D-Day operations

Justin_Simpleton

I'm going to play this game mode and see if I can complete the last mission chain in the Dock Yard. Off to a good start with my first game.

image.thumb.png.9062b5d4dc661c30056e4c716cec9723.png

• Like 4

How many of the reward stars did you get for that?

18 minutes ago, Tricericon said:

How many of the reward stars did you get for that?

Two.  Eliminated AA defense and shore batteries.

• Like 1

Quick and stupid question: Do these D-day operations replace the normal ops or are they available in addition to them?

It's not as hard as some have made it out to be but I've yet to get more than 3 stars in a single round. Most are 1 or 2 stars. I'm hoping things get better as people become more familiar with the scenario. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kruzenstern said:

Quick and stupid question: Do these D-day operations replace the normal ops or are they available in addition to them?

In addition to the random Op ... it's a separate mode 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, CFagan_1987 said:

In addition to the random Op ... it's a separate mode 

Thank god, if they had replaced the normal OPs for the duration of the event, that would have been really bad for me, since i need them to grind for the Dockyard.

1 minute ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

Thank god, if they had replaced the normal OPs for the duration of the event, that would have been really bad for me, since i need them to grind for the Dockyard.

Actually the DDay mode might be better for that as all progress is counted vs half progress for normal Ops. I was able to finish the 20 kills missoon and about 3/4 of the way on the 3,000 ribbons mission in just 4 DDay battles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CFagan_1987 said:

Actually the DDay mode might be better for that as all progress is counted vs half progress for normal Ops. I was able to finish the 20 kills missoon and about 3/4 of the way on the 3,000 ribbons mission in just 4 DDay battles.

Great news, thought results would be halfed like with the other OPs, thank you for letting me know. I will give the D-Day Ops another try then, even though i wasn't a fan of them on the PTS.

Edited by UnrepentantSinner
  • Like 1

Would be someone kind and share some winning replays?

3FA2776D-8A8D-41C2-B76A-50D3530DBACA.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrewbassg said:

Would be someone kind and share some winning replays?

Here is one of the battles with Nelson.

20240529_162724_PBSB517-Nelson_s11_D_day.wowsreplay

With the Nelson, use HE on the AA defenses and AP on the aerodrome and shore batteries.  Prioritize the aerodrome over the shore battery because it is not always detected

• Thanks 1

minesweeper eendracht reporting for duty

shot-24_05.29_21_20.17-0254.thumb.jpg.3b8ca0596b65434322756199fb54653c.jpg

shot-24_05.29_21.20_05-0147.thumb.jpg.b27a737f3f253fa9cb717ec4d5e94f03.jpg

• Like 2

My first try, used Helena. It was savage!

5.29.24.png

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

Here is one of the battles with Nelson.

20240529_162724_PBSB517-Nelson_s11_D_day.wowsreplay 2.66 MB · 1 download

With the Nelson, use HE on the AA defenses and AP on the aerodrome and shore batteries.  Prioritize the aerodrome over the shore battery because it is not always detected

For me I could never seem to get battleship grade AP to do anything other than tiny overpens to the batteries and stuck to HE on them. Now when I was using the Huron on the other hand the AP seemed to work way better.

Huron replay, you can watch me miss shots a bunch.20240529_164151_PUSD517-Huron_s11_D_day.wowsreplay

shot-24_05.29_16_58.01-0978.thumb.jpg.610da8bb31509bfa7fa781636f62b3b6.jpgshot-24_05.29_16_58.06-0177.thumb.jpg.88e7422f4785cc77ec8f3d4ac77b1dd0.jpg

Edited by Darlith

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CFagan_1987 said:

It's not as hard as some have made it out to be but I've yet to get more than 3 stars in a single round. Most are 1 or 2 stars. I'm hoping things get better as people become more familiar with the scenario. 

not common but doable, fourth try

shot-24_05.29_22_35.18-0367.thumb.jpg.f2ada7fc06af02ba1b2968f14b26cf1b.jpg

the problem of this operation is you need teamplay yet only killing boats give any real reward so everyone is farming them and as a result the other objectives are ignored. Is almost comical how i went full minesweeper to protect transports and only got 1k base exp with 3 stars yet when i went full boat farming i ended with over 1600 base exp also with 3 stars.🙄

shot-24_05.29_23.23_05-0995.thumb.jpg.97ad07a9b07091d4e3d68bfb2755d845.jpg

shot-24_05.29_23_22.51-0429.thumb.jpg.df78cb9c0fe948727161af83c6740ccd.jpg

Edited by pepe_trueno
  • Like 2

You have to run IFHE on secondaries to pen the german destroyers.

