D-Day: Atlantic Wall Defense

Frostbow

As you may have already known a new D-Day Operation, Atlantic Wall Defense, is now available on the live server. As soon as I finished the update process, I played 3 games, and I am liking it so far.

Just like with Utah Beach, I have no prior knowledge or experience playing any D-Day themed Operations as I do not have the PTS installed, so I was coming in with literally no idea on what to do, except to have fun.

There are four German destroyers provided by Wargaming as rental ships for this Operation, each with its own 'character': Z-32, Z-33, Z-34, and Z-38. Per the website all four are variants of the tech tree Z-31. 

I picked the Z-33 as my first DD. She has no smoke generator, but has an unlimited number of Main Battery Reload Booster, Engine Boost, and (according to the website) is equipped with Elbing's guns. I assigned my 21-pointer Hindenburg commander (who until today has not yet been assigned to any destroyer) and picked Fearless Brawler instead of the recommended Main Battery & AA Expert skill to complete the usual skill set.

Game 1: 6 Kills, 193965 Damage, 1209 Base XP. 4 Stars.

Deploying mines was something I did not expect to be doing—and when it works, such as when a bot is struck by one, it can be hilarious.

Another pleasant surprise was the Will of the Fallen, a buff that is triggered when an ally is sunk.

shot-24_06.12_21_57.35-0860.thumb.jpg.e9c32f0d8c7ff278bf540af5b750fe61.jpg

shot-24_06.12_21_57.43-0010.thumb.jpg.61534a345af1deef2fca7d3e20e08166.jpg

shot-24_06.12_21_57.51-0643.thumb.jpg.612967c5087a511fd9e78b650e729284.jpg

I think Atlantic Wall Defense is more fun to play than Utah Beach, but that's just me. Kudos to Wargaming for putting out new Operations.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just gave it my first try in a Z-34. 6 kills, but only 3rd highest bxp at 797. I almost got wrecked early on since I went to cover the east flank. Everyone else bunched up in the west. I took down the first two dds there but had to smoke up for a while. Only 4km torps surprised me... I had figured at least 6 but I managed 4 hits.

Then I got stuck in minelaying view for a while and couldn't get out... Dunno if that was a bug or if I was mashing the 9 key too fast...

All in all, it was a bit more enjoyable than Utah. I had a good team though, 5 stars on the first run. Yes, Will of the Fallen helped. I was low HP from the start. Once another teammate went down I was able to heal most of it back.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

Deploying mines was something I did not expect to be doing—and when it works, such as when a bot is struck by one, it can be hilarious.

Yep

But my money is on Z-34

Z34.png

She is like playing RN CL;s without the citting

51 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

I think Atlantic Wall Defense is more fun to play than Utah Beach, but that's just me. Kudos to Wargaming for putting out new Operations.

46721D76-957C-425A-9701-8D106F1B2173.gif

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, xamdam said:

Then I got stuck in minelaying view for a while and couldn't get out... Dunno if that was a bug or if I was mashing the 9 key too fast...

Yeah is a bit of a hassle. Need to press map and map again.

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, xamdam said:

5 stars on the first run.

Nice! 👍

17 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Yep

But my money is on Z-34

Thanks! Will definitely try it out in the next few days. 👍

• Like 1

BTW, in case you haven't noticed, the rentals are "premiums" so you can assign any commander without retraining. I'm using my 21pt Lutjens that I had spec'd with RDF. I find it useful.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, xamdam said:

BTW, in case you haven't noticed, the rentals are "premiums" so you can assign any commander without retraining. I'm using my 21pt Lutjens that I had spec'd with RDF. I find it useful.

Yes. They can use any German commander without retraining penalty! I used a 21 pointer because I want to earn ECXP and eventually use it to promote more commanders. 

On another note, I think these rentals can also be used in Random Operations? 

• Like 3

I do appreciate the four specially flavored rentals.
Especially the Z-33 The French flavored German destroyer and the Z-38 The Italian flavored German destroyer.

I really do look forward to trying those out, but just went out with my Maass for the first round, pretty fun five star, people can die quick if not careful.

• Like 3

Game 2: 6 Kills, 88272 Damage, 851 Base XP. Defeat!

