Did WoWs Do Something (gulp, ummm) Right With the event pass?

Utt_Bugglier

Nonono, the rewards are still their uninspiring selves, but earning points is a little easier:

The 25k BXP task per week is now five 5k BXP tasks, worth five points each. In 13.4 , the task earned you only 20.

So, smaller increments, partial earnings possible, a bigger net at the end.

Maybe I should wait to see what the weekend missions look like before doing backflips, though, huh?

7 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Maybe I should wait to see what the weekend missions look like before doing backflips, though, huh?

From what I recall from the patch notes, the weekend missions will be unchanged. I’m disappointed that they are still running Thursday to Saturday and haven’t reverted back to Friday to Sunday, but breaking up the big weekly mission is definitely a positive change. There must not have been enough players earning enough points to be tempted to spend on the “premium” Event Pass.

16 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

There must not have been enough players earning enough points to be tempted to spend on the “premium” Event Pass.

I've been finishing the event pass every patch. In co-op. It's just 1500 BXP a night. 

48 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Nonono, the rewards are still their uninspiring selves, but earning points is a little easier:

The 25k BXP task per week is now five 5k BXP tasks, worth five points each. In 13.4 , the task earned you only 20.

Never look at the dental work of a gift-horse, eh?  😉 

19 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I've been finishing the event pass every patch. In co-op. It's just 1500 BXP a night. 

For the dailies...stop there (1,500 x 7 = 10,500 BXP in total there) & you leave a whole lot of the weeklies & weekendlies (that's right...i made that word up...on the spot) unfinished.

6 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

For the dailies...stop there (1,500 x 7 = 10,500 BXP in total there) & you leave a whole lot of the weeklies & weekendlies (that's right...i made that word up...on the spot) unfinished.

Depends on whether you just want to finish or chase as many after-party rewards as possible.

32 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

But if someone is not an every day player, and plays a small number of battles per day, they’ll come up short if they play less than 25 days per month.

The “1500 BXP per day player” would never get any of the 25k BXP per week deal, nor any of the 7000 BXP. They would have to play 2500 bBXP per day on weekends to get just one of the weekend rewards, 7000 BXP per day to get them all. (Which would also get them the 25k BXP reward, if they did the 1500 three of the remaining four days of the week.

Now, there is nothing wrong with the best rewards being available only to dedicated players. For the dedicated player, it is easy -until real life gets in the way.

I have distate for how the event pass system is so backloaded compared to the daily reward system:

Yeah, the amount of steel available is the same (well, except for the seven 31-day months of the year, but wait we get two extra for February with the new-except on leap year, where it’s only one), but you have to grind some 85-90% of the way to get past 50% of a months steel.

I like tgat this pass and recent ones are now awarding three port slots vs. the old monthly two.

Kind of renders the current port sluts now on sale as rather unnecessary.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

I have distate for how the event pass system is so backloaded compared to the daily reward system:

In Daily Chains, you had to win to finish the day. If you were on a losing streak, you were f***ed over.

25 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Never look at the dental work of a gift-horse, eh?  😉 

It just doesn’t pay to come out declaring things WG in too favorable a light, you know?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

The “1500 BXP per day player” would never get any of the 25k BXP per week deal, nor any of the 7000 BXP. They would have to play 2500 bBXP per day on weekends to get just one of the weekend rewards, 7000 BXP per day to get them all. (Which would also get them the 25k BXP reward, if they did the 1500 three of the remaining four days of the week.

Now, there is nothing wrong with the best rewards being available only to dedicated players. For the dedicated player, it is easy -until real life gets in the way.

Indeed. I’ve completed every Event Pass, and unless I’m traveling I’ll usually get my daily 1500 BXP, but I’m aware that I play more regularly than most. The change in the weekly mission from 1x25000 BXP to 5x5000 BXP won’t meaningfully affect me, but it will be a benefit to many other players. One doesn’t need to be disadvantaged by the old setup to recognize and appreciate that this new setup will be more friendly to casual players.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Thanks 1

As if EC is a representative sample of players...

Heh.

He's pretty exceptional.

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

In Daily Chains, you had to win to finish the day. If you were on a losing streak, you were f***ed over.

That’s one of the few things that I sometimes didn’t like about the old system (especially compared to the new one). There were times I had to switch to co-op or ops (if there was a group running them in one of my discords) if I hit a really bad losing streak. I was fine with that if I had to do it to complete the last three stages, but some players that wouldn’t be. Now I don’t mind as much, because losing streaks just mean I won’t get as much base xp in the game, not that I won’t get any daily mission/battle pass progress.

2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

There must not have been enough players earning enough points to be tempted to spend on the “premium” Event Pass.

Or enough players looking at the rewards and deciding the offer isn’t worth the price. I’ve finished the pass each month, but there have been a number of times I didn’t buy the premium side. 

1 hour ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Or enough players looking at the rewards and deciding the offer isn’t worth the price. I’ve finished the pass each month, but there have been a number of times I didn’t buy the premium side. 

Maybe, but to address those cases would require more substantive changes that could have potential affects on WG’s bottom line elsewhere, vs just shuffling around some of the intermediate requirements as was done here.

There will also always be those who don’t consider the rewards worth the monetary investment, insist on being FTP, or dislike the content for other reasons. This last pass was a prime example of a pass that appeals to some but not others, featuring not only a lot of cosmetic content that lots of players don’t care for, but being Azur Lane themed as well (I found some of the anger and indignation expressed here and on Reddit mildly amusing). The devs can’t please everybody.

I can see the intention behind this change being to both drive general player engagement (the grind becomes less discouraging when you can tackle it in smaller chunks and it isn’t all-or-nothing) as well as make the higher levels of the Event Pass more accessible to more casual players. The higher levels of the pass are also where there is greater temptation to spend money at the end of the update: players are presented with a lot of instantaneous rewards for clicking that upgrade button, there is the potential for sunk-cost-thinking (i.e. spending “just a little” for that last level to complete the pass), etc.

Edited by Nevermore135

5 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

IIRC, in the past (maybe beginning of this year) the weekly BP mission was 10 iterations of 2000 BXP earning you 2 points each, then two patches ago (or so) they nerfed it by introducing 1 iteration of 25000 BXP for that mission. This new version of 5 x 5000 BXP seems to be a new middle ground in difficulty, but with a better rewards profile.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

I only bought the premium side once, when they included the cost of the premium as a reward of the same number of doubloons you spent on it. Otherwise, I do not want to waste me hard-earned money feeding some shady Eastern Europeans in their tax enclave on Cyprus.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

This was the case for me from the start. I bought the first battle pass because who doesn't want a premium T7 ship at a stupidly low price? After that, quite a few of them held no appeal for me on the paid side. I considered this just fine; not everything WG does is something I do or should feel obliged to buy. This is the same with any product range from any company. 

• Like 2