If Our Captains Could Talk... again.

Ensign Cthulhu

[Narrator]  The scene is, once again, the Alpha of the Port's office.

[Marine Houshou (the 2nd.)]  ::: knocks on the open doorway and says :::  "Ahoy!"

[Wolfswetpaws]  Enter.

[Houshou]  ::: strides into the office :::  I'm here to announce that tonight's Sail-In Movie will be "Superman", starring Christopher Reeve.  The Entertainment Committe decided to go with the same choice that the LST-393 is showing in Muskegon, Michigan.

[Wolfswetpaws]  Nice choice.  It's a classic.

[Houshou]  The Langley is setting-up their flight-deck and testing their radio simulcast equipment as we speak.

[Adjutant Shirakami]  Excellent work, Chair.

[Houshou]  Thank youuuu.

[Nachi]  I could use a distraction, for a night.  I'll attend, too.

[Houshou]  Speaking of distractions, that new Bluto introduced himself to me the other day.  

[Shirakami]  Ohh?

[Houshou]  I think he needs an eye exam, though.

[Wolfswetpaws]  Okay, I'll bite.  What makes you say that?

[Houshou]  He thought I was someone named Olive Oil and that I had dyed my hair red!  Uhhhggggghh!

[Shirakami]  I'll schedule him for a full medical evaluation.

[Wolfswetpaws]  There have been some anomalies reported in some places, today.  The Nelson's camouflage, for instance, has been recalled to fix a bug.  Hopefully this is unrelated and a less severe case.

[Houshou]  I just hope the lines of communication with my pen-pal Gura remain open.

[Shirakami]  I miss her, too.

[Wolfswetpaws]  All right, all right.  It's getting late and if we keep this social chit-chat going then we'll miss the movie.  I say we adjourn for the day.  
Nachi, report here again, tomorrow.  We'll continue our discussion, then.

[Nachi]  [Shirakami]  [Houshou]  ::: simultaneously :::  *Haaiiiii*.

[Wolfswetpaws]  Dismissed.  Go have fun.

[Narrator]  The scene fades as the ladies skip out of the office with giggles and snippets of "girl talk".

Edited to add:  https://virtualyoutuber.fandom.com/wiki/Gawr_Gura

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

THE SCENE: The Brig, R'lyeh Main Base

DRAMATIS PERSONAE:

Frederica Greenhill, Adjutant of the Port; image.png.0f06cdd800aa4463320eb7ba325b4542.png

Catherine Ironfist, Chief of Base Security

and O/C KM FRIEDRICH DER GROSSE; image.png.82faffb1ddd2384661823efde66c82a5.png

Kapitein Ter Zee Sinterklass, O/C HNLMS KIJKDUIN; image.png.bb68834185f1ef11254cd54bf382c1b4.png

a man known only as "Bad Santa" image.png.d3a2d5637a69e8bc8b0d77469f230c10.png

FG: Alright, Catherine, what have you done now?

CI: Ve caught this man trying to board small ship in US port. Very drunk, abusive, smells of bad American alcohol. He claims to be man in red suit from North Pole. I bring real thing from Dutch port to confirm.

FG: Kapitein, is this man one of you?

SK: He is and he is not. He is a vile creature, a deliberate impersonator, yet one who developed a heart of gold. I cannot understand why he is here; perhaps some sort of misguided recruiting effort on your part?

FG: I'll check our records. In the meantime, give this man a shower and a uniform and try to keep him off the booze. If he starts getting the DT's, call Amy to fill him with Valium and stop him from hurting himself. Oh, and... don't let him go to sea unsupervised.

CI: Certainly not.

TO BE CONTINUED.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

a man known only as "Bad Santa" image.png.d3a2d5637a69e8bc8b0d77469f230c10.png

I only wish the voiceover was Billy Bob Thornton.

