Temper, Temper - 1st Mission. Really?

Musket22

Posted (edited)

This is what I mean about take a T5 BB to Randoms if you are a PVE player as you are likely to get some T4/T5 games and probably with a lot of bots (see below). It took me just 2 games to do the 5 Achievement task in Konig (see post on page 2) on my main acct and only 1 game on my alt acct also in Konig (see 1st page - I did that one 1st). It will probably suck if you end up bottom tier vs T7's but just a couple games vs a bunch of T4/T5's, and even better if those games have a bunch of bots, and you can do it pretty easy. Random bots are as bad as Co-op bots.

So anyway, after playing those 2 Konig games above that got my 5 Achievements, and splitting 1-1, I decided to play another T5 BB game just for fun and to try and give a small bump to the WR. Took Giulio Cesare this time and got a perfect T4/T5 game with mostly bots (3 humans + 9 bots p/ side). Got SIX Achievements in this one. I should have taken it instead of Konig LOL.

So, if you are WILLING as a PVE player to TRY Randoms to do the 5 Achievement task grab a T5 BB and it shouldn't be too bad for you especially if you get T4/T5 MM with some bots. GC is a good choice if you have it but honestly Konig is my 1st choice because as good as GC is Konig is a little tougher with an almost unhittable citadel. If you get down Konig will hold up better to focus fire than GC will plus with a secondary build you can grab some CQE's (I got a rare one with GC in the game I just played). In the 4 games played (3 on my main and 1 on the alt) I have got 16 Achievements! 

spacer.png

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 5/14/2024 at 12:57 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

Also, at T5 the game play is closer to Co-op with people getting close and actually fighting vs the long range camp and snipe games you find at high tiers.

Basically why I quit Randoms.

I'm her to fight/play; not engage in ballroom dance.

On 5/16/2024 at 6:15 AM, SunkCostFallacy said:

We'll see mate ... I appreciate the offer 🙂

Who knows ... I may get a BB urge next week and go yolo-ing in my GK, that's always good for PD.

Currently, however, the PVP-filth (just kidding guys) are muddying the waters in COOP. Hopefully in a few days they'll go back to Randoms and things will be a bit less untidy. But I've got 26 days to finish off those missions and one from Phase 7 so there's no rush.

You are more than welcome to join our evening (most nights) OP team.  Once " I was reminded" that Ops achievements were valid, it took three Ops to get five Achievements.

We're on several nights a week.  Look to see if I am on-line and let me know you want to Division.  We prefer you be on Discord cause we actually talk to each other to coordinate our actions.

15 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Basically why I quit Randoms.

I'm her to fight/play; not engage in ballroom dance.

It is just the way it is. Lower tiers usually involve a playstyle different from what we usually encounter at higher tiers. High tiers on the other hand, where a single mistake can be fatal for the entire team, is played rather differently. Both involve fighting, taking calculated risks, and dealing and tanking damage, among others. In PVE, Asymmetric has so far been the closest to PVP (at least for me) in terms of having a different way of doing things for low and high tiers. 

1 hour ago, Asym said:

You are more than welcome to join our evening (most nights) OP team.  Once " I was reminded" that Ops achievements were valid, it took three Ops to get five Achievements.

We're on several nights a week.  Look to see if I am on-line and let me know you want to Division.  We prefer you be on Discord cause we actually talk to each other to coordinate our actions.

Might give Ops a try; but WG’s ‘Random Ops’ has been a turn off for me on par with 0.8.0.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 2:59 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Randoms, ranked and brawls offer achievements, and scenario operations offer achievements.
It's merely a question of which ones qualify?

Yo Wolfie...brawls do not & never have had achievements... that's why they're not listed as an option...

Might wanna edit that out of the 2nd comment in the thread...might cause some confusion.

