My top picks for tier 7 ranked! And why

BOBTHEBALL

16 minutes ago, SureBridge said:

Welcome @Elluvon

Low tier ranked is highly variable. My favorite T7 is probably Vaquelin, but T6/7 I'd be tempted by Nurenberg or Makarov because they have such great guns, and don't need to pen the massive armour of T8+ BB's

Thanks, happy to be here. Didn't even realize this forum existed after the main one shut down.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elluvon said:

I ran Rooke, Fiji, and King George V for bronze. For some reason German BB players like to mash their DCP immediately after one fire, so KGV and Rooke were supremely effective at long-duration permafires. The perfect counter to the Scharnhorst spam. 

Yeah those are all good choices, I managed to rank out with Rooke. Such a great ship, very enjoyable.

Ran Scharn '43 just long enough to farm the missions that required Germans as an option & switched to Atlanta from there.

Dakka ruled the day.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Yeah those are all good choices, I managed to rank out with Rooke. Such a great ship, very enjoyable.

Tried out Prinz Heinrich per your recommendation. Didn’t think much of it at first, but I put some ECXP into the captain and ended up ranking out with it. Whatcha recommend for T9?

I have

Georgia

Black

Alaska

Musashi

Kronshtadt

Jean Bart

Nutra-Slimmy

And a lot of the tech tree.

Edited by Utt_Bugglier

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Tried out Prinz Heinrich per your recommendation. Didn’t think much of it at first, but I put some ECXP into the captain and ended up ranking out with it. Whatcha recommend for T9?

Georgia and Alaska can work, it's just that they feel rather aged to me in today's game climate. I've been running a tank-build GA for a while and it works so much better than my old secondary build. If your team can support you and if you don't over-extend (which I do in Georgia often due to her speed lol), she can be a beast. With my build I get 5 heals with another heal after every 2m potential damage with IRPR, which keeps her in the fight for a lot longer than people expect. That short cooldown time is massive. Her speed is also huge in ranked because you can easily reposition to support teammates at other flanks. I'd just be wary of overmatch and your lack of guns. I try to play her mid to very close range in ranked due to the shorter engagement distances. Helps to ensure that all of my shells actually connect. 

I ran Alaska to qualify for silver, but she just didn't feel comfortable to play. You're so easily HE spammed by the likes of Groningen, Friesland, and the other extreme spammy DDs and CLs that people are pulling into ranked. Overmatch and huge-caliber BBs are also a problem, too. And sure, you have a radar, but you can't easily engage DDs because of your long reload. And God knows it's a gamble whether or not your team will actually support you when you radar the DD. 

I can't speak for the other ships, but Black just feels like a good pick due to her radar alone. That helps to deal with other destroyers easily. A well played Black on my teams has been invaluable. 

Happy sailing, and good luck in silver!

Edited by Elluvon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

I have

Georgia

Black

Alaska

Musashi

Kronshtadt

Jean Bart

Nutra-Slimmy

Georgia is good, overmatching guns and fast platform makes it good for flanking. However it can get you into bad situations easily.

Black is also a good choice, however for a DD I'd just consider using Kitakaze.

Alaska is overrated so much but that doesn't make it bad. It's good for slapping other cruisers around but it will get burned down easily. Also the shells are quite easy to dodge for DDs so be careful with that.

Musashi is a top pick definitely, use her a lot. Very good ship.

Kronstadt is not good, don't use her. Inaccurate guns and can be farmed down easily.

JB is an ok pick, no overmatch but MBRB and speed boost to get flanking shots and makes using the HE better because you can go for perma fires.

Neustra, it's alright. No real gun power and the torps are ok but it outlives everything. 

For me I'm using Georgia, Roma, Buffalo, Kitakaze and Cataluna for ranked.

2 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

For me I'm using Georgia, Roma, Buffalo, Kitakaze and Cataluna for ranked.

Genuinely don't know why so many people sleep on the Spanish cruisers. They are so effective at knife-fighting, especially in smaller formats like Ranked where you're not getting slapped from across the map by three separate BBs.

1 minute ago, Elluvon said:

Genuinely don't know why so many people sleep on the Spanish cruisers. They are so effective at knife-fighting, especially in smaller formats like Ranked where you're not getting slapped from across the map by three separate BBs.

Well I mean if you are getting slapped across the map that's an awareness issue.

Just now, BOBTHEBALL said:

Well I mean if you are getting slapped across the map that's an awareness issue.

Of course, I'm just saying that in Ranked you have a lot less to worry about crossfire-wise. 

1 minute ago, Elluvon said:

Of course, I'm just saying that in Ranked you have a lot less to worry about crossfire-wise. 

Yes very true, both their ammo types are nice and they're quite mobile.

…and Friesland and Pommern

3 hours ago, Elluvon said:

It’s not limited to Spanish cruisers… I’ve had five Silver ranked battles, and two had team compositions of 3 BB and 3 DD.

