WOWS UEFA Euro Thread

Tricericon

2 minutes ago, Tricericon said:

The predecessor games to both are older than Robin Hood, sure, but the two were codified within a few years of each other & neither has particularly more claim on the legacy of "mob football" than the other.

theres even reference the greeks played a form of football m8

if this is the actuall draw then i would bet on england , belgium, germany ,france and spain  as for portugal v croatia thats a tough one as there both past euro winners 

shot-24.06.18_14.52.19-0204.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tricericon said:

The predecessor games to both are older than Robin Hood, sure, but the two were codified within a few years of each other & neither has particularly more claim on the legacy of "mob football" than the other.

Robin hood  is refered to be around 12th century 

2 minutes ago, Gaelic_knight said:

if this is the actuall draw then i would bet on england , belgium, germany ,france and spain  as for portugal v croatia thats a tough one as there both past euro winners 

shot-24.06.18_14.52.19-0204.jpg

theres around 8 in total past euro winners  listed

58 minutes ago, Gaelic_knight said:

what ever pleases you m8 .. keep taking them happy pills 

Pills? LOL I am unmedicated, happy, and flourishing.  I require no one's permission to do or say what I please. I am a citizen, not a subject. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to mention that "The Beautiful Game" missions are open to ships from tiers 3 & 4. Need that last hundred xp for a crate? Dust off one of your low-tier favorites... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Pills? LOL I am unmedicated, happy, and flourishing.  I require no one's permission to do or say what I please. I am a citizen, not a subject. 

AND I AM NOT A NUMBER

4 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I am a citizen, not a subject. 

You Americans. Sometimes I think you're locked in a time warp where George III is still King.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

You Americans. Sometimes I think you're locked in a time warp where George III is still King.

Lol.  Is this the same time warp where Trudy disarmed Canada on a whim?  

Betting it all on my home. Fight me.

image.png.95b40c3432dfaac8d989d527de9c8904.png

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Lady Anesjka said:

Betting it all on my home. Fight me.

image.png.95b40c3432dfaac8d989d527de9c8904.png

Former EURO champions . I love there strip with the red and white checkers

8 hours ago, Gaelic_knight said:

Team wear the šahovnića as a flick off to a certain country...

image.gif.90436fca9ed03c9803443457f7739b58.gif

Edit: Small back story, Srbija get a cat in they pants every time the crest is display. They cry and say it is like a spit about WW2, but they never mention it is they who try to grovel to Hitler first. They also fail to mention WW1 atrocities they commit.
We have be welcoming to Srbs since they flee to this region around 900 AD but ever since they have always pick fights and try to take our land, by moving in and attempting to replace as we seen in Knin by force.
Sorry for being political but maybe some not aware of the smaller things that lead to some of issues of the day.

34 minutes ago, Lady Anesjka said:

Team wear the šahovnića as a flick off to a certain country...

image.gif.90436fca9ed03c9803443457f7739b58.gif

Edit: Small back story, Srbija get a cat in they pants every time the crest is display. They cry and say it is like a spit about WW2, but they never mention it is they who try to grovel to Hitler first. They also fail to mention WW1 atrocities they commit.
We have be welcoming to Srbs since they flee to this region around 900 AD but ever since they have always pick fights and try to take our land, by moving in and attempting to replace as we seen in Knin ( like moslems ) or by force.
Sorry for being political but maybe some not aware of the smaller things that lead to some of issues of the day.

what is that got to do with football . why is  politics and religion always brought up at sports events 

4 minutes ago, Gaelic_knight said:

what is that got to do with football . why is  politics and religion always brought up at sports events 

As someone link before, Football always seem to start serious problems in country that take it serious.

1 hour ago, meatgrindr said:

Lol.  Is this the same time warp where Trudy disarmed Canada on a whim?  

hes a puppet for the usa    but why are we bringing in politics into the game 

have you watched any world cup or euro matches . every team takes it seriously even the smaller known teams that manage to qualify take it serously  and very proud to make it as far as they have 

have you ever watched any local teams  when its a derby match 

2 minutes ago, Gaelic_knight said:

have you watched any world cup or euro matches . every team takes it seriously even the smaller known teams that manage to qualify take it serously  and very proud to make it as far as they have 

have you ever watched any local teams  when its a derby match 

Do you know of Torcida ?
I am in Klis, I refuse to go into town on match days.
Torcida are suicidal.

3 hours ago, Gaelic_knight said:

When did Croatia win EURO??? As far as I know, they have never reached the final. Yugoslavia did twice, but lost on both occasions.

7 hours ago, Gaelic_knight said:

hes a puppet for the usa

Broaden your focus.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Not sure why you would think that. Actually seems rather stupid and ill informed of you to say that. 

12 hours ago, Gaelic_knight said:

AND I AM NOT A NUMBER

Bless your heart. 

• Haha 1
  • Bored 1

13 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Not sure why you would think that.

Oh, it might have been you saying "I am a citizen, not a subject", without really thinking about the degree to which your statement denigrates people in Commonwealth countries.

8 hours ago, Lady Anesjka said:

Do you know of Torcida ?
I am in Klis, I refuse to go into town on match days.
Torcida are suicidal.

no but tell me where Torcida is  . please enlighten me 

11 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Oh, it might have been you saying "I am a citizen, not a subject", without really thinking about the degree to which your statement denigrates people in Commonwealth countries.

oh i thought he was quoting an old TV series , the prisoner 

17 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

What is the relationship between the two terms? Never been able to figure it out.

Others have covered the thing off most satisfactorily already, but there's also this: https://www.britannica.com/story/why-do-some-people-call-football-soccer

Rather a lot of Brits are especially keen not to be mistaken for Americans (imagine the shame!), so we tend to be quite vehement about using 'football' rather than 'soccer', even though - linguistically - there's nothing wrong with the latter, and - as already mentioned - it isn't even a ghastly Americanism.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Others have covered the thing off most satisfactorily already, but there's also this: https://www.britannica.com/story/why-do-some-people-call-football-soccer

Rather a lot of Brits are especially keen not to be mistaken for Americans (imagine the shame!), so we tend to be quite vehement about using 'football' rather than 'soccer', even though - linguistically - there's nothing wrong with the latter, and - as already mentioned - it isn't even a ghastly Americanism.

Yes, this has now been pretty thoroughly covered, thanks everyone! I gathered it was short for 'association football' and it clearly was (and still is) easier to talk about soccer than about association football, and in the US they obviously couldn't keep calling both games just 'football' either.

Strangely, in Japan neither game is called just football.... one is sakkaa and the other is apparently called amerikanfuttobooru or amefuto. I'll leave you to figure out which is which.