PSA: More Info On Server Shutdown

AdmiralThunder

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/wows-services-will-be-temporarily-unavailable/

So many people have missed/ignored this article from 2 days ago telling us all servers were being shut down today for about 7 hours for a major overhaul. It just floors me re: that there are people who are posting here and on reddit about how they can't login and what is going on and also how they don't even go to the WOWS website to look in which case they would see the post right there telling them (read the news articles folks).

One thing I have noticed in all of these posts is a lot of people only talk about the 1st part which is the shutdown today for the given time frame. No one has mentioned there is more to it. So, I am going to post that extra info here for anyone who didn't read the article to see (I bet people still post tomorrow of issues LOL).

Post-Maintenance Availability

Following the maintenance period, we'll require several additional hours (approximately until June 17, 07:00 UTC) to restore the full functionality of all services. We kindly ask for your patience and understanding while the work is being carried out. Your game account and progress will not be impacted.

While the game will become available again, the following services will see limited functionality for an extended period:

• Websites: Will be accessible, but login will not be possible. Captain's Club and Recruiting Station will not be available.
  • Account Registration: Registering new accounts and creating new profiles will temporarily be disabled.
  • Account Management: Password changes and similar actions will be unavailable.
  • WoWS Premium Account subscription management: Subscriptions and settings changes will be inaccessible.
  • Premium Shop & in-game purchases (including Armory): Services may be partially available; there might be technical difficulties when making purchases during this period.
  • Bonus codes and tokens: It will not be possible to redeem codes.
  • Other in-game functionality (for example, Clans, Inventory, etc.): Limited availability.

So be prepared for issues to continue into tomorrow (or beyond knowing WG).

Also, before people ask or complain about lost PT...

Downtime Compensation

All players who log in to the game from June 15, 22:00 UTC, until June 19, 07:00 UTC, will receive 1x Tactical Special container as compensation. The compensation will be credited 3 days after the maintenance.

Tactial Crate: (content)

• 24Hrs PT
  • 2X +300% FXP (Grey Boost)
  • 3X Juliet Charlie Flag (Detonation Flag)

salute.jpg.070269b8e9e537aca9bce7213eacb524.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 7

Yeah but I just tried into logging to the game and it didn't work........................ WTH???

@AdmiralThunder Thinking right now.....

surprised-well.gif.c37e238b57a26eaade57ba1b184e9d1e.gif

35034508.gif.e8b35c48708b9ce439b28b6cdc3ae762.gif

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

read the news articles folks

Reading’s too hard though. You should know that by now. Why take the time to read (or search to see if something’s been asked already) when you can just make a new post?

I just tried to log in to the server (having not read the original news article either), and when it didn't work, I came here first. So, thanks for providing the answer.

Why did I not even think to look at the WOWS official news? Simple. It's usually so full of marketing bollocks, and 'click to participate' nonsense, that it's not the most efficient way to gather information on the game...

• Like 4
  • Bored 2

Well good to know, I've been trying to log in and i couldn't figure out what was wrong. I think this is the case where i should pay some attention to what Weegee says.

The North American sever is back up (with about 1600 players). After one co-op battle, it seems to be working normally, although I haven't checked all of the in-port functions yet.

Addition: Armory is unavailable, but Clan port functions seem to be working (just in case you want to try another Naval Battle).

Edited by oldblackdog
Additional Information
  • Like 1

Found out why they had to do so much maintenance work on the servers.

What kind of servers power a woot off /boc? - Woot

only one was working properly

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Hi all,

EU Armory is still off-line...

image.thumb.png.b0bbfa76406ea6144080cd43bdf0da13.png

Leo "Apollo11"

Two items as to this temporary loss of service struck me as unusual. First that it occurred on a Sunday afternoon (in NA)  and not at 5 or 6 am Eastern Time on a Wednesday. I do recall a weekend outage where they quickly changed the setting as to AAA during the initial CV rework when it was found (to their horror) that AAA actually was shooting down planes and which obviously could not be allowed to continue for a moment longer. Whenever WG has since talked about needing lots of time to collect data and then carefully assess the situation this AAA change is recalled that was made (literally) in a couple of days and on a Saturday as I recall.

The second item was the duration of the outage as although the time for game updates has been extended this 7-hour shutdown far exceeds the nominal 5 hours for that. 

I wonder if we will get anymore information or context as to this change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djc_499 said:

it occurred on a Sunday afternoon (in NA)

Presumably, something important and urgent was discovered, enough so that losing the turnover from a proportion of the weekend crowd was deemed acceptable...

Doubt that WG will actually tell us what it was though, as it's probably embarrassing for someone.

• Like 2

Well I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda for better part of yesterday, I am on call st work today so not playing anyway… This issue passed me by 🤣

• Like 1

I had to wait on a WGC update to install this AM before I could do an early-morning login for the daily reward.

Maybe it’s coincidental, but this update has occurred pretty much on the heels of the NOCAP banishment/disbandment and “division suspended for winning 37 in a row” thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Reading’s too hard though. You should know that by now. Why take the time to read (or search to see if something’s been asked already) when you can just make a new post?

I think our expectation on the player base of this game is a bit high. Most players are totally un-interested in getting better at the game, learning the base mechanics, understanding what the different game modes actually are and how to play.

