odd issue in ops

derf

absolutely every single time I see some one in that rental ship [Le Gall stone]

in regular ops they die fast and stupid...without fail.

I am guessing the ship (I got one as well, though untouched) is for the D-Day event and these are captains who otherwise do to have a ship of high enough tier

for ops and have no clue what to do.

or is there a mission where you hasta yolo in a French ship?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

It's a known issue at this point i believe, many of us have encountered this problem and we are all veeery thankful to WG for handing them out to everyone no matter how inexperienced they are, so they can spam OPs with them. They could at least limited them to the D-Day Operations, but no, of course not. If i start an Operation and i have 3 of them in my team, i loose all hope for winning it, but i play defensively and try my best to get at least a 1 Star win, sometimes it works.

Edited by UnrepentantSinner
  • Like 3

Just be glad they didn't give out rental DDs.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Decent DD can do absolutely great work in Aegis, Narai and few other ops

Where as they are more of a drag in Ultimate Frontier and others where long range fire and changing points of focus are the norm.

IIRC, back when Aegis was T6 only and we had operations of the week, I racked +340k in Ernst Gaeda as my personal record. 15cm AP vs 102-76mm cruiser citadels & 8km fast reloading torps are a lethal arsenal

Today's ops? I just got back to them yesterday after years away and braved to try in Lightning.

6 kills, 260k, 21torpedo hits (and a "Ray" achievement) in Aegis with 4 Star win as top of the team.

Not my best game, but good enough given the exact makeup of AI ships spawned + lag spikes & delay of ~40s in loading into battle

But yeah... ...rental DDs in inexperienced (or just plain bad) hands is quick way to lose a teammate, be it Ops or PvP or any other gamemode

Edited by aleksi111
Typo + changed word
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, aleksi111 said:

My DD must be one of the indecent ones then...

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

My DD must be one of the indecent ones then...

The key, is in embracing the knowledge of where the bots spawn, and where they will go to -and positioning yourself accordingly, utilizing the DDs speed and concealment to line up broadside torpedo spreads

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aleksi111 said:

The key, is in embracing the knowledge of where the bots spawn, and where they will go to -and positioning yourself accordingly, utilizing the DDs speed and concealment to line up broadside torpedo spreads

Yeah but the bots are dirty cheaters.

• Like 1

Here's very rough route I use with DDs in Aegis. -Also worked with Leander back in the day.

The numbered lines are ~rough~ torpedo spread launches

image.png.34f6464398da1798b977daf9de42ab30.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1. Just something hopeful thrown at the innitial Bot detachment's path, assuming friendly fail to kill them
  2. Is close range, usually inside smoke, spread at the ships of 2nd detachment -If you can citadel targets with AP (reliably) then torpedo another target and shoot which you can
  3. Classical behind the island ambush of convoying cruisers
  4.  And 5. -Nagato's, do account for them changing course and accelerating after spawn

6. Amagi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aleksi111 said:

Aegis is easy mode for a good DD player, and in fact a good DD player is required to have a chance for 5 stars, because noone else can reliably get rid of the Nagatos fast enough (xcept maybe china torp CLs).

Alas, a decent player can also do good in La Glasscannoniere, it is by no means a bad ship. The problem is as always the players. And rental ships attract terrible players like poo attracts flies.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kruzenstern said:

Alas, a decent player can also do good in La Glasscannoniere, it is by no means a bad ship.

thanks... i was wondering   having seen ZERO good runs i began to doubt.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, derf said:

I am guessing the ship (I got one as well, though untouched) is for the D-Day event and these are captains who otherwise do to have a ship of high enough tier

The rental La Gas is given to every player who has an account level 6 or higher. Level 6 is like novice who can barely even equip ship modules and maybe a commander. Lowest I saw was a player with a week old account and less than 50 games in total. I assume they are new and lower my expectations immediately I see one of the rentals - especially if there is no clan tag on them.

The only reason I checked that players stats was because I was in a div with my son, who had started ranting about "useless" players and I had to defuse him.

Edited by UnderTheRadarAgain
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, derf said:

rental ship [Le Gall stone]

I have the La Galissionniere in my port &, still, War Failing gave me a rental one. As if I'd ever use a rental that I'd have to equip when I have the fully equipped regular tech tree version. Talk about utter War Failing sloppiness. As to Ops, I do not participate in those (perhaps, I should?).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

As to Ops, I do not participate in those (perhaps, I should?).

I generally didn't play ops but since I've done decent at the halloween event or the D-Day event, I thought I would try them and they are fun. I find you can understand what is going on quite quickly. I was kind of hesitant at first because I didn't know the maps but this learning curve is very short.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

As to Ops, I do not participate in those (perhaps, I should?

Personally, I like Scenario Operations.  I encourage you to give them a try.
With the changes made (last year? September 2022) more ships are able to participate and the matchmaker adjusts the 'Bot A.I. ships according to the ships that the players bring.
It can be quite a challenge to "carry" a Scenario Operation that goes awry early.
Alternatively, it can be a delightful joy to work with a team of seasoned players who can properly play a scenario and win with all player's ships still afloat.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Scenarios

Edited to add.  If you click on the image next to the scenario description, additional details and a map are provided.

Additional edit:

Notes

Changes in Update 11.8

In September 2022, the Operations were significantly overhauled. The weekly rotation of a single Scenario was replaced with a random selection from eight possible Scenarios, restoring the "Season 2" Scenarios The Ultimate Frontier, Hermes, and Cherry Blossom that had been unavailable for several years. The 30-minute cool-down after using a ship in Operations was removed, and the one-time rewards for completing a particular Operation were replaced by weekly combat missions that awarded Community Tokens and a Supercontainer. Captains could now enter with any ship from Tiers VI, VII, and VIII. Creating a division still allows captains to select which Scenario they want to play.

Originally, players were awarded a star (Campaign_pin.png) for each of the five secondary objective completed, but only if they accomplished the main objective. A star earned one-time rewards ranging from signal flags to experienced commanders to premium account time. At the end of each Scenario, a splash screen appeared that broke down the results and rewards. No additional rewards were granted for completing the Scenario again and earning the same number of stars.

With the release of Update 10.8, any stars earned in Operations were reset. Stars their corresponding reward could be earned again.

In Update 11.8, the stars were removed and only the bonus of secondary objectives rewarding additional Credits and XP remained.[2] The completion or failure of a secondary objective is displayed on the end-of-battle splash screen with checks and Xs instead.

In Update 11.10 The weekly combat missions for operations that awarded Community Tokens and containers were removed.

The D-day operations include the use of Classified Documents for their duration. These can only be acquired and used for the D-Day operations during updates 13.4 and 13.5 You can acquire these Classified Documents by unlocking Intelligence Folders from the reward track in the Operation rewards. Opening each Folder will reward you with a random Classified Document, which come in three secrecy levels: Confidential, Secret, and Top Secret. These Documents will provide you different buffs against certain enemy types, with additional bonuses depending on the secrecy level. Confidential is the base level; Top Secret is the highest level.

1. Jump up Any surface ship may be selected for any Operation with the exception of Operation: Wolfpack which only allows submarines, and there is no longer a wait time or fee for reusing the same ship.
  2. Jump up Each completed secondary objective is worth about 10% bonus to base experience per task completed, or a loss of 8.8% per task failed

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, derf said:

The VI La Galissonnière has her virtues, but being "tanky" isn't one of them.  She also doesn't have a repair party consumable.

Learning to play the VI La Galissonnière well is something that seems like a never-ending journey, for me.  🙂 

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

20 hours ago, Kruzenstern said:

Aegis is easy mode for a good DD player, and in fact a good DD player is required to have a chance for 5 stars, because noone else can reliably get rid of the Nagatos fast enough (xcept maybe china torp CLs).

Alas, a decent player can also do good in La Glasscannoniere, it is by no means a bad ship. The problem is as always the players. And rental ships attract terrible players like poo attracts flies.

Pobeda can do good work on that op against the Nagatos...but not as good as a seasoned DD for sure.