Abandoned grinds: which ships can you simply not get to work for you (that you thought were going to be great)?

Ensign Cthulhu

24 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

pan american cruisers

I ground mine mostly in co-op. At T8 and above they're just like British light cruisers with the radar option in many respects, a line which I really loved, and I had a blast playing them. The F button charges very quickly against the bots. If it's not recharging fast enough for you, you're not shooting enough. 

At lower tiers, La Argentina seems to be a very nasty citadel farmer for some reason. 

On 5/4/2024 at 4:05 PM, Frostbow said:

I would suggest not abandoning grinds. Tier X ships can be useful during Anniversary Events and for the traditional New Year's Certificates. I've gotten ships like Imperator, WV '44, Dunkerque, Hood, Bearn, Toulon, Collingwood, etc. along with items like Steel, Doubloons, among others simply because the number of Tier X ships I have were enough for super containers and certificates.

My tactic is always this. I would never stomach to hard grind a meeh line these days, I just value my time better. But at the same time I do earn a lot of Free XP and credits just by playing all my premiums and faring well in them so I usually:

1. Prioritize free grinding new lines I actually like to play, as well as playing them
  2. I re-purchase all silver T8-9 since I sold them back in the day when I was grinding all the lines to be able to buy the next ship, and these will just be port queens that i Earn extra free stuff you get for T8-9 during events etc.
  3. If I get a lot of Free XP over I prioritize to use it to fast reset the Harugumo line at each x2 RB event for quick new RB Premium ships.
  4. After that I use Free XP to grind lines I have Zero interest in just as you say to get them so they can sit and collect dust in port to earn me some extra SC´s or Christmas boxes during events.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I ground mine mostly in co-op. At T8 and above they're just like British light cruisers with the radar option in many respects, a line which I really loved, and I had a blast playing them. The F button charges very quickly against the bots. If it's not recharging fast enough for you, you're not shooting enough. 

did not play the minotaur line but a quick look to ship tool and you can see they are not the same.

first thing to note is the huge difference in fuse threshold and time, Is what allows  british Cls to do a lot of damage to superstructure and lightly armored ships that other ships will normally overpen.

second thing is the DPM, starting at t7 british AP DPM increase significantly over their pan american counterparts, Minotaur nearly doubles San Martin AP DPM.

The only thing pan american cruisers have over british Cls  is better penetration but is not by much and definitely nowhere near high penetration guns like the elbing.

4 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

At lower tiers, La Argentina seems to be a very nasty citadel farmer for some reason. 

for some unknown reason La argentina guns use the same parameter than the t7 bolognesi while cochrane get the nerf bat 😒

Ship Tier Class Nation Description Weight Damage Initial speed Drag coeff. Flight time Impact speed Impact angle Krupp Penetration Overmatch Ricochet Threshold Fuse time
1 La Argentina 5 CA Pan-Am. 152 mm 51 kg 3,000 841 m/s 0.288 4.5 s 509 m/s 6.8° 2,609 156 mm 10 mm 60–75° 25 mm 0.025 s
2 Almirante Cochrane 6 CA Pan-Am. 152 mm 48 kg 3,000 850 m/s 0.338 4.7 s 453 m/s 7.9° 2,142 104 mm 10 mm 60–75° 25 mm 0.025 s
3 Coronel Bolognesi 7 CA Pan-Am. 152 mm 51 kg 3,000 841 m/s 0.288 4.5 s 509 m/s 6.8° 2,609 156 mm 10 mm 60–75° 25 mm 0.025 s

Edited by pepe_trueno

8 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

did not play the minotaur line but a quick look to ship tool and you can see they are not the same.

Having ground both to Tier 10, I can tell you that in general flavour they are the same. AP-only light cruisers with high-tier characterized by superheal, radar (or smoke option for the British) and torpedoes. This is regardless of what the particular stats say. 

On 5/4/2024 at 2:03 PM, mashed68 said:

Oh no, someone doesn't like a tech line you do. What a travesty. 

There's a difference between not liking a line, and claiming a line is weak when it is one of the strongest in the game. 

