Unofficial WoWs Players Opinion Survey by "black_falcon120" (EU server) - he made all those great XMas statistical surveys years ago on WoWs Forum

Leo_Apollo11

50 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

If anyone is interested, the results are in! 

One thing I would've asked, just thinking about this based on what someone said about carrier interaction with surface ships being intuitive, you should've asked are people satisfied with the current implementation of AA. I'm sure you would've gotten a near 100% strongly dissatisfied. Since AA is primarily how surface ships deal with CVs, its been a topic of significant debate and many of the more well known community personalities have spoken at length about AA issues(like @Sailor_Moon).

Its been a significant problem point that WG hasn't addressed from a balance perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, black_falcon120 said:

I hope this is interesting to you! 

Welcome to DevStrike!  🙂 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, black_falcon120 said:

I'll try 😄 

Ah ok, I got told by a load of people to always FXP modules... 

The surprising thing was the magnitude of the belief that premium ships are overpriced as of writing, the responses to the question: "Premium ships are fairly priced" is:

1: 128

2: 126

3: 71

4: 10 

5: 3

Don't know: 20 

Where 5  is strongly agree, and 1 is strongly disagree... 

"I wonder if Dire Straits are still getting money for nothing and chicks for free"?
c3cd3073cb9b75db77cfbf83ee03989f--money-  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MBT808 said:

One thing I would've asked, just thinking about this based on what someone said about carrier interaction with surface ships being intuitive, you should've asked are people satisfied with the current implementation of AA. I'm sure you would've gotten a near 100% strongly dissatisfied. Since AA is primarily how surface ships deal with CVs, its been a topic of significant debate and many of the more well known community personalities have spoken at length about AA issues(like @Sailor_Moon).

Its been a significant problem point that WG hasn't addressed from a balance perspective.

Maybe so, but I thought the survey was long enough as it is. AA is basically the flip side of CVs to most perspectives, so I didn't want to write a whole section on AA, which I think I would have needed to do to get anything useful. By the way, who is sailor moon? 

45 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Welcome to DevStrike!  🙂 

It's good to be here 😄

40 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

"I wonder if Dire Straits are still getting money for nothing and chicks for free"?
c3cd3073cb9b75db77cfbf83ee03989f--money-  

Bluntly this is my view as well. I don't deny premium ships are too expensive, but there's a reason WG prices them that way. I would probably have gotten better responses asking for them by tier, but maybe next time... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

By the way, who is sailor moon? 

@Sailor_Moon has been around for a number of years, on the old NA World of Warships forum, and has been here on DevStrike for pretty-much since this forum was created.
In the past she's done deep-dive comparisons of various main-gun, secondary battery gun and AA gun configurations.
She's also a famous/imfamous advocate for buffing the California (long history there, with some interesting/entertaining interactions with WOWs staff, CM's and CC's).

Her persistence paid-off somewhat with recent changes to the California.

She, as you may have surmised, is also an ardent fan of the anime' series featuring the Character named Sailor Moon.
https://sailormoon.fandom.com/wiki/Sailor_Moon_Wiki
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114327/

giphy.gif 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This poll, apparently, wasn't open for responses that long. 175 or so respondents & now closed. Viewing the results is/was somewhat interesting.

• Like 1

@black_falcon120 Thanks for putting this survey together. There are some very interesting results so far.  I would like to hear more about two of the results from the community and their opinions. 

The first is the question:  "In the game, people deliberately throwing the game is a problem."

Chart1.png.80ec5a54de630a90b738fd050094087a.pngAmong my several accounts and a little over 16,000 battles, I can say I've only encountered players deliberately throwing a game maybe 10 times. Now, to qualify my response, I am talking about "knowingly" influencing the outcome—either via chat to all or the use of Discord (synced drops into the game) - a coordinated effort by players.  This also includes what I would refer to as childlike behavior due to not liking MM, sitting back, and doing nothing but complaining in chat - purposely not being part of the game or displaying any level of teamwork.

I may be a little unenlightened, but I see games being thrown because individual players do not understand how the game works—from ship-type roles to tactical areas on the map that are neglected, such as the caps.  I cannot begin to point out the number of games lost due to someone blowing past a cap just to try to kill a ship or chase it down on the back of the map that takes them out of any level of teamwork - and this is just one example. I could list many more, but this brings me to the next question on the survey.

