In-Depth Wisconsin Guide by YourSATScore

yss_turtleship

A big thank you to @Your_SAT_Score for doing this.  Lots of time and effort goes into these types of work.

• Like 5

The document author let some of their personal bias get into their writing, but some good info here anyway.

20 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

The document author let some of their personal bias get into their writing, but some good info here anyway.

Well that can't be helped, no one can and will be 100% unbiased, no matter how hard we try, you always have to take that into account with every guide, review or test you read. His guides are amazing and even though i can only guess how much work it takes to do them, it must be an enormous amount. His guide for the Illinois for example helped me a lot, to find the right setup for me, when i got her and was unsure about the best upgrades and commander skills. Thanks a lot Your_SAT_Score!

Edited by UnrepentantSinner
  • Like 1

Not worth to take situation Brisk instead of faster turret traverse. Why limit firepower for almost useless skill?

Vigilance is also very useful against all CV, dds and subs torps and detection.

I did a mistake picking Brisk on St. Vincent line grind and regret that in the end

1 hour ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

Well that can't be helped, no one can and will be 100% unbiased, no matter how hard we try, you always have to take that into account with every guide, review or test you read. His guides are amazing and even though i can only guess how much work it takes to do them, it must be an enormous amount. His guide for the Illinois for example helped me a lot, to find the right setup for me, when i got her and was unsure about the best upgrades and commander skills. Thanks a lot Your_SAT_Score!

There is a certain degree one can work to be aware of and remove obvious bias and terms, which is part of learning to do professional and technical writing, but of course, we are not dealing with that level of expectation here.  

As I said, a good amount of information here regardless that I think will help players, though I do think I disagree with a few conclusions their biases have affected.  That's for each reader to decide, however...people who only go 'by the book' usually end up in trouble because no book written by humans covers everything.

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ReDiR20 said:

Not worth to take situation Brisk instead of faster turret traverse. Why limit firepower for almost useless skill?

I noticed that too, brisk doesn't make sense what so ever with Wisconsin. 12.9km surface detection, while not bad, isn't exactly good either. Its very average and its not like you really need brisk. Wisconsin is fast enough as is, not like say Atlantico with her 25 knot top speed. She has the surface detection and the brawling setup to make brisk worthwhile(28.9 knots brings her to a good place speed wise and the 11.5km surface detection makes brisk work).

I also disagree with the use of Heavy AP and that the combat instructions are a total game changer. The AP damage increase isn't enough to justify the increases in fire/flood damage on a already poorly protected BB. The Combat instructions are pretty much MBRB at home. Its got a longer duration sure, but it also has extra steps and isn't always available. Also in general, I find with most matches that the combat instructions are only usually built up and used once or twice with the average match duration. plus with the average reload(not fast reloading guns like Jean Bart) It only gives an extra salvo pretty much per minute. The -80% consumable aspect hardly ever comes into play as Wisconsins playstyle is avoid return fire if at all possible. so basically it is just a poor mans MBRB. In that respect, I find I'm hoarding it often for when a extra salvo might matter. Which isn't always often. SAT also forgets how mediocre the shell ballistics are, at range(15-20km, where your going to be many games) its going to take more salvos to build up because of how slow the shells move.

In general, I actually think Slava is better at the role Wisconsin does as she has better AP shell characteristics(besides damage) and a better dispersion pattern. Her high penetration often scores citadels in situations where Wisconsin can't. She's a better sniper without question. All that said, I don't think Wisconsin is bad, but she's decidedly average. She will do well, but she's no Georgia.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MBT808 said:

I noticed that too, brisk doesn't make sense what so ever with Wisconsin. 12.9km surface detection, while not bad, isn't exactly good either. Its very average and its not like you really need brisk. Wisconsin is fast enough as is, not like say Atlantico with her 25 knot top speed. She has the surface detection and the brawling setup to make brisk worthwhile(28.9 knots brings her to a good place speed wise and the 11.5km surface detection makes brisk work).

