The 50% Blues

Schnitchelkid01_

I have been working to make myself a better Wows player, starting at 48% and change last year I worked myself up to a 50% winrate very quickly. The problem now is, it is such a hard time getting any headway past 50%. Some days are good days and some days you are in 4 straight blowout losses where I just try and kite away and get as much damage done as possible before the match ends. I would say, maybe I am getting worse but my average damage and experience and such keeps going up at a steady pace? It is just weird... I am calling this the "50% blues"... I was going through some really good game streaks to get to 50%, like 8 or 9 wins in a row at several times per week, but now things just seem to be getting worse... Maybe I just need to play a bunch of randoms to get past it or the playerbase around me keeps getting worse? Idk what to think....

Edited by Schnitchelkid01_
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

I have been working to make myself a better Wows player, starting at 48% and change last year I worked myself up to a 50% winrate very quickly. The problem now is, it is such a hard time getting any headway past 50%. Some days are good days and some days you are in 4 straight blowout losses where I just try and kite away and get as much damage done as possible before the match ends. I would say, maybe I am getting worse but my average damage and experience and such keeps going up at a steady pace? It is just weird... I am calling this the "50% blues"... I was going through some really good game streaks to get to 50%, like 8 or 9 wins in a row at several times per week, but now things just seem to be getting worse... Maybe I just need to play a bunch of randoms to get past it or the playerbase around me keeps getting worse? Idk what to think....

The path to get better is a struggle, it will take time, new ships, new gameplay styles and lots of battles. Don't beat yourself up that you're not getting higher WR. Remember you shouldn't be sad over your overall WR, check your recents. Past 1000 battles, past 500 battles, past 30 days etc. If those stats are better than your overall then you're definitely improving. 

Now we can always try and help you more, what ships do you enjoy, what are your build and how do you usually play?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

The path to get better is a struggle, it will take time, new ships, new gameplay styles and lots of battles. Don't beat yourself up that you're not getting higher WR. Remember you shouldn't be sad over your overall WR, check your recents. Past 1000 battles, past 500 battles, past 30 days etc. If those stats are better than your overall then you're definitely improving. 

Now we can always try and help you more, what ships do you enjoy, what are your build and how do you usually play?

Started out a while ago with the German BB's (it was a good learning experience tbh and they are fun), however I played cruisers and that certainly improved how good of a player I was. I am still very new with most DD's, I did have fun with the Italian DD's and the Regalo is a fun ship. I enjoy playing Heavy Cruisers, Battleships, I am still getting used to light cruiser gameplay and I am ok with gunboat DD's. Right now I am getting the British Battlecruisers finished and the Yamato will be next after that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Remember you shouldn't be sad over your overall WR, check your recents. Past 1000 battles, past 500 battles, past 30 days etc. If those stats are better than your overall then you're definitely improving. 

That's the point, but hard to realize and to accept in - between. Stat wise progress comes in permille ... that takes time, lots of time. 

Edited by OT2_2
  • Like 2

Statistically, the more games you play, the harder it is to raise your average. This is probably why you raised quickly last year, when you were at perhaps 1500 games, but now you are at 2500 games it is getting tougher. Going forward, each game contributes a smaller amount to your average.

Also, your average was set when you were a noob, playing badly. Ignore the winning and losing streaks, as long as you are currently consistently averaging above 50% on a weekly or monthly basis you are doing good.

I believe the average player is 49%, so if you are doing better than that you are doing well.

Edited by palestreamer
grammar
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

I feel the same, im pretty sure I have been stuck at 58% WR for the last 5 years or more. Zero progression, im guessing I just have hit my ceiling. 

But I stopped caring a long time ago. You just have to play some games in Randoms at T10 these days and you will get a pretty accurate reading of you're skills. If you're constantly top 5 or even top 3 on you're team in both wins and losses .... you're good. If you constantly die within the first 7-9 min ..... not so much.

• Like 3
  • Bored 1

20 hours ago, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

Started out a while ago with the German BB's (it was a good learning experience tbh and they are fun), however I played cruisers and that certainly improved how good of a player I was. I am still very new with most DD's, I did have fun with the Italian DD's and the Regalo is a fun ship. I enjoy playing Heavy Cruisers, Battleships, I am still getting used to light cruiser gameplay and I am ok with gunboat DD's. Right now I am getting the British Battlecruisers finished and the Yamato will be next after that.

