Weekend Spree, 14-16 June 2024

Ensign Cthulhu

Did my Naval Battles, streamed and tied up a couple of grind loose-ends on Saturday.

Casual play on Sunday, and thought I would be finished early until I saw @Lord_Zath demonstrate the Rodney on stream.

My wife had already told me "It's Fathers' Day, go buy yourself something silly", so one Paypal login later, the Rodney was mine. So I had to try her out, and I was very pleased with the results. 

Managed to do a couple of little around-the-house things. Whipper-snipped a whole bunch of weeds. Cooked dinner. Obtained beer. Am set for the rest of the evening. 

(Realized that an upside of the DevStrike forums is that global maintenance incidents like that planned for this evening don't affect us the way they might have affected the WG forums.)

• Like 3

Participated in Naval Battles.

Viewed @Ensign Cthulhu's Twitch stream.

Went for a motorcycle ride, yesterday and today.
Missed meeting-up with my friend "Mark", yesterday by a "Get Smart, *that much*". 
But, encountered my Aunt by chance, and also encountered a fellow alumni from my HIgh-school by chance. 
So the trip yesterday had two pleasant surprises.
Today, got a text message from "Mark" and we were able to meet-up at a car-show. 
After that we took some scenic routes to eventually arrive at an Ice-cream shop that neither of us had visited before.  
Yes, of course, we enjoyed some delicious ice-cream.

After that we took a different scenic route, using Highway 121 in southern New Hampshire, to end-up near Lake Masabesic.
Highway 121 turned-out to be an excellent road for the "break-in" process of my still fairly new motorcycle.
It was like "carving canyons" without actual canyons. 
Instead of rock walls, there are trees on both sides of the road, with turns and elevation changes and speed zones varying from 30 to 45 miles per hour.
I purhcased it with 17 miles on the odometer.  Now the odometer is nearly at 200 miles.
I'm having fun and this is a good bike for me.  🙂 

The parts I ordered for my motorcycle (a CSC Motorcycles, model San Gabriel SG-250 "cafe' racer") have arrived and I need to bring my bike to a local shop to have them installed.  

With WOWs going "down for server maintenance" soon (if not already), I expect to make some progress with my Star Trek Online characters.

Happy Father's Day to all Dads, wherever they may be.  🙂 

• Like 2

Well, one of the few weekends where I didn't participate in Naval Battles....  Played one night of Ops.  Nothing today and the system is down.

Went antiquing and found a 1918 first edition, with a beautiful dust jacket,  of the "Battleship Boys" series...!  Other than that, WoWs is really becoming a "second game..."

A great many of my friends have started playing Hell lets lose in a division a few evenings a week.  I suspect their participation in this game is now at 25% of their game time.  Soon, I will be asked to play as well.......  I won't say no.....!  This game is about done for a great many of us and will be a one or two nights a week game soon.

We'll see.

• Like 1

Friday through Sunday morning:

Ran off 15 games on Wisconsin to get it to 42 battles, enough to move it from 88th to 66th on my most-played ships list. A bitter run of losing 7 of 8 gutted and slit my 66.67% WR in it. It now sits at 59.52%. It’s still my only ship with a 100k+ average damage. (Kremlin, JB, and Bourgogne are the nearest pursuers with avgs between 85k & 88k.

Won enough Silver Ranked to net 400 steel.

Sunday evening: ran trains at one end of the bonus room, while my son gamed at the other.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Ran off 15 games on Wisconsin to get it to 42 battles, enough to move it from 88th to 66th on my most-played ships list. A bitter run of losing 7 of 8 gutted and slit my 66.67% WR in it. It now sits at 59.52%. It’s still my only ship with a 100k+ average damage. (Kremlin, JB, and Bourgogne are the nearest pursuers with avgs between 85k & 88k.

Don't let yourself become a slave to your stats. 

I played some T8 Ops (for the first time) - interesting, sort of, but really not my cup of tea. Did my normal random tier random battles & had, for a 'weekend' more Ws than Ls (a pleasant surprise, for once). Also, I did NBs, mostly at lower tiers (which you can do quite easily, btw) & then got shut out by the maintenance shutdown (I had 3 more NBs to try & my clan was 2 Ws behind our opponent & the shutdown had to happen just then, sigh). There were 6 clannies who didn't even bother to do even 1 NB so they can  get blamed (imo). We lost the NB 75 - 77 😒. Darn Wedgie maintenance garbage. Why didn't they wait till a weekday night time period instead of a weekend with more players?

