Recipes

Efros

Posted (edited)

Naval Recipe time again !

I completely forgot that I had a Naval Recipe created in the Pacific on a Repair ship !  They simply stayed in the Pacific for over two years;  and, it was hard to get anything "fresh from home" so........those young men from the Smokey Mountains area decided to build a BBQ sauce that simply would last anywhere and not spoil... 

They created a BBQ "pen" -  a rectangle of quonsit hut walls about 4 feet tall and 6 feet long;  2 feet of sand on the deck;  and, a steel mesh grating on top....  They used wood pallets for fuel !   Then, they needed a sauce !

Here it is and I made it yesterday for chicken  !

BBQ.JPG.b6669eadc53a1a12b5435cf6bce7f158.JPG

Edited by Asym
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Asym said:

Naval Recipe created in the Pacific on a Repair ship

👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Corned Beef Hash Pie

1 can of corned beef roughly diced 1/2" cubes
1 medium onion finely diced
2 rashers of crispy bacon finely chopped
1 lb 4oz (570g) of mashed potatoes
4oz  (115g) of shredded mature cheddar
pepper
1 egg beaten
2 x 9" rounds of short crust pastry 
Preheat your oven to 400F (205C). Put all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl and mix. If you want an even consistency then mix hard, if you want lumps of corned beef and potato then mix with a folding action. Add pepper to your taste when mixing, no need for salt the corned beef will take care of that. Line a 9" pie dish with one of the short crust rounds, spread the filling out to fill the dish leaving 1/2" pastry border. Paint the border with the beaten egg. 
Top the pie with the other crust, pinch the edges to seal them paint the top crust liberally with the beaten egg and cut some slits in the crust to prevent the pie inflating in the oven. Stick it in the oven for about 30-40 mins. It should look like this.

9d9cfd6496c5cb81a3f651f0415c1b9c.jpg

• Like 3

I would share some of my favorite recipes (some are my own and some are family ones dating back multiple generations and into the 1800's) but then I would have to kill you all so best I don't LOL.

tenor.gif?itemid=5103128

Top-Secret-foto-Giphy.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Sausage. mash and cheese pie

Very similar to the corned beef hash pie above but with pork sausage meat rather than corned beef. 

1 can of corned beef roughly diced 1/2" cubes
1 medium onion finely diced
2 rashers of crispy bacon finely chopped
1 lb  (454g) of garlic mashed potatoes
4oz  (115g) of shredded mature cheddar

3 oz (85g) of breadcrumbs
pepper
1 egg beaten
2 x 9" rounds of short crust pastry 

Preheat your oven to 400F (205C). Put all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl and mix. Mix until you get a consistent distribution of all the ingredients, if your mash is particularly wet you may have to add more breadcrumbs. Add pepper to your taste when mixing, no need for salt the cheese will take care of that. Line a 9" pie dish with one of the short crust rounds, spread the filling out to fill the dish leaving 1/2" pastry border. Paint the border with the beaten egg. 
Top the pie with the other crust, pinch the edges to seal them paint the top crust liberally with the beaten egg and cut some slits in the crust to prevent the pie inflating in the oven. Stick it in the oven for about 30-40 mins. It should look like this.

a8b735396184a0f24ae4512b3c26a88b.jpg

6cb9f3c7794e7d6caf548a7087dc54f8.jpg

• Like 3

This is one recipe that my wife's family fights over because they love it so much.

All-American Meatloaf
Part A
1 ½ pounds ground beef
¾ cup of oatmeal
1 medium onion, chopped
½ cup of catsup
¼ cup of milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon of horse radish
1 ½ teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon of black pepper

Part B (Glaze)
2 teaspoon of prepared mustard
1 tablespoon of horse radish
½ cup of catsup
3 tablespoon brown sugar

1. combine part A in a large mixing bowl, mix well
2. Spoon into a 10-inch plastic ring mold.
3. microwave on roast for 12 to 15 minutes
4. let stand for 15 minutes
5. combine part b in a clean bowl, mix well
6. Invert meat ring onto a glass serving platter
7. pour glaze over and microwave on high for three minutes to heat glaze
8. Rest for 5 minutes. Bona Petite!

Tip: Before flipping the mold or pan, grease from the beef forms at the top. I remove it by wicking it away with a wad of paper towels. Toss the paper towels into the trash. Repeat as necessary.

I usually use a silicon bunt cake mold in the microware, however a 8 x 8 glass cake pan in a conventional oven can be used too. Just make sure the beef is cooked at 165ºF in a 400ºF oven.  BTW, the meatloaf slices great on the second day for meatloaf sandwiches. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love meatloaf, gravy and mashed potatoes with some peas, the next best thing about meatloaf are the sandwiches the following day!

• Like 1

Chicken Salad

All the white meat from a rotisserie chicken (at least 1 lb), cubed to your preference.

2 eating apples, Gala or Granny Smith, peeled and finely chopped

12 seedless grapes, halved

2 oz chopped walnuts

2 oz chopped dried cherries/cranberries

1/2 medium onion finely chopped

Enough mayonnaise 

Season to your liking.

Place all of the solid ingredients in a large bowl with a couple of dollops of mayo and fold until the mayo is evenly distributed, add more mayo and continue folding until you get the desired amount of mayo vs solid ingredients. Season to taste, stuff some pita pockets with it, wraps or toasted sandwiches. Transfer to a sealable plastic container and keep refrigerated. My wife maintains that it is the best chicken salad she has ever eaten. 

