D-Day operations

Justin_Simpleton

CLs with regular Depth Charges work like a charm on Utah. Having lots of fun with Dido, She's a perfect fit for this Op.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

CLs with regular Depth Charges work like a charm on Utah. Having lots of fun with Dido, She's a perfect fit for this Op.

You are playing again young grasshopper?

g6m0rhy.gif

Edited by clammboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, clammboy said:

You are  are playing again young grasshopper?

g6m0rhy.gif

Hahaha... Yes Master Clamm, I just reinstalled. I was keeping my cards close to My chest for a couple of days while I get 'back in shape' but I was spotted on the wild 😁 

I need to scratch 'Play Div with @clammboy' out of My bucket list.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

ha!  

figured u had an alt accout... welcome back

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I'm not getting how this mine field works.  Where are they coming from?  I've been trying to help clear mines for team mates by launching ASW ahead of their path when I'm not in one myself with a BB.  ASW is taking out mines, but once it actually cleared a mine field.  What did I do right?  Is there a memo about this?

The airplanes drop the mines IIRC so if you take out the airfields that means no more minefields 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CFagan_1987 said:

The airplanes drop the mines IIRC so if you take out the airfields that means no more minefields 

Let's see, we need to get past the torpedo boats, navigate the coastal mines, get close enough to destroy the AA guns so the allied aircraft can spot the aerodromes that need to be destroyed.  Next, the shore batteries need to be taken out.  After that, I don't know because I'm dealing with the fact that some of these objectives didn't get accomplished.

• Like 1

I played one game in the Lyon last night had no idea what I was doing . I Just shot at anything that was moving and all the land installations got a win though just don't know how. 

At the moment I am working to much to do my due diligence on this mode. I must say it looks visually good and those torpedo boats are a little scary.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

Let's see, we need to get past the torpedo boats, navigate the coastal mines, get close enough to destroy the AA guns so the allied aircraft can spot the aerodromes that need to be destroyed.  Next, the shore batteries need to be taken out.  After that, I don't know because I'm dealing with the fact that some of these objectives didn't get accomplished.

I don't think very realistic to get the Aerodromes out of action early unless your team is well coordinated, there's so much urgent stuff to do. But there's a good chance to intercept the mine planes before they drop as their drop zone is across the map.  

A well positioned AA ship or two, have a good chance to intercept and kill the mine planes on their way to the drop zones. And it gets done automatically while You deal with other stuff.  

The problem is You need able team mates taking care of the flanks as you'll need to take a more central position to intercept the planes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I played one game in the Lyon last night had no idea what I was doing . I Just shot at anything that was moving and all the land installations got a win though just don't know how. 

At the moment I am working to much to do my due diligence on this mode. I must say it looks visually good and those torpedo boats are a little scary.    

I'll post a walkthrough later when I get some spare time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Alright, am I doing something wrong when the mine fields get placed right on top of me as a cruiser? 'Cause my depth charges don't do jack to get rid of the mine fields when it is the arial versions.

WeeWee the Dd destroyer/sweeper/ A2AD shipp....

WeeWee.png

6 of the kills were E boats....

Smile_smile.gif.054af9b329387282775b9db3

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jakeshuffle said:

Alright, am I doing something wrong when the mine fields get placed right on top of me as a cruiser? 'Cause my depth charges don't do jack to get rid of the mine fields when it is the arial versions.

Had that happening a couple times and it's the worst case scenario. Move out of the área before the mines become active, there's enough time if You act quickly, watch out the minimap to get an idea of the minefield position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I need to scratch 'Play Div with @clammboy' out of My bucket list.

This would be great maybe we get @Wolfswetpaws to. At the moment I am working like crazy but we can figure it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

6 of the kills were E boats....

Secondaries and High Caliber HE splash are very effective against e-boats.   

4 minutes ago, clammboy said:

This would be great maybe we get @Wolfswetpaws to. At the moment I am working like crazy but we can figure it out.

Sure we'll work out something Master Clamm, don't worry. I've also my hands full with RL stuff, just a spare hour a couple nights a week  to play ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's no slack torpedo polisher in this mode.

image.thumb.png.3e446fe84e40271ce8c6e73010f5fb73.png

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I'm really not enjoying this game mode.

