Tashkent 39, strong at bronze Ranked. 55+ knots, torpedo reload booster.

Subtle_Octavian

In randoms Tashkent 39 isn't so great. It has an almost 9km detection radius, and only 10km torpedo range. It also has only 3 guns.

It does have a lot of hitpoints and turns well.

In ranked you can use speed flag, swift in silence, and with speed boost you are doing 55+ knots.

You can flank and before the enemy is even out of their starting cap, are able to throw 16 torpedoes into their broadside.

If you have a Tashkent 39, it's worth playing in ranked.

2 hours ago, Subtle_Octavian said:

In randoms Tashkent 39 isn't so great. It has an almost 9km detection radius, and only 10km torpedo range. It also has only 3 guns.

It does have a lot of hitpoints and turns well.

In ranked you can use speed flag, swift in silence, and with speed boost you are doing 55+ knots.

You can flank and before the enemy is even out of their starting cap, are able to throw 16 torpedoes into their broadside.

If I had one I'd love to try it but I can't help but think. After these first couple of torpedo launchers what's stopping the enemy DD or even a stealthy enemy cruiser from coming and hunting you down? You wouldn't really be able to fight back at all in my opinion because of the horrible guns and concealment.

20 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

If I had one I'd love to try it but I can't help but think. After these first couple of torpedo launchers what's stopping the enemy DD or even a stealthy enemy cruiser from coming and hunting you down? You wouldn't really be able to fight back at all in my opinion because of the horrible guns and concealment.

It's bronze ranked...

None of those players will even know what a Tashkent 39 actually is...or know it's strengths and weaknesses...

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

It's bronze ranked...

None of those players will even know what a Tashkent 39 actually is...or know it's strengths and weaknesses...

well said, its like when I enter in a cap with Z 39 and they are confused with everlasting hydro 😄

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

well said, its like when I enter in a cap with Z 39 and they are confused with everlasting hydro 😄

Nice hack...cheater!!!

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

what's stopping the enemy DD or even a stealthy enemy cruiser from coming and hunting you down?

The fact that the Tash '39 is the fastest ship at T7 with an almost 2kt lead over second place. With engine boost and flag she tops 50kts. By the time someone decides to push her, she's already rotated off...

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 1:30 PM, Subtle_Octavian said:

I'm unconvinced that's worth the loss of all hope to exert cap/map control, even worse with a full visibility build. Maybe if you could guarantee at least one other DD to work the contested Cap, you could do some work on the home cap front. If you happen to be the only DD on your team I'll bet you are pretty screwed. 

6 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I'm unconvinced that's worth the loss of all hope to exert cap/map control, even worse with a full visibility build. Maybe if you could guarantee at least one other DD to work the contested Cap, you could do some work on the home cap front. If you happen to be the only DD on your team I'll bet you are pretty screwed. 

Yeah my thoughts as well.

• Like 1

You're over valuing torpedoes and undervaluing having a DD that can actually do DD things. Not a DD that has to play like a light cruiser with no firepower. Torpedoes are incredibly easy to dodge and counter in this game, remember that.

9 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

You're over valuing torpedoes and undervaluing having a DD that can actually do DD things. Not a DD that has to play like a light cruiser with no firepower. Torpedoes are incredibly easy to dodge and counter in this game, remember that.

I would go easy on the opinions unless you've actually played Tashkent '39 in ranked. She is very powerful if the player has a brain and the matchmaker isn't full of destroyers.

Fortunately, the T7 ranked MM is often overflowing with battleships, which is perfect for an ultra-fast torp spamming DD. The game becomes less about the contest cap and more about 1) who can chew up that enormous hitpoint pool as efficiently as possible (sneaky torps + TRB are very useful here); and/or 2) who can out-maneuver the glut of BBs take the unguarded cap behind them (50kts+ is best in tier).   

8 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Don't confuse cap control and map control, my friend. Tash may not be a good cap contester due to her bad detect, but her excellent speed + spam gives her great map control -- she can always get first eyes on the enemy big ships, she can torp-clog any lane she wants, and she can exploit any gap in the formation to back-cap. 

It's maybe a bit counter-intuitive, but you want to be the only DD on your team. For one, that means you have a decent chance of solo capping the contest cap if your opposite number was even slightly slow/indecisive (and resetting a cap is always easier than taking it). Secondly, once you know where the other DD is, you always get to decide whether to engage them because of the superior speed (if you don't have allies to help shoot them, just rotate away). Finally, in 1 DD matches the game becomes more of a damage race on the BBs, and all of her competitors either lack the torp output, the speed to get favorable angles, or the smoke to start follow up fires from safety.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, torino2dc said:

Don't confuse cap control and map control, my friend. Tash may not be a good cap contester due to her bad detect, but her excellent speed + spam gives her great map control -- she can always get first eyes on the enemy big ships, she can torp-clog any lane she wants, and she can exploit any gap in the formation to back-cap. 