15 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Having ground both to Tier 10, I can tell you that in general flavour they are the same. AP-only light cruisers with high-tier characterized by superheal, radar (or smoke option for the British) and torpedoes. This is regardless of what the particular stats say. 

Having ground both to Tier 10 I 100% disagree with this assessment. The differences in AP characteristics (threshold, fuse) is MASSIVE. San Martin's damage output compared to Minotaur's is pathetic. In exchange, San Martin is one of the most survivable cruisers at Tier 10, while Minotaur is one of the least. 

11 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

Having ground both to Tier 10 I 100% disagree with this assessment. The differences in AP characteristics (threshold, fuse) is MASSIVE. San Martin's damage output compared to Minotaur's is pathetic. In exchange, San Martin is one of the most survivable cruisers at Tier 10, while Minotaur is one of the least. 

To use a metaphor: you are wasting time describing all the differences between Burger King and McDonalds, while I am simply trying to say that they are both burger chains as opposed to pizza or tacos.

So far, the RN tech tree BBs.  Still stuck on Elizabeth R.  The premiums aren't too bad, though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pretty much all the DD lines I tried. I like the idea of the playstyle of the different DD lines, I dislike their low health pool. I am very capable of playing them well, but have little interest in trying.

USN DDs - I stopped at the T9. I think I even have have enough XP for the T10 on the T9, but just no interest.

KM DDs - I tried grinding these in COOP, years ago. I found it to be a complete bore in that mode after 100+ matches. I stopped at like the T8.

Pan Asian DDs - Thought the gimmick might be interesting. Lost interest. Too niche. I might have the T10, but Im pretty sure I stopped at the T9 here too.

Then I decided not to bother with DDs in this game. (Except Cossack, Lenningrad, Blys)

Edited by Rollingonit

36 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

So far, the RN tech tree BBs.

My best stats on the original line are in Monarch. I never want to grind Lion again.

The Battlecruiser line was much more fun. Most of my Duncan grind was spent laughing maniacally as I slaughtered bots left and right.

7 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

My best stats on the original line are in Monarch. I never want to grind Lion again.

46 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

So far, the RN tech tree BBs.  Still stuck on Elizabeth R.  The premiums aren't too bad, though.

The RN line is painful to grind starting with the Iron Duke.  For me, Queen Elizabeth always gets spawned way out on the weak flank and it's no fun kiting.  It was the last 10k of XP while grinding the Lion where it kind'a clicked with me on how to play RN BBs.  So, tiers 7-9 are good for me.  Just try using AP shells more often and they won't disappoint.

• Like 1

Italian BB's. All I seem to get are thru-pens.

They drive me nuts.

I gave up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BCGrog said:

Italian BB's. All I seem to get are thru-pens.

They drive me nuts.

I gave up.

It's the high shell velocity.  Nice flat ballistics but disappointing terminal performance.  Also bad barrel wear, which isn't modeled in WoWs. 

In contrast, the USN rifles.  Higher trajectories from lower muzzle velocity and, later, heavier shells.  Steeper impact angles etc etc  They were designed to fight far from major shipyards, which, btw, was also a major driver for lower ship speeds. 

Yet, I keep hearing love for RM BBs and hate for slow USN BBs...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

It's the tactical advantage of speed in terms of deployment and redeployment. The Standard BB haters would rather drive Ferraris than tractors, but the Ferrari cannot pull a plough through a muddy field.

2 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

The Standard BB haters would rather drive Ferraris than tractors, but the Ferrari cannot pull a plough through a muddy field.

I bet otherwise.

Farmer's Favorite Ferrari | Barn Finds

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I bet otherwise.

Farmer's Favorite Ferrari | Barn Finds

🤣 You learn something new every day!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

To use a metaphor: you are wasting time describing all the differences between Burger King and McDonalds, while I am simply trying to say that they are both burger chains as opposed to pizza or tacos.

They're only similar at a surface level glance. The way they play is completely different from each other. I would not claim they are the most similar to each other when I can think of a number of cruisers closer to the other.  

