Did anyone else notice collusion in Brawls?

Sambo_Cigars

I have been in about 20 brawls today and I noticed clear-cut collusion. I the first case, which I reported, the other team and my team mate communicated in a language that is displayed as empty space for me. Then all 3 typed 'OK'  (visible to both teams). During the encounter, only I was targeted and the Schlieffen in my team did nothing, after my ship was sunk (I did not exit the battle but I kept watching because the whole thing seemed suspicious to me), the Schlieffen parked himself right next to the battleship in the other team and they shot a bit in the water and Schlieffen launched torps in such a way that they would miss.

And now this 3rd brawl with very peculiar behavior. Watch what happens when my Salem is sunk. I think collusion must be rampant on the Asia server.

20240520_103543_PASC710-Salem_44_Path_warrior.wowsreplay

• Sad 3

What used to be squares now appear as empty spaces for me too, my guess is they rigged it so they could farm potential damage or something?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MashedPotatoSalad said:

What used to be squares now appear as empty spaces for me too, my guess is they rigged it so they could farm potential damage or something?

I don't mind farming potential damage to earn a little more credit, XP and such but what bothers me is that sometimes they make an arrangement on which side will win the brawl. I have met a fellow with a very peculiar playstyle twice, both time he played the Sicily and both times he did very little, only after I had been eliminated did he seem to come to life. 

• Like 2

I was afraid that missions like Wisconsin dockyard could cause mission farming and that always happens, wg doesnt care they just want players to play.

Almost every game now in tier 10 ends that nobody has more then 500 exp, games are stomps always.

about your case, well ah, its brawl so dont worry about it, better then that happens in random and ranked

• Like 4

It's because WG forces people to farm potential damage, so people quickly thinks of this way.

I've done the same trick to be honest, but only when the brawl is 1V1, and there's a good chance the opposite player wants to have the mission done too.

• Like 3

Brawls are notorious for collusion.

WG even got fed up and actually punished folks who were colluding the CV only brawls to inflate plane kill numbers a while back.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

I was afraid that missions like Wisconsin dockyard could cause mission farming and that always happens, wg doesnt care they just want players to play.

Almost every game now in tier 10 ends that nobody has more then 500 exp, games are stomps always.

about your case, well ah, its brawl so dont worry about it, better then that happens in random and ranked

To OP: basically that is collusion farming, thanks to the Wisconsin dockyard's cruiser and battleship potential damage farming tasks.

As a Chinese gamer, this has been some sort of sensitive subject due to an earlier incident back in September 2022. During the 7th Anniversary celebrations, 4 T8 brawls were arranged and the first one was 3CV vs 3CV. Someone soon discovered that by collusion and, in effect, match fixing, they can farm ridiculously high XP by intentionally throwing planes into the opponent's air defence, and farming hundreds of "aircraft destroyed" ribbons with little effort involved. Some of the involved managed to reset Midway and power-grinded through Lexington for dozens of times.

Someone reported such obvious match fixing (and in turn, some of the involved would concentrate fire on, even teamkill passers-by that refuse to join them before their AA farming that did cause considerable dissatisfaction for those who expected a proper Midway reenactment). Sadly I've forgot about some details of the reporting, and in the end WG responded well after the end of that session. They declared that such match fixing is an obvious violation to the game's terms of service, and punished some (only some, while left some others away with their not fully lawfully gotten gains and allegedly also a few innocent gamers) by rolling their account back to the day before the CV brawl, and spammed (there were claims of innocent gamers also received such E-mails) warning E-mails among the playerbase.

The players involved were very dissatisfied of course. Many of those involved had their results of farming, that took much of their personal and even family time thanks to the Mid-Autumn Festival holidays that year, reduced to null and void, and there has even been obviously invalid self defenses like claiming they just fought so fiercely that they were all deplaned and had to resort to secondaries and ramming. Another aspect of criticism was that, WG was informed of the match fixing soon after the beginning of the session, yet did not make a hot fix (like shutting down the mode temporarily), and chose to settle the accounts after the entire weekend session and after much player activeness has been contributed, and settled the accounts in a very broad-brush way that have some punished while some others evaded and resorted to spamming warning mails in the end.