• Thanks 1

Grinding the tier VIII Commonwealth ship via random Ops  in 2 matches achievements reached. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 11:49 PM, I_cant_Swim_ said:

@SolitudeFreak Thanks. I don't quite get it, though. I just used a Massa in Ops. 8 kills, then 7 kills. About 600,000 potential damage, then about 500,000. 42 million divided by that output is what got me worried... Is COOP that much better? Never really looked closely at my potential damage scores before...

Little tip for co-op potential damage tasks...

Bots have a target lock mentality...once they lock on a target they stay locked on it as long as that target stays detected/dies/or they die...

Sail into the wide open & don't wait for the bots to be spotted to fire (there are no causing damage missions so if your shells are wasted it's no matter)...fire 1st & be the 1st ship spotted by the bots & they will all lock onto you...just don't run & hide behind an island because as soon as you do they look for another target & won't target you again until that target dies or goes undetected.

Whether in cruiser or BB try not to dodge too much because potential damage only triggers if the ordinance (shell/torps/bombs/etc) is less than .7km from your ship.

So dodge the shots coming for your cit but don't try to avoid everything or you'll negate it all.

Try to thread between torps as opposed to avoiding them by a wide margin...lots of potential damage wasted if you turn too far away.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:
On 5/13/2024 at 5:59 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Randoms, ranked and brawls offer achievements, and scenario operations offer achievements.
It's merely a question of which ones qualify?

Yo Wolfie...brawls do not & never have had achievements... that's why they're not listed as an option...

Might wanna edit that out of the 2nd comment in the thread...might cause some confusion.

Too late to edit it.
But the correct answers were provide and shared a few posts down from my first post.

https://www.devstrike.net/topic/3831-temper-temper-1st-mission-really/?do=findComment&comment=52141

On 5/17/2024 at 2:04 AM, Utt_Bugglier said:

Sometimes you get away with it.

Yes, but only sometimes. And it is fun. And I've seen it done sometimes that eventually resulted to victory. It's hilarious when it happens. 😄

But as a strat to farm achievements—use the fastest French DD and yolo, as suggested by Ensign—I can't recommend it. Irresponsible, reckless, and selfish. 

20 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

This is what I mean about take a T5 BB to Randoms if you are a PVE player as you are likely to get some T4/T5 games and probably with a lot of bots (see below). It took me just 2 games to do the 5 Achievement task in Konig (see post on page 2) on my main acct and only 1 game on my alt acct also in Konig (see 1st page - I did that one 1st). It will probably suck if you end up bottom tier vs T7's but just a couple games vs a bunch of T4/T5's, and even better if those games have a bunch of bots, and you can do it pretty easy. Random bots are as bad as Co-op bots.

So anyway, after playing those 2 Konig games above that got my 5 Achievements, and splitting 1-1, I decided to play another T5 BB game just for fun and to try and give a small bump to the WR. Took Giulio Cesare this time and got a perfect T4/T5 game with mostly bots (3 humans + 9 bots p/ side). Got SIX Achievements in this one. I should have taken it instead of Konig LOL.

So, if you are WILLING as a PVE player to TRY Randoms to do the 5 Achievement task grab a T5 BB and it shouldn't be too bad for you especially if you get T4/T5 MM with some bots. GC is a good choice if you have it but honestly Konig is my 1st choice because as good as GC is Konig is a little tougher with an almost unhittable citadel. If you get down Konig will hold up better to focus fire than GC will plus with a secondary build you can grab some CQE's (I got a rare one with GC in the game I just played). In the 4 games played (3 on my main and 1 on the alt) I have got 16 Achievements! 

spacer.png

This is the way. Very well said, and most importantly, backed by actual, live server examples. 👍👍

On 5/16/2024 at 2:49 PM, I_cant_Swim_ said:

@SolitudeFreak Thanks. I don't quite get it, though. I just used a Massa in Ops. 8 kills, then 7 kills. About 600,000 potential damage, then about 500,000. 42 million divided by that output is what got me worried... Is COOP that much better? Never really looked closely at my potential damage scores before...

