the article is rather slim. Those guys are full blown hooligans with a long history of violent behavior.

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Australians too call it soccer, but that's because - like the Americans - we have our own national football game, and if you say "football" in Australia you are automatically assumed to be talking about the Australian Rules game (we call the American version gridiron). The British have one too, but they call it something else (Rugby), so calling it football causes no confusion there. 

You missed referring to Canadian Football (CFL) similar to American Football (NFL). Cdns also use 'soccer' for 'football'. 

15 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

You missed referring to Canadian Football (CFL) similar to American Football (NFL).

We play hockey here, son. 😋

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lady Anesjka said:

Betting it all on my home. Fight me.

image.png.95b40c3432dfaac8d989d527de9c8904.png

why NA server?

Why you heff to be mad? (Original)

Back to the topic at hand, I'll start by using these odds charts since I don't follow this stuff in the least.  Rudimentary, but will probably be just fine for me.  One is from Fox Sports, one from Vegas Insider, the first two hits when I search "uefa euro odds".

image.thumb.png.42bfe650622a1acdfe78a167f2b05e7e.png

odds2.png

• Like 2

That's an excellent strategy, there's just one thing to keep an eye on: Since those are the odds to win *the tournament*, make sure you refresh the odds before each round because there will be some "meta" factors cooked in you don't want (e.g. Belgium got upset in game one so their seeding has been damaged and they're less likely to win the tournament, but they are actually at least as good as Italy, probably better).

The good news is that by the time you reach the knockouts "group stage misadventure" will be ancient history and things like "got drawn into the hard half of the bracket" will equal out for picking head to head matchups.

Personally I'm going to roll with Goalimpact's predictions, although his head to head choices are very unlikely to differ from the markets unless the teams are very evenly matched anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

why NA server?

image.gif.32b5735592a766baade03a8664062226.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Torcida is not a place, it is what hooligans would call a 'firm'. I guess she means this specific one: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torcida_Split

I just realized the English versión of the article is rather slim. Those guys are full blown hooligans with a long history of violent behavior.

Uhh, maybe a video can be more clear.

image.thumb.png.15d59c79f6b87fb2af5294ee084bcd50.png

Edited by Lady Anesjka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Anesjka said:

Uhh, maybe a video can be more clear.

image.thumb.png.15d59c79f6b87fb2af5294ee084bcd50.png

I wonder if I should purchase stock in companies that manufacture flares?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I wonder if I should purchase stock in companies that manufacture flares?

The way thing going in world now. You better off buying stock in places that make bullets.
How America go, so do the world.
Rusija doing war and they support Srbija, so this giving Srbs reason to start to pick at same old things with us and they doing threats again.

All of EU on edge of war with so many itching to pick a fight. Is like, people in power only think of profit to come from war, not the lives lost or changed.

https://www.index.hr/vijesti/clanak/hrvatska-i-srbija-su-u-diplomatskom-ratu-sto-stoji-iza-toga/2514478.aspx
https://tangosix.rs/2024/08/01/vucic-za-razliku-od-hrvatske-nabavicemo-nove-borbene-avione-prvi-put-pomenut-novi-kineski-pvo-sistem-novi-dron-kamikaza-komarac/

Just now, Lady Anesjka said:

The way thing going in world now. You better off buying stock in places that make bullets.
How America go, so do the world.
Rusija doing war and they support Srbija, so this giving Srbs reason to start to pick at same old things with us and they doing threats again.

All of EU on edge of war with so many itching to pick a fight. Is like, people in power only think of profit to come from war, not the lives lost or changed.

https://www.index.hr/vijesti/clanak/hrvatska-i-srbija-su-u-diplomatskom-ratu-sto-stoji-iza-toga/2514478.aspx
https://tangosix.rs/2024/08/01/vucic-za-razliku-od-hrvatske-nabavicemo-nove-borbene-avione-prvi-put-pomenut-novi-kineski-pvo-sistem-novi-dron-kamikaza-komarac/

Yeah.  "Bad joke" on my part.
For what it is worth, I'm sad about the lives lost, too.

