Poll on ships for resources.

Ducky_shot

Posted this on reddit yesterday, but will also post it here. Original poll ws sent to about 10 high level clans where players have more of these ships than others and are also aware of most of their strengths and weaknesses, etc. I'm going to run a second poll, open to anyone to fill out as I'm curious what the results will be compared to high skilled players. The reason I choose high skilled players for this poll is that they are typically more invested in the game, have more resources, have obtained more of the ships, are involved with their clan mates and others in discussions and games where they are min maxing the ships to use to their greatest strengths. Basically, I feel that they would know the most about all the ships.

But you can find the second poll here: https://forms.gle/vC4dmuysRgt8mysG6

First off, steel ships.

What are the best Steel ships for competitive play? Respondents could pick 4. Competitive was left to their interpretation.

r/WorldOfWarships - 2024 "What in the world do you think I should buy?" Resource Ship Guide

What are the most fun steel ships to play? Again, they could pick 4.

r/WorldOfWarships - 2024 "What in the world do you think I should buy?" Resource Ship Guide

What is your favorite Steel ship?

Now we move on to Coal ships. I limited coal ships to tiers 9 and 10.

What are the best Coal ships for competitive play? Respondents could pick 6.

What are the most fun coal ships to play? Again, they could pick 6.

There are piles of T9 and T10 coal ships, so I allowed them to pick a favorite from both tiers.

What is our favorite T10 Coal ship?

What is your favorite T9 Coal ship?

Now on to RB ships.

What are the best RB ships for competitive play? Respondents could pick 4.

What are the most fun RB ships to play. Again, they could pick 4.

What is your favorite RB ship?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

I voted.
In some questions the responses required exceeded the number of ships I have in my Port. 
So, I had to rely upon the reputations of the ships via the remembered opinions of other players on this and the previous forum.

• Like 1

No love for Gato... I wonder why... 😑

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I love this poll great idea @Ducky_shot thanks. People ask these questions a lot nice to see it all out in front of me and easy to find.

Edited by clammboy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I love this poll great idea @Ducky_shot thanks. People ask these questions a lot nice to see it all out in front me and easy to find.

it works until the next ship for each resource comes out and then everyone is helpless until it's included. 😄

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

No love for Gato... I wonder why... 😑

Imagine finding more people that voted for Halford than Gato. 

Yes it’s a sub, and it’s for a much rarer resource. And of course the recent change was not nice to it. But it’s also Halford

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

it works until the next ship for each resource comes out and then everyone is helpless until it's included. 😄

Of course they would be. That was an old poll, and now that there’s one more ship added the other 95%+ from the old poll is worthless!

They're also often helpless on Reddit when the poll matches the available ships too, though… why search for an old post and read it when you can just make another post asking the same question as every other resource ship post?

• Haha 1

Have voted. I have most of the ships but not all steel ships yet. All coal and RB are in my port.

Is comp cb, ranked, tournaments or all of them? Because the answerd differ between them. Example, Schlieffen, great ranked boat that nobody plays in cb. 

3 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Is comp cb, ranked, tournaments or all of them? Because the answerd differ between them. Example, Schlieffen, great ranked boat that nobody plays in cb. 

Good question!  I would assume "generally speaking," the competitive battle would be just about anything PvP in this case - I could be way off the mark, however.

If one wanted to, one could really further define this type of ship list - Clan Battles, Ranked, etc.  I'm kind of looking at the list as more generic for competitive battles.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Imagine finding more people that voted for Halford than Gato. 

Yes it’s a sub, and it’s for a much rarer resource. And of course the recent change was not nice to it. But it’s also Halford

I have both the Halford and the Gato in my Port, and I enjoy playing each of them.  
Go figure, eh?  😉 

18 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

The reason I choose high skilled players for this poll is that they are typically more invested in the game, have more resources, have obtained more of the ships, are involved with their clan mates and others in discussions and games where they are min maxing the ships to use to their greatest strengths.

Sound.

18 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Competitive was left to their interpretation.

IMO this was a mistake; it would have been interesting to see the degree to which ship selections of the high-level players change between Ranked and CB, or even Clan Battles and KOTS for those teams which have done both. 

It would also have been interesting to see where previously-available but now withdrawn ships sit on this list.

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

IMO this was a mistake; it would have been interesting to see the degree to which ship selections of the high-level players change between Ranked and CB, or even Clan Battles and KOTS for those teams which have done both. 

It would also have been interesting to see where previously-available but now withdrawn ships sit on this list.

No one should be using their resources just to obtain a ship to play in KOTS since WG provides press accounts for the tournament.

6 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

3 hours ago, HogHammer said:

Good question!  I would assume "generally speaking," the competitive battle would be just about anything PvP in this case - I could be way off the mark, however.

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

IMO this was a mistake; it would have been interesting to see the degree to which ship selections of the high-level players change between Ranked and CB,

The concensus on high level clans for competitve mode is restricted to CB (and Tournaments as extension). Ranked is not generally considered a competitive mode (there's múltiple reason). 

So Competitive=high level CB

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

No one should be using their resources just to obtain a ship to play in KOTS since WG provides press accounts for the tournament.

That goes without saying. But tell me how many people show up to KOTS driving ships they only have access to because of that press account, as opposed to how many choose their KOTS mount(s) on the basis of how familiar and comfortable they are with them through long experience.

Also, not every ship a player might own and enjoy for general play is necessarily one they would consider appropriate to King of the Sea (or is even permitted to be there). 

image.png.3841dff0aa5a21dc34ecd8b5ac277eab.png

37 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

That goes without saying. But tell me how many people show up to KOTS driving ships they only have access to because of that press account, as opposed to how many choose their KOTS mount(s) on the basis of how familiar and comfortable they are with them through long experience.

Also, not every ship a player might own and enjoy for general play is necessarily one they would consider appropriate to King of the Sea (or is even permitted to be there). 

image.png.3841dff0aa5a21dc34ecd8b5ac277eab.png

You have access far enough in advance that you can scrim with the account and get familiar with the ship if you haven't played it. It happens, especially with players that may not have access to their regular accounts, have restarted accounts and rely on the KOTS press accounts having anything they need. The teams I played with, you don't really choose your KOTS mount as much as you are told what you are playing. You have a role based on what you are good at and you will be expected to spec several specific ships that fulfill that role. Based on ship bans, you have little notice of things changing based on your strat and expected ship. There are slight nuances and the players that I play with can get quite comfortable with specific ship's nuances after a couple scrim games. If a ship is better at something specifically, and that is their role, they should be fine with a jumping into a ship that is better at that role.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Doesn't seem like something that would happen outside of the lowest ranking participants in KoTS tbh. Certainly not any of the high level clans asked as part of the first set of data. 

• 3 weeks later...