Hmm I would say grind some DD lines if you haven't already. Daring, Gearing and Kleber are all great lines with different styles of play to help you carry efficiently. If not for cruisers then I would say Petro, Des Moines and Castilla lines. Sometimes I find it easier to carry a game playing a cruiser than a BB, however it really depends on what cruiser and what matchup.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

First of all, you deserve praise for reaching out and trying to improve -- it isn't always an easy road but I promise you the journey is worth it. 

Regarding your OP, I think you're letting yourself get overwhelmed by the enormity of getting better at multiple classes at the same time while you're grinding out tech trees. That is obviously going to cost you wins as you adjust to each new ship and jump between play styles. With that approach, you'll likely not feel satisfied because there are too many variables to be able to guage whether you've gotten better. 

----

If you want a more tangible handhold, I would recommend sticking with the same ship for 20 battles without much interruption by other classes (can be spread over several days to randomize the matchmaking a bit). 

When you're done, watch the 20 replays. ~7 of them will be auto-losses; not much to be done but padding stats as much as possible. Also ~7 will be auto-wins where MM gave you the obviously superior team. The remaining ~6 are the matches that could have gone either way. 

Identify these swing matches, study what went right/wrong. This is where you improve your WR. 

----

Once you're done with one ship, repeat the process with another (sub-)class. Eventually you'll get an eye for the swing matches and can study them in a more targeted manner. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

"Nobody gets out of here without singin' the blues."  😉 

Adventures in Babysitting tribute - 30th Anniversary

21 hours ago, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

I think one of the "secrets" that the best players become very proficient in doing, is learning to read a situation.
Good players will be able to assess what's going on and remain three to four steps ahead of their competition and act accordingly.

That is not to say they win every game. 
It's simply that they're able to wring the best performance out of their ship and themselves because they have an understanding of every player and ship's options and tactics and what they're likely to do next.

Consider viewing @Lord_Zath's Twitch stream and possibly submitting a replay for him to review, or post a youtube video of your replay and we can all view it with the intention of giving constructive feedback.  🙂 
If uploading to youtube isn't feasible, perhaps @BOBTHEBALL can help?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I'm always open to help!

• Thanks 1

I have almost 24K games under my belt.  My rate is 57% (rounded).

If we continue to use rounded numbers, the following occurs:

If I lose 100 straight games, guess what my rate becomes?  57%

If I win 100 straight game, guess what my rate becomes?  57%

At some point, it simply does not matter anymore.  I'll be 57% the rest of my life.

Keep in mind that win rate does not determine how good you are.  You are as good as you are regardless of the mathematics of win/loss.  And in general, over a long time of play, your win rate will converge on how good you are.  Even those who re-roll an account will ultimately converge to a rate.  The difference is they will often converge from above vice converging from below.  And in terms of how good they are, they are the same player playing just as good (or bad) as before.

I was sub 50% for a good bit of my early days.  38% comes to mind.  But that was probably my contribution as the proverbial newbie.

Also, one can "pad" their stats so to speak.  I'm 65% in my seal clubber GC.  If that's all I played, I could slowly push my numbers up.  But for what?  A few decimal points?  Not to mention it does NOTHING to reflect how good I am in general.  I'm a 57% player.  That's it.  Or I could re-roll (and find a tech tree clubber) and appear to be a 65% player.  Looks pretty. But it doesn't change how good I am.

The other thing to consider is that I have kinda reached a niche of play. I play a lot of T8 and have a lot of experience with BBs at that level.  Thus, I tend to play better than 57% with a lot of those BBs. Running 61% in Vanguard at the moment.  It's a great ship when played properly. On the flip side, I'm kinda crappy with my Hannover (55% is crappy for me).  I don't do as well at the high tiers above T8.  I also don't like that meta much.

Keep in mind that as one is running through the tiers ands collecting ships, your win rate will not be as good as it will be once you settle in on your favorites.  You simply don't have the time to gather the experience necessary to understand how a ship works in the environment.  Once you kinda settle down with some ships you enjoy, figure out how they work in the tier range, you'll find your WR increasing. 

