D-Day operations

Justin_Simpleton

12 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

Oklahoma (Coal containers T5) is free. WV '44 is less effective than many high DPM cruisers, which are also free. Like Eendracht (Tech tree T7), which is allegedly one of the most effective ships available. As effective as Atlanta (my go to pick) is, Flint (Coal T7) can be just as effective being nearly identical.

I'll be the first to tell you this event has problems, but pay2win isn't really one of them.

🙂👍

3 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

LOL

Take ship only available for money...then totally respec it just for this limited time OP (with money), so you can win.

Got to love pay2win mechanics...

Atlanta can be obtained by the T7 ship containers obtainable with community tokens. Dubloons is not the only way to get her.

I am almost done with the rewards. 4 stars to go and I've been playing off and on to-day. When you get more classified documents, one of them in particular is extremely useful. We got 4 out of 5 stars the last battle with two nev'r do wells. But people are getting the hang of it. The learning curve is not that steep.

38 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

It's a pay2win event.

Dutch CLs are S-tier effective for this Operation. Dido was a Freemium event rewards, Flint is Coal so also Freemium.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

Oklahoma (Coal containers T5) is free. WV '44 is less effective than many high DPM cruisers, which are also free. Like Eendracht (Tech tree T7), which is allegedly one of the most effective ships available. As effective as Atlanta (my go to pick) is, Flint (Coal T7) can be just as effective being nearly identical.

I'll be the first to tell you this event has problems, but pay2win isn't really one of them.

Coal ships are not free. They are rewards for time in game.

9 minutes ago, BlueMax1916 said:

Atlanta can be obtained by the T7 ship containers obtainable with community tokens. Dubloons is not the only way to get her.

Community tokens are not free. They are compensation for game activities.

4 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Dutch CLs are S-tier effective for this Operation. Dido was a Freemium event rewards, Flint is Coal so also Freemium.

Too bad I have already reached Haarlem...

• Haha 1
  • Bored 2

8 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Community tokens are not free. They are compensation for game activities.

Where did I mention it were free?

7 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

8 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Eendracht (Tech tree T7), which is allegedly one of the most effective ships available.

I guess Tech tree ships (that you didn't unlock via early access) are pay2win too.

I know where this line of discussion goes, since I've seen it before. I disagree that everything is pay2win in this game, and I'll leave it at that.

• Like 5

Finished 4 stars with 2 T5 and 1 T6, the rest of course were T7.

They want 15 stars for a 1 signals container, but I am not that motivated.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

So are silver ships you know... You really are losing it a bit on your pay2win crusade...

Also Renown '44 was a mid level dockyard reward easily attainable by everyone without using any RL money. And while arguably the best BB for this Operation, it is surpassed by many tech tree cruisers and prolly some DDs to boot.

Edited by Kruzenstern
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

I guess Tech tree ships (that you didn't unlock via early access) are pay2win too.

I know where this line of discussion goes, since I've seen it before. I disagree that everything is pay2win in this game, and I'll leave it at that.

Techtree ships aren't free either...

Im just being pedantic with the whole 'this op is easy (if you spend some money)' line of reasoning.

10 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

So are silver ships you know... You really are losing it a bit on your pay2win crusade...

Also Renown '44 was a mid level dockyard reward easily attainable by everyone without using any RL money. And while arguably the best BB for this Operation, it is surpassed by many tech tree cruisers and prolly some DDs to boot.

I've ground past Eendracht...it would cost me a lot of in-game resources to buy her again and kit her out with proper captain.

...but I can just pay money to alleviate that reality.

I didn't obtain Renown, and I play regularly.

I don't think you understand what 'easily obtainable' means for most free2play accounts.

8 hours ago, UnderTheRadarAgain said:

Atlanta is a fantastic pick. But Eendrach is better. The airstrike kills the airfield in a single drop.

The guns are accurate and have flat arcs which make killing s-boots quite easy (especially compared to Atlanta). The HE is effective against the airfield and the AA as well. And the AP is as good as Atlanta against the gun emplacements.

I played 15 games so far, all wins. Asia server. It's obvious most players are inept and clueless, so you got to take charge and focus the PRIMARY objectives first.

Spot the AA, and kill the 4 emplacements. This triggers the spotter planes that sweep in from behind - revealing the gun casements and the airfields. Kill all of those. Killing the airfields stops the air attacks on our ships. Killing the gun casemates stops them from killing the LST's that get past the final red not spawns and the minefield drops that come in from off map.

The minefields need to be cleared and at least 3 LST's from both flanks need to reach the beach if you hope to get 5 stars.

But you do not need any to survive at all to win the operation. All you must do is the PRIMARY objective which is supress/kill the gun emplacements and the AA. 

The entire op is easy when you focus on the objectives and take a ship suitable for everything. Ship based depth charges is a MUST. It's too bad the community demanded plane based asw on all the cruisers. At least we have 3 viable cruiser picks. Eendracht, Flint and Atlanta.

I don't rate BB's at all. But you can make do with a BB if you focus on the primary objectives.