Collusion and match fixing practices continued after this event, thanks to human nature and WG's mind numbing tasks like farming XX amount of potential damage in a week in the future, despite its obvious violation of EULA rules. Though for many lessons have been learnt: it is suggested to do match fixing only when all involved players openly agree; keep a low profile and do not show off how you have farmed by match fixing; and accept the fact that like purchasing premium items with suspicious methods (that may have stolen credit cards and money laundering involved), accept risks like being banned and rolled back by WG for farming with the collusion and match fixing method.

Edited by Project45_Opytny
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

▉▉▉▉ ▉▉▉! 

▉▉▉ ▉▉▉▉▉?

▉▉▉▉ ▉▉ ▉ ▉▉!!!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

It's because WG forces people to farm potential damage, so people quickly thinks of this way.

I've done the same trick to be honest, but only when the brawl is 1V1, and there's a good chance the opposite player wants to have the mission done too.

Unfortunately, match fixing and such farming often go hand in hand. Brawls is the easiest mode to farm damage without resorting to any match fixing. I completed the 30 million HP potential damage for cruisers with ease in brawls. 

It's possible to complete these tasks without cheating. I have no sympathy for the cheaters and colluders. There is no excuse. 

Man up and do the goddamn missions.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I stopped playing Brawls when they ceased being the 1 on 1 matches they were supposed to be and became a cross between Clan Wars and Ranked.  Whenever you have more than one person per side, you have the risk of collusion, especially among players or Clans who want to inflate their stats.  

Since it's against the EULA, it's up to WG to hold the players accountable when reported.  If they are too lazy to do so, it will only continue, because gamers are like everyone else...the ones looking to break rules or laws will do so if there is no penalty for doing so, and others will follow their example for easy rewards.

It is the fault of the players if they collude against the spirit and intent of the game that they know and agreed to.  It's the fault of WG if they fail to act to uphold their own rules.

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Like 2

I will try to limit the damage I give, and maximize the damage I get. LOL

Should be fun. LOL

5 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

It's possible to complete these tasks without cheating. I have no sympathy for the cheaters and colluders. There is no excuse. 

Absolutely. Also, why ruin brawls with cheating when we have an ideal format right now (2 vs 2, no subs or CV's)?

2 hours ago, Frostbow said:

I will try to limit the damage I give, and maximize the damage I get. LOL

Should be fun. LOL

That is not how I brawl.

6 minutes ago, Sambo_Cigars said:

That is not how I brawl.

No one said that is how you do it. 😄

I finished the remainder of the 42,000,000 Potential Damage mission in 2 Brawls. Shot them once with HE, turned my secondaries off, then watched as the Potential Damage counter climbed faster than Wargaming's flagging revenues. 😂

Red Team even complimented me after the match after I typed GLHF to all. 🤣

brawl1(2).thumb.jpg.aaf6631adf5a223e8cf6ad215074c661.jpg

brawl1(1).thumb.jpg.e4bca7513809d5f6858618bae7e3cf6f.jpg

Brawls are so much fun—and productive! 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frostbow said:

No one said that is how you do it. 😄

I finished the remainder of the 42,000,000 Potential Damage mission in 2 Brawls. Shot them once with HE, turned my secondaries off, then watched as the Potential Damage counter climbed faster than Wargaming's flagging revenues. 😂

Red Team even complimented me after the match after I typed GLHF to all. 🤣

brawl1(2).thumb.jpg.aaf6631adf5a223e8cf6ad215074c661.jpg

brawl1(1).thumb.jpg.e4bca7513809d5f6858618bae7e3cf6f.jpg

Brawls are so much fun—and productive! 😂

42M in 2 battles... didn't happen to screenshot the post battle on that did you...

Never seen a 21M potential battle before.

What ship btw?

Assuming KM turtleback to take that much...plus the "turned off 2ndaries" comment.

Wish I hadn't finished the PD directives before Brawls was made available.  The boredom and tedium I would have gladly traded for being called a 'cheater'.  