I also disagree with the use of Heavy AP and that the combat instructions are a total game changer. The AP damage increase isn't enough to justify the increases in fire/flood damage on a already poorly protected BB. The Combat instructions are pretty much MBRB at home. Its got a longer duration sure, but it also has extra steps and isn't always available. Also in general, I find with most matches that the combat instructions are only usually built up and used once or twice with the average match duration. plus with the average reload(not fast reloading guns like Jean Bart) It only gives an extra salvo pretty much per minute. The -80% consumable aspect hardly ever comes into play as Wisconsins playstyle is avoid return fire if at all possible. so basically it is just a poor mans MBRB. In that respect, I find I'm hoarding it often for when a extra salvo might matter. Which isn't always often. SAT also forgets how mediocre the shell ballistics are, at range(15-20km, where your going to be many games) its going to take more salvos to build up because of how slow the shells move.

In general, I actually think Slava is better at the role Wisconsin does as she has better AP shell characteristics(besides damage) and a better dispersion pattern. Her high penetration often scores citadels in situations where Wisconsin can't. She's a better sniper without question. All that said, I don't think Wisconsin is bad, but she's decidedly average. She will do well, but she's no Georgia.

Atlantico doesnt't need Brisk, it need Vigilance as 2 point skill. You just cant brawl without it (and hydro)

18 hours ago, MBT808 said:

While Slava has a superior dispersion formula for long-range sniping, it becomes problematic at medium and short ranges. Wisconsin’s battlecruiser/large cruiser dispersion + APRM2 in slot 6 is extremely comfortable at all ranges. She can snipe if one is experienced with the American 406mm/50 ballistics, but she is also really good at putting shots exactly where you want them at all ranges.

I do feel she should have been given a sub-30s reload, though.

2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

While Slava has a superior dispersion formula for long-range sniping, it becomes problematic at medium and short ranges. Wisconsin’s battlecruiser/large cruiser dispersion + APRM2 in slot 6 is extremely comfortable at all ranges. She can snipe if one is experienced with the American 406mm/50 ballistics, but she is also really good at putting shots exactly where you want them at all ranges.

I do feel she should have been given a sub-30s reload, though.

But not as well, the dispersion isn't as problematic at short range at all but generally you're not supposed to fight with either ship at close range. Slava actually has better vertical dispersion in close. But at the same ranges where you are sniping, Slava is simply far better at it. Slava has way higher penetration and can achieve some citadels at ranges that Wisconsin simply can't. I didn't say you couldn't snipe with Wisconsin nor that her accuracy was an issue.

I could agree with a sub 30 reload.

3 hours ago, ReDiR20 said:

Atlantico doesnt't need Brisk, it need Vigilance as 2 point skill. You just cant brawl without it (and hydro)

I can and have for eight years, I've never once felt Vigilance was a good choice on any ship. I think you'd be a fool not to take Brisk on Atlantico with her excellent concealment to get her secondaries into the fight sooner, it gives a decent boost with speed flag(enough to go from falling behind to pretty much keeping pace with other BBs). I don't recommend Brisk generally on any ship, Atlantico is a rare exception, generally grease the gears is the all round ideal 2pt choice.

Edited by MBT808
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MBT808 said:

But not as well, the dispersion isn't as problematic at short range at all but generally you're not supposed to fight with either ship at close range. Slava actually has better vertical dispersion in close. But at the same ranges where you are sniping, Slava is simply far better at it. Slava has way higher penetration and can achieve some citadels at ranges that Wisconsin simply can't. I didn't say you couldn't snipe with Wisconsin nor that her accuracy was an issue.

I wasn’t trying to claim that Wisconsin was a better sniper than Slava -the ship is literally built for it at the expense of everything else.

My experience with Slava is that her horizontal dispersion is atrocious at mid-to-close ranges. I mainly don’t agree with your opinion that Slava and Wisconsin are meant to fill the same role. Slava is definitely meant to be a long-range sniper, with her weak hull plating and dispersion characteristics, but while I think Wisconsin is also good at the role because of her accuracy (assuming one is comfortable with the ballistics, which IMO are often unfairly maligned - the aren’t that bad), I would argue she isn’t specialized for it like Slava. Between her American BB heal, 32mm plating, combat instructions, and low citadel, she’s more survivable, and her guns are equally suitable for hitting broadsides at 20km as they are at placing full tightly-packed salvoes into vulnerable bits of angled ships at close ranges. For example, Wisconsin is incredibly good at chunking angled battleships at the base of their superstructures at all ranges because of the combination of her small dispersion eclipse and shell ballistics. If you have good aim, her AP is incredibly consistent, and I think that is her real “flavor.”