Chart2.png.40ee70dde42fae09ec4c814f3ecb0b6d.png"Players have an obligation to go outside the game (e.g YouTube) to find out how to play."  I personally believe that players should take it upon themselves to learn the game but should not have to "search" for answers.  This is an area of the game, in my opinion, WG has failed miserably with.  The game (in and out of game tutorials) does, in fact, explain basic roles, functions, and mechanics, but it stops at that point.  Here, WG has passed that responsibility off to the hands of content creators and streamers.  Some of this group do a truly outstanding job going in-depth for the benefit of players to better understand and improve their knowledge and skills - for those players willing to go above and beyond. One, for example, @Lord_Zath. Players, however, should not be obligated to search outside the game for answers.  WG could have easily incorporated some of these third-party resources into its various platforms for the sole purpose of expanding the players' game knowledge.

Finally, I add this: These third-party resources are not as abundant or up-to-date as they were in the past (@iChase comes to mind).  This, in turn, makes it more difficult for the player base to expand their knowledge.    There are perhaps several reasons for this, but this overall neglect (by WG), intentional or not, has, in my opinion, been detrimental to the game's growth and overall enjoyment over time.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

This poll, apparently, wasn't open for responses that long. 175 or so respondents & now closed. Viewing the results is/was somewhat interesting.

I do think the poll is still open.  I can see a total of 550 so far (446 w/in-game names).  @black_falcon120 is that a correct assumption?

Responses.png.b6ede2ab3e5a2fa66d6cb7c4e29e8b4a.png

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

I do think the poll is still open.

K, I linked from here with this name which is not active in WoWS servers (was, but isn't now). Perhaps, I have to get to 'Reddit' for the poll?

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

I see games being thrown

My pardon for just quoting this short expression out of context. Are games being 'thrown'? This is highly subjective & how does one objectively deal with this. It is a circumstantial argument. As you say, Hoghammer, you've seen , maybe, 10 'throws'. I think 'throws' are here/there in WoWS play. How many, what percentage is quite impossible to say. One would have to say (perhaps, everyone should say) there are some players who will 'throw' battles, sometimes, even by what is referred to as a 'fail division'. Not a division, necessarily, of two different tiers together but more a two player division that by most criteria looks to be intentionally dying early in a battle to give 10 other players a loss. I doubt three player divisions ever intentionally 'throw' a battle - that is more likely just a 'bad' division. Yes, imho,there are 'throwers' (hopefully, tho, not many).

Edited by Aethervox

47 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

@black_falcon120 Thanks for putting this survey together. There are some very interesting results so far.  I would like to hear more about two of the results from the community and their opinions. 

The first is the question:  "In the game, people deliberately throwing the game is a problem."

Chart1.png.80ec5a54de630a90b738fd050094087a.pngAmong my several accounts and a little over 16,000 battles, I can say I've only encountered players deliberately throwing a game maybe 10 times. Now, to qualify my response, I am talking about "knowingly" influencing the outcome—either via chat to all or the use of Discord (synced drops into the game) - a coordinated effort by players.  This also includes what I would refer to as childlike behavior due to not liking MM, sitting back, and doing nothing but complaining in chat - purposely not being part of the game or displaying any level of teamwork.

I may be a little unenlightened, but I see games being thrown because individual players do not understand how the game works—from ship-type roles to tactical areas on the map that are neglected, such as the caps.  I cannot begin to point out the number of games lost due to someone blowing past a cap just to try to kill a ship or chase it down on the back of the map that takes them out of any level of teamwork - and this is just one example. I could list many more, but this brings me to the next question on the survey.

Chart2.png.40ee70dde42fae09ec4c814f3ecb0b6d.png"Players have an obligation to go outside the game (e.g YouTube) to find out how to play."  I personally believe that players should take it upon themselves to learn the game but should not have to "search" for answers.  This is an area of the game, in my opinion, WG has failed miserably with.  The game (in and out of game tutorials) does, in fact, explain basic roles, functions, and mechanics, but it stops at that point.  Here, WG has passed that responsibility off to the hands of content creators and streamers.  Some of this group do a truly outstanding job going in-depth for the benefit of players to better understand and improve their knowledge and skills - for those players willing to go above and beyond. One, for example, @Lord_Zath. Players, however, should not be obligated to search outside the game for answers.  WG could have easily incorporated some of these third-party resources into its various platforms for the sole purpose of expanding the players' game knowledge.

Finally, I add this: These third-party resources are not as abundant or up-to-date as they were in the past (@iChase comes to mind).  This, in turn, makes it more difficult for the player base to expand their knowledge.    There are perhaps several reasons for this, but this overall neglect (by WG), intentional or not, has, in my opinion, been detrimental to the game's growth and overall enjoyment over time.

Content creators find their works becoming obsolete or out-dated due to changes made to World of Warships processes and systems.

For example:  Yuro created an excellent guide for playing/playing-against Submarines. 
Yet, he had to update it with a supplemental video within a handful of months.