If you have a tanky cruiser such as the Moskva, set her up for zero concealment, and bring her to Co-op.

Attract the bot's attention as early as you can and when battle is joined, focus on deflecting incoming salvoes and torpedoes. 

I had a lot of fun earning at least 1,000,000 potential damage every 4 minutes in Co-op. And when the match maker provides a Mino or Wooster or Colbert or any high DPM cruiser, the amount of potential damage I get can go as high as 2.0 million.

If there is a bot Schlieffen I go near it. Her secondaries and her torpedoes give juicy potential damage figures. Same with Dutch cruisers like the Gouden. Her airstrikes are amazing potential damage providers.

Now if you spawn left flank or right flank and the high DPM bots are on the other side and are not shooting at you, sink it first so that those players facing the high DPM bots will get reduced Potential Damage. 😂😂😂

• Like 1

I got a close quarters expert last night in Furutaka. That was unexpected. And another game in Vlad the Vostock I got over 4.5 million potential bow tanking 4 ships including a Gouden Leeeuw - most of the PD came from him.

• Like 2

I played one match in kami this morning got 2xdevstrike, high caliber and confederate easy, since I am on call today cant play more bit I see no problem in getting the last one the same way I got the 4 I already got if I dont get it by just farming other stuff…

Pot damage on cruisers will be done with my lighthouse Colbert, everybody shoots that thing

11 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Little tip for co-op potential damage tasks...

Bots have a target lock mentality...once they lock on a target they stay locked on it as long as that target stays detected/dies/or they die...

Sail into the wide open & don't wait for the bots to be spotted to fire (there are no causing damage missions so if your shells are wasted it's no matter)...fire 1st & be the 1st ship spotted by the bots & they will all lock onto you...just don't run & hide behind an island because as soon as you do they look for another target & won't target you again until that target dies or goes undetected.

Whether in cruiser or BB try not to dodge too much because potential damage only triggers if the ordinance (shell/torps/bombs/etc) is less than .7km from your ship.

So dodge the shots coming for your cit but don't try to avoid everything or you'll negate it all.

Try to thread between torps as opposed to avoiding them by a wide margin...lots of potential damage wasted if you turn too far away.

This works so well.  Conde in Coop got the requirement in 24 matches.

shot-24.05.16_19.21.05-0063.jpg

shot-24.05.16_19.26.50-0766.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

While Scharnhorst '43 could be nice for grinding these combat missions in Operations and Randoms, there is an issue. The 40,000,000 potential damage mission is a pain in the ass, especially when you have to use a good secondaries battleship for doing this. Renown '44 is ruled out because this ship is a battlecruiser, has poor turret traverse and poor armor. However, the torpedo tubes, main guns and secondaries are very excellent.

Next up, i've got to do this same type of mission, except in a cruiser and 2/3 the potential damage, 30,000,000. The only ship i could use is the Tier 8 heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen, which is even worse than what the previous battleship one has offered when playing Operations. Luckily, thank God i have Admiral Schroder for Co-op's.

The issue with Scharnhorst '43 is because the shell-fusing of the main guns was reduced to allow for reliably penetrating battleships, this could have been fixed differently by applying either improved AP penetration or improved AP pen angles, preferrably both given the current game formula and frequent uptiers Tier 7 ships constantly get. In terms of brawling, the secondaries and HE shells won't be enough. For some reason, WG had the idea to "increase" fire chance of the secondaries at the cost of reducing their damage output. They even took away the original reduced cooldown 60-second heal while the armor and DCP tank like crap. Though the ship has Engine Boost, this definitely isn't enough, because also providing improved acceleration wouldn't simply make the ship more unique, this could allow for better dodging shells and flanking. Now, the torpedo tubes... These are very useless since they get knocked out very often to the point of not even being able to bring them on target, not to mention the poor damage even on lower-tier targets, especially when factoring in torpedo protection. Lastly, the ship's speed. Obviously, during sea trials of the real Scharnhorst battleship, the max speed was 31,5 knots unlike in-game, which should be Scharnhorst '43's base speed, unlike the 30 knots which is pure copy and paste from the original ship, since the speed flag is not enough, and fully being able to pull 38 knots in a brawler would be awesome.

