D-Day: Atlantic Wall Defense

Frostbow

My last match in this mode I was the last ship left at the 7:57 mark.  I basically played hide and dodge till we won.    The biggest issue is people over committing at the start and getting killed early. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On EU they don't really get what to do. They are setting minefields too early before the ships even spawn.

I take into it Z-34 with the 5 second mb reload and am doing halfway decent. We did get 4 stars once.

• Like 2

I played it a few times last night and found it pretty fun, although I'm not really a fan of the German DDs and their slo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ow turret traverse.

Didn't try any of the rentals, mostly because I'm pixel-poor at the moment and don't have a huge reserve of upgrades to just drop into them. Instead, I played Z-39 and Maass... which I honestly probably would've preferred anyway because they both have hydro, while of the rentals, only the one with pathetically short-ranged torps does and hydro is really nice to have with most of your teammates and a goodly chunk of the bots all dropping smoke at the same time. I'm glad the rentals are there, though. I'm also glad all of the rentals are top-tier for the Op, unlike for the last one; that definitely helps.

I agree that Atlantic Wall is more fun than Utah Beach was... but I think it's mostly because it is much more fun to be the one laying the mines than it is to be the one who has to clear them. Torping bots while they're already eating mines is glorious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

U mean........ "u" will need to....... respecc??3FA2776D-8A8D-41C2-B76A-50D3530DBACA.gif.... da design, ze setup of things in wows   Smile_bajan2.gif.446b14dd672b197e9f67451.......

That's how I set up Lutjens  With SI.

Naw I don't really have any high enough point captains to bother putting on them. Probably just use the ones they came with, just have to decide between superintendent and adrenaline rush.

Got it right the second time. You gotta do some work. 

image.png?ex=666ca093&is=666b4f13&hm=94403ee21ef637620674d5de70ee7a335b066824b7ef75306d2cb4cf6ffb2dce&

• Like 1

Tip: Place your mines on top of the enemy ships as they turn around or try to bypass them if you put them in front.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thornzero said:

On EU they don't really get what to do. They are setting minefields too early before the ships even spawn.

To be fair, deploying a certain number of minefields is the operation’s primary objective. Given how quickly I’ve seen teams die and how long the cooldown on the consumable is, I can understand players dropping mines effectively on cooldown (including at the beginning of the match) to maximize the chance of a victory (which comes with a significant XP boost).

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

To be fair, deploying a certain number of minefields is the operation’s primary objective. Given how quickly I’ve seen teams die and how long the cooldown on the consumable is, I can understand players dropping mines effectively on cooldown (including at the beginning of the match) to maximize the chance of a victory (which comes with a significant XP boost).

You would be surprised. On three matches this morning, we had 7/8 set and I had to remind the guys to drop one more [if possible off cooldown]; just so we could get the primary done.

I hadn't realised you can take the rental Zerstorers out in standard operations. That's quite interesting. I've taken Z-34 out in Newport (and she did OK) but the torp ranges aren't helpful and German DDs are never *quite* the gunboats I would like them to be. But it will be fun finding out. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BlueMax1916 said:

Tip: Place your mines on top of the enemy ships as they turn around or try to bypass them if you put them in front.

Thats not what I`ve seen.

Deployed mines right in front of enemy ships, they would still move through the entire minefield.

I think its a good strategy trying to anticipate in which direction they will move/turn and then deploying ones minefield in front or slightly on top of them.

44 minutes ago, Captain_82 said:

Deployed mines right in front of enemy ships, they would still move through the entire minefield.

I think its a good strategy trying to anticipate in which direction they will move/turn and then deploying ones minefield in front or slightly on top of them.

I had the Baltimore just turn around when I placed the minefield in front of her. Also Queen Elizabeth and Nelson changing course to avoid minefields. So I figured out to place the minefield just so that they are in the northern belt of it when it's dropped. It's not dead center on top when I place it. After all I want them to take quite an amount of mines with them and also slow them down.

• Like 1

Trying Z-32 in Ops now. She's fun. Long range (12k) low damage torps (7.5km) on a fast reload (60s) with TRB. Only one smoke, no hydro, so not a traditional DD, but she'd be serviceable with 6.2km detection (base). 

9 hours ago, BlueMax1916 said:

I had the Baltimore just turn around when I placed the minefield in front of her. Also Queen Elizabeth and Nelson changing course to avoid minefields. So I figured out to place the minefield just so that they are in the northern belt of it when it's dropped. It's not dead center on top when I place it. After all I want them to take quite an amount of mines with them and also slow them down.