Maybe it’s because so many T9 tech tree cruisers are in a bad place. Why reach for one when you can reach for a T10 instead? Then, over time, the mindset gets so entrenched and reflexive that people don’t reach for them when the environment is capped at T9.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

…and Friesland and Pommern

Eh Friesland is incredibly easy to counter, overrated ship. Pommern is ok yeah.

13 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

It’s not limited to Spanish cruisers… I’ve had five Silver ranked battles, and two had team compositions of 3 BB and 3 DD.

Maybe it’s because so many T9 tech tree cruisers are in a bad place. Why reach for one when you can reach for a T10 instead? Then, over time, the mindset gets so entrenched and reflexive that people don’t reach for them when the environment is capped at T9.

Yeah most tier 9 cruisers not even just tech tree cruisers are pretty bad.

Alaska is always a decent pick IMO. Like you're never looking at one in your team and going "man, why you bring that garbage? why not Azuma?". 

Last time I found Ägir pretty hilarious. Tech tree wise (speaking of cruisers), not sure. There's exactly zero T9 tech tree cruisers I have fond memories of. It's a tier where cruisers are overmatchable everywhere by T6 battleship Mutsu. 

My top pick is the MV Don'tplayranked.  😁   Why bother when the MM is a blatant Joke CHEAT fiasco (as it, imo, always has been). 

Tier 9 ranked the Prinz Rupprecht smashes all. 

Bob has a decent list for tree picks....

But T7 is premium tier for sure...

Top picks

Renown 44 - straight up OP (probably the most OP of this list)

WV 44 - has more secondary power than most tier 9's.  Slow as xmas so map dependent but with fast heals - super strong for ranked

Belfast - the OG OP ship

Lanta - Radar kills DDs, out DPM's all cruisers, and can chunk down BB at 3-8k bites every 4 - 5 seconds.

Flint - Needs spotting but given that is toxic to deal with

Haida - Best detect at tier and good guns on top of that. 

On 5/27/2024 at 7:49 AM, Utt_Bugglier said:

I have

Georgia

(snip)

Speaking of Georgia ranked, had a really good personal game last night. Too bad my team flaked on me and forced a loss, but I got to save my star at least. 
She's a really comfortable ship if you can play her right. Just be wary of over-extending and you're honestly good. image.thumb.png.dc307cb0e149f55487383f2dcea53a04.png

15 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Alaska is always a decent pick IMO.

Not so sure mate, when a Radar Cruiser is food for the things it is supposed to counter (as in DDs)... she's fine against other Cruisers and BBs, but a good gunboat DD will farm her without too much trouble. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Not so sure mate, when a Radar Cruiser is food for the things it is supposed to counter (as in DDs)... she's fine against other Cruisers and BBs, but a good gunboat DD will farm her without too much trouble. 

The biggest problem with Alaska to me is the fact that there are better radar cruisers you could pick that perform so much better than Alaska. Buffalo, for example. Alaska's guns are both her biggest strength and her biggest weakness because their reload is so absurdly long that it's very hard to deal with the DDs you're supposed to counter to begin with. And if she's not supported by a team, she's a giant floating target screaming "farm me."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aethervox said:

My top pick is the MV Don'tplayranked.  😁   Why bother when the MM is a blatant Joke CHEAT fiasco (as it, imo, always has been). 

If that's what you want to think sure thing, I've really been enjoying ranked and had lots of fun clubbing the enemies. Great fun in some great ships.

2 hours ago, mashed68 said:

Tier 9 ranked the Prinz Rupprecht smashes all. 

Rupprecht does get smashed by some BBs though, a good counter is Iowa because she's fast and has accurate overmatching guns.

2 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

Lanta - Radar kills DDs, out DPM's all cruisers, and can chunk down BB at 3-8k bites every 4 - 5 seconds.

Flint - Needs spotting but given that is toxic to deal with

While they're strong, I wouldn't say they're OP at all.

42 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

A good HE spamming cruiser will farm the Alaska down incredibly easily. Especially something with a MBRB. Bayard believe it or not could slap Alaska around incredibly easily.

• Like 1

So, what are the best Tier 9 radar cruisers? I had mentally penciled in Alaska for that spot, but that was all by reputation.

On 5/27/2024 at 7:49 AM, Utt_Bugglier said:

I have

Georgia

Black

Alaska

Musashi

Kronshtadt

Jean Bart

Nutra-Slimmy

I'm partial to the Black, the Jean Bart and the Neustrashimy.
I also like the Georgia.
I don't have the Alaska or the Kronshtadt, so I'll defer to other's opinions about them.

Naturally, these ships don't all play the same.
~ My Black is set-up as a jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none.  But, the radar is useful to reveal ships that would prefer to be undetected.
~ I've set-up my Neustrashimy as a stealthy torpedo-bote.  The Repair-Party consumable helps keep the ship afloat if she is detected and takes damage.
~ Georgia is a USN battleship with big guns and a relatively uncomplicated play-style.  Her engine-boost allows her to move along nicely.
~ The ship Jean Bart can move fast and use her main-battery-reload-boost to deliver a lot of projectiles in a relatively short time. 
Commander Azur Lane Jean Bart is entertaining to listen to, in my opinion.

• Like 1