Expecting them to go to a website that they probably never visited before and find the right article, which to be honest I struggle with myself from time to time, reading and understanding what WG is trying to communicate, which to be honest most of the player base struggle with (what is it now? 3542 "Miscommunications"?!). Im not holding my breath on this happening.....

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Expecting them to go to a website that they probably never visited before

You mean the one they had to go to in order to download the game in the first place? 

• Bored 1

3 hours ago, djc_499 said:

Two items as to this temporary loss of service struck me as unusual. First that it occurred on a Sunday afternoon (in NA)  and not at 5 or 6 am Eastern Time on a Wednesday.

Yesterday in many countries it was Father's day, my guess is many players (a Lot of us fit into dad/grandad role) would be offline enjoying family interactions. I know my gym was emptier than usual so maybe it was expected a lower than usual player count... That would be a good day to make the maintenance. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

Doubt that WG will actually tell us what it was though, as it's probably embarrassing for someone.

It's called Corporate Privilege, and you don't have the right to know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, djc_499 said:

Two items as to this temporary loss of service struck me as unusual. First that it occurred on a Sunday afternoon (in NA)  and not at 5 or 6 am Eastern Time on a Wednesday. I do recall a weekend outage where they quickly changed the setting as to AAA during the initial CV rework when it was found (to their horror) that AAA actually was shooting down planes and which obviously could not be allowed to continue for a moment longer. Whenever WG has since talked about needing lots of time to collect data and then carefully assess the situation this AAA change is recalled that was made (literally) in a couple of days and on a Saturday as I recall.

The second item was the duration of the outage as although the time for game updates has been extended this 7-hour shutdown far exceeds the nominal 5 hours for that. 

I wonder if we will get anymore information or context as to this change.

FYI, the change to revert the AA buffs from 0.8.5, which is I believe the incident you are referring to...was done not because the AA was shooting down too many planes...

...but because people stopped playing CV en masse. It was a 'matchmaker problem' to WG...

Not that this makes it any better...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Why did I not even think to look at the WOWS official news? Simple. It's usually so full of marketing bollocks

This ^^^. Wedgie is so full of it  💩 now their eyes are brown if not black (for the really old crap) 😁.

2 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

It's called Corporate Privilege, and you don't have the right to know.

Actually, there is a bit of wiggle room on your assessment of "rights..."

Here's a hint:  if they piss us off: we leave.  If we don't trust the site:  we leave. 

Yes, Corporate Privilege, over the decades playing videogames sometimes sounds like  "GONG !  bring out your dead !" -  and,  many of us are now playing "other games" more than this game.....  "Uh Oh !  Did we do that?"

Corporate Privilege won't pay the bills, eh>!?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

..but because people stopped playing CV en masse

We can only hope this is the case with the farce reworked CVs, tho, unfortunately, there are still too many being played.

6 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

the change to revert the AA buffs from 0.8.5,

Perhaps, pre-8.5, when AA was working, imho, appropriately & ever since then, a fiasco linked to the farce CV rework 😒.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

You mean the one they had to go to in order to download the game in the first place? 

Steam and Epic Game Store are a thing for some players. No need to download a separate game launcher when you can have it more conveniently.

1 minute ago, BlueMax1916 said:

Steam and Epic Game Store are a thing for some players. No need to download a separate game launcher when you can have it more conveniently.

True. Still, just typing "World of Warships" into Google search gives one plenty of hits, including the region homepages. It's really not that hard to find out information about the game. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

True. Still, just typing "World of Warships" into Google search gives one plenty of hits, including the region homepages. It's really not that hard to find out information about the game. 

That's true but apparently too difficult or call it 'inconvenient' for people nowadays. I do not advocate this. Despite I used the Epic Game Launcher for installing WoWs I was fully aware about the different information sources like official and inofficial websites, forums, Wiki et al. As I wanted to have a deeper understanding of the game. Just as with every other game I played.

Edited by BlueMax1916

4 hours ago, djc_499 said:

Two items as to this temporary loss of service struck me as unusual. First that it occurred on a Sunday afternoon (in NA)  and not at 5 or 6 am Eastern Time on a Wednesday

It was before the start of the working day for their main offices in the EU, and still very early for the SEA server. And it wasn’t just WoWS that was down (plus a downtime this long would be unusual for regular maintenance), it was effectively everything WG — planes and tanks were down too, all web services, etc.

Games have had extended downtimes before, but this is the first time I can recall where nearly all of the WG products and services were offline around the same time for maintenance. That much being down at nearly the same time seems too much to just be coincidental, and if it was just general maintenance it probably could have been staggered across the servers.

With all of them down for this long at about the same time, it was probably something major with either software or hardware. No matter when they chose to do the maintenance, some server was going to be affected, so they chose the time that would likely have the least impact on global prime times.

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

We can only hope this is the case with the farce reworked CVs, tho, unfortunately, there are still too many being played.

Perhaps, pre-8.5, when AA was working, imho, appropriately & ever since then, a fiasco linked to the farce CV rework 😒.

Uhrm...making CVs more braindead to play was not a good outcome. 0.8.5 was the most fun I had playing the new rework CVs...it was actually a challenge.

AA prior to 0.8.5 was even worse than it is now.

AA prior to 0.8.0 also had major issues.

In short, AA has never actually worked.

• Confused 1