9 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Man up >!?  It's a game Ensign.  A game where cheating is "normal behavior..."  Sanctioned behaviors... 

1: This is what happens when WG forces players to grind 72million potential damage between two classes in one week.

2: This behavior seems very common on Asia, as I recall a CV brawl bascially had everyone just sit next to each other farming plane kills and stupid high BXP. WG shot that down fairly quickly, so as long as WG is made aware of this they (might) do something.

4 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

42M in 2 battles...

You are mistaken. It was the remainder of the 42M that I finished in 2 Brawl Battles. 

Remainder. Not the entirety. 

didn't happen to screenshot the post battle on that did you...

Yes because there was nothing to screenshot. No 21M potential damage brawl battle happened. 😄

Never seen a 21M potential battle before.

Yeah, me too. 👍

What ship btw?

You can easily see it on my post. 😄

Please read carefully next time before commenting. 😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

You are mistaken. It was the remainder of the 42M that I finished in 2 Brawl Battles. 

Remainder. Not the entirety. 

Yes because there was nothing to screenshot. No 21M potential damage brawl battle happened. 😄

Yeah, me too. 👍

You can easily see it on my post. 😄

Please read carefully next time before commenting. 😂

Hey...in my defense... it's right in the middle of the screen...easy to miss.

Next time try to set it off to the side so it sticks out & catches the attention easier ,🥴

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Hey...in my defense... it's right in the middle of the screen...easy to miss.

Next time try to set it off to the side so it sticks out & catches the attention easier ,🥴

No worries. I sometimes also find it hard to view details of screenshots. It seems the system automatically resizes photo attachments or reduces the resolution to a certain level.

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 4:08 AM, Sambo_Cigars said:

I have been in about 20 brawls today and I noticed clear-cut collusion. I the first case, which I reported, the other team and my team mate communicated in a language that is displayed as empty space for me. Then all 3 typed 'OK'  (visible to both teams). During the encounter, only I was targeted and the Schlieffen in my team did nothing, after my ship was sunk (I did not exit the battle but I kept watching because the whole thing seemed suspicious to me), the Schlieffen parked himself right next to the battleship in the other team and they shot a bit in the water and Schlieffen launched torps in such a way that they would miss.

And now this 3rd brawl with very peculiar behavior. Watch what happens when my Salem is sunk. I think collusion must be rampant on the Asia server.

20240520_103543_PASC710-Salem_44_Path_warrior.wowsreplay 564.24 kB · 1 download

Isn't collusion the same as team work?  Our clan and my old clan, work together.  We division for spotting damage.  Two fast firing Cruisers and a DD....  We spawn usually at one Cap and then, intentionally for spotting damage and take turns being the Cruiser and DD.....  Firing from US Smoke's long duration works best.

We "colluded" to make Farming Spotting Damage 1,000 percent faster.  PD is the same way.    Is that against the EULA to work together to expedite frivolous and obnoxious event tasks.....???

Edited by Asym

1 hour ago, Asym said:

Isn't collusion the same as team work?  Our clan and my old clan, work together.  We division for spotting damage.  Two fast firing Cruisers and a DD....  We spawn usually at one Cap and then, intentionally for spotting damage and take turns being the Cruiser and DD.....  Firing from US Smoke's long duration works best.

We "colluded" to make Farming Spotting Damage 1,000 percent faster.  PD is the same way.    Is that against the EULA to work together to expedite frivolous and obnoxious event tasks.....???

I think I will attempt to make the distinction here, though I hope it is only a matter of not understanding the situation.

If you work with members of your own team to set up conditions favorable to your team winning, then that is teamwork.

If you work with members of the opposing team to set up conditions favorable to yourself or the opposing team to win, it is collusion.

If you are on opposing teams, you are bound by the rules of conduct, the EULA, and good sportsmanship to do all in your ability within the ethical limits of the game to seek the win for your team and deny it to the opposing team, regardless of who is on the other team.  If you are in the same Clan, or allied Clans, you fight the opposing members as you would any other player.

What you think about WG, the terms of contests or their requirements for events is irrelevant to this core concept and your own actions.  The ends do not justify the means.

• Thanks 1