The D-Day missions (pts pt 2) are awful

Subtle_Octavian

Posted (edited)

The missions hinge on you dying. They WANT you to die. The missions are designed to be hostile to you winning.

Die enough and you get a specific buff card, so you die less. A card so the turrets actually can be killed, a card so the torpedo boats can be killed, so on and so on.

The only way to not suffer is to earn all of these cards and pick the right ones.

So let's start off by saying that unless you are in a full secondary spec'd Repulse 44 or West Virginia 44, you're gonna suffer.

There's no heal zones, so if you take a ship with no heal, the aimbots, torp spam, and planes will chip you down quickly.

The game starts by spawning schnellboot ships right on top of you. They are giga fast, and in general too small for secondaries to hit. 

This is just the first part of the mission.

Then you have to rescue sinking ships while they take fire. Most players are too passive or dumb to do that part. Mission over.

They decided to give the German destroyers travelling smoke and double speed torpedoes. They hide in smoke and relentlessly

farm you. It's basically Jager torpedo spam for a good five minutes.

Pass that part? You get the carrier minigame, and more giga OP destroyer rushes. You then have to kill the turrets to get the full bonus, and a few capital ships with aimbot are dropped in with more destroyers to make sure you realize you need those damn modifier cards.

The weakest link is the players. You will struggle to get them to rub two braincells together to win this event.

Worst of all, it has a bad feel; there's very little fun in enduring ten schnellboot ships that rush right at you, let alone having to endure that four times.

This is going to be division mandatory: Smoke ship, Secondary BB, and Hydro ship. Basically a KGV, Flint, and a WV 44 secondary build, and you will probably still lose 

as your team mates will be incapable of understanding what to do.

Edited by Subtle_Octavian
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

have they started ? must have missed the memo ? 

Interesting. Did the change the op on pts over night?  Last I played it on Friday, the ops was defending the beach from attack with German DD’s. 

Which was the same basic experience, loose until gathering enough “intelligence “ to then stand some chance of winning. Requiring 10 minefields to be set as the win requirement is silly when folks die quick and the reload on minefield is long. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DoW_ said:

Did the change the op on pts over night?

Yes. Part 3 is up on PTS. It's better than part two(but that one really is indescribably bad), but it shares faults with part 1 in that 'you bring Atlanta and farm'.

I played both part 2 and 3 this weekend, and they suck. I don't think I'll bother with an extensive write up like I did in the thread about part 1, because it's clear that all 3 of these ops will share the same major fault of relying on Intelligence Documents in order to be 'fun', and mines as 'fun'. Both of these mechanics are tedious and detrimental.

Tldr; these ops will suffer due to Intelligence Documents and mines. They are bad, and I don't expect them to be fixed in a meaningful way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Subtle_Octavian said:

he missions hinge on you dying. They WANT you to die. The missions are designed to be hostile to you winning.

Die enough and you get a specific buff card, so you die less. A card so the turrets actually can be killed, a card so the torpedo boats can be killed, so on and so on.

The only way to not suffer is to earn all of these cards and pick the right ones.

So let's start off by saying that unless you are in a full secondary spec'd Repulse 44 or West Virginia 44, you're gonna suffer.

There's no heal zones, so if you take a ship with no heal, the aimbots, torp spam, and planes will chip you down quickly.

The game starts by spawning schnellboot ships right on top of you. They are giga fast, and in general too small for secondaries to hit. 

This is just the first part of the mission.

Then you have to rescue sinking ships while they take fire. Most players are too passive or dumb to do that part. Mission over.

They decided to give the German destroyers travelling smoke and double speed torpedoes. They hide in smoke and relentlessly

farm you. It's basically Jager torpedo spam for a good five minutes.

Pass that part? You get the carrier minigame, and more giga OP destroyer rushes. You then have to kill the turrets to get the full bonus, and a few capital ships with aimbot are dropped in with more destroyers to make sure you realize you need those damn modifier cards.