It's maybe a bit counter-intuitive, but you want to be the only DD on your team. For one, that means you have a decent chance of solo capping the contest cap if your opposite number was even slightly slow/indecisive (and resetting a cap is always easier than taking it). Secondly, once you know where the other DD is, you always get to decide whether to engage them because of the superior speed (if you don't have allies to help shoot them, just rotate away). Finally, in 1 DD matches the game becomes more of a damage race on the BBs, and all of her competitors either lack the torp output, the speed to get favorable angles, or the smoke to start follow up fires from safety.

I can see the idea but I'm still unconvinced how You could apply that opposing a DD with basic competency.  

At 9km detection You are extremely easy to zone out and You won't be counter spotting the enemy DD unless You push 2-3 kms on the open, so terrible idea. Item plus, what's '39 torps range? 12 km or something like that? ... At 9 km detection You ain't stealth torping anything that isn't pushing into You (and they don't need to push as they have easy Cap advantage), keeping a screen and zone You out of effective range is quite easy to do (RPF is Standard choice for Ranked DDs). At this point You don't have Caps and You don't have damage.

So You have speed and can rotate flanks faster than your shadow, but for how long and to what end? (Home flank has no need to push as the Cap advantage is secured). You can run but you'll have nowhere useful to go. 

Granted it is Bronze and people might not have an idea of what they are doing, but it's just because the 'human factor' involved, not a particularly sound ship selection.

Edited by ArIskandir

I can see the appeal since so many teams just singlefist their battleship squadron in a silly flank push and they won't be expecting torps from a weird angle early. 

However because they do this, you can play basically any destroyer and get a ton of torpedo damage.

3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

9km detection

Full stealth Tash '39 is 7.56km; running it with anything other than full stealth wouldn't make sense. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, torino2dc said:

Full stealth Tash '39 is 7.56km; running it with anything other than full stealth wouldn't make sense. 

Yeah, that's what I think but OP was explicit on the 9 km... 

On 5/19/2024 at 1:30 PM, Subtle_Octavian said:

It has an almost 9km detection radius, and only 10km torpedo range.

At 7.56km obviously you won't be as exposed, but your window to stealth torp is still quite small and easy to screen you out of range. 

2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

At 7.56km obviously you won't be as exposed, but your window to stealth torp is still quite small and easy to screen you out of range. 

2.5km is plenty, especially since the functional range is 12km against pushing targets.

I just played a set of games in the Tash. I wasn't able to approach the 90% wr I had in my first season with it. I think the big difference was that almost all maps in the pool this time are three-in-a-line instead of the classic triangle. The former arrangement is a lot harder to backcap than the latter, which diminishes the value of speed considerably. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, torino2dc said:

2.5km is plenty, especially since the functional range is 12km against pushing targets.

I just played a set of games in the Tash. I wasn't able to approach the 90% wr I had in my first season with it. I think the big difference was that almost all maps in the pool this time are three-in-a-line instead of the classic triangle. The former arrangement is a lot harder to backcap than the latter, which diminishes the value of speed considerably. 

For a DD screening say 5 km ahead of the BBs (not a particular or uncommon range to operate) shouldn't be difficult to zone a Tashkent '39 out of effective range (5+7=12). I think it would be trivial to keep a Tash "out of the play" for most of the match (conditional on packing RPF, but I always do), also the geometry of interior lines should help overcome the speed differential, but hey that's my perspective... I might be blindsided to other people experiences and it may be not that trivial. 

Anyway 90% even at Bronze is quite high, I wouldn't have thought on first sight that Tashkent '39 could be that effective... tho it is you who we are talking about and that's a very significant modifier. So surprising but not that surprising 😛 

On 5/21/2024 at 10:40 PM, ArIskandir said:

Anyway 90% even at Bronze is quite high, I wouldn't have thought on first sight that Tashkent '39 could be that effective... tho it is you who we are talking about and that's a very significant modifier. So surprising but not that surprising 😛 

You are very kind ❤️

Attached is what I would consider an "average" Tashkent '39 game. Win the contest cap because you get there first, so you get to decide how the engagement goes. You can afford to trade with other torp boats like Shira because the health-pool is huge. Afterwards just do loops around the map back-capping (which is why it struggles on in-line cap maps). 

20240527_221850_PRSD517-Tashkent-1939_18_NE_ice_islands.wowsreplay

• Like 2

Ah, I have an Taskent and a Z-39?   What is a Tashkent 39?

20 minutes ago, Asym said:

Ah, I have an Taskent and a Z-39?   What is a Tashkent 39?

A variant of regular Tashkent with only 3 guns and horribad RoF, but it gets workable 10km torpedoes with TRB. So it is a Tashkent torpboat instead of gunboat and it is T7. Iirc you could get it for free in I don't remember which event.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Tashkent_1939

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

A variant of regular Tashkent with only 3 guns and horribad RoF, but it gets workable 10km torpedoes with TRB. So it is a Tashkent torpboat instead of gunboat and it is T7. Iirc you could get it for free in I don't remember which event.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Tashkent_1939

The advantage is you can take it to Ops. Well, at least until WG gracefully grants us the chance to play high tier ops too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1