Got a 5 star run, took about 10 randoms for someone with a brain to show up and help make it happen.

The ships have very little hp, so it's not good for grinding dockyard.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CFagan_1987 said:

It depends on the mission. Kills and ribbons are absolutely going to be faster in D-Day than normal ops because of the 50% progress for ops, especially if you use a fast firing cruiser or destroyer. I got both in a handful of Atlanta runs. Base xp and credits so far feel about the same as ops, maybe a bit more or less depending on how many stars you get. 

It definitely isn't going to be the way to go for the damage missions, though. At least for the current scenario, there just isn't enough enemy health available to make much progress. All the shore installations don't count (apparently minus a bit of time when it first went live where it did), and everything else is destroyers with small health pools or Schnellboots with even less. You can get some high(er) damage games if you focus the destroyers and Schnellboots over shooting the shore installations or clearing mines, but a decent ops run would probably get you more damage progress even with the 50% reduction.

10 hours ago, CFagan_1987 said:

Having a team of players that knows what they're doing is definitely key.

When I started playing this afternoon with random teams, I only had one 5 star game and the rest were mostly 1-2. Once I started playing in a division with 3-4 others who knew the op, most of our games were 4 and 5 stars. We still lost the occasional star or two, but I think we only had one game that wasn't at least 3 stars. Most of the lost stars were from the last coastal gun or destroyer going dark and not being able to kill it after losing a couple allies, or someone being out of position and not able to outrun the transports to clear minefields before they drove full speed into them. 

Posted (edited)

Here was our priorities for this operation...

• Rapid fire ships
    • These guys hunt down subs/DDs and clear the mine field and all times.
  • Any gun over 175mm
    • Shore guns and AA
  • BBs
    • Shore guns, AA AND most important for the finally. The Airstrip MUST be taken out.

No matter what ship you take out... As long, you follow these simple delegation of duties explained above..

You'll pass it with all the stars AND have fun doing so..

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Like 2

After playing a couple of matches my conclusions are:

1. The team needs to split up. That's crucial.

2. Short reload, highly manoeuvrable ships are desirable.

3. Bb's need to keep a bit of distance and need to prioritise shore targets. Only when the dd;s are coming they need to get close. 

4. Teamwork is essential, as is understanding one's ship strengths and play accordingly.

For successful completion I mean.

• Like 1

Took surrey and it seemed pretty easy. Once I understood what happens, I could almost solo a flank by myself.

I'm guessing they hard nerfed the mode because people were complaining so much.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

It depends on the mission. Kills and ribbons are absolutely going to be faster in D-Day than normal ops because of the 50% progress for ops, especially if you use a fast firing cruiser or destroyer. I got both in a handful of Atlanta runs. Base xp and credits so far feel about the same as ops, maybe a bit more or less depending on how many stars you get. 

It definitely isn't going to be the way to go for the damage missions, though. At least for the current scenario, there just isn't enough enemy health available to make much progress. All the shore installations don't count (apparently minus a bit of time when it first went live where it did), and everything else is destroyers with small health pools or Schnellboots with even less. You can get some high(er) damage games if you focus the destroyers and Schnellboots over shooting the shore installations or clearing mines, but a decent ops run would probably get you more damage progress even with the 50% reduction.

Some good news... D Day event doesn't have the orange nerf ball on its icon in the dockyard missions, so we get full credit, unlike ops.  I don't find it great for grinding damage like @MidnightPhoenix07 suggests since the shore stuff doesn't count toward the damage total.   It's great for BXP and Credits missions!

Good luck to all!

• Like 2

I'm not getting how this mine field works.  Where are they coming from?  I've been trying to help clear mines for team mates by launching ASW ahead of their path when I'm not in one myself with a BB.  ASW is taking out mines, but once it actually cleared a mine field.  What did I do right?  Is there a memo about this?

Certain percentage of mines destroyed, will clear the entire field. Someone will recall or point us to the exact number. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I'm not getting how this mine field works.  Where are they coming from? 

There are initial minefields all along the coast line, on the minimap they are marked as red circules. Once You destroy enough mines on a minefield, it disappears completely.  

There are planes coming from the Aerodrome that plant new minefields (those with the Star icon). So a zone You already cleared might have mines again by the time the LSTs arrive

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1