Edited by Unlooky

9 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Can't think of a single person singing the praises of the RM battleships before Cololbo buffs? While Vermont has been well liked ever since the acceleration buff. 

I've never given up any grind. As I, normally, prefer a historical ship as an end result (a T10 Yamato, for example), I simply grind through all the previous ships even if they aren't so great or I don't have a good time with them. At times, I have 'free exped' past a tier (or two). Mainly, tho, I just grind the line to whatever ship is my preferred end ship.

One thing to do (I found) when grinding is to have enough extra exp & credits  available so you don't play a new tier ship in 'stock' condition. Stock ships usually get eaten up rather easily by fully specced enemy ships.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Unlooky said:

There's a difference between not liking a line, and claiming a line is weak when it is one of the strongest in the game. 

By all means, quote where I said the line was weak vs where I said I didn't like its play style. I'll wait. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 8:23 AM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

For me it's Dutch cruisers and Russian battleships. Almost every time I take them out, I wonder why I bother. Results are almost never good, and I've gotten tired of telling myself the next one will be better.

I ground to the Haarlem because I had a permacamo/permabonus for her and it seemed a shame not to get her and fit it, but there the grind has stopped and I have no interest in continuing. Part of the problem here is that I'm mostly a co-op main and the bots are clued in to where the bombs are going to drop as soon as I designate the target area, so they have a very high evasion rate. The rest of the armament is balanced around the bombs being useful, so... you guess the rest. (The DD, Tromp, is not as much of a problem because she at least has torpedoes and the bombs seem to drop with less lag time, making hits on bots somewhat easier.)

Russian Battleships... well, I don't really know what I'm doing wrong here, but their reach is super-short and their reload is relatively long - hell, there are cruisers that outrange some Russian BBs. Sinop is supposed to be death and destruction, but never in my hands. Again, I got as far as Vladivostok because I scored a permacamo (including econ stuff) for her during the release event, but that's where it stops. 

Russian carriers used to be on this list, but I've watched some videos and I think I'm getting the hang of those now. Once more, Pobeda's in my port because of the permacamo, but the Serov grind was full of gamer words. The key seems to be learning to lead with the rockets, which is difficult because the machine-gun time is so long, but when you see a salvo connect properly you realize WHY it's so long. Pobeda goes back on the grind list as soon as I've unlocked the Essex, which should be sometime in August at the current, slow co-op rate.

Italian destroyers are also a bit of a bugbear, but the last few times I took the Cuniberti out I started to get the hang of it. Right now I'm reserving judgement.

As for submarines - they have their own problems in co-op, mostly related to the battles being a kill frenzy and not having enough time to finish kills before high-DPM surface ships storm in and take the food out of your mouth. Right now I'm prepared to say that this one is definitely on me and that practice will make it better, but they're very much on the no-rush-to-finish list. I have the Sturdy in rotation for the hell of it (she'll be finished sometime in 2025 at current rates of progress), but on the whole there are other things I want to get done first.

Only read through page 1 on my lunch break but I'd highly encourage trying the Russian BB in Asym this week before it goes away. They really shine in the mode and I've ran through the last 30k on Sinop up to 100k left on Soyouz. Obviously I've left this line a long time for same coop reason. Slow battleships get nothing in standard coop most matches anymore. 

The Russian cvs are also hilariously strong in this mode since fighters don't do anything and the AA is down tiered. 

Edited by GandalfTehGray

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 4:16 PM, mashed68 said:

just a badly armored BB without cool gimmicks

Truly insane how far the Schliffen/Secondary BB brainrot has gone. 

Edited by Unlooky
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

Truly insane how far the Schliffen/Secondary BB brainrot has gone. 

Truely insane how you continue to turn it into something it isn't. 

Show me on the port armor screen where the Schliffen touched you lmao 

Edited by mashed68

1 minute ago, mashed68 said:

Truely insane how you continue to turn it into something it isn't. 

Is that so? Can you explain to me what other battleship line you are describing then, that has "good secondaries and lots of torpedoes"

Players actually grind lines?  I haven’t had to grind a line since my 2nd line. It’s all free Xp to t10!

• Haha 1