The weakest link is the players. You will struggle to get them to rub two braincells together to win this event.

Worst of all, it has a bad feel; there's very little fun in enduring ten schnellboot ships that rush right at you, let alone having to endure that four times.

This is going to be division mandatory: Smoke ship, Secondary BB, and Hydro ship. Basically a KGV, Flint, and a WV 44 secondary build, and you will probably still lose 

as your team mates will be incapable of understanding what to do.

Exactly my opinion too. A completely chaotic and unpleasant game play. 

• Like 2

It sounds annoying. Is there a prize for bothering with the mode or is it just a break from the same old thing?

I had the same experience playing them on the PTS, none of them were really fun and i mean all three of them. The two new ones seem to suffer from the same problem the first had when it was released, they are way to difficult. I especially hate the stupid minefields in one and three, in mission three where you have to rescue ships that are completely surrounded by them, they are extremely annoying. No reason to play the Missions, so unless they offer some nice rewards for it, i will skip them on the Live Server.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

It sounds annoying. Is there a prize for bothering with the mode or is it just a break from the same old thing?

There is a D-Day flag, some D-Day patches/emblems, permaflage for the Baltimore and Jervis, and some new commanders.  

Edited by HamptonRoads
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a hard pass from what most are posting here. The only way to send War Failing the message they deserve is to not play this mission at all. 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

There is a D-Day flag, some D-Day patches/emblems, permaflage for the Baltimore and Jervis, and some new commanders.  

There has to be something worthwhile to bother.  So, this is a hard pass.

• Like 3

Ill say it again so if anyone from WG is passing through...

I have zero interest in an ops that has to be grinded to get to a point where fun might be had.

This game is not the only game I play.

Make the game work, and I don't do it. I also tell my friends not to bother with the 'game.'

This is how games die.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 2:10 PM, Beleaf said:

Everyone, start your Atlantas

Even Atlanta's need to play extremely passive...these bots can tank out an Atlanta fast that gets too close to even a small group of them...

You can only focus 1 at a time...they will all focus you & the hits from the bot DDs are equivalent to the hits the Atlanta gives DDs in random...yet your hits barely scratch the surface.

Atlanta can be good but you need to hang at the extreme edges & single out each DD 1 at a time...& They have different spawns so you have to play enough to learn all the different spawns & the spawn patterns each time to not end up in the middle of a pack of them when they spawn in...

With a div of players that have spammed the mode enough times to learn all the patterns teamwork can get the goals accomplished...but if:

On 5/27/2024 at 7:19 AM, HamptonRoads said:

^^^That is the only goals...seems like a solid waste of time for all that effort...

But will be a good way to test new div mates out to see how well you can work together...or if you can't.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Subtle_Octavian said:

1- The missions hinge on you dying.

2- The only way to not suffer is to earn all of these cards and pick the right ones.

1- Dying is not the requirement that earns you the buff cards...

Your team needs to finish the 2ndary tasks to earn those...

Each extra task earns you advancement on the grid (like the 20 levels of the present anime event...that type of grid)...but it's not just buffs on the grid...the commander's & other rewards are all on the same grid...only certain levels of the grid drop buffs...

Though this grid only seemed to have 1 level (as opposed to an extra "premium" level bdlow it)...& I don't recall exactly how many levels it had...whether it was 20 or more.

2- what makes you think you ain't gonna suffer just because you have some buffs equipped... there's a lot of hardcore aspects to these & the buffs only give some "protections" against certain aspects...& Not even all of those aspects...

IE: there's are buffs to decrease your dispersion...but they don't even apply to all the ships in a ship type...IOW it takes 2 different buffs just to get a dispersion bonus against all of the DDs...each buff only applies to a couple different DDs/cruisers/BBs/smell boats.

I earned my PTS tokens...their gonna have to buff the prize pool pretty steep to get me to even waste a moment on it on the live server.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

The pessimistic seer in me says they will make this mess the OPs for the patch, and stop the other Ops.