• Like 2

On 5/27/2024 at 9:36 AM, Asym said:

BBQ.JPG.b6669eadc53a1a12b5435cf6bce7f158.JPG

This is pretty close to the marinade recipe we used to make beef jerky back when I was in high school, except not so much margarine. Our local grocer had served on the Iowa during WWII. When you asked him to cut you some jerky meat he would give you the marinade recipe as well. I really ought to make me some jerky one of these days. There's an outfit not too far from here that makes good jerky and sells it in the stores but it's rather pricey.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

A tremendously satisfying soup, in the US you probably call this a chowder, in Scotland we call it...

Cullen Skink

1 lb of smoked haddock

1 large onion finely chopped

2 large peeled and cubed potatoes, about .75" cubes

2.5 cups of whole milk

2.5 cups of water

pinch of mixed herbs (Italian would do)

Put the potatoes and the chopped onion in a skillet with the butter and gently saute until the onions become translucent, sprinkle the mixed herbs onto the sauteing mixture and then add the water to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Put the lid on the skillet and simmer until the potatoes are cooked. Roughly mash about 1/3 of the potato and onion mix.

Put the milk and the haddock in a large skillet and gently poach the smoked haddock keeping the milk on the move throughout. Once the milk has heated up the fish will take about 5 minutes to cook through. When the haddock is cooked through add the potato mixture to the party and stir to ensure a uniform mix of the liquid, also break the haddock up into bite size pieces. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. If need be you can add some more dairy in the form of half and half or cream if you think you need a richer broth. Serve piping hot with buttered bread.

Edited by Efros
  • Like 3

This has become a favorite. Serves 4. The wife and I normally get 2 meals from it.

Jacked-Up Chicken Scampi

Ingredients

• 4 tablespoon butter unsalted

• 1 pound chicken breast boneless and skinless, cut into small cubes

• ½ onion chopped (or 2 shallots)

• 5 cloves garlic minced

• 1 teaspoon dried oregano

• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (1/2 in original)

• 1 cup white wine (I used a dry white wine)

• 2 cups chicken stock

• 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

• 16 ounce linguine uncooked (broken in half)

• 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved or quartered

• 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped

Instructions

1.            Melt the butter in a large covered pot or skillet, over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. (do not overcook chicken at this step)

1. Add the onion, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes to the pot and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the onion begins to soften and becomes translucent.

2. Add the wine, chicken stock, lemon juice and linguine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until the linguine is al dente. If you feel that more liquid is necessary, add 1/2 cup of chicken broth at a time until the pasta is cooked to your preference.

3. Stir in the tomatoes and parsley, cover and cook for 2 minutes.. Serve.

Notes

1. This is relatively a very spicy dish. To reduce the amount of heat, just cut down the amount of red pepper flakes.

• Like 3

If you like the chicken from the roadside chicken stands then you'll like this.

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cut up 4-5 lb chicken or about that much of whatever pieces you like. ( I cut up a whole chicken into quarters. Do not remove the skin while cooking). Note: if making Roadside Chicken Salad you need to make one extra bone-in breast to reserve for it.

1 cup white wine vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)

1/2 cup veg oil (leave out for marinade)

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt (half that for regular salt)

1 TBS white sugar

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp white pepper

1/2 tsp celery salt

Mix till well dissolved.  Marinate the chicken in the sauce overnight in the fridge before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I set the grill for indirect heat. I start with a full can on my 22” Weber kettle. I crisp up the skins over direct heat with the lid open then transfer the chicken to the indirect side of the grill with the lid closed. I run the grill at 350 degrees. I baste the chicken about every 12 minutes. Cook time is about an hour. Pull it when it the juices run clear and it hits 170 degrees on a probe thermometer.  Enjoy

Notes: You are going to marinate the chicken first, leave the oil out for the marinade process. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce. I have found out that cutting the recipe for the basting sauce in half is fine and you don’t waste it.

Put leftovers in a casserole and reheat in oven at 250 for an hour. (We get 2 meals out of one chicken)

• Like 1

The wife and I have collected and tested recipes for years. I do most of the cooking since retirement and she bakes. We are now the "senior generation" in our family and have collected many family recipes from our parents and grandparents.

CookBooks.thumb.JPEG.41a76f664ee18a969563365ed21fc480.JPEG

• Like 2

We love meatloaf, but ground beef doesn't love us anymore. This is a pretty good substitute. 

Turkey Meatloaf

Yields: 6 servings

Prep Time: 0 hours 15 mins

Total Time: 1 hour 40 mins

Ingredients

Cooking spray

1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil 

1 large onion, chopped

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tbsp. finely chopped rosemary

1 tsp. chopped thyme leaves 

2 lb. ground turkey

3/4 c. bread crumbs

1/2 c. milk

2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce 

1 large egg

1/3 c. ketchup 

2 tbsp. brown sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 325° and lightly grease a large deep baking dish with cooking spray. In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper then stir in garlic and herbs. Cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

In a large bowl, mix ground turkey, breadcrumbs, milk, Worcestershire, egg, and cooked vegetables until combined. Season with salt and pepper.

On prepared baking dish, form meat mixture into a loaf. In a small bowl, stir ketchup and brown sugar until combined, then brush over loaf. Bake until internal temperature reaches 160°, about 1 hour 20 minutes.

• Like 1

3 Berry compote

4lb bag of mixed frozen berries, (ours is usually strawberries, blueberries and raspberries),

1/2 cup of lemon juice,

1/2 lb of sugar.

Throw it all in a large pot and bring it to a boil, keep it on simmer for about 30 mins with the lid on the pot, stir every 5 minutes or so. If it isn't thick enough for you you can use a cornstarch slurry to thicken it up for you. Just make sure you simmer it for about 10 minutes after adding the slurry to cook it out. This one is more sour than sweet depending on the berry mix you have, but taste it and see if you need more sugar. We have this hot or cold on dessert shells or slices of pound cake accompanied by vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. Really good for potlucks and family get togethers. Also a very good sauce for roast pork.