I can imagine that content creators have been affected by this often enough to alter their decisions about which content they will create.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

K, I linked from here with this name which is not active in WoWS servers (was, but isn't now). Perhaps, I have to get to 'Reddit' for the poll?

Poll was "closed" when I checked on it, a few of hours ago.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Content creators find their works becoming obsolete or out-dated due to changes made to World of Warships processes and systems.

For example:  Yuro created an excellent guide for playing/playing-against Submarines. 
Yet, he had to update it with a supplemental video within a handful of months.

I can imagine that content creators have been affected by this often enough to alter their decisions about which content they will create.

^^^This I agree 110% with^^^.

The continual addition of ships and changes to ships and classes have kept everyone on their toes regarding content. I will say that forum content (updating information) in the resources section has been a real challenge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aethervox said:

I got 550 responses, and the answers were slowing down, so I thought it was a good time to close it. The results were clear, and weren't shifting much. It was open for about 20 hours - I didn't want to waste any one else's time if their voting wouldn't change the results much. Just curious, do you think I made the right call? 

2 hours ago, HogHammer said:

I agree, I wish I'd rephrased it to 'my expereince in WoWs is materially affected by intentional throwers' - I suspect YT hype makes them seem worse than they are. 

Onto your next point, I did ask "Game mechanics in game are explained well and intuitively" and although the response was negative, it wasn't 'that' negative. So it appears the consensus is WG do a good job. Or Redditors don't realise how bad current in game tutorials are/don't know too much about the mechanics iceberg. Other than that, I agree. 

My semi-serious conspiracy theory is that it is intentional - it lets motivated players very quickly get themselves into a superior position with a few hours of research. This 'time sunk' encourages them to keep playing, and the advantage they gain makes them feel better about the game. And for those who don't care about winning, they are blissfully ignorant... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HogHammer said:

I do think the poll is still open.  I can see a total of 550 so far (446 w/in-game names).  @black_falcon120 is that a correct assumption?

Responses.png.b6ede2ab3e5a2fa66d6cb7c4e29e8b4a.png

That is correct!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HogHammer said:

Just to ask, how would you like me to ask about it in a future survey? I don't think I can ask people if they think someone is throwing, but actually aren't.  I also agree with you about the external sources of information, but again, I'm not sure what I can ask about this? 

On 6/8/2024 at 6:17 AM, black_falcon120 said:

By the way, who is sailor moon?

A bit fashionably late but.....me!

giphy.gif.1861c23dfb7577ae7e32b6149f8abb21.gif

Champion of love, justice, AND ship balance! California buff advocate since June 2020 (so yeah, her release date lols). Warships enjoyer, secondaries enjoyer and unofficial DevStrike mascot! Also a WoWs reddit moderator and WG supertester to boot! ❤️

Name's Serena btw, welcome to DevStrike! ~-~°(^v^)°v~-~

Edited by Sailor_Moon
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2024 at 6:37 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

@Sailor_Moon has been around for a number of years, on the old NA World of Warships forum, and has been here on DevStrike for pretty-much since this forum was created.
In the past she's done deep-dive comparisons of various main-gun, secondary battery gun and AA gun configurations.
She's also a famous/imfamous advocate for buffing the California (long history there, with some interesting/entertaining interactions with WOWs staff, CM's and CC's).

Her persistence paid-off somewhat with recent changes to the California.

She, as you may have surmised, is also an ardent fan of the anime' series featuring the Character named Sailor Moon.
https://sailormoon.fandom.com/wiki/Sailor_Moon_Wiki
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114327/

giphy.gif 

Ahhh geez, thanks for the full intro there Wolf!

tenor.gif.721e9fee09281a3f5cc118b55982f1f4.gif

You got pretty much all the things too!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Sailor_Moon said:

Ahhh geez, thanks for the full intro there Wolf!

tenor.gif.721e9fee09281a3f5cc118b55982f1f4.gif

You got pretty much all the things too!

Thanks and you're welcome.  🙂 
giphy.gif 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 9:07 PM, black_falcon120 said:

I'll try 😄 

Ah ok, I got told by a load of people to always FXP modules... 

The surprising thing was the magnitude of the belief that premium ships are overpriced as of writing, the responses to the question: "Premium ships are fairly priced" is:

1: 128

2: 126

3: 71

4: 10 

5: 3

Don't know: 20 

Where 5  is strongly agree, and 1 is strongly disagree... 

Sadly I missed the poll. But was the question divided on tiers?

Personally I think that the premium prize is too scaled up at the higher tiers. While I sort of understand that the prize of a premium is meant to cover the artwork and the benefits you get from it the high tier prizes are far too high. But the lower/mid tiers have a different verdict. Also when you already have a huge numbers of premiums both bought and aquired through free resources the value diminishes even for me as a kind of whale.