From the first game win comes the inevitable defeat. I can't exactly recall when and how, but the team just fell apart fast.

A Benson concealed in smoke can be very annoying. These bots really know how to maximize their smoke and as expected, have this ability to anticipate where our shells will land, and then dodge them with dexterity.

I tried to lure them toward the Forts hoping they'll be hit. Then I tried to accelerate and decelerate while kiting, and used the MBRB as soon as it is available. 

But there was not much a solo Z-33 can do in the face of overwhelming firepower.

shot-24_06.12_23_36.21-0114.thumb.jpg.190f3f496f00ae30dea76bef03953b21.jpg

shot-24_06.12_23_36.17-0248.thumb.jpg.ee32a7f6124951b49d7b263788aad155.jpg

shot-24_06.12_23_36.15-0764.thumb.jpg.a82209678287df41779fb1feec65beb8.jpg

The container drop animation is... interesting! lol 

"Run away! Run away!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't won once. All my team mates are awful. Some people are so bad at this game.

• Sad 2

Hi all,

My 1st try on "live" today... EU update done...

Defeat... 3 DDs had below 100 BaseXP and 1 had just above 100 BaseXP... I and only other DD that knew how to play had no chance of winning despite multiple kills... one can only think about WoWs community in general with such abysmal results...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Sad 2

I just "won" a 3 star with "you are the only survivor" blaring in my ear several minutes before it ended... 1,236 bxp, next highest 675 and the rest 500 or below... sigh.

FWIW, Z-32 can pump out the torps, but your best off using wide spread overlapped.... My mines did 62k damage out of my total 171. I have no idea where the rest of the team was placing theirs, if they even did. Was something of a zerg rush at the end...

Edited by xamdam

My first match was fine, team knew what they were doing. Second match, I think 2 DDs got killed early but the rest managed to secure a victory.

Third match (see screenshots): Well ... the whole team basically committed suicide including a 64%-[player] (5?k matches) with 125k average damage. He just yoloed into the red DDs after we were the last two DDs alive.

Well I couldn`t blame him if he expected me to be just another lowbob noob.

Actually forgot to deploy a minefield in early match so I had to play it safe, deploying imho two minefields so the primary objective was met.

Wrote this guy after the victory, "Could have wasted myself too. But I didn`t. ..."

Fourth match: Utter failure, couldn`t be bothered anymore at this point.

Besides ... this whole Operation felt boring for me. 🙄

WoWs_Z-38 89k Atlantic Wall suicide team.png

WoWs_Z-38 89k Atlantic Wall suicide team_scoreboard.png

Edited by Captain_82

6 hours ago, xamdam said:

BTW, in case you haven't noticed, the rentals are "premiums"

5 hours ago, Frostbow said:

On another note, I think these rentals can also be used in Random Operations? 

Yes. But....

5 hours ago, Darlith said:

I do appreciate the four specially flavored rentals.

5 hours ago, Darlith said:

with my Maass

There are actually SEVERAL key differences between the rentals and the others

1. Rentals don't have the 5th upgrade slot.

2. Z-34's smoke dispersion time is a whopping 130 s !!!. That's more than 2 minutes of smoke sitting!.

Disclosure :I have a Z-39 in my port (EU)and wanted to take her out, so I took a good comparing look  at all the dd's I have there. On NA don't have TT dd's (except IJN) other than what Wedgie gave to me so could not do that.

It seemed odd to me in battle the unusually looong smoke but didn't take a look as to why. So now I know Smile_smile.gif.054af9b329387282775b9db3

Edited by Andrewbassg

59 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

59 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Disclosure :I have a Z-39 in my port (EU)and wanted to take her out, so I took a good comparing look  at all the dd's I have there. On NA don't have TT dd's (except IJN) other than what Wedgie gave to me so could not do that.

Tier VIIs in general lack the 5th upgrade slot, which is standard starting at tier VIII. Z-39 and Belfast are unique among tier VII ships in that they have the fifth upgrade slot.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Tier VIIs in general lack the 5th upgrade slot, which is standard starting at tier VIII. Z-39 and Belfast are unique among tier VII ships in that they have the fifth upgrade slot.

