A funny take on Wows, Wehraboo's and D day.

Andrewbassg

Personally, I don't like this ugly ridiculing and disparaging, but if it helps you of feeling better ... 

Edited by OT2_2

38 minutes ago, OT2_2 said:

Personally, I don't like this ugly ridiculing and disparagement, but if it helps you feeling better ... 

Humor is always a subjective experience and also an art that is difficult to master.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Humor is always a subjective experience and also an art that is difficult to master.

I look at this as disparaging of my nation and people, there is nothing funny about this. Especially our "good friends" and neighbors in the East like this kind of "humor". Thought the war has been over since 79 years, but it looks like that I am mistaking. 

Edited by OT2_2
  • Like 3
  • Bored 1

46 minutes ago, OT2_2 said:

I look at this as disparaging of my nation and people, there is nothing funny about this.

I do not see any attempt in the clip to disparage a nation or people here. Of course, with the tragic human toll of war, treading such ground may evoke a mixed bag of emotions in different individuals for a variety of reasons, but this clip, I'm sure, is intended to be silly (and promotional) and in no way disrespectful. Whether one finds it funny or somewhat tasteless is indeed a subjective matter, but as with all forms of humor, one should not attempt to over-interpret.

• Like 3

The past is past and past wars also come the subject of humor when years go by. Probably it might have taken longer in Germany than, say, in Britain or the USA to happen. I admit that I've mostly been exposed to British humor when it comes to anything related to the war (should we mention it....), there's been a few specific comedy series that cover it, including a lesser known one with Stephen Fry. There was even some pretty black humor around in war time because humor is also a means of surviving.

There, I may have mentioned the war once or twice but I think I got away with it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OT2_2 said:

I look at this as disparaging of my nation and people, there is nothing funny about this. Especially our "good friends" and neighbors in the East like this kind of "humor". Thought the war has been over since 79 years, but it looks like that I am mistaking. 

Oh! Lighten up!

Go and watch "Hogan's Heroes", or "Allo Allo"!

Or watch "Faulty Towers", but "Don't mention the war!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majmac said:

Oh! Lighten up!

“Fawlty Towers”

And don’t forget the “Mr. Hilter” sketch from Monty Python’s Flying Circus.

Edited by Utt_Bugglier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OT2_2 said:

Friend .... its good to keep some things in mind,

1. Humour isn't humour if it doesn't cut, coz it speaks truth to power.  Maybe sometimes could be called savage, however the more it cuts, the more clearer is the mirror. And a clean mirror we ALL badly need. If we don't/can\t/won't accept the truth... we are effed 

2. EVERY single nation can be ridiculed, even quite hard for something, no exceptions. We all are humans. I love my huns and I'm proud of our accomplishments, but i will never forget what they did on the banks of the Danube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hungarian_Nobel_laureates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoes_on_the_Danube_Bank

3. You are not responsible for your ancestors actions, they did it, NOT you. Remember, children were married not long ago. So... what about Romeo and Juliet? 

So

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OT2_2 said:

I look at this as disparaging of my nation and people

As a fellow german, I gotta say that I consider Germany and its people between 1933 and 1945 as neither my nation nor my people. They deserve derision and hatred. That being said, that clip is inane, foolish and not all that funny. What I DO find disrespectful is them depicting Langsdorff and Lindemann as being alive in 1944.

The shore leave thingy was memorable though!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Friend .... its good to keep some things in mind,

1. Humour isn't humour if it doesn't cut, coz it speaks truth to power.  Maybe sometimes could be called savage, however the more it cuts, the more clearer is the mirror. And a clean mirror we ALL badly need. If we don't/can\t/won't accept the truth... we are effed 

2. EVERY single nation can be ridiculed, even quite hard for something, no exceptions. We all are humans. I love my huns and I'm proud of our accomplishments, but i will never forget what they did on the banks of the Danube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hungarian_Nobel_laureates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoes_on_the_Danube_Bank

3. You are not responsible for your ancestors actions, they did it, NOT you. Remember, children were married not long ago. So... what about Romeo and Juliet? 

So

I'll leave it like that.

• Thanks 3

Another German here, descended from citizens of Silesia and East Prussia.

I LAUGHED at that video - it was hilarious.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

They deserve derision and hatred.

Yes. But we need to keep in mind that H got elected. That is a lesson which must be remembered and not taken lightly. Otherwise dehumanising monsters like those comes with its own set of dangers. They were humans, Goebbels was a model father until....he wasn't.

19 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

That being said, that clip is inane, foolish and not all that funny. What I DO find disrespectful is them depicting

It is a particular kind of humour.

22 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

The shore leave thingy was memorable though!

I loved the hidden bomb/grenade!! 53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gif

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OT2_2 said:

this ugly ridiculing and disparaging,

Maybe

8 hours ago, majmac said:

Oh! Lighten up!

I have a German surname (I"m Cdn) & when Hogan's Heroes was first on TV in the 60s, I would roll my eyes over the 'fluffter' humour but my friends all thought the show was hilarious. I got to the same opinion. The caricatures were stock, ofc (even for the Brits, Fre & US prisioners). Hogan's Heroes would not have even worked if it weren't for the characters of Sgt Shultz (John Bannerman) "I see nothing." & Col. Klink (Werner Klemperer). Klink character, imo, carried that show & had the best lines of them all.

As to 'Faulty Towers', again, at first, I wasn't that taken by it but, eventually, I was & it is/was hilarious - a classic of Brit comedy.

Edited by Aethervox
  • Like 3