Basically, to me WI’s guns feel more versatile and effective across all ranges, even if Slava is better at punishing broadsides at long range.

I can and have for eight years, I've never once felt Vigilance was a good choice on any ship.

The only time I would really consider running the skill would be with one of the Jutland brothers on German battleships that want to brawl but lack hydro, like Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. I agree that most of the time there are better options.

I don't recommend Brisk generally on any ship, Atlantico is a rare exception, generally grease the gears is the all round ideal 2pt choice.

I really like Brisk on Derfflinger and Mackensen. Neither of these ships are suitable for a secondary build - both have a lot of low pen 88mm secondaries and the former doesn’t get the improved secondary dispersion found on the latter, but rather just the -20% found on high tier German BBs in the other line. Both have good concealment and not needing to take FPE because of their special DCP frees up points for non-standard options on a main battery/survivability build. Derfflinger especially can make good use of the skill, as her base speed is lacking (only a couple knots faster than her same-nation counterpart Konig), especially alongside the likes of Tiger and Kongo.

Edited by Nevermore135

Didn't have the time to read, nevertheless I very much appreciate actually written content instead of funny memetic videos. 

• Like 1

Really well written guide, its is quite useful and I agree with most of the points on it

On 6/13/2024 at 7:03 PM, MBT808 said:

I agree, I mean I love her combat instructions personally, but even so, I'm not seeing the point of using BRISK over Grease the Gears....Frankly, I think Wisconsin is already fast enough to get from Point A to Point B, and she also doesn't have Engine Boost (Georgia makes better use of Brisk). In addition, Wisconsin is going to want to use Rudder shift mod so you can't even get the Brisk Prop mod synergy....

• Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 12:50 PM, ReDiR20 said:

Tbh, I find Vigilance as a bit of a meme skill, it's really not enough torpedo protection to justify using it. If you have low TP, Vigilance won't save you, and if you have high TP, well then you probably don't need Vigilance all that much anyways. It's not bad, but it's not THAT great either. Grease The Gears or Brisk (with low detection range ships) may prove more useful. (and depending on the situation, IFHE could also make an impact, but that depends on your secondary HE pen values primarily)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sailor_Moon said:

Tbh, I find Vigilance as a bit of a meme skill, it's really not enough torpedo protection to justify using it. If you have low TP, Vigilance won't save you, and if you have high TP, well then you probably don't need Vigilance all that much anyways. It's not bad, but it's not THAT great either. Grease The Gears or Brisk (with low detection range ships) may prove more useful. (and depending on the situation, IFHE could also make an impact, but that depends on your secondary HE pen values primarily)

I tend to run Vigilance on German battleships/battlecruisers because the brother commanders get an enhanced version, plus it stacks with hydro when it's activated. Sure, Lutjens doesn't have the enhanced version, but you can't practically use him on everything at the same time.

15 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Didn't have the time to read, nevertheless I very much appreciate actually written content instead of funny memetic videos. 

Like this one?  🙂 

COMMON US NAVY W | WISCONSIN

4 hours ago, _KlRlTO_ said:

I tend to run Vigilance on German battleships/battlecruisers because the brother commanders get an enhanced version, plus it stacks with hydro when it's activated. Sure, Lutjens doesn't have the enhanced version, but you can't practically use him on everything at the same time.

That does make sense, but I was talking about battleships in general. I'd LOVE for Vigilance's TP buff to mean a bit more than it does atm. It SEEMS good, but when you run the numbers, it's not really that amazing in terms of damage reduction....

7 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Like this one?  🙂 

COMMON US NAVY W | WISCONSIN

While I like the Yurovideos, for actually anything instructive I always prefer to read. 

• Like 1