For example.  My KM T8 BB top tier I'm looking to push in early and make myself felt (while not getting focused and dying early).  A balance between getting punches in to help my lower tier teammates and staying alive.  Simply sniping and staying alive (and even topping out on team) is a lose situation because when top tier you gotta pull weight from the start.  When bottom tier where there are lots of T10 that can smack me or burn me, I gotta play it safe.  It's the T10 that carry the weight early.  I'm around to make the difference to swing the fight.  And there are exceptions...with lots of terrain I'll run my Bismarck like a heavy cruiser and push up...but only because I can limit T10 firing angles.  Three totally difference types of engagements depending on the tiers and map.  T9 is a mix and match situation.

Finally keep in mind that the difference between a 60% player and a 50% player is the 60% player can swing one game in ten from the loss column to the win column.  Only ONE game in TEN!!!  The difference between 55% and 50% is one game in twenty.

Have fun.  Play for fun.  Learn from mistakes.  Correct.  Learn some more.  Given time, you get better.  And at end of day, it's not your WR that determines how good you are.  You are simply as good as you are. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Hmm I would say grind some DD lines if you haven't already. Daring, Gearing and Kleber are all great lines with different styles of play to help you carry efficiently. If not for cruisers then I would say Petro, Des Moines and Castilla lines. Sometimes I find it easier to carry a game playing a cruiser than a BB, however it really depends on what cruiser and what matchup.

I got the Petro and it is one of my favorite ships to play (but in all honesty the Soviet Cruiser playstyle is getting a little bit old for me but I do enjoy them in Clan Battles)

6 minutes ago, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

I got the Petro and it is one of my favorite ships to play (but in all honesty the Soviet Cruiser playstyle is getting a little bit old for me but I do enjoy them in Clan Battles)

Do you have the leg mod? It opens a whole new can of worms. I hated Petro so much before they released it, after I got it though. I fixed my Petro stats from Orange to Light blue and enjoy that amazing ship.

1 hour ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Do you have the leg mod? It opens a whole new can of worms. I hated Petro so much before they released it, after I got it though. I fixed my Petro stats from Orange to Light blue and enjoy that amazing ship.

I am going after the Gouden Leeuw legmod first because it is hilarious and overpowered

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

I am going after the Gouden Leeuw legmod first because it is hilarious and overpowered

Yeah good idea, I'm gonna get it soon as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

At some point, it simply does not matter anymore.  I'll be 57% the rest of my life.

Keep in mind that win rate does not determine how good you are.  You are as good as you are regardless of the mathematics of win/loss.  And in general, over a long time of play, your win rate will converge on how good you are.  Even those who re-roll an account will ultimately converge to a rate.  The difference is they will often converge from above vice converging from below.  And in terms of how good they are, they are the same player playing just as good (or bad) as before.

I was sub 50% for a good bit of my early days.  38% comes to mind.  But that was probably my contribution as the proverbial newbie.

Also, one can "pad" their stats so to speak.  I'm 65% in my seal clubber GC.  If that's all I played, I could slowly push my numbers up.  But for what?  A few decimal points?  Not to mention it does NOTHING to reflect how good I am in general.  I'm a 57% player.  That's it.  Or I could re-roll (and find a tech tree clubber) and appear to be a 65% player.  Looks pretty. But it doesn't change how good I am.

The other thing to consider is that I have kinda reached a niche of play. I play a lot of T8 and have a lot of experience with BBs at that level.  Thus, I tend to play better than 57% with a lot of those BBs. Running 61% in Vanguard at the moment.  It's a great ship when played properly. On the flip side, I'm kinda crappy with my Hannover (55% is crappy for me).  I don't do as well at the high tiers above T8.  I also don't like that meta much.

Keep in mind that as one is running through the tiers ands collecting ships, your win rate will not be as good as it will be once you settle in on your favorites.  You simply don't have the time to gather the experience necessary to understand how a ship works in the environment.  Once you kinda settle down with some ships you enjoy, figure out how they work in the tier range, you'll find your WR increasing. 