In my opinion, Scharnhorst '43 could be fixed in the following ways:
- Improving the main guns by providing either improved AP penetration or improved AP pen angles, even both to properly allow for equally citadelling battleships and cruisers with short-fuse AP shells, and further increasing the HE fire chance for 283mm. guns.
- Adding back the 60-second heal.
- Improving secondary damage since there isn't really any sense to decrease this in exchange for HE fire chance.
- Reducing the reload time of 150mm. secondary guns to at least 0,9 seconds for consistency.
- Providing a base speed of 31,5 knots and improved acceleration for the ship.
- Making the torpedo tubes indestructible and increasing torpedo damage.
- Changing up the Fighter consumable slot with Rapid Takeoff Spotter.

Edited by AlexGuy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexGuy said:

Next up, i've got to do this same type of mission, except in a cruiser and half the potential damage, 20,000,000. The only ship i could use is the Tier 8 heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen, which is even worse than what the previous battleship one has offered.

I have bad news for you, it's 30 000 000 of potential damage, took me some time to accumulate.

13 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

I have bad news for you, it's 30 000 000 of potential damage, took me some time to accumulate.

My bad. I edited the full post if you wanna take a read.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DoW_ said:

Glad it worked out for you...I always use Salem just in case the bots get some lucky shots in & I need to reprint the ship...

I bee line for center of map (no matter where I spawn) & start firing 30 seconds in & in no time the IFA is spastically flashing red & it's on.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DoW_ said:

Can confirm. Conde facing a bot Edgar (with its DPM and Torpedoes) is perfect. It can result into more than 2,000,000 Potential Damage. 

This is what I did to help speed up the 30M PD cruiser task.

image.png.0d9cca33affbbc7e4af04d8621f911

My only reservation is that it is not profitable if the bots refuse to shoot my super cruiser. And not all the time there is an Edgar or an Annapolis firing on my ship. 

I went back to using Tier Xs, mainly the Moskva. It can still absorb a lot of potential damage and when the match is not optimal for PD farming, there is no worry about the net credits it can give.

Well ... it just popped up to tell me that I'd completed the 30 million PD in a cruiser mission.

It took far too long. Pretty strange given that before the previous patch I was seeing about 750k average PD per match in my Salem with the lighthouse build. I'd hazard a guess that my PD during the last few days averaged significantly under 500k per match.

But perhaps not THAT strange considering that the matches appear to be flooded with DDs who charge forward as fast as they can and spam smoke everywhere. Oh ... that's right, there's a DD spotting damage mission on as well. Mind you ... the DD's aren't having it all their own way, as I seem to be seeing a lot of CVs who are doing their spotting mission.

I, for one, am looking forward to the <expletive deleted> Dockyard being over so that the PVP types can go back to Randoms.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I, for one, am looking forward to the <expletive deleted> Dockyard being over so that the PVP types can go back to Randoms.

😄

I emphatize. It will be over soon. 

10 minutes ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

flooded with DDs who charge forward as fast as they can and spam smoke everywhere.

That's what I do not like about Co-op. Destroyers usually have the huge advantage. 

• Like 1

If only Asymmetric was permanent or stayed for a few extra weeks while the grindiest parts of the missions began lol.

• Like 1

(Plays two Mammy and one Enty...)

Yeah; not gonna waste my time on the first mission.

I hate Random Ops.

I hate WG's magical bot fairness, which they amplify in Ops.

At least during Flake season I get bypass tickets.

1 hour ago, MashedPotatoSalad said:

If only Asymmetric was permanent or stayed for a few extra weeks while the grindiest parts of the missions began lol.

Someone inside Wargaming must hate Asymmetric Battles with a burning passion. 😂

• Sad 1