Admiral_Karasu

Sink the Bismarck! is the June Movie of the Month for us at the Warships in Movies Club.

This movie is a depiction of a WW2 battle involving capital ships yet it has no actual establish name by which it could be known. It is the series of engagements that lead to the failure of Operation Rheinübung intended to block Allied shipping to Britain in 1941.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmfxl2oQGqI

The real thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DT0NqBgoAs

This movie stars Kenneth More (that's a BIG STAR for those who don't know) and several other leading British actors many of who, as was typically the case in the post war period, had seen war time service in WW2.

Kenneth More (Captain Shepard) served on HMS Illustrious, Esmond Knight (Captain Leach, Prince of Wales) served as a gunnery officer on the Prince of Wales and was badly wounded in the battle), Jack Gwillim (Captain Patterson, George V) had a 20 year long career in Royal Navy, and Michael Hordern (Admiral Sir John Tovey) served on HMS Illustrious.

You may remember that Sink the Bismarck came second in the May poll. I have had a sneaky suspicious many of you go and watch all the polled movies anyway, grabbing pop corn and sneaking off somewhere to enjoy all of the movies, so I took upon myself to engage the services of a well known private sleuth and had my suspicions confirmed...

image.jpeg.ba04dba8aa41c65ab265f2ca3ce5885c.jpeg

Mind you, no harm done, of course. If I may, I'd also like to take this opportunity to spam our modest Warships in Movies club a bit here. Joining is free and voluntary, and not required to watch any of the movies but folks who join might also want to share their experiences or thoughts the movies provoke in a casual, relaxed atmosphere of the club. We talk about the movies, and maybe a little bit about the historical events too.

We are not overly pretentious about things, it's just a nice friendly atmosphere in pleasant surroundings that we have to offer. Quite casual, everyone is welcome to come as they are!

image.jpeg.fc5d130d410cf0b671c5b7ab9b5c97d9.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sink the Bismarck! is an adaptation of a C.S. Forester (of Hornblower fame) novel entitled "The Last Nine Days of the Bismarck".

I have to say the film got the catchier title. 😆

Country singer Johnny Horton got so excited about the movie he wrote the song "Sink the Bismark" (sic in original edition, corrected in later ones) which was used in the trailer for the US release.

• Like 3

Watched it last night, it’s been at least 30 years since I last saw it. Surprised that they showed one of Captain Phillip Vian’s 4th destroyer flotilla being sunk during their torpedo attack on Bismarck, I guess some poetic license has to be expected from all movie renditions of actual events. 

• Like 2