Bad_Santa_film.jpg.d5d3cefbf9e09d4cb151c7db67279afa.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HogHammer said:

I only wish the voiceover was Billy Bob Thornton.

There are some people who will always remain beyond WG's price tag, and they do need to watch their pennies right now. 

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

and they do need to watch their pennies right now. 

Any particular reason?

2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Any particular reason?

They're still two companies essentially forced to duplicate work better done by one. But I can't say any more because politics. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

They're still two companies essentially forced to duplicate work better done by one. But I can't say any more because politics. 

Essentially an observation based upon "general principles" of business, then?
Nothing that is in a news article which could be quoted and sourced.  
Thanks.

1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Essentially an observation based upon "general principles" of business, then?

Yes.

• Like 1

Personnel File update      July 14th., 2024  10:20 Hours     
Commander Robert Jaujard (6 skill points) transferred from the Reserve Barracks and assigned to the newly arrived Tier-5 French Destroyer, namely "L'Adroit".

Signed,
Gunzo Chihaya
Administrator of Personnel Department

From:  Contrammiraglio Luigi Sansonneti aboard the good ship Napoli

To:  Perimeter Patrol Command
CC:  Adjutant of the Port, Fubuki Shirakami (the 1st.)

Subject:  Rescue at sea "... in July".

While returning from a sortie in a Co-op zone, the Napoli's lookouts sighted a drifting lifeboat.
Subsequent investigation discovered the lifeboat had one soul on-board and that they were both in distress (the lifeboat was taking-on water and the soul on-board was inebriated and dehydrated).
Both the lifeboat and the soul were rescued and taken aboard the Napoli.

We could discern no markings on the lifeboat to indicate a port of origin or a mothership which could have launched the lifeboat.
The soul was able to answer a few questions before becoming unconscious in our sick-bay.
They claimed their name is "Bad Santa" and produced documents which (although somewhat damaged by exposure to the elements) indicate they were somehow recruited in Shipbuilder's City and directed to report to our Fleet for permanent employment.

The 'safe passage' code contained within the documents is <xxx redacted xxx>.

The Napoli has resumed her journey home.  ETA is <xxx redacted xxx>.

In service of the Port!

Luigi Sansonneti
Captain of the Napoli

P.S.  The lifeboat contained a crate, inside of which were cans of paint and instructions for a "Summer" camouflage scheme.

• Like 1

Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

From:  Contrammiraglio Luigi Sansonneti aboard the good ship Napoli

CC:  Adjutant of the Port, Fubuki Shirakami (the 1st.)

Subject:  Rescue at sea "... in July".

While returning from a sortie in a Co-op zone, the Napoli's lookouts sighted a drifting lifeboat.
Subsequent investigation discovered the lifeboat had one soul on-board and that they were both in distress (the lifeboat was taking-on water and the soul on-board was inebriated and dehydrated).
Both the lifeboat and the soul were rescued and taken aboard the Napoli.

We could discern no markings on the lifeboat to indicate a port of origin or a mothership which could have launched the lifeboat.
The soul was able to answer a few questions before becoming unconscious in our sick-bay.
They claimed their name is "Bad Santa" and produced documents which (although somewhat damaged by exposure to the elements) indicate they were somehow recruited in Shipbuilder's City and directed to report to our Fleet for permanent employment.

The 'safe passage' code contained within the documents is <xxx redacted xxx>.

The Napoli has resumed her journey home.  ETA is <xxx redacted xxx>.

In service of the Port!

Luigi Sansonneti
Captain of the Napoli

P.S.  The lifeboat contained a crate, inside of which were cans of paint and instructions for a "Summer" camouflage scheme.

From:  Perimeter Patrol Command, Capitán de Fragata Martina Verano, Officer of the Day

To:  Contrammiraglio Luigi Sansonneti aboard the good ship Napoli

In reply to:  Rescue at sea "... in July".

Good work, Napoli.

The 'safe passage' code "checks out".  

