Temper, Temper - 1st Mission. Really?

Musket22

5 hours ago, Frostbow said:

Someone inside Wargaming must hate Asymmetric Battles with a burning passion. 😂

What they hate is how popular it is and that impacts the holy Randoms queue. Can't have that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

What they hate is how popular it is and that impacts the holy Randoms queue. Can't have that.

You nailed it, if Asymmetric Battles were permanent, a lot of people would stop playing Randoms and WG would have to admit, that at least in it's current state, it's just no fun.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

You nailed it, if Asymmetric Battles were permanent, a lot of people would stop playing Randoms and WG would have to admit, that at least in it's current state, it's just no fun.

To be honest I think Asymmetric Battles impacts both random and coop as people get bored with coop and frustrated with randoms. It seems like a good mix of both for many.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not a CV main, but will do the spotting damage mission.  Still grinding Yorktown, plus have temp placed Midway and Audacious in my carousel to finish out a specific campaign.  After only 4 co-op games, I have taken a substantial bite out of that spotting mission, so it seems more efficient than some other missions, for me anyway.  So that leaves the cruiser PD mission for me, as I am grinding and regrinding many cruiser lines - not having any problems here.  In addition to the 4 easier tasks this week, it really doesn't seem so bad.

On 5/17/2024 at 3:56 AM, AdmiralThunder said:

So, if you are WILLING as a PVE player to TRY Randoms to do the 5 Achievement task grab a T5 BB and it shouldn't be too bad for you...

I took your advice, Admiral. 10-12 games in Oklahoma and I had my achievements. I won't claim that I played well, but the task was done.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, oldblackdog said:

I took your advice, Admiral. 10-12 games in Oklahoma and I had my achievements. I won't claim that I played well, but the task was done.

Good job and double congrat's for doing it in Oklahoma which is so slow with such a long reload. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, clammboy said:

To be honest I think Asymmetric Battles impacts both random and coop as people get bored with coop and frustrated with randoms. It seems like a good mix of both for many.

I haven’t personally played Asym but from what I gather reading comments the bots seem more like the old Co-op ones from before the shooting nerf in 0.10.6. Would be nice to see the old bot shooting ability restored to Co-op.

• Like 2

Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

I haven’t personally played Asym but from what I gather reading comments the bots seem more like the old Co-op ones from before the shooting nerf in 0.10.6. Would be nice to see the old bot shooting ability restored to Co-op.

I'm amazed that you didn't give it a try mate.

Aside from a few irritants, I loved it.

• It has limited maps available.
  • While the bots might shoot better ... they still collide with each other and don't react to the fact that they've collided.
  • You never spawn on the other side of the map.

Beyond that ... it's like the old 2-7 bugged days with fewer bots on your side to get in your way. attacksmiley.gif.4d061b61f4911ba47948179d43cc0d32.gifcap_rambo_small.gif.8de176d0f6a1b0a6f065ee9268691e48.gif

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I really think you should give it a try Admiral I personally think you would enjoy it from reading your posts over the years.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2024 at 4:11 PM, I_cant_Swim_ said:

Yelp.

Folks, I'm a bit disheartened. How should I finish these missions in a few days? This trio looks to me like 100 matches in all. How will you /did you do it? Which ships scream "Kick me" loudest? Which divorce attorney do you recommend?

image.thumb.png.a4b45293ac627ebdd6dd604a1fcc5447.png

I tried doing the potential damage BB and spotting missions in ranked, took a few dozen games and some heartache but finally done. Sinop/Heinrich for BB and Jervis seem to work well for the tech tree ships. For the ship collectors, Haida/Huron/Jupiter 42 and Scharnhorst 43 seem quite popular choices in the queue.

Guildmate recommended Boise/Nueve de Julio for the cruiser one as it has a very strong repair party.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:
  • While the bots might shoot better ... they still collide with each other and don't react to the fact that they've collided.

Well in all honestiy that looks like a proper "machine learning" or AI stuff TBH as I got hit by a real player in a WV44 yesterday while grinding out York and we got "glued" as sometimes happens and he just kept pushing me sideways for like 2-3 min until I was able to break loose by myself as he completely ignored the problem...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

Well in all honestiy that looks like a proper "machine learning" or AI stuff TBH as I got hit by a real player in a WV44 yesterday while grinding out York and we got "glued" as sometimes happens and he just kept pushing me sideways for like 2-3 min until I was able to break loose by myself as he completely ignored the problem...