For example.  My KM T8 BB top tier I'm looking to push in early and make myself felt (while not getting focused and dying early).  A balance between getting punches in to help my lower tier teammates and staying alive.  Simply sniping and staying alive (and even topping out on team) is a lose situation because when top tier you gotta pull weight from the start.  When bottom tier where there are lots of T10 that can smack me or burn me, I gotta play it safe.  It's the T10 that carry the weight early.  I'm around to make the difference to swing the fight.  And there are exceptions...with lots of terrain I'll run my Bismarck like a heavy cruiser and push up...but only because I can limit T10 firing angles.  Three totally difference types of engagements depending on the tiers and map.  T9 is a mix and match situation.

Finally keep in mind that the difference between a 60% player and a 50% player is the 60% player can swing one game in ten from the loss column to the win column.  Only ONE game in TEN!!!  The difference between 55% and 50% is one game in twenty.

Have fun.  Play for fun.  Learn from mistakes.  Correct.  Learn some more.  Given time, you get better.  And at end of day, it's not your WR that determines how good you are.  You are simply as good as you are. 

One of the best posts Ive seen in this forum tbh!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

8 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

Nice post! 🙂

BTW, I am "stuck" at 56+% with 9K games...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

Keep in mind that win rate does not determine how good you are. 

Yes. WR is completely meaningless, as a metric,regarding player performance, first and foremost, because Wows is a team game and randoms (and its maps) were designed for 9v9 NOT 12v12. When they took that step ( goin 12v12) Wedgie throw out the very basic design of the game. 

Otherwise I join in the praise of the post.

Edit: And here's a song for the OP

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2024 at 3:35 AM, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

It most likely means you are now able to “carry your own weight” but are still not able to influence the match outcome…

Alternatively iz might mean you are playing ships that are not good at influencing match outcomes…

To see which of the two it is look at the T5+ ships that have 55-60+ WR in your stats over 50+ games and play those for a while, if you keep the WR on them or improve it its the ships, if not watch some tutorials how to get most out of the ships you want to play and practice till you do

Edited by Yedwy
  • Like 2

Honestly, this game requires a special kind of nerves and a good portion of masochism. I have heard all the stories about that everything will balance out over time, but frankly spoken I can't see it and have a hard time of believing it. Since last night again on a losing streak, the seventh in the course of 1900 matches. I remember only one "winning streak" with 7 battles. Nothing will help except stopping to play for a certain period of time. Full commitment doesn't help at all, same with good performance. I know it is wrong, but I feel being punished for nothing. Lost 2 % WR during the streaks and worked myself "up" again, but don't believe that good performance is somehow deceisive. I won't reach 50% before I'm dead unfortunately. I lack "Fortune" (french). 

BTW: Was "praised" by others in all four defeats, but that's only a small consolation. Last defeat underneath.

Skjermbilde 2024-06-19 143313.jpg

Skjermbilde 2024-06-19 143322.jpg

Skjermbilde 2024-06-19 143332.jpg

12 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

+1  🙂 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

Even those who re-roll an account will ultimately converge to a rate.

My main (original) account where I was learning & losing more, I'm 48% (rounded). In my alt account, I'm 51% (rounded). Only difference, ofc, is having learnt on main.

20 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

once you settle in on your favorites.

When I (eventually) examined which specific ships I had a decent WR with, I got some surprises 😁. I still random what I play (from several ship lists).

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 6:35 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

I think one of the "secrets" that the best players become very proficient in doing, is learning to read a situation.
Good players will be able to assess what's going on and remain three to four steps ahead of their competition and act accordingly.

That is not to say they win every game. 
It's simply that they're able to wring the best performance out of their ship and themselves because they have an understanding of every player and ship's options and tactics and what they're likely to do next.

Consider viewing @Lord_Zath's Twitch stream and possibly submitting a replay for him to review, or post a youtube video of your replay and we can all view it with the intention of giving constructive feedback.  🙂 

Always happy to help ppl!!!

• Thanks 1

Win rate should be based on the last 1000 games played, that is more indicative of the rate at which you are currently winning. Should not include the 2000 games played as a newbie grinding your levels from 1 to 4.

If your a newbie with 300 games fine, if you're at vet with 6000 the first 5000 have little to do with how you are playing now.

And then your rate would move up and down and better reflect your current skill.