Memorial Day

HogHammer

Monday, May 27th is Memorial Day in the U.S.  It is an American holiday to honor the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military.  Be safe this weekend and explain to the younger generation the true meaning of Memorial Day or similar days and dates held in different countries and what it really means.

For us in the U.S., it is not just a three-day holiday but a day to truly understand and honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

veteran-cemetery-1024x681.thumb.jpg.1d1a24452429bb032d97500e4be265ff.jpg

Death of a brother (an actual letter sent home)

July 27, 1944
France

Dear Dick and Sis:

This letter was held up until you had heard of the sad news of Dave. Your typed letter of June 23rd forwarded from the 91st, I received some time ago, with the heading, "Day before Edwin Jr's birth and two days before Dick's Birthday, but you didn’t know it was one day after Dave's death.

It was the second of July when a friend of mine came to my tent to inform me that three officers wished to see me. I crawled out of my tent and stood up to see a Major and two lieutenants coming across the area towards me. I recognized Lt. Johnson at once. My heart was glad, and I thought Dave would be here, too.

But when Lt. Johnson came up to me, he said, "Cleo, I have bad news for you. David was killed in action on the 22nd of July".

I just stood dumbstruck.  The Major was crying while Lt. Johnson gave me the news.

The next day Captain Kulp and Lt. Johnson returned to give me more details, which I cannot put down here. Dave was killed instantaneously and did not suffer. They said he had a very contented expression on his face.

Lt. Johnson said he slept with Dave in a foxhole the night before it happened. He said Dave’s death was felt more than anyone's to date in the battalion as he was so well-liked. Captain Kulp said he was at Mass and Communion with Dave on the twenty-first.

On the fourth of July, I located Dave’s grave. Standing by my pup tent and looking over four hedge rows, I can see the crosses of the cemetery from here. I often make a visit to his grave as it’s only a five-minute walk across the two fields to the cemetery. Standing at the foot of his grave with one of his dog tags nailed to the white cross, it is difficult to realize that Dave is lying there. One conciliation is that the war is over for him, and he is not going through hell at the front.

The other day, while at the cemetery, I saw about fifty soldiers beautifying the graves and putting up a white flag pole. The French people from the Catholic Church nearby were planting flowers on each grave.

I have taken fifty dollars from my account for masses for Dave.

I feel much lonelier here now with Dave gone. He was our favorite brother and everyone that knew him loved him. No doubt I shall miss him more when I get back to Cleveland. Tell Ginny I am very sorry.

Don't worry about me. I am safe here and in good health. Wishing you and family my love, I remain,

Yours
Cleo

P.S. Let me know the date you receive this letter. Please write often.

This letter was sent home by Cleo Marquard, David's brother.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A different Dave, one I served with and became friends with while we were both in the USMC, died in December of 2022.
I consider it fortunate that we were able to meet-up at a nearby truck-stop in New Hampshire, and share some laughter, a few weeks before his demise.

For every Veteran who has died, in or out of combat, I hoist a beverage in salute to them.
  angel-lips-cocktail-1108.png&f=1&nofb=1&  

• Like 6

I'd almost forgotten I made this video some time back for Memorial Day. And although there were US submarine loses, those ships were not part of WoWS then for the video. None should be forgotten from the holiday remembrance.

• Like 3

Fallen.thumb.jpeg.181858c0dc88c874acac4126ee45759c.jpeg

Dear Mom,

I’m writing this letter before I leave. I couldn’t say what I wanted to over the phone. First I want to say I love you so much. You were always there for me even though I would never talk about my problems. Second you gave me the options to be a man giving me slack in the rope to try to make the right decisions. No matter what you always believed in me, no matter how much of a punk I was to you. We are leaving for Bahgram to flush out 600 Taliban soldiers from the mountains. This is the biggest battle of the war on terrorism. We already sustained 30 casualties and one KIA. …

I don’t want you to worry about me. (I know you will cause I’m your son). Mom I’m not afraid to die for something that is right … I just hope that I made you proud, and if I don’t come home for any reason I just want you to know I’ll always be with you. … I want you to know you raised the cream of the crop. … Well Mom I have to go now, all that I have said here are words from my heart and I mean every last one of them. Tell Aunt Joyce I said hi and I love her. I hope to see you soon but if that doesn’t work out I just needed you to know how I felt. I Love you and Miss you. Take care your always in my thoughts.

Your Loving Son Josh

Harapko survived combat in Afghanistan but died almost exactly one year later, on March 11, 2003, when the Black Hawk helicopter he was flying in crashed during a training mission at Fort Drum, N.Y. Shortly before he died, he decided to give his mother the letter he had written in the uncertain hours before Operation Anaconda. She cherishes it as his last letter home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1