Wargaming has changed the last mission of Dockyard Week 8 from "Earn One Achievement" to "Sink 5 Ships in 1 Game"

Tricericon

Posted (edited)

Which is 1-to-1 with the Kraken achievement, although it's phrased as above. For the information of those planning their grinds...

image.thumb.png.d2dbe39bab53674229c600e0ad3df119.png

Edited by Tricericon
added screenshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Seems like WG pulled another fast one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

Seems like WG pulled another fast one.

Hmmm.
While it is "different", it also allows players to "sink five ships in one game" to perform that feat in game modes that aren't random battles?
Whoops.
I took a second look a the picture @Tricericon provided.  Only random and ranked battles qualify.
Yeah, that's not much of an improvement in one's options.  😄 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

It’s likely for testers. Test ships don’t earn achievements so they wouldn’t be able to complete that mission in its original form. 

Edit: for some reason, I thought the mission at one point was “get a kraken” which is why I said it was probably changed for testers. The original guide from SAT is just an achievement, but I thought I recalled seeing kraken unleashed on that last stage at some point when I looked at the requirements. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Like 1

Testers can play a game in a non-test ship. 

I wasn't too worried about this last week, since the "60k BXP" task can be completed in CB's, and that's 24 winning CB's over 2 weeks, or (at a 50% win rate) playing 6 CB's a night (and no other activity). If you are doing your battle pass "minimum" then you are doing 1,500 BXP/day, and a couple of the (weekly) missions are 25k BXP so if you knock those off it's not a lot "grindier" to finish the 60k. The rest are all basically damage missions, so pick your favorite two classes.

Well, I guess WG is expressing which exact “one achievement” they wanted us to get.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Oh thank goodness, I thought it was one of the stage reward specific missions!

I am altering the deal...

;)

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I am altering the deal...

;)

Pray I Don't Alter It Any Further. :classic_wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Yeah one Achievement of any type in one battle was far too easy (especially considering the prior two of 215k and 2500bxp in one battle) but seeing it is not required to complete that for the dockyard, just farm FR DDs and Jinan/Brisbane in co-op for the damage, then randoms/ops to finish the 60k bxp. At least you have two weeks to complete this one.

• Like 1

WG, you always have time to think of us... something tells me I'm going to need to hold on to this pic.

image.jpeg.f3d65ed01eefcc6c7039d7acf7d356a6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Does anyone have a screenshot of all the missions for next week? I'll try make a plan for people to follow so we can all get them done easy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Does anyone have a screenshot of all the missions for next week? I'll try make a plan for people to follow so we can all get them done easy.

Not a screenshot of the missions in game, but:

60k base xp

18 million credits

3k ribbons

20 kills

3 million damage (CV)

3 million damage (BB)

2.4 million damage (CA)

1.9 million (DD)

1.3 million (subs)

Kraken/5 kills

• Like 1

Just now, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

60k base xp

18 million credits

3k ribbons

20 kills

3 million damage (CV)

3 million damage (BB)

2.4 million damage (CA)

1.9 million (DD)

1.3 million (subs)

Kraken/5 kills

Oh this is, not as bad as I thought?

These will all be done in the background:

60k bxp, 18 mill credits, 3k ribbons, 20 kills

And whatever class you're most comfortable playing, for me it'll be cruisers and battleships.

3 million damage

2.4 million damage

These missions are much easier than I thought. If you're a DD player as well you have much less damage to get so I believe we can get all of them done!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

60k base xp

18 million credits

3k ribbons

20 kills

3 million damage (CV)

3 million damage (BB)

2.4 million damage (CA)

1.9 million (DD)

1.3 million (subs)

Kraken/5 kills

The bolded ones are the ones with tokens attached.

13 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

The plan: divide all tasks by 14 and attack a nightly quota in the token missions and the non-token tasks you find easiest. 

If you already have WV44, you will not need to do the BXP task - but even that is only 4300 base XP a night, less than what we used to be asked to do for daily chains.

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Oh this is, not as bad as I thought?

The last week generally isn’t. The week before (or sometimes two weeks before) are the real painful ones where you don’t want to be stuck. The last one is generally just background grind tasks from playing the game normally, with things like economics and damage.

It’s still going to require regular play during the entire two weeks, but it’s better than some of the previous weeks that required MM and/or players to cooperate (plane kills needing an enemy CV to attack you, MM giving you a run of standard and arms race when you want caps, etc). 

• Like 1

The 5 kill mission is relatively straightforward for those able to play during off hours: drop into T5 randoms with your OP ship of choice and farm the bots that pad the matchmaker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Looking at screenshots and videos from before today’s change, the mission didn’t actually say “earn 1 achievement,” it said “earn 1 achievement:”.

The colon is important here. Just like the ranked permacamo missions, where it indicates the specific achievement (in the case of the ranked missions, “earn 1 achievement: Jolly Roger: League.” And then you can mouse over the achievement in the mission and see the requirements for it.

My guess is someone forgot to add (or maybe just messed up) the code for the kraken achievement to display when creating the dockyard mission. 

Is it disappointing? Sure (but it is an expected mission based on previous dockyards). Did some people buy starter packs thinking it actually was just “get (any) one achievement”? Probably. Should it have been caught before the missions went live, or sometime between then and now? Absolutely.  Could WG have been less seemingly scummy when fixing it? Of course.

But the mission is what it is (and isn’t even a required mission to finish the dockyard anyway). It’s better they fixed it now than having the stage start with a bugged mission, especially since it possibly could have been bugged to the point that no achievement counted for it, if the linked achievement in the text and the required achievement in the code itself aren’t different and the game expects a non-existent achievement. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Looking at screenshots and videos from before today’s change, the mission didn’t actually say “earn 1 achievement,” it said “earn 1 achievement:”.

