WoWS, Philosophy & Freedom: A comment on 'Video worth watching' thread and WoWS 'Original Sin'

ArIskandir

17 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

But how, short of clan battles or full-division operations, do you fix that?

They don't !  it is a business not a sport.   It's all about "throughput" cause that's what generates revenue....  More game lads, fail faster !!!  We can help that by..........[add something our host changes that decreases your effectiveness....]

This is a business that sells entertainment vis-a'-vis a sport....  

They aren't a recognized competitive organization !  They are selling kid level fun to adults !  Some I might add, take this game way too seriously !!!  The "I'm a Barney level player" - look at my Win Rate.......that that player achieved massacring new players in a Division of "other Barney level players" in the lower tiers...... 

You can't fix it because it's working as intended.

17 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

Concealment has been a problem even before world of warships was launched. Back to the old world of tanks, maps where open and had foliage all over the place. The result? everyone camping behind a bush while scouts jumped from bush to bush looking for a target, First to be spotted was obliterated by a bunch of invisible tanks... does that sound familiar?

eventualy camping got so bad in world of tanks WG hit the nuclear button and removed a lot of foliage aswell as started adding chokepoints and tall obstacles to prevent sniper from having a field day on anyone spoted.

From what you say, the changes in WoT were environmental, not in the way Concealment mechanics work. 

In WoWS concealment is even more relevant than in WoT and there's no foliage like elements unless You want to get rid of smoke... Which is also a balance element.

53 minutes ago, Asym said:

I asked for suggestions, not defeatist hand-wringing.

Would this be a good moment to suggest removing the blasted rocks from the game?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Concealment is THE core mechanic. How would you rework it without needing to remake the Game?

Ah yes, the typical WG employee response to potential changes to the game. 'Its too hard!'

No matter what benefits changing the thing might bring, the cost to do the work in terms of effort and money is too high.

I could make plenty of ways to improve concealment, ranging from easy fixes to fundamental reworks. Posted them in the various places WG looks for feedback.

All I ever got for that work was outright hostility from WG staff and derision and outright trolling from WG sycophants.

Why even bother at this point?

Yes, concealment needs a rework to freshen up the game and open up areas of new content and gimmicks. It can be done, but WG remain close minded about it so it won't happen.

Their loss, not mine.

1 hour ago, Asym said:

They don't !  it is a business not a sport.   It's all about "throughput" cause that's what generates revenue....  More game lads, fail faster !!!  We can help that by..........[add something our host changes that decreases your effectiveness....]

This is a business that sells entertainment vis-a'-vis a sport....  

They aren't a recognized competitive organization !  They are selling kid level fun to adults !  Some I might add, take this game way too seriously !!!  The "I'm a Barney level player" - look at my Win Rate.......that that player achieved massacring new players in a Division of "other Barney level players" in the lower tiers...... 

Amen.

This is why the competitive modes in the game are a joke, and always will be a joke.

The core of the game is designed in such a way as to preclude it ever being an e-sport.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I asked for suggestions, not defeatist hand-wringing.

Stop please.  Your zeal lacks a place to go.....  There isn't a fix because the game is "designed" to not be a competitive game....  It's just a simple cooperative shooter mate - it's not what you think it is or want it to be.....

There is no fix     because    the game was not designed to investigate/determine skill and create skill gates...

I have said that for years now and it is no less true today than it was true in 2007-2008....

Think.   The old IBM kind of THINK desk placard had one purpose: to encourage "every employee" to not accept convention or practices...

image.jpeg.7e4644a5264035544dc75d32a7b0dbe4.jpegand, here we are trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.

I am not a defeatist...... but.....I can see a non-competitive game for what it is - place to have fun and ignore the real world for a couple of minutes...  I compete enough as it is......

• Like 3

If WoWS is intended to be a 'cooperative' shooter, the design has failed rather badly....

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Asym said:

I am not a defeatist...... but.....I can see a non-competitive game for what it is - place to have fun and ignore the real world for a couple of minutes...  I compete enough as it is......

I don't always agree with everything you say but this is pretty spot on +1. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 11:33 AM, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Ah yes, the typical WG employee response to potential changes to the game. 'Its too hard!'

I'm starting to think you live in an alternate reality where I'm a WG employee 🤣

On 6/16/2024 at 11:33 AM, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I could make plenty of ways to improve concealment, ranging from easy fixes to fundamental reworks. Posted them in the various places WG looks for feedback.

All I ever got for that work was outright hostility from WG staff and derision and outright trolling from WG sycophants.

Why even bother at this point?

Exchanging ideas could be fun on top of enlightening, I don't remember ever reading one of your ideas to rework Concealment, just that you think reworking concealment is important but never going into anything concrete. 

I'm all eyes in case you want to share, but I'll understand if you don't feel inspired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

I'm starting to think you live in an alternate reality where I'm a WG employee 🤣

Not at all.

Just heard similar things from them over and over.

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Exchanging ideas could be fun on top of enlightening, I don't remember ever reading one of your ideas to rework Concealment, just that you think reworking concealment is important but never going into anything concrete. 

I'm all eyes in case you want to share, but I'll understand if you don't feel inspired.

Yeah, it could be...but I've basically given up on making suggestions anymore. There's no real payoff. Sure it can be interesting to shoot the breeze and talk about doing things like dispersion adjustments instead of just binary spotted / not spotted...

...but the reality is nothing we propose is going to move the needle much anymore.

WG isn't going to do enough to move the game out of stagnant phase...right now because they just don't have the talent post Lesta split...

...but even with the talent issues solved, I just don't see the business motivation.

It's more useful for my time to talk about new games that might do this genre better.

After a while, flogging the dead horse just gets old...you know?

• Like 1