Please bring our newest recruit in safely, "In service of the Port!"

Signed,
Capitán de Fragata Martina Verano
O.O.D.  Perimeter Patrol Command

• Like 1

Subject:  Sighting report (friendly)

July 17, 2024  19:45 Hours

Sighted ships ARP Haruna, ARP Hiei, ARP Kirishima and ARP Kongō, entering perimeter line.

Challenged each and received the appropriate pass-code of the day.
Also was informed they were returning from sorties in the Co-op zone.

Observed them sailing in line abreast formation, for a while.
On voice-comms, they seemed to be in a good mood. 
Also, their hulls appeared to be "waggling" with cheeky attitude.

"In service of the Port!"

Signed,
Ashley Violet
Captain of the Hill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note.  My four ARP Kongo class ships each emerged victorious from their battles, to kick-off my effort to fulfill the Arpeggio of Blue Steel collaboration missions.

Partial inspiration was drawn from two Battlestar Galactica episodes, featuring the word "waggling" and the phrase "flying with some serious attitude".

https://en.battlestarwiki.org/The_Hand_of_God_(TOS)
https://en.battlestarwiki.org/You_Can't_Go_Home_Again

[Narrator]  The scene is the office of the Harbormaster.  Kapitänleutnant Feuerputz , also known as the Harbormaster of the Port, is observing four more ships returning from their sorties into the Co-op zone.

[Feuerputz]  Ja.  Ja.  Gut.  Gut.  Ashigara and Haguro are jauntily sailing towards their berths and making happy noises with their horns.

[Feuerputz]  Ah.  Myōkō.  Maneuvering precisely, as a seasoned professional.  

[Feuerputz]  And last into the harbor is Nachi.  Hmmm.
No horns blowing.  No festive shifts of her rudder.
[Feuerputz]  ::: looks through his binoculars :::  Fresh nanomaterial along her side.  Expedient patching over multiple torpedo hits, from what I can see.
Hmmm.  Calmly awaiting her assigned tug-boats.

[Feuerputz]  ::: lowering his binoculars :::  Is she preoccupied with something, I wonder?

On 7/12/2024 at 9:05 AM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

TO: Cmdr Nachi, in the Service of "The Port"

RE: Recent events.

In light of recent occurrences, Fleet Command would like to extend to you the offer of a small compensation. Should you desire to reacquaint yourself with Fleet Admiral Kelly, please present yourself to the Guardship at the entrance of any of our bases, where you will be issued with a five-day visitor visa and a coupon of like duration for our Officers' Quarters hotel ashore, all lodgings, meals and drinks included. 

Should you wish to extend your stay, please apply in a timely manner to the Adjutant of the Port, R'lyeh Main Base. This may be done by telegram or telephone should sea conditions make the reliability of the mail uncertain.

We would also be pleased to host your crew in any of the fine drinking and entertainment establishments in our ports; but in this case, lodgings for any overnight stays ashore are the responsibility of individual crewmembers and with their captain's permission.

MSG ENDS.

From:   Kaigun Chūjo ARP Nachi, Citizen of The Port & Captain of the ARP Nachi in the Fleet of the Port

To:  Diplomatic-level contact @Ensign Cthulhu, scion of the elder being Cthulu in the realm of R'lyeh.
CC:  Alpha of the Port, @Wolfswetpaws
CC:  Adjutant of the Port, Fubuki Shirakami (the 1st.)

In reply to:  "... extend to you the offer of ..."

Greetings to the friend & diplomatic colleage of the Alpha known as @Ensign Cthulhu,

I remember what happened to personnel in the realm of R'lyeh on the 26th. of December in 2022.

Thus, acting on my own initiative, my reply to your invitation is:  "Nuts!".

With sincerity,
ARP Nachi

------------------------------------------------------------------
https://taskandpurpose.com/history/us-army-nuts-bastogne-surrender/

Spoiler

Posted December 26, 2022                                  Report post #894 

TO: Fleet Command, R'lyeh

RE: Commander Reserve

The reserve is over-full, with too many generic low-rank useless mouths taking up space.
I hunger. Feed me souls.

Posted December 26, 2022                                              Report post #899 

TO: Wolfswetpaws, Alpha of The Port

RE: "Refugees"

The excess personnel issue no longer exists.
I am sated. I sleep now.

Excerpted from my personal archives of the old WOWs forum topic "If our commanders could talk ..."

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I remember what happened to personnel in the realm of R'lyeh on the 26th. of December in 2022.

TO: ARP Nachi

RE: "Nuts"

Please refresh our memories regarding what you claim happened on this day. (For us, it may have been Tuesday.)

MSG ENDS.

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

From:   Kaigun Chūjo ARP Nachi, Citizen of The Port & Captain of the ARP Nachi in the Fleet of the Port

To:  Diplomatic-level contact @Ensign Cthulhu, scion of the elder being Cthulu in the realm of R'lyeh.
CC:  Alpha of the Port, @Wolfswetpaws
CC:  Adjutant of the Port, Fubuki Shirakami (the 1st.)

In reply to:  "... extend to you the offer of ..."

Greetings to the friend & diplomatic colleage of the Alpha known as @Ensign Cthulhu,

With sincerity,
ARP Nachi

------------------------------------------------------------------
https://taskandpurpose.com/history/us-army-nuts-bastogne-surrender/

Reveal hidden contents

Excerpted from my personal archives of the old WOWs forum topic "If our commanders could talk ..."

23 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

TO: ARP Nachi

RE: "Nuts"

Please refresh our memories regarding what you claim happened on this day. (For us, it may have been Tuesday.)

MSG ENDS.

Ahoy, @Ensign Cthulhu.
I'm "breaking the fourth wall" here, by pointing out that the "reveal hidden contents" contains the answer(s) to your Adjutant Frederica Greenhill's question.
Your friend and writing companion,
 @Wolfswetpaws

Edited to add:  December 26th., 2022 was a Monday, by the way.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

16 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

the "reveal hidden contents" contains the answer(s) to your Adjutant Frederica Greenhill's question.

TO: Cmdr ARP Nachi

RE: "It was Tuesday"

By your Alpha's own admission, not a few of your own colleagues have been fed into the Woodchipper of Souls to advance the ambitions of others.

3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Purchasing a 6-point Commander for 900,000 credits, and then dismissing them and recovering some CXP in exchange for more credits is an expensive process.
But, I've done it, in the past. 
I wanted to level-up some commanders (for *reasons*) and I had the credits to spare.

Perhaps even your own ambitions. Can you point to your own hands and say for sure that they are clean?

Given the nature of my employer, a disappearance here and there for the sake of the Fleet as a whole is regarded as an occupational hazard. But we do not treat honoured and invited guests in this fashion. 

MSG ENDS.

• Bored 1

8 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

TO: Cmdr ARP Nachi

RE: "It was Tuesday"

By your Alpha's own admission, not a few of your own colleagues have been fed into the Woodchipper of Souls to advance the ambitions of others.

Perhaps even your own ambitions. Can you point to your own hands and say for sure that they are clean?

Given the nature of my employer, a disappearance here and there for the sake of the Fleet as a whole is regarded as an occupational hazard. But we do not treat honoured and invited guests in this fashion. 

MSG ENDS.

To:  @Ensign Cthulhu
CC:  Adjutant of the Port of R'yleh

Re:  "... woodchipper of souls ..."  You're mistaken on an important facet of the situation. 

Dear Colleague @Ensign Cthulhu, and to your Adjutant Frederica Greenhill,

Dismissed personnel from the Port are sent back to Shipbuilder's City for re-assignment by the employment agencies therein.
Thus, no souls were "woodchipped" by moi.