40 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

Why didn't they wait till a weekday night time period instead of a weekend with more players?

Because it was Fathers' Day and they probably rationalized that a higher proportion of dads would be out with their kids, whether it's the father or son or both who play.

• Like 1

Havent played much in past couple weekends, busy busy.

Did trade GK + ~1600 Dubs for the Karl. Only played a few games, seems fun. Kinda plays like a cruiser. 

Got the next couple days with limited responsibilities, will probably play alot of the Karl Tue or Wed.

• Like 1

Didn't do much.

Finished a few things just playing Gk.

Slumming now playing AL Hornet because of the bonus mission.

(-)

Watched the Rodney vid.

They forgot the third thing Rodney was... umm... 'famous,' for...

Spoiler

"Baaaaaaaaa..."

• Like 1

only trade coal ships  so you can get them back  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gaelic_knight said:

only trade coal ships  so you can get them back  

Ordinarily yes, but with an Asashio B that I willingly paid cash for and a vanilla Asashio that subsequently fell out of a Santa crate and was absolutely superfluous to requirements, the choice was obvious for me. Vanilla Asashio had been sitting in my port since Christmas 2022 and had accumulated less than 4000 ship XP in all that time.

If I didn't already have the black version, I wouldn't have done it.

5 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Ordinarily yes, but with an Asashio B that I willingly paid cash for and a vanilla Asashio that subsequently fell out of a Santa crate and was absolutely superfluous to requirements, the choice was obvious for me. Vanilla Asashio had been sitting in my port since Christmas 2022 and had accumulated less than 4000 ship XP in all that time.

If I didn't already have the black version, I wouldn't have done it.

Not entirely clear about how it falls, but isn't there some mission you can get for having both?

It may be a one time thing; but I wouldn't trade one of them unless you already cleared, or passed, the mission.

(My guess is you already did?)

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 3:36 PM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Did my Naval Battles, streamed and tied up a couple of grind loose-ends on Saturday.

Casual play on Sunday, and thought I would be finished early until I saw @Lord_Zath demonstrate the Rodney on stream.

My wife had already told me "It's Fathers' Day, go buy yourself something silly", so one Paypal login later, the Rodney was mine. So I had to try her out, and I was very pleased with the results. 

Managed to do a couple of little around-the-house things. Whipper-snipped a whole bunch of weeds. Cooked dinner. Obtained beer. Am set for the rest of the evening. 

(Realized that an upside of the DevStrike forums is that global maintenance incidents like that planned for this evening don't affect us the way they might have affected the WG forums.)

Such a dirty battleship!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not entirely clear about how it falls, but isn't there some mission you can get for having both?

It was a one-time thing, and it relied on you buying the Black ship and either having the other in port or obtaining it before a cutoff date (I think it was December 31 of the year of purchase). IIRC I bought the Asashio Black because I wanted to see what the fuss was all about and because the Black ships are always just a bit cheaper, but I didn't get the original in the Santa crate until long after the opportunity window had closed. So in my case there was nothing to lose.

17 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

Such a dirty battleship!

The more I play it, the more the torpedoes do the work!

3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It may be a one time thing; but I wouldn't trade one of them unless you already cleared, or passed, the mission.

(My guess is you already did?)

Typically that mission is available when the "-B" ships are being sold (during the November/December/January Holiday season).

Essentially, if a player has the non-B version of a ship, and then acquires the "B" version of a ship, they normally are given a 30-day mission for extra XP/Earnings while playing the non-B ship, if I recall correctly.

In the past, I got the Scharnhorst-B from a loot-crate, but didn't have the normal Scharnhorst.
So, the bonus XP/Earnings mission was wasted on me because I didn't have the normal Scharnhorst and didn't feel like spending doubloons to get one at the time.
(I've since gotten the normal Scharnhorst via a different loot-crate.  But that was long after the original bonux XP/Earnings mission had expired.)