Anomaly! Where are all the UK DDs?

Aethervox

Posted (edited)

This post grew from a comment I made in the "Weekend oh God my f#$..." thread where I made an observation on what UK DD classes/types were in WoWS.

Well, I did some research & here is what I found;

In WoWS, in the UK tech tree (T2 - T10) we find 9 UK classes/types of DD. Examining the other tech tree lines (EU & PA) we find 4 more UK classes/types represented.

Researching the real UK DD history from 1913* - 1945, I found something like 45 real classes/types of UK DD (not including, essentially, one offs) whereas, in WoWS, we see only 13 UK DD classes/types. That is not even 1/3 of what is available. Admittedly, many UK DD types likely had relatively minor alterations. Still, the UK was producing myriads of DDs during WW1, WW2 & in the intervening years to the total from 1913 - 1945 of over 816 DDs! Only the USA could (possibly) come close to this number.

In conclusion, WoWS (Wedgie) could readily offer & produce, at least, one (if not two) alternate regular tech tree UK DD lines.

* I do not even include the 1900 - 1912 UK DD classes/types (quite a number here, as well).

Edited by Aethervox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They've still got another 20,000 Fletcher clones to sort before they get round to this!!!!

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

In conclusion, WoWS (Wedgie) could readily offer & produce, at least, one (if not two) alternate regular tech tree UK DD lines.

Yeah...it wouldn't be too hard. Another UK DD line (perhaps optimized for anti-sub ability) makes a lot of sense.

• Like 4

WG staff have only a rudimentary, shallow knowledge of actual naval history.

Even now, they believe that they are running out of content for the game...

LOL

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

WG staff have only a rudimentary, shallow knowledge of actual naval history.

You're giving them too much credit...

• Haha 2

Most are low to mid tier material, most also happen to be very similar in concept and configuración. I guess they are waiting for the next Big Bad Gimmick to corrupt a second TT line with it and given them their own 'identity and playstyle' apart from the existing lines... Mines are on the horizon.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Most are low to mid tier material, most also happen to be very similar in concept and configuración. I guess they are waiting for the next Big Bad Gimmick to corrupt a second TT line with it and given them their own 'identity and playstyle' apart from the existing lines... Mines are on the horizon.

Historical capabilities and tiers are not required to be tied together...

After all, look at Jager...

Some time back I posted a line just of Commonwealth DDs (all British designed) with anti-sub gimmicks.

Plenty of room to add more UK DDs with just a minimum of creativity.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark
  • Like 3

Nah better split another battleship line for stuff nobody wants

• Bored 1

On 6/3/2024 at 5:37 PM, Aethervox said:

This post grew from a comment I made in the "Weekend oh God my f#$..." thread where I made an observation on what UK DD classes/types were in WoWS.

Well, I did some research & here is what I found;

In WoWS, in the UK tech tree (T2 - T10) we find 9 UK classes/types of DD. Examining the other tech tree lines (EU & PA) we find 4 more UK classes/types represented.

Researching the real UK DD history from 1913* - 1945, I found something like 45 real classes/types of UK DD (not including, essentially, one offs) whereas, in WoWS, we see only 13 UK DD classes/types. That is not even 1/3 of what is available. Admittedly, many UK DD types likely had relatively minor alterations. Still, the UK was producing myriads of DDs during WW1, WW2 & in the intervening years to the total from 1913 - 1945 of over 816 DDs! Only the USA could (possibly) come close to this number.

* I do not even include the 1900 - 1912 UK DD classes/types (quite a number here, as well).

Well we're also missing multiple Battleship-classes from before and after WW1 (WW1 being the height of the Dreadnought era).

While people hate them, there are also multiple CVs and Sub classes missing as well. 

Let's face it, we can look at each country tech tree and say 'this class' needs to be represented or this other should be present.
(Argus, Eagle, Courageous-class, K-class Sub, Revenge-class, Brooklyn (1896), Northampton-class, Fargo-class, Helgoland-class, Scharnhorst-class (1906), etc)

9 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Nah better split another battleship line for stuff nobody wants

They are 'past masters' at stuff nobody wants...

From CV remaster to the abominations WG calls subs!

• Like 1

The USN tree is missing fewer classes (British DD orders tended to be made for one or two flotillas at a time, with each flotilla of ~8 ships being its own class, so they wound up with more DD classes, each slightly refined over the last... whereas the USN just made bulk Wickes and Clemson orders during WWI, then took a decade-and-change-long holiday from building any new DDs at all and just brought a few more up from the reserve whenever the in-service ships wore out or wrecked) but there are still enough to populate a whole second line all the way from T2:

Every USN DD class within the scope of the game's depicted timeframe (missing classes in italics), in chronological order:

Smith (T2 premium)
Paulding
Cassin
Aylwin
O'Brien
Tucker

Sampson (T2 tech tree)
Caldwell
Wickes (T3 tech tree, with Campbeltown as a T3 British RN premium)
Clemson (T4 tech tree)
Farragut (T6 tech tree, with Monaghan as a T6 premium)
Porter
Mahan (T7 tech tree)
Gridley
Bagley

Somers (T10 special, not available)
Benham (T9 premium, not available except as an ultra-rare container drop)
Sims (T7 premium)
Benson (T8 USN tech tree, with Loyang as a T8 Pan-Asian premium)
Gleaves (T8 Pan-Asian tech tree as Hsienyang)
Fletcher (T9 tech tree for both USN and Pan-Asian lines, plus 4 and soon to be 5 more as various T8-9 premiums)
Allen M. Sumner (T10 Pan-Asian tech tree as Yueyang)
Gearing (T10 tech tree)
Norfolk (one-off prototype)
Mitscher

Forrest Sherman (T10 special)

--------

...but yeah, it is damned weird that WG has waited so long to give the world's two most prolific DD builders the line split treatment to bring in a few more of their missing classes.

• Like 4

On 6/3/2024 at 2:37 PM, Aethervox said:

Still, the UK was producing myriads of DDs during WW1, WW2 & in the intervening years to the total from 1913 - 1945 of over 816 DDs! Only the USA could (possibly) come close to this number.

I did a count of the US DDs (probably missed some) & came up with 842 DDs  which is slightly more than the UKs approx 816.

One main difference is that the US produced a few DDs in huge numbers (eg. Wickes 111, Clemson 156, Fletcher 175 & Gearing 98).

On 6/4/2024 at 5:41 PM, Wrath_of_Deadguy said:

there are still enough to populate a whole second line all the way from T2:

Yes, there could be a second US DD tech tree