ESRB Rating - has anyone seen this...

Asym

OK, I talk a lot about ESRB labels and their Significance/Insignificance and during a discussion with a home schooling couple, the wife asked what the notes meant....

What notes?

image.png.b81492077197cf00facc8cf0c0e81e14.png   Notice the comments under the Violence label.

On line actions not rated by the ESRB....   Now, that is something I haven't seen !  Gosh......

Anyone else notice this?

• Like 2

Seems to be an old thing, Reddit has a thread on it dating back to 2011. Appears to mean that the user generated content in an online game cannot be rated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Asym said:

Anyone else notice this?

Yep it is standard for non-scripted content. A movie, a song or a Game cutscene is a known event with fixed characteristics, it's a 'constant' so You can rate it. 

Online interactions (like Game chat or any other in Game communication) are unpredictable, 'unkown', they are 'variable' thus can't be rated in a predictive fashion

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Asym said:

OK, I talk a lot about ESRB labels and their Significance/Insignificance and during a discussion with a home schooling couple, the wife asked what the notes meant....

What notes?

image.png.b81492077197cf00facc8cf0c0e81e14.png   Notice the comments under the Violence label.

On line actions not rated by the ESRB....   Now, that is something I haven't seen !  Gosh......

Anyone else notice this?

It's a disclaimer which warns people that players might be exposed to "adult language" sent from other players.

(As @Admiral_Karasu and @ArIskandir have already explained.)

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

It's a disclaimer which warns people that players might be exposed to "adult language" sent from other players.

(As @Admiral_Karasu and @ArIskandir have already explained.)

I appreciate the response........  But, TBH, I never noticed it before..... 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Asym said:

I appreciate the response........  But, TBH, I never noticed it before..... 

Often we merely glance at stuff, and it looks mostly like what we've seen before, so our mind doesn't always make the extra effort to truly observe.

Edited to add:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/guest-blog/dont-just-see-observe-what-sherlock-holmes-can-teach-us-about-mindful-decisions/

In "A Scandal in Bohemia," Holmes instructs Watson on the difference between seeing and observing:

"When I hear you give your reasons," I remarked, "the thing always appears to me to be so ridiculously simple that I could easily do it myself, though at each successive instance of your reasoning, I am baffled until you explain your process. And yet I believe that my eyes are as good as yours."

"Quite so," he answered, lighting a cigarette, and throwing himself down into an armchair. "You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear. For example, you have frequently seen the steps which lead up from the hall to this room."

"Frequently."

"How often?"

"Well, some hundreds of times."

"Then how many are there?"

"How many? I don't know."

"Quite so! You have not observed. And yet you have seen. That is just my point. Now, I know that there are seventeen steps, because I have both seen and observed."

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 2