On the contrary, they are provided the opportunity to further their careers in other fleets.

Sincerely,
Wolfswetpaws

P.S.  Our "Seven/Eleven" store is better than yours.  😉 

[Gunzo Chihaya]  ::: offering a sheet of paper :::  Here is the answer to your personnel query, Alpha.

[Wolfswetpaws]  ::: accepting the paper :::  Thank you.  Carry on.

[Gunzo Chihaya]  Aye, aye.  ::: walks out of the Alpha's office and back to his own office in the Personnel Department :::

----------------------------------------------------------------

ARP Kirishima (the 1st.) = Captain of the ARP Kirishima (Kongo class BB)
ARP Kirishima (the 2nd.) = Captain of the Yoshino

ARP Yotaroh (the 1st.) = Captain of the Kii
ARP Yotaroh (the 2nd.) = 10 skill points, in Reserve Barracks

-------------------------------------------------------------------

[Wolfswetpaws]  ::: Attires himself in a business-suit & fedora, then retrieves a lightweight trenchcoat and a briefcase :::

Posted (edited)

THE SCENE: Office of Frederica Greenhill, Adjutant of the Port.

THE PLAYERS: Frederica Greenhill herself (FG) image.png.52e15d561ef4cef275a7195d084ec0f2.png

Fleet Admiral Dasha Perova, CinC Dutch Contingent (DP). image.png.a931b16271564f0b96088830b69d8630.png

FG: Good afternoon, Admiral Perova; take a seat. What can I do for you today? You've got quite a lot of paperwork there, I see.

DP: I wish to put Cruiser Haarlem back into research process; here are the forms.

FG (accepting the papers, looking them over): I noticed you'd been taking her out for a spin recently. Hmm, let's see... yes, everything looks in order. May I ask why? I seem to recall hearing you swear up and down that you never wanted to sail that ship again. You used words I had a lot of trouble finding in respectable dictionaries, and when I finally found them... oh my. [She blushes.]

DP: You may blame test environment for this; how you say, Pee-Tee-Ess? Yes, I let Captain Janssen loose in there and he took out the Johann de Witt. He said he wanted to... how did he put it?, to "see how much she really sucks" was1 his words. And he found that it did not. So now I grind. Again. Perhaps I should not have accepted Fleet Admiral rank so early? But I know it was best for entire fleet. Ah well, Klaas will have to take over once my job in Haarlem is done. He has special skill for these ships;2 perhaps best he does the work from here.

FG: Very well, then. Request approved. [Stamps papers.] But... ah, I have to warn you; the Anniversary celebrations aren't far off, and you'll have to suspend progress at that point. Snowflakes and all that.

DP: Ah yes, of course. That will not be problem; grind will be slow. One battle a day; perhaps you can sneak it in?

FG (thoughtfully stroking chin): I'll see what I can do, but I make no promises. I don't have a problem with it, but Fleet Command might. Just be ready for them to tell you no when the time comes.

DP: [Smiling] Like Admiral Nelson with telescope.

FG: Yes, I... [Sudden realization, horrified expression.] NO, WAIT, NOT LIKE THAT! He'll turn you into sashimi if he finds out! 

DP (laughing): You get permission. He likes you; he will agree. In meantime, I will continue to make progress. Stop me if you think I am in danger from tentacle overlord; otherwise I keep going. Thank you and good day.

TO BE CONTINUED.

1. The improper use of the plural here is deliberate, to indicate the character's imperfect command of English.

2. image.thumb.png.22058412949fde61ee386683f1ff6585.png

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
Formatting
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

DP: [Smiling] Like Admiral Nelson with telescope.

Reminds me of the phrase, "Enquiring minds want to know."  😄 

7 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I didn't know about that.  Thanks.  🙂 
Very different than what I was imagining.  😄 

"Well hello there, young lady. Would you like to come back to my cabin and see my... telescope? It extends quite a long way out."