Renown '44: Is she the Ranked T7 Dark Horse?

ArIskandir

Oh boy, am I having fun with this ship in Ranked... very very fun ship to play. I'm surprised she's not more popular but instead remains a rather obscure figure.

She's the perfect BB for a Cruiser player, fast, nimble, stealthy but also deceptively durable. The half-reload time on her healing is bonkers and provides ludicrous sustain under duress. On top of that, nobody expects a British Battlecruiser being a brawler, by the time they realize what's happening it is already too late... The main guns, even if few, are no joke; at mid range engagements it is easy to land over 50% of your shells, this ship is definitively no Gneisenau.

The only 'downside' is she's kinda soft but compared to a Cruiser, she packs  really good armor... and who needs armor anyway when you can heal faster than the enemy's ability to damage you. Over 33 knots of speed and 10.5km Concealment lets you control engagements against ships you don't want to engage. No other BB I've played feels as comfortable against DDs as this baby, in fact you can be a superbly effective DD hunter (you pack Hydro btw, and your turning circle is very reasonable) and against Cruisers, let's say they are roadkill against you. 

For T7 Ranked, this ship is great!  What do you think?

For me, it just works: 

image.thumb.png.209ad540c087566b22150e1858af4c60.png

Renown '44 is pure Rock'n'Roll

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

In the past, I've had enjoyable games while sailing the Renown in brawls modes.
She's a gud bote in my opinion.

• Like 1

Any ship is fine in bronze ranked...

Is silver and above still tiers 6 and 7?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Any ship is fine in bronze ranked...

Is silver and above still tiers 6 and 7?

I think Silver is T8-T9 this season

I find they blow up easy when my BB targets them. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mashed68 said:

I find they blow up easy when my BB targets them. 

Well, you are not meant to be trading shots 'macho style' with a regular BB... you take opportunity shots and walk away once things get 'even', just like a Cruiser. 

Renown’44 is in many ways a tier VII Georgia. She’s more than a bit over-tuned, with battlecruiser dispersion on overmatching (for her tier) guns, battleship plating, and four very useful gimmicks: hydro, speed boost, a 40s cooldown heal, and torpedoes. The comparison to same-tier Gneisenau (the other 6-gun BB at tier VII) is laughable.

I’m still trying to figure out how the ship got through testing in her current form, especially because she was an easily attainable ship in the Schroder NY dockyard. I can’t help but suspect the ship was an attempt to earn some good will from the playerbase - WG had been shooting themselves in the foot a lot in the lead up to that dockyard event, including the… interesting… decisions regarding the implementation of the tech tree Renown (the negative reception of which was soon followed by the announcement that Renown’44 was in development).

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Renown’44 is in many ways a tier VII Georgia. She’s more than a bit over-tuned, with battlecruiser dispersion on overmatching (for her tier) guns, battleship plating, and four very useful gimmicks: hydro, speed boost, a 40s cooldown heal, and torpedoes. The comparison to same-tier Gneisenau (the other 6-gun BB at tier VII) is laughable.

I’m still trying to figure out how the ship got through testing in her current form, especially because she was an easily attainable ship in the Schroder NY dockyard. I can’t help but suspect the ship was an attempt to earn some good will from the playerbase - WG had been shooting themselves in the foot a lot in the lead up to that dockyard event, including the… interesting… decisions regarding the implementation of the tech tree Renown (the negative reception of which was soon followed by the announcement that Renown’44 was in development).

I think they probably balanced her for Randoms, the short gun range may result more problematic when uptiered. But for a guaranteed same tier environment, she's quite strong. Also, there's the old 'balanced by skill' thing... she doesn't play in regular BB fashion so probably a significant number of players will struggle with her. 

• Like 1

I would agree, player experience and level of skill matters

Novice in a Renown is liable to show full broadside at 10-8km trying to long range torp, and to die horribly when incoming AP shells perforate their way to her vitals, Meanwhile same captain in Gneisenau will live (longer) to fire their guns and net more BXP and PR

But in hands of someone who knows the ship they play, the map and the ship they fight against, Renown 44' suddenly has the ceiling potential to be taken much further than Gneisenau thanks to it's flexibility & well behaving guns.

Edited by aleksi111
Typo fixes after night's rest
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

I think they probably balanced her for Randoms, the short gun range may result more problematic when uptiered. But for a guaranteed same tier environment, she's quite strong. Also, there's the old 'balanced by skill' thing... she doesn't play in regular BB fashion so probably a significant number of players will struggle with her. 

That just makes the comparison to Georgia all the more apt. Georgia was infamous for being a bit of a trap for inexperienced players, with her features being very well suited to getting them into trouble. Things have changed now that she’s been unavailable for so long, but it used to be a fairly frequent occurrence for Georgia players to overextend or try to brawl while ignoring the weaknesses of her Iowa-like hull. I suspect such performances dragging down her numbers was a significant reason why it took so long for WG to remove her from the Armory and shop despite the prevailing opinion that she was over-tuned.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

I find the idea that WG balances or removes ships from sale based on their performance in game somewhat laughable.

It's almost solely how popular they are in the matchmaker these days...

...and who can blame WG at this point? They have made the game so terribly balanced for so long...making changes to individual ships is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

8 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Oh boy, am I having fun with this ship in Ranked... very very fun ship to play. I'm surprised she's not more popular but instead remains a rather obscure figure.

She's the perfect BB for a Cruiser player, fast, nimble, stealthy but also deceptively durable. The half-reload time on her healing is bonkers and provides ludicrous sustain under duress. On top of that, nobody expects a British Battlecruiser being a brawler, by the time they realize what's happening it is already too late... The main guns, even if few, are no joke; at mid range engagements it is easy to land over 50% of your shells, this ship is definitively no Gneisenau.

The only 'downside' is she's kinda soft but compared to a Cruiser, she packs  really good armor... and who needs armor anyway when you can heal faster than the enemy's ability to damage you. Over 33 knots of speed and 10.5km Concealment lets you control engagements against ships you don't want to engage. No other BB I've played feels as comfortable against DDs as this baby, in fact you can be a superbly effective DD hunter (you pack Hydro btw, and your turning circle is very reasonable) and against Cruisers, let's say they are roadkill against you. 

For me, it just works: 

image.thumb.png.209ad540c087566b22150e1858af4c60.png

Renown '44 is pure Rock'n'Roll

I can now see that young grasshopper has earned his place.

Master Po says - Imgflip

• Like 1
  • Haha 1