Ummm...guys...can we please avoid discussions of politics & world events? We aren't going to resolve any of these issues, but there is a good chance it would lead to arguments and bad feelings among the players who come here to talk about the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, oldblackdog said:

Ummm...guys...can we please avoid discussions of politics & world events? We aren't going to resolve any of these issues, but there is a good chance it would lead to arguments and bad feelings among the players who come here to talk about the game.

Thanks, you beat me posting on pretty much the same response 👍.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Oh, it might have been you saying "I am a citizen, not a subject", without really thinking about the degree to which your statement denigrates people in Commonwealth countries.

What fragile people they must have become to be denigrated by truth.  I served with quite a few people from CW countries during the first Gulf War. They were always quite friendly, good natured and loved to laugh. One thing that I had in common with my Canadian and Aussie friends was we all liked to make fun of our British friends.  It was truly something that united us.

Things must have really changed since the war.  The stuff that we would call each other would probably make your little tiny head explode, not even sure had I called them a subject, it would have registered at all.  

Edited by Taylor3006

The round of 16 is all set, with the first game being played June 29th. WG will let you start betting your soccer tokens in a few hours.

I'm picking the following, in descending order of confidence. I don't see odds for individual games yet, but given the odds to win the tournament they won't deviate from this except for perhaps minor reordering.

(1) Spain over Georgia
(2) England over Slovakia
(3) Portugal over Slovenia
(4) Netherlands over Romania
(5) Germany over Denmark
(6) France over Belgium
(7) Italy over Switzerland
(8) Austria over Turkey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tricericon said:

The round of 16 is all set, with the first game being played June 29th. WG will let you start betting your soccer tokens in a few hours.

I'm picking the following, in descending order of confidence. I don't see odds for individual games yet, but given the odds to win the tournament they won't deviate from this except for perhaps minor reordering.

(1) Spain over Georgia
(2) England over Slovakia
(3) Portugal over Slovenia
(5) Germany over Denmark
(6) France over Belgium
(7) Italy over Switzerland
(8) Austria over Turkey

Switz and Belgium will likely cook their opponents. 

5 hours ago, ReDiR20 said:

Switz and Belgium will likely cook their opponents. 

I have France and Italy each as about 60-40 favorites.

The markets are actually slightly more confident than me in those two picks overall, giving Italy a 55-60% shot and France 70-75% assuming 50-50 split of a potential shootout and therefore the tie category, but by all means put your tokens on Belgium and Switzerland and we'll see how it plays out.

FWIW, if I was to summarize the above the link in the same way I summarized my picks, it would look like this:

(1) Spain over Georgia
(2) Portugal over Slovenia*
(2) England over Slovakia*
(5) Germany over Denmark
(6) France over Belgium*
(6) Austria over Turkey*
(8) Italy over Switzerland

*Indicates effectively a tie in the odds.

Some slight reordering of confidence, all the same favorites.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tricericon said:

The markets are actually slightly more confident than me in those two picks overall, giving Italy a 55-60% shot and France 70-75% assuming 50-50 split of a potential shootout and therefore the tie category, but by all means put your tokens on Belgium and Switzerland and we'll see how it plays out.

FWIW, if I was to summarize the above the link in the same way I summarized my picks, it would look like this:

(1) Spain over Georgia
(5) Germany over Denmark
(6) France over Belgium*
(6) Austria over Turkey*

Ty for digging into it. We'll see how it goes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tricericon said:

(1) Spain over Georgia
(5) Germany over Denmark
(6) France over Belgium*
(6) Austria over Turkey*

Mostly follows what I posted above.  The devil in the details will be the upsets.  But I don't really follow it so going with the favorites all the way.

• Like 3

Yeah its official, I have Zero interests in watching or following sports or different teams. I just shot from the hip with no clue here, so I dont imagine winning anything.

image.thumb.png.8fdb48fddb1e4c00d7ca1085cb3eec70.png

image.thumb.png.87eef68375d6e929468928469dc7f2f3.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Yeah its official, I have Zero interests in watching or following sports or different teams. I just shot from the hip with no clue here, so I dont imagine winning anything.

image.thumb.png.8fdb48fddb1e4c00d7ca1085cb3eec70.png

image.thumb.png.87eef68375d6e929468928469dc7f2f3.png

& We Have A Winner!!!