Just when you thought it was safe.......

Lord_Slayer

16 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Indeed.  🙂 

Well, I have a different explanation. 
These Commanders are also cross-trained for Underwater Demolition Team work, and that is merely their working uniform.
Sure, their training may have been kept secret for a while.  But now, this summer event has given them an opportunity to 'flaunt it'.  🙂 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_Demolition_Team

navysealmuseum.org-gallery-WWII-03-768x5  
https://www.navysealmuseum.org/exhibits/world-war-ii-gallery/attachment/navysealmuseum-org-gallery-wwii-03

They look... different... somehow.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Well, I have a different explanation. 

Yeah, gonna beg to differ on this one. 

Dasha had style and class. These two are the flipside of the coin. Next to them, even Ashley Violet looks staid and professional. 

At the end of the day, my gut feeling says "Oversexualized Latin American stereotype", and it would be interesting to know what the LATAM CC's and CM's think. 

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

They look... different... somehow.

Same badge, but more "chest" to pin it on?  😉 
175px-USN_-_UDT_Officer.png 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Dasha had style and class. These two are the flipside of the coin. Next to them, even Ashley Violet looks staid and professional. 

At the end of the day, my gut feeling says "Oversexualized Latin American stereotype", and it would be interesting to know what the LATAM CC's and CM's think. 

Aye, so true. There's no replacing Dasha.

image.jpeg.846afb29da4ff6ce56ee0b4fb41a5080.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

While we are joking around a bit, here, there is something I want to mention on a somewhat more serious note.
The amount of clothing a person is wearing has nothing to do with their brains or their human dignity.

There is zero need for us to "project" our personal interpretations upon Commanders we've not even heard the voices of, yet.  🙂 
Give them a chance to prove themselves in your own ports, eh?

Heck, in Star Trek the "mini-skirt/dress" uniform was originally intended to be "empowering".  

The mini skirt trend arrived in response to the restrictive fashions of the 1950s, overlapping with the women’s liberation movement. And as actress Nichelle Nichols explained, Star Trek‘s utopian setting emphasized the idea that “in the 23rd century, you are respected for your abilities regardless of what you do or do not wear.”
https://cashmeremag.com/star-trek-minidress-history-analysis-video-1241256/

There are other eplanations and discussions that turned-up while I was researching the Star Trek mini-dress phenomena.
I'll enclose a couple of samples & links.

Grace Lee Whitney didn’t mind her uniform on TOS

When Star Trek: The Original Series began airing in 1966, all of the female crewmembers wore short skirts and boots. To this day, fans have complained that it wasn’t fair for the men to be able to wear pants while the women had to wear the teeny outfits they did. But Grace Lee Whitney didn’t have a problem with the short skirt. In fact, it was her idea.

When publicity photos were still making the rounds before the show’s premiere, Whitney was shown dressed like the women from the original pilots, wearing a gold-colored tunic and black pants. But she wasn’t too thrilled with the outfit because, as she told Gene Roddenberry, the pants hid her “dancer’s legs.”

Another uniform was designed for Grace Lee Whitney

Taking her complaint into consideration, Roddenberry told William Ware Theiss, who was the costume designer at the time, to design a short skirt and a tunic for her to wear. And what Theiss came up with pleased Whitney immensely as she called it “sensational” and said that “it stopped traffic.”

And though many of the actors might have considered the outfit sexist, Yeoman Rand’s new uniform was then passed on to the other female characters in the series. Whether or not they wanted to show off their legs, they had Whitney to thank for putting them on display.

Granted, the skirts weren’t practical aboard a starship where all sorts of adventures were taking place, which was probably one of the reasons why Majel Barrett Roddenberry was wearing pants in the original pilot, The Cage. There’s really no way of knowing how many of the actors objected to the mini-skirts, but we now know Grace Lee Whitney embraced the look.
https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2021/05/04/grace-lee-whitney-wanted-to-wear-a-short-skirt-on-tos/

And then there is "Zapp Brannigan" from the Futurama television series.  🙂 
Zapp_promo.png&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=f223c55f7c 
https://futurama.fandom.com/wiki/Zapp_Brannigan
"... Probably one of Brannigan's most well-known features is his lack of pants, which he deems "for the weak." ..."