Then they will claim that no one wants to play Ops and scrap Ops entirely.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

The pessimistic seer in me says they will make this mess the OPs for the patch, and stop the other Ops.

Then they will claim that no one wants to play Ops and scrap Ops entirely.

If that's the case, I'll scrap WOWS from my PC entirely.

• Like 2

Having played the German DD one, I don't find it that insane unlike the first round of Utah Beach. Although it does get easier (for the player at least) if more ships die.

Only thing I'd change currently is reduce the number of minimum minefields to drop from 10 to 7 or 8 or leave it at 10 but take a minute off the cooldown between dropping them.

Also bring either T-61 or Maass with Lujtens cause everything else is basically pointless. 

• Like 1

Lol I don't care what they do I'm not playing any Operation more than once 

Posted (edited)

What a bummer. I was excited over these ops because, if i remember correctly, you could bring Tier 5 ships, so i was eagerly looking at sailing my New York, Iron Duke or Bretagne. But reading this and other threads, unless i bring a secondary ship like WV 44 or an HE spammer like Atlanta/Flint im doomed.

Shame, i was really looking forward at dusting off some Tier 5 ships for what sounded like a fun Op, guess ill skip this event.

9 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

They have done that in the past. They did it with Dynamo, The Wolfpack Op, the Halloween Ops, im sure as hell they'll do it again. If its as bad an OP as it sounds, ill skip WoWS for that entire event and do some other things.

Edited by Sidelock
  • Like 2

Whatever you think of FLAMU , as a person, as a player hes really, really good at WoWS/

Seeing him fail these D-Day Ops again and again, and with other Hard Ops already failing on a consistent basis, this is a badly balanced, Hard Pass

Too bad

Regards

JM

• Like 4

I have to avoid bad ping hours if I want to do this scenario. Too hard to shoot at PT boat if I have inconsistent ping.

I know my ISP have shit ping during rush hour.

BTW: I only tried T7 boat, to remain competitive I won't bring T5-6 boat when others bring in T7 boat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SerahKhan said:

Whatever you think of FLAMU , as a person, as a player hes really, really good at WoWS/

Seeing him fail these D-Day Ops again and again, and with other Hard Ops already failing on a consistent basis, this is a badly balanced, Hard Pass

Too bad

Regards

JM

flamu plays safer games then a virgin saving her virginity

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I got lucky it sounds like.

The 1st 2 days of the PTS fall early in the week Brawl days & I usually just log on to the PTS to farm the 1 mission that is only available on the "2nd & 3rd day" (though I log in late in the night so those are actually my 1st & 2nd days of playing on the PTS)...then I wait until the 3rd or 4th day to farm the rest of the PTS tasks to make sure i have enough time to get the coal in brawls...

But I got 17 (of 31) wins the 1st day of Brawls so I knew I had plenty of time to finish up easily so I did the PTS D-Day missions on the 1st day...when I logged in the 2nd day to do the 2nd day of the other mission I noticed the D-Day mission had changed...but I had already farmed the D-Day missions on the 1st day when it was the obviously easier German DD missions to do.

From the OP it sounds like the 2nd set of PTS part 2 missions were just as retarded as the PTS part 1 missions were so glad I dodged the bullet of having to deal with that crap.

Take note: I had zero interest in winning the Op...the mission was 70 ribbons & w/T61 that went way quick...but i did set my mines twice each time toward the winning task...after the 1st attempt which I only set them once before dying.

1st attempt I did get ambushed by not using my hydro after stealing the 1st wave Benson bot's smoke (which has over a 3 minute 30 second duration btw***)...Brit bot hydroed me & took me out before i could get my guns around...

But I learned to hydro (my KM hydro out distances it's Brit hydro) take out that DD & you can farm forever in that smoke.

***Yes...these bots parameters are way amped up...but in this case was able to use it against them.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos