Evidently sea mines at Utah Beach were a problem

Tpaktop2_1 NA

Drachinifel has released a new video, Mined off Normandy - From a survivor of USS Tide. It is part one of the USS Tide story. The Tide was a minesweepr of the Auk class. On the day after the invasion (June 7) the Tide hit a mine. It was a hull breaker. 108 was listed as their crew complement. The Tide lost their commanding officer, Lt. Cdr. Allard B. Heyward along with 11 other sailors during the mine attack. I would like to see the next video that follows this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tide_(AM-125)

Note: Mine fields do not move on their accord quickly in real life. They may drift some, but not 5 miles in less than a minute Wargaming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

They are a problem in the operation too, at least for me. I regularly dance into them.

14 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

They are a problem in the operation too, at least for me. I regularly dance into them.

I've found it decent to just head into them following whoever is going, and combo-clearing a path through. 

12 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

I've found it decent to just head into them following whoever is going, and combo-clearing a path through. 

You don't get blown up when you do that?

57 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Exploit warning:  "follow the Leader".  The first ship starts to clear a path that is then filled with two other team mates on either side of the cleared lane.  It clears a channel really fast.  Note: depth charge ships not air dropped ships.  If you work together in the lane clearing you are through pretty quick.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Asym said:

Exploit warning:  "follow the Leader".  The first ship starts to clear a path that is then filled with two other team mates on either side of the cleared lane.  It clears a channel really fast.  Note: depth charge ships not air dropped ships.  If you work together in the lane clearing you are through pretty quick.

Yes, the air dropped ones are completely useless.

Ironically, aren't there planes that are used to de-mine minefields?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Nno, the barrel ship clears a bunch and then I help them advance with air strikes, and then they clear a bunch, repeat. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

IRL these were twin-engined bombers (or bigger) fitted with a very large and powerful magnetic coil to explode magnetic mines.

The mines in this game are contact-triggered; degaussing would not work.

• Like 1

Atlanta with minefield perk (at lowest level) clears whole minefield in 2, well timed, depth charges drop.

Generally this is only mode, when ship based ASW is better than ASW planes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

There were.

• Thanks 1