Can confirm:  Eendracht takes out the airfield in one Airstrike... pretty cool! 

Her guns are good (but slow) against the schnellboots, but if you don't have a radar partner with you, the destroyers are going to chip you away from inside smoke... they won't come out unless they're flushed. 

Eendracht also has depth charges and did a great job on the minefields.  He worked great on the shore batteries with the classified documents buff.  Used AA, improved depth charges and shore battery HE pen classified documents.

She can't "carry" the way an Atlanta does, but is a solid TT choice that brings something unique to the fight.

4 boat kills, 51 planes and 1364 bxp for my Eendrachtl run... plus destroyed one of the airfields (very satisfying 🙂) ... the DDs got me and the Warspite before I could get to the other.  One star with no real help from the team except the good Warspite player, but we both were destroyed by the last wave of DDs without any other teammates to help.

Fair winds and following seas!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

What about folks who don't have Atlanta?

I do not have the Boise, but perhaps it is an alternative to the Atlanta.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, majmac said:

I do not have the Boise, but perhaps it is an alternative to the Atlanta.

I have ALL the boats. Boise would be a beast apart from one feature that pretty much relegates it to 2nd tier for me. Plane based ASW. Plane based ASW is incredibly weak when having to deal with a minefield. 

There are now only 3 T7 cruisers with ship based ASW. Atlanta, Flint and Eendrach. You need those depth charges coming off your ship to clear the minefields so you can get back into the objectives.

Edited by UnderTheRadarAgain
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Oh look, more premiums.

Oh look, even more premiums.

It's a pay2win event.

Regrinding the Brit Cl line, I'm finding Leander works ok.  Even has a heal.

16 hours ago, UnderTheRadarAgain said:

There are now only 3 T7 cruisers with ship based ASW. Atlanta, Flint and Eendrach. You need those depth charges coming off your ship to clear the minefields so you can get back into the objectives.

Fiji as well, although she doesn’t drop as many per charge (still preferable to airstrike ASW in this situation).

I’m legitimately wondering if the devs are pushing mines into the game simply as a way to make ship-based ASW on cruisers even slightly relevant, as it is so badly overshadowed by ASW airstrikes.

Got my first 5 star win tonight:

6.1.24.png

6.1.24a.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Fiji as well, although she doesn’t drop as many per charge (still preferable to airstrike ASW in this situation).

I’m legitimately wondering if the devs are pushing mines into the game simply as a way to make ship-based ASW on cruisers even slightly relevant, as it is so badly overshadowed by ASW airstrikes.

Clearing mines was part of the actual DDay, so I don't thing we need to tinfoil this... yet...  😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Beleaf said:

Loving my P2W Atlanta

I love my P2W Ark Royal.

• Haha 1

Still watching the museum stream from last night, could only manage 5 1/2 hours before going to bed at 7 AM. 

The Force Blue documentary opened my eyes and I learned a LOT. I knew demolition teams had gone in to clear paths through the obstacles, but never knew exactly how and the timeline etc.

That segment also revealed to me why the games operation is designed the way it is.

Weegee aren't showing us the infantry landings, which I have deduced was ongoing during the phase of the operation where we are approaching, fighting the S- boats and eliminating the AA. 

The reason we cannot see the gun forts even though they are shooting at us is because the actual forts were very well camouflaged and often could not even be seen by the men on the beach until withing 15 metres to 50 metres of them.

I suddenly realised this operation is in fact very well designed. Not exactly a historical simulation (it is an arcade game), but portrays the event quite well without all the blood and guts of it.

Maybe I will put more effort into staying alive and completing all the objectives to the best of my admittedly mediocre abilities.

• Like 6

Screenshot(3072).thumb.png.e05df82c15f6c11d302e14e9247d4f54.png

The rewards are kind of bonkers in the latest iteration on the PTS...

6 minutes ago, tocqueville8 said:

Screenshot(3072).thumb.png.e05df82c15f6c11d302e14e9247d4f54.png

The rewards are kind of bonkers in the latest iteration on the PTS...

I noticed that, too.  I'm sure they'll figure out a "proper" amount before it is released.

Experienced my first defeat; team was the very special kind. Well not that I would care about that defeat really. ...

Somehow I ended up being just before the southern beach without having spotted the AA guns.

For clarification, I just popped smoke in the last moment which is depicted on the screenshot; was clearly visible all the way to the beach.

WoWs_unspotted AA guns.png

On 5/29/2024 at 8:08 AM, Tricericon said:

How many of the reward stars did you get for that?

Reward stars are based on how many of the extra tasks you get done (other than the main task...like other Ops there's 5 extras you can get)...

You can have a totally insanely good match & not get any stars if none of the extra tasks get complete or die in the first attack & get all 5 if the team cleans them up.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 10:51 AM, Nevermore135 said:

Ship based is much more powerful & effective (way more damage & area of effect) than airstrikes in any mode...just harder to sneak up on subs than it is to sneak up on a minefield that pops up right in front of you & grows around you.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Like 1