Hmm.... you are right.

I didn't played her too much and got confused by her special status....

Edited by Andrewbassg

Game 3: 6 Kills, 201851 Damage, 1235 Base XP. 4 Stars.

This is way more fun than the first. Like the previous 2 games, I positioned my Z-33 in such a way that I'll be able to defend the Forts without straying far that I can no longer be covered by them. Much of the damage I made was on the Nelson, who moved close enough that I scored a few torpedo hits. On the other hand, the Main Battery Reload Booster was primarily utilized whenever the bot destroyers show their broadsides.

And, I was a hair's breadth away from getting sunk.

shot-24_06.13_00_08.02-0580.thumb.jpg.b09f147d80f27468426844a6a38cb849.jpg

This was my first time to see reinforcements—and they arrived with just 30 seconds left. Zero impact.

shot-24_06.13_00_08.48-0294.thumb.jpg.f1b56bde0629d321929aba3392df0461.jpg

Still no 5 stars. Damn!

shot-24_06.13_00_09.24-0891.thumb.jpg.0a4e4ceb7354e2d083e9d0502618475a.jpg

shot-24_06.13_00_09.33-0208.thumb.jpg.42f48aec063423e34b280bc3d9fdba59.jpg

shot-24_06.13_00_09.42-0974.thumb.jpg.6c92b92cd2d9c7f3dca8fbe7b38f4054.jpg

shot-24_06.13_00_09.52-0757.thumb.jpg.39fbe7b4b79097f535305205097de2d2.jpg

• Like 1

3 matches last night; 2 defeats, 1 5-star Victory.  

If there ever was a mission impossible to do on your own but easy to do with your team's help... The Victory condition can't be achieved on your own (deploy 9 minefields) but if everyone does their part it is easy to complete. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

If there ever was a mission impossible to do on your own but easy to do with your team's help... The Victory condition can't be achieved on your own (deploy 9 minefields) but if everyone does their part it is easy to complete. 

Yup.

Z-39.png

z-39-2.png

3 starsSmile_sceptic.gif.97d8c8cbb10e163afd1a67

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

It was incredibly frustrating on the PTS when your team did fail, because all your teammates have to do is press a key and point and click. As long as people pay attention, the victory condition is very easy to achieve… but there’s a reason WG based the rewards for this event on completing secondary objectives.

• Like 2

Give people a break, chaps. Not everyone has played on PtS and we've got new maps, ships and mechanics to deal with. Lots of people will have no clue (like me). 

5 hours ago, Andrewbassg said:

There are actually SEVERAL key differences between the rentals and the others

2. Z-34's smoke dispersion time is a whopping 130 s !!!. That's more than 2 minutes of smoke sitting!.

It seemed odd to me in battle the unusually looong smoke but didn't take a look as to why. So now I know 

Yeah because they are based on the TT Z-31 they don't have the fifth slot because it does not, so not really a difference.

I assume the long smoke dispersion is because it gets an unmodified single smoke charge. So one 130s charge compared to 3 85s ones on the TT, I would really want to add superintendent if I had a high enough point captain on that one. Poor Z-32 though with a single short burst smoke, or Z-38 with a single exhaust really need it.

3 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Give people a break, chaps. Not everyone has played on PtS and we've got new maps, ships and mechanics to deal with. Lots of people will have no clue (like me). 

I think that even with one game it's not that difficult to figure out what to do (differences between rental Zerstoerers are another issue)?

Primary Tasks: Lay 8 minefields, preferably in useful locations; destroy allied Dido that would usually interrupt the process.

Secondary Tasks: survive until finish; keep at least 3 shore batteries alive; kill 8 Allied destroyers; kill CV Furious; shoot down at least 15 Allied CV attackers.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Darlith said:

would really want to add superintendent if I had a high enough point captain on that one. Poor Z-32 though with a single short burst smoke, or Z-38 with a single exhaust really need it.

U mean........ "u" will need to....... respecc??3FA2776D-8A8D-41C2-B76A-50D3530DBACA.gif.... da design, ze setup of things in wows   Smile_bajan2.gif.446b14dd672b197e9f67451.......

That's how I set up Lutjens  With SI.