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Aye, so true. There's no replacing Dasha.

image.jpeg.846afb29da4ff6ce56ee0b4fb41a5080.jpeg

th?id=OIP.HGtkT_yssN1jfb8m0COpSgHaEI%26p 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The amount of clothing a person is wearing has nothing to do with their brains or their human dignity.

No, but contrast them...

image.png.669ff8fec894f9e38b5042e5a1409d67.png

with this:

Image image.png.3e06cd049b3a20f4afe5e3243ccadb95.png

The point is not the lack of clothing. Neither of these two are wearing much more than the two new captains, and if I wanted to and if @HogHammer would allow it, I'm sure I could find a picture of an action chick who's wearing even less. Both the ladies I've posted look ready to fight their way through a fantasy doorstopper novel (and Grace Jones's pic is from an actual Conan movie); the new captains are doing nothing but presenting themselves as seductive in a stereotyped fashion. One of them is even teasing starting to undress for the benefit of the viewer. 

It's not just what they're wearing (or not wearing); it's everything else about how they're portrayed. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

It's not just what they're wearing (or not wearing); it's everything else about how they're portrayed. 

I read your entire post (and I've seen the referenced movie and have the soundtrack on CD).

But, I'm getting the impression that the "eye of the beholder" principle is applying here.  
You and others seem to be making judgements, and jokes, but judgements too. 
And you're claiming what?  That only tsundere characters are worthwhile?
Dee-Dee from the cartoon Dexter's Laboratory was "smarter than she looked", and taught Dexter how to play his role-playing-game character to its fullest potential and save the day.

Personally, I'm simply willing to wait & see. 
I plan to welcome these Commanders to my Port, and then evaluate their performances in battle.
No need for me to start judging books by their covers, eh?  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's so sad to see a once great game de evolve into [pick a word(s).]   Now, if the game presented WW2 pin-ups or Rosie the Riveter calendar pictures that are still being produced by Female Veterans for charities, that's another story....  Tasteful and Historic versus what we now are seeing.....

Oh my, what a decline IMO.   

• Like 4
  • Bored 1

1 minute ago, Asym said:

It's so sad to see a once great game de evolve into [pick a word(s).]   Now, if the game presented WW2 pin-ups or Rosie the Riveter calendar pictures that are still being produced by Female Veterans for charities, that's another story....  Tasteful and Historic versus what we now are seeing.....

Pin-Ups  For  Vets
A Nonprofit Organization 501(c)(3)
https://www.pinupsforvets.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Asym said:

All this @#$% is a big reason I seldom play above T4 and generally ignore all the "grinds" for useless stuff I don't really need. Low tiers is still fun, no subs, few gimmicks.

13 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

But, I'm getting the impression that the "eye of the beholder" principle is applying here.  

Of course it is. I'm just trying to make explicitly clear the reasons why I find these two new commanders not just aesthetically displeasing but also offputting to the point where I actively want to avoid obtaining them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Asym said:

image.png.b2a07b629f0ae0afa890e6afc29bb555.png

The future is now, old man.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Asym said:

Oh my, what a decline IMO

I do see your point, Asym.  On the other hand, I see WG's point too.  And, really, they are just following suit as many other companies do.  Sexualization sells - like it or not.

Whether it's to create something to talk about, as we are doing here (mission accomplished), or to increase/attract different demographics to the game, WG is no different than any other gaming company or company in general.  This tactic is second only to the world's oldest profession 🤣.

I would really like to see more historical figures introduced into the game, but that's me.

Pick whatever commander floats your boat, is my view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My WW1 veteran Great, great, great-uncle (My Grandmothers uncle) who died in 1977 (I was 11) had a well thumbed pack of playing cards that featured naked ladies on the other side. He carried that pack of cards in his shirt pocket throughout his active service from 1914 to 1919 when he was demobbed. He left all his accoutrements to my Grandmother, who in turn still had all his stuff until she too passed away in 2004. Unfortunately all that including his set of 9 service medals all disappeared during the subsequent "cleanup" by my Aunt who was a pacifist. We suspect it all went in the garbage.

All that said, many soldiers and sailors carried far more revealing images than Rosie the riveter etc. None of those veterans would be complaining about a little bit of skin.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

Age has nothing to do with it.