10 hours ago, Captain_82 said:

I tend to deploy minefields so that the enemy ship is just within the northern portion of it.

Is there any achievement for this Op ? Played it for today once ( 3 star win ), but got no achievement like i got for Utah Beach.

4 minutes ago, KJ82 said:

Is there any achievement for this Op ? Played it for today once ( 3 star win ), but got no achievement like i got for Utah Beach.

Check the "Rewards" tab of the D-Day port. There are a number of things you can get as you earn more stars (Patches, permanent camo, D-Day containers...).

2 minutes ago, oldblackdog said:

Check the "Rewards" tab of the D-Day port. There are a number of things you can get as you earn more stars (Patches, permanent camo, D-Day containers...).

I know about the rewards. I asked about something like the one seen on the picture.

shot-24_06.15_21_24.55-0399.thumb.jpg.41f90a2cf9270e0cac39d350bd9633e2.jpg

8 minutes ago, KJ82 said:

I know about the rewards. I asked about something like the one seen on the picture.

I had to check my profile. Like you, I have the Utah Beach achievement, but I'm not sure if anything else will be awarded during this event.

38 minutes ago, KJ82 said:

Don't think so, only got the one you got so far.

24 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

Don't think so, only got the one you got so far.

Too bad. I like to collect these achievements as a proof of " been there, done that, got the scars ".

• Like 4

On 6/15/2024 at 10:29 AM, Captain_82 said:

I usually combine torps with minefields. At least the BBs QE and nelson runs on the mines from time to time.

• Like 1

To not win considering it is enough to lay mines is a testimony to the player quality on some. 

But so far only wins (random teams no div) Standard result is 3 stars. 2 stars have happened once. At least 3 times 5 stars.

I have played enough to reach the last normal reward. I have used the rental Z32. Please hold out the buffs that comes with the rewards is quite large., so your ships both offensive and defensiv power increases a lot. I have chosen the the DDs directives + the battleship.

Which do you fellow players use?

One problem is both that players are too aggressive at the start, but also even if we have several ships left sometimes too passive near the end. If we are 3 DDs left , just Yolo the ships at point blank. If the time runs out or you are sunk does not matter IMO if that is what is needed.

For me the tasks that remains have been the CV and the cruiser/BBs (when I have got 3 stars).  

image.png.c0ab54a85c1b6feb9f73ee2e5e305eb6.png

Compared to the first mission this at least gives reasonable stars steadily. Sadly the absurd stars for extra rewards gives little incitament, but I play a few more now that my DD is strong.

• Like 1

A lot of fun, Ive played it quite a few times. +1 to WG for developing new Ops, proving that they actually can do it when they put their mind to it.

shot-24.06.16_12.46.18-0334.jpg

shot-24.06.16_12.05.07-0801.jpg

shot-24.06.16_12.04.55-0801.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know, but even a 4 - or 5 star victory doesn't feel good at least to me.  Those bots ALWAYS hit and are extremely difficult to sink. Not to talk about the bot planes that do hit you with highest accuracy in smoke and actually not visible. Very strange and joyless setup. Second account.

Skjermbilde 2024-06-17 094018.jpg

Skjermbilde 2024-06-17 094235.jpg

Skjermbilde 2024-06-17 094248.jpg

Skjermbilde 2024-06-17 094312.jpg

Edited by OT2_2
  • Like 1

Finally. Made a couple of 5 with the Z-33! 

shot-24_06.16_02_23_23-0701.thumb.jpg.692239fb8d18ac389afe9259147d7cff.jpg

shot-24_06.17_00_24.42-0098.thumb.jpg.f0c77484a4c3ea9a4f8c429d4a993eff.jpg

It took a bit of time. The usual solo play in a randomly assembled team, where one or two succumb to the bots' accurate fire during the early stages of the Operation, has made it hard for me to get five stars. As far as damage dealt is concerned, it is still around 201,000. 

9 hours ago, OT2_2 said:

Those bots ALWAYS hit and are extremely difficult to sink. Not to talk about the bot planes that do hit you with highest accuracy in smoke and actually not visible.

Can confirm with the bot DDs such as the Benson. I can throttle juke, and the mines can immobilize them. All in all, it has been fun and I'm playing this mode for the permanent camo for the Baltimore, as well as for target practice. They wiggle and sprint, and they do have a pattern on how they manuever, which ultimately makes them predictable to a certain degree. And when a bot shows broadside, the Z-33's MBRB can remove significant chunks of their HPs.

On 6/16/2024 at 10:31 PM, Gnirf said:

Which do you fellow players use?

Been enjoying the Z-33 a lot. I haven't tried the other rental ships yet.