True ... when the players are too stupid to recognise what's going on, it's a bit much to castigate the bots for doing the same thing facepalmsmiley.gif.dc696cfbf23e3f4aab9dce896eba2993.gif

• Like 1

23 hours ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

and whats fun in shooting bots that are sailing straight?

This just reminds me of hunters who shoot animals with optics and say that they are having fun, well good for you

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

This just reminds me of hunters who shoot animals with optics and say that they are having fun, well good for you

Loads of fun, I don't get the clutching the game adrenaline as often as you do in pvp but I also don't need that to enjoy Wows. 

Not everyone is blessed with good eyesight either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

I found the dodging of the DDs quite effective at medium and long ranges. BBs and cruisers will enter and leave the cap circles and then circle back if they haven't managed to cap. It's definitely an improvement over the programming in COOP.

The bots ARE predictable, especially once you've played a map multiple times, but they appear to have a wider range of options available to them in terms of reacting to player strategy.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I found the dodging of the DDs quite effective at medium and long ranges. BBs and cruisers will enter and leave the cap circles and then circle back if they haven't managed to cap. It's definitely an improvement over the programming in COOP.

The bots ARE predictable, especially once you've played a map multiple times, but they appear to have a wider range of options available to them in terms of reacting to player strategy.

oh man you are trying to elevate scripted bots, pls dont

50 minutes ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

+1

• Like 1

It has been 4 days since I started Temper, Temper and much to my surprise, it has been way more fun compared the previous weekly combat missions of the Dockyard.

image.thumb.png.1b0df4d5dc278b387def1eaa31b12284.png

The achievements mission was very easy—just two battles in Ultimate Frontier, with the Cleveland exceeding what was required on the second attempt.

shot-24_05.18_00_50.29-0927.thumb.jpg.af4d5b19c0ee495a41020d0374133f14.jpg

I did the potential damage missions for cruisers and battleships, and while I had success in farming potential damage in Random Battles that ultimately resulted to Victory, it has been in Co-op that the hilarity of it all ensued, non-stop.

Literally it was GK's show. I just press W and the enemy bots will do the rest. Just watching the German battleship absorb hit after hit, salvo after salvo, while angling to where the greatest firepower is, has been a totally different experience in Co-op. One time, I engaged auto pilot, and just allowed the ship to run its course. The result was 2 kills and 1.3M potential damage. LOL!

I usually get 1,100,000 to 1,300,000 potential damage in less than 7 minutes, without the risk of fighting against players who could also be trying to farm potential damage.

And sometimes it can go as high as 2,000,000! 

shot-24_05.20_10_23.30-0326.thumb.jpg.0b3791e6d6d70f1f912839e90dc222cd.jpg

shot-24_05.20_00_06.56-0319.thumb.jpg.42f41a9f49220d671ba29230e429c197.jpg

shot-24_05.20_00_15.14-0087.thumb.jpg.98b4b2f3f34777aafdeef18efa2041e9.jpg

shot-24_05.20_00_25.34-0415.thumb.jpg.a0d3b11c7c8f6c8f9bd0edaa9f05093e.jpg

shot-24_05.20_01_11.17-0509.thumb.jpg.268e420353258f71ac21fac55722edf0.jpg

shot-24_05.20_10_55.35-0889.thumb.jpg.f238a12637cb6bac1b283895f864c16d.jpg

I'm trying to avoid Random Battles for now. It was strange seeing enemy battleships just kiting and not firing their guns at all. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I post here to succesfully report all of the "Temper, Temper" combat mission set is finished.
This is gonna make the next 2 way easier image.thumb.png.4c8648b5f7d55338b90b9f8699652523.png

Edited by AlexGuy
  • Like 2

Four battles in Giulio Cesare and this mission was done. And it took so long only because I was a potaturd in the first battle and got zero achievements. Got seven in the next three.

On 5/13/2024 at 5:13 PM, Musket22 said:

In the next phase (Temper, Temper) of the BB Wisconsin dockyard build,

The first Mission is to get 5 Achievements.

If only they would bring back 'Achievements' in Co-Op!

so, I easily scored the 5 achievements within a day doing Operations.