First, WG told us they'd give us rentals. Plural. I got one ship, La Galissonière. With the De Grasse I have, that's two ships I can chose from...

Then, maybe it looks good, but I prefer being able to see things. Everything is blended together in a big grey mess. Maybe it's more "realistic", but I certainly don't enjoy this. EDIT: turn down the fog effect in the settings.

Great choice of targets: minefields, which are a chore to clear, planes, which are horrible to fight against (Oh, the rocket planes got your cruiser's side while you were trying to avoid mines? Surprise! 23k HP gone!), static land targets, which can spot and shoot you from stealth (and are uninteresting to shoot at).

Of course there are 20-something DDs and torpedo boats, which would be nicer to fight if I could see what's happening, and if I didn't have to dodge mines that just appeared under my nose.

More of a nitpick, but when opening containers from the D-Day port, it feels like the animation is very sped up, in a quite jarring way. I do find the usual animation for containers too slow, but here it feels almost agressive, like they took the regular one and just sped it up. Oh, and of course the port itself is... very grey.

I'll pass.

Edited by Viridem
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Viridem said:

WG told us they'd give us rentals. Plural. I got one ship, La Galissonière

I bet the Plural refers to different ships for the different D-Day Ops, iirc there'll be 3 Ops thus 3 ships... plural. 

15 minutes ago, Viridem said:

With the De Grasse I have, that's two ships I can chose from...

Really? how do you have so few?  They give free mid tier ships everywhere, I must have about 15-20 as a FTP, without buying a single one.

2 hours ago, clammboy said:

2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

I'll post a walkthrough later when I get some spare time.

Here it is master Clamm: 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

I bet the Plural refers to different ships for the different D-Day Ops, iirc there'll be 3 Ops thus 3 ships... plural. 

Really? how do you have so few?  They give free mid tier ships everywhere, I must have about 15-20 as a FTP, without buying a single one.

I only play Japanese ships on this account, no exceptions.

I found an old account I thought lost a few months ago, and where I played a couple lines up to tier 3 or 4, years ago. I tried D-Day with this account. I got the De Grasse in a SC at the time.

Of course, if I were to play with my main account, this wouldn't be an issue. I have reached the 350 ships count with West Virginia the other day...

But yes, you are right, I checked the article for the event, it seems it's one rental per stage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Viridem said:

Then, maybe it looks good, but I prefer being able to see things. Everything is blended together in a big grey mess. Maybe it's more "realistic", but I certainly don't enjoy this.

I'm guessing that's the fog/haze? If it is, does turning that down/using the anti fog/haze mods help with it?

HI all,

When you get 1800 BaseXP with 6-7-8-9 kills and you see some of your "teammates" with 0 (ZERO) kills and 300 BaseXP you start to wonder about many things in WoWs and humanity in general...

Leo "Apllo11"

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Fun camo in DDay operation: adds a bit of color!  It's the Blazing Tropics camo for Atlanta.

BlazingTropics.png

Unfortunately, it (and the B version) reverts to stock when the scenario actually starts.... (just learned that)  🙂

Edited by Arcus_Aesopi
learned stuffs...
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

HI all,

When you get 1800 BaseXP with 6-7-8-9 kills and you see some of your "teammates" with 0 (ZERO) kills and 300 BaseXP you start to wonder about many things in WoWs and humanity in general...

Leo "Apllo11"

Remember that you get sh*t for score if you do the shore battery objectives...  Another case of WG setting an objective and then undercutting it in the rewards coding.  You better hope someone is doing those objectives 🙂 

Fair winds and following seas!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I'm not getting how this mine field works.  Where are they coming from?  I've been trying to help clear mines for team mates by launching ASW ahead of their path when I'm not in one myself with a BB.  ASW is taking out mines, but once it actually cleared a mine field.  What did I do right?  Is there a memo about this?

The Airstrip is where the minefield is coming from.

Have a BB dedicated to destroy the airstrip inland. Then, have a cruiser with dept charges destroy the ones' already in the water..
That will clear the path to saving 2 stars.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

I'm guessing that's the fog/haze? If it is, does turning that down/using the anti fog/haze mods help with it?

It worked! I turned it down to 0, and now it looks even uglier, but at least I can see! 🙂

• Haha 1