Only youth and the ignorance of the wisdom age brings would make one think to think so.

Desire does not go away with age.

It's called maturity.

Everything , to include a WW  Military combat based game , does not need nearly nude women to make it more interesting.

I can't remember the Famous football coach that said it but right after a player scored a TD and jumped all over the place like a fool, he told him...

Act like you have been here before.. don't look like a fool. ( or something like that.)

Look up the story of Old Bull, Young Bull.

Lot's of " Old Man" wisdom there.

Hope it helps.

That is all

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Col_NASTY said:

Age has nothing to do with it.

I know, I was just messing around to be honest.

I do find it a little amusing that the women in swimsuits distracted everyone from the anime girls that started the thread though.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, HogHammer said:

I do see your point, Asym.  On the other hand, I see WG's point too.  And, really, they are just following suit as many other companies do.  Sexualization sells - like it or not.

Whether it's to create something to talk about, as we are doing here (mission accomplished), or to increase/attract different demographics to the game, WG is no different than any other gaming company or company in general.  This tactic is second only to the world's oldest profession 🤣.

I would really like to see more historical figures introduced into the game, but that's me.

Totally agree..

That said.

Let us SELL them if we don't want them. ( in the past you could not even dismiss them.)

When I first got here I got one of those exaggerated chested squeaky voiced commanders and she was one of my top ones.  I was embarrassed to play her so I played with the sound off.  I didn't know about hiding them etc.  One time My grandson saw her on a visit and the look he gave me ..... 

I have 3 daughters... (  one who makes up the 4th generation of Combat Vets in our family) So I DON'T have a thing about female commanders that are dressed in Military Uniforms. The others just should have their own game.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

I know, I was just messing around to be honest.

I do find it a little amusing that the women in swimsuits distracted everyone from the anime girls that started the thread though.

AHHHH , I put them both in the same category... Women in UNIFORM in a Military game. The rest is just Hormone fuel .

If your product is good enough you don't need it.

1 hour ago, UnderTheRadarAgain said:

My WW1 veteran Great, great, great-uncle (My Grandmothers uncle) who died in 1977 (I was 11) had a well thumbed pack of playing cards that featured naked ladies on the other side. He carried that pack of cards in his shirt pocket throughout his active service from 1914 to 1919 when he was demobbed. He left all his accoutrements to my Grandmother, who in turn still had all his stuff until she too passed away in 2004. Unfortunately all that including his set of 9 service medals all disappeared during the subsequent "cleanup" by my Aunt who was a pacifist. We suspect it all went in the garbage.

That's a pity, and honestly I don't think pacifism or anything else justifies the contemptible act of intentionally discarding survived belongings, not to say hard-earn military service medals of a late World War I veteran.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Of course it is. I'm just trying to make explicitly clear the reasons why I find these two new commanders not just aesthetically displeasing but also offputting to the point where I actively want to avoid obtaining them. 

Is that code-speak to indicate "My Wife is standing over my shoulder as I type this."?  🙂 
Every player gets to decide for themselves how they wish to proceed, of course.  🙂 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

With a future that bright, I'm going to wear 'shades'.  
31-sunglasses(concepts).jpg&f=1&nofb=1&i 

• Haha 1

Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

Is that code-speak to indicate "My Wife is standing over my shoulder as I type this."?

😄

No.

1 hour ago, UnderTheRadarAgain said:

Unfortunately all that including his set of 9 service medals all disappeared during the subsequent "cleanup" by my Aunt who was a pacifist. We suspect it all went in the garbage.

That's just appalling. Unforgivable.

1 hour ago, HogHammer said:

I guess I've just never seen any commanders be less... commander-y. 

2 hours ago, HogHammer said:

A previous CM told me they tried to get Admiral Grace Hopper, but her estate was unresponsive/uninterested.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

😄

No.

👍

2 hours ago, Col_NASTY said:

I can't remember the Famous football coach that said it but right after a player scored a TD and jumped all over the place like a fool, he told him...

Act like you have been here before.. don't look like a fool. ( or something like that.)

That is a Bud Grant quote.  He told his players to act like they have been there before.  In fact, he used to fine players who spiked the ball in the end zone.  

• Like 1