The hang up currently is the potential damage missions of the BBs/Cruisers.

Not that I am in a rush as I have unlocked Wisconsin, but those are the only ones that have hung me up from completing this portion of the Drydock event before the weekend ended.

Ok, I take it  back about the "Temper, Temper"  5 achievements.

I took only BBs to also get 'tanked' damage and it took me 7 Operations outtings for 5.

Brandenburg B, KII, Brandenburg, Odin, Zieten, Tirpitz B & Monarch.

IMO it took me that long because of being away from Operations for several years.

Presently at 29.2 M of 42 M for the tanking but that wikk resolve itself soon.

3 hours ago, AlexGuy said:

I post here to succesfully report all of the "Temper, Temper" combat mission set is finished.
This is gonna make the next 2 way easier image.thumb.png.4c8648b5f7d55338b90b9f8699652523.png

Have you seen the missions for next week? 

Just now, CFagan_1987 said:

Have you seen the missions for next week? 

They're absolutely okay for me coming up in 2 days, as an European. I'm a different breed.

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 6:21 PM, AlexGuy said:

While Scharnhorst '43 could be nice for grinding these combat missions in Operations and Randoms, there is an issue. The 40,000,000 potential damage mission is a pain in the ass, especially when you have to use a good secondaries battleship for doing this. Renown '44 is ruled out because this ship is a battlecruiser, has poor turret traverse and poor armor. However, the torpedo tubes, main guns and secondaries are very excellent.

Next up, i've got to do this same type of mission, except in a cruiser and 2/3 the potential damage, 30,000,000. The only ship i could use is the Tier 8 heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen, which is even worse than what the previous battleship one has offered when playing Operations. Luckily, thank God i have Admiral Schroder for Co-op's.

The issue with Scharnhorst '43 is because the shell-fusing of the main guns was reduced to allow for reliably penetrating battleships, this could have been fixed differently by applying either improved AP penetration or improved AP pen angles, preferrably both given the current game formula and frequent uptiers Tier 7 ships constantly get. In terms of brawling, the secondaries and HE shells won't be enough. For some reason, WG had the idea to "increase" fire chance of the secondaries at the cost of reducing their damage output. They even took away the original reduced cooldown 60-second heal while the armor and DCP tank like crap. Though the ship has Engine Boost, this definitely isn't enough, because also providing improved acceleration wouldn't simply make the ship more unique, this could allow for better dodging shells and flanking. Now, the torpedo tubes... These are very useless since they get knocked out very often to the point of not even being able to bring them on target, not to mention the poor damage even on lower-tier targets, especially when factoring in torpedo protection. Lastly, the ship's speed. Obviously, during sea trials of the real Scharnhorst battleship, the max speed was 31,5 knots unlike in-game, which should be Scharnhorst '43's base speed, unlike the 30 knots which is pure copy and paste from the original ship, since the speed flag is not enough, and fully being able to pull 38 knots in a brawler would be awesome.

In my opinion, Scharnhorst '43 could be fixed in the following ways:
- Improving the main guns by providing either improved AP penetration or improved AP pen angles, even both to properly allow for equally citadelling battleships and cruisers with short-fuse AP shells, and further increasing the HE fire chance for 283mm. guns.
- Adding back the 60-second heal.
- Improving secondary damage since there isn't really any sense to decrease this in exchange for HE fire chance.
- Reducing the reload time of 150mm. secondary guns to at least 0,9 seconds for consistency.
- Providing a base speed of 31,5 knots and improved acceleration for the ship.
- Making the torpedo tubes indestructible and increasing torpedo damage.
- Changing up the Fighter consumable slot with Rapid Takeoff Spotter.

Additional post to my Scharnhorst '43 review:

Also, they could improve the West Virginia '44 by adding Engine Boost, an improved heal rate similar to the Vermont line, either improved AP penetration or improved AP pen angles with preferrably both, improved HE fire chance for the secondaries, improved secondary gun penetration, ability to slot Hydro in place of DFAA to spot incoming torpedoes, and improved hull plating or actual hitbox model redesign to counteract the constant issue of 26mm. casemate absorbing all of the shots like California instead of bouncing them when angled whenever encountering ships like the Kansas who's guns feel like 18-inch for a Tier 7.

Edited by AlexGuy