The colon is important here. Just like the ranked permacamo missions, where it indicates the specific achievement (in the case of the ranked missions, “earn 1 achievement: Jolly Roger: League.” And then you can mouse over the achievement in the mission and see the requirements for it.

My guess is someone forgot to add (or maybe just messed up) the code for the kraken achievement to display when creating the dockyard mission. 

Is it disappointing? Sure (but it is an expected mission based on previous dockyards). Did some people buy starter packs thinking it actually was just “get (any) one achievement”? Probably. Should it have been caught before the missions went live, or sometime between then and now? Absolutely.  Could WG have been less seemingly scummy when fixing it? Of course.

But the mission is what it is (and isn’t even a required mission to finish the dockyard anyway). It’s better they fixed it now than having the stage start with a bugged mission, especially since it possibly could have been bugged to the point that no achievement counted for it, if the linked achievement in the text and the required achievement in the code itself aren’t different and the game expects a non-existent achievement. 

It was clearly a screw-up and not an intentional bait-and-switch. However, it's not a good look for Wargaming in the following ways:

- The missing text shouldn't have passed Q&A.

- After having been released, it should have been caught much, much sooner. Both Devstrike and Reddit were having open conversations about the easy final mission; just casually perusing either major English language forum should have identified the issue almost immediately. I assume the Discord was similar but did not monitor it. It took, by my count, 47 days for the correction to be issued, and I'm assuming that's what it took to catch it since an announcement could have been made in hours.

- Especially since it actually doesn't affect the difficulty of the final set of missions much (any two class missions, say 3m BB dmg + 1.9m DD dmg, can probably both be done on 60k BXP), they should have modified the task to match the erroneous text, rather than correcting the erroneous text. It would cost little in people buying out the 1-2 stages who wouldn't otherwise, and generate a fair amount of goodwill.

- As usual, better communication would have helped. They should have announced the fix before people found it in the client, and if they had released a mission list outside of the client the players would have identified and reported the discrepancy inside a day, saving us this whole mess.

Source: I work in a better organized software shop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is it possible that the original was an accidental holdover from the PTS that WG managed to overlook and swapped it out for the intended one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zaydin said:

Is it possible that the original was an accidental holdover from the PTS that WG managed to overlook and swapped it out for the intended one?

Still, it leaves a bad taste, especially for us .... more challenged players who can't always pull a Kraken out of our sleeves on demand. Unless... we set the alarm for the wee hours and play through the Middle Watch taking @torino2dc's suggestion.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

60k base xp

18 million credits

3k ribbons

20 kills

3 million damage (CV)

3 million damage (BB)

2.4 million damage (CA)

1.9 million (DD)

1.3 million (subs)

Kraken/5 kills

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tricericon said:

It was clearly a screw-up and not an intentional bait-and-switch. 

I am not really convinced about that. At least not in this phase.

It may have been an unintentional mistake, but as you wrote, 47 days have passed since the dockyard event went live, and somehow they correct this "mistake" only a few days before the final mission set is available. It was discussed on Reddit (although I'm not on Discord, I'm pretty sure it was a topic there as well), so there's no way they didn't notice it earlier. They also did it quietly, without telling players about the "bug". 

To be honest, I genuinely thought the mission was real. People with WV44 have the chance to complete the shipyard without buying any phases, which is actually quite nice, and since the Wisconsin is a pretty famous historical ship, I thought this was an attempt to be nice and help more people get it.

But no, they make a mistake (understandable), don't change it for 6 weeks (less understandable), and finally correct it a few hours before the start without informing anyone (even less understandable). They could easily admit the mistake and let the mission stand, I think no one would defame them for that, but they chose one of the worst possible solutions. To me, this is a huge spit in the face of the community.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Zerstoerherr said:

I am not really convinced about that. At least not in this phase.

It may have been an unintentional mistake, but as you wrote, 47 days have passed since the dockyard event went live, and somehow they correct this "mistake" only a few days before the final mission set is available. It was discussed on Reddit (although I'm not on Discord, I'm pretty sure it was a topic there as well), so there's no way they didn't notice it earlier. They also did it quietly, without telling players about the "bug". 

To be honest, I genuinely thought the mission was real. People with WV44 have the chance to complete the shipyard without buying any phases, which is actually quite nice, and since the Wisconsin is a pretty famous historical ship, I thought this was an attempt to be nice and help more people get it.

But no, they make a mistake (understandable), don't change it for 6 weeks (less understandable), and finally correct it a few hours before the start without informing anyone (even less understandable). They could easily admit the mistake and let the mission stand, I think no one would defame them for that, but they chose one of the worst possible solutions. To me, this is a huge spit in the face of the community.

It depends, if the intention with the wording was the same as with this 'Bronze Camo' mission we see here:

I never checked it in game, because I was not planning on doing the Dockyard missions, but based on what others have said in this thread it said

Earn 1 achievement:

Indicating that something was missing from the next line, the actual achievement.

I don't think we have no way of knowing what sort of mistake is behind this, an accidental or a deliberate one. It's unlikely they didn't know what the required achievement was, so the most probably and most innocuous explanation would be that they had for some reason left out that line of text. I also can't see anything about this discussed on Discord, and I'm certainly not going to bother with Discord search to try and find something.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Zerstoerherr said:

If you wait long enough, folks will tell you who they are.

I wish this kind of shady behavior was not the standard behavior of WG staff...but I have years of examples of the same thing.

It's why I laugh when WG staff get annoyed when they feel we do not award them sufficient respect...

...we are like Rick telling Ugarte how 'impressed' we are with them.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark
  • Like 4