Devblog 531 - major and some minor ship balance changes!

Ensign Cthulhu

11 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

NA WG stream said that reason is their selling point, which WG doesn't want to remove, so that's why the nerfs come in the form of HP drops.

So they basically said Conde and Annapolis will always be busted without saying it.

On 4/24/2024 at 9:11 PM, HogHammer said:

Those are pretty significant reductions in ship HP to Annapolis and Conde. 

considering how drastically these ships reduce the opposing ship hps. I would say, it's probably not enough.

Edited by WES_HoundDog

2 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

So they basically said Conde and Annapolis will always be busted without saying it.

Proof that WG doesn't actually balance the game for gameplay...

Played a few games of Annapolis since I haven't touched it in a while.

image.png?ex=662ddf49&is=662c8dc9&hm=d47670a2273810f443f43cd62ecdfd3db4f1696ff09c11302f528bbc5f36d749&=

2 year overdue nerf tbh, and they're not even nerfing the most insane aspect of it (the DPM.) If you get a smoke slave this entire nerf is completely negligible anyways. 

Edited by Unlooky
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 11:04 PM, Captain_Rawhide said:

Finally broke down and bought the Conde about six weeks ago.  So I knew it would be nerfed.  WG watches my account and to see what ships I buy so that they can nerf them.  It's true.

Can you buy the following ships next?

St. Vincent

Smaland 

R. Lauria

U-4501

Thanks.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Unlooky said:

Smaland 

I think that one is earmarked for some cashgrab thing and won't be ever balanced.

12 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

Change the thing you want and they will stop being the Conde and Annapolis, their desirability will vanish, and all those people who shovelled hundreds of millions of credits at those ships will tie you to the yardarm and flog you skinless with wet ramen noodles.

9 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Proof that WG doesn't actually balance the game for gameplay...

Given that they are tech-tree ships, you can't call it a money thing.

WG takes a whole-game approach, which includes carefully shaping the desirability of its products. This is regardless of whether they are paid content or grind content.

• Confused 1

Cant the HP nerfs to Annapolis and Conde just be countered by running Survivability Expert on them? Especially Legendary Phillipe captain on Conde that grants 5000 HP. 

It is a bit hard to take the nerf seriously also when both cruisers perform very well, burning down BBs from 18-19 km range. IF a BB manage to get a good salvo in they just need to stop shooting for a couple of seconds and heal up again. And thats a big IF....... 

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

Just now, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Cant the HP nerfs to Annapolis and Conde just be countered by running Survivability Expert on them? Especially Legendary Phillipe captain on Conde that grants 5000 HP. 

It is a bit hard to take the nerf seriously also when both cruisers perform very well, burning down BBs from 18-19 km range. IF a BB manage to get a good salvo in they just need to stop shooting for a couple of seconds and heal up again. And thats a big IF....... 

Currently you should be already running Survivability Expert as they're tier 11, not 10 (and get more value out of the skill as a result). But yes, running SE should allow you to reach or approach pre nerf non SE levels of HP. 

16 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

Currently you should be already running Survivability Expert as they're tier 11, not 10 (and get more value out of the skill as a result). But yes, running SE should allow you to reach or approach pre nerf non SE levels of HP. 

At a cost of those 3 skill points, which may have been used to better effect elsewhere?

Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

At a cost of those 3 skill points, which may have been used to better effect elsewhere?

Better used in what? Super Heavy AP? an AA skill? Don't make me laugh.

Edited by Unlooky
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

WG takes a whole-game approach, which includes carefully shaping the desirability of its products. This is regardless of whether they are paid content or grind content.

That is the theory, the standard press release statement that WG gives out and wants the public to believe. But the reality is vastly different. 

Anyone with a balanced and honest perspective can readily see how busted Conde and Annapolis has been right from the start. This 'whole-game approach' has been blatantly non-existent with these two cruisers in particular. Anyone who just plays Co-op, has zero substantial experience in playing Conde and Annapolis in PVP, and derives premature conclusions solely from watching streams sorely lacks the authority, integrity, and the conviction to claim that Wargaming has been 'carefully shaping the desirability of its products'. 

It remains to be seen if these changes will result to the meaningful balance that has been long overdue, given Survivability Expert can easily mitigate the announced 'nerf'.

5 hours ago, Frostbow said:

Anyone with a balanced and honest perspective can readily see how busted Conde and Annapolis has been right from the start.

Gonna disagree with you.  🙂 
I've never felt that Conde' is over-powered.

High-tier play tends to be more lethal, in my opinion. 
The Annapolis' "funny button" is well-known and thus avoiding it is going to involve positioning and timing, because a mistake may prove costly.
But, mistakes being costly to one's ship (or even sending it back to port) are a feature of high-tier game play.

Personally I've played Conde' on the live-server and on PTS in both Co-op and random battles.
It can take a long time to try to chew bite-sized chunks out of a ship's hull, when the ship in question is a supership battleship, while using the Conde's main-guns to do so.

So, anyway, I politely disagree with the notion that the Conde was in need of nerfs.
But, hey, maybe it's just me, eh?  🙂 

Players spend 47+ million credits on superships, and then pay the exorbitant service costs each time they're played.
I would *hope* we'd get some "super" capabilities from such an expense.  

6 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've never felt that Conde' is over-powered

Conde is finally getting a nerf.

6 hours ago, Frostbow said:

That is the theory, the standard press release statement that WG gives out and wants the public to believe. But the reality is vastly different. 

Anyone with a balanced and honest perspective can readily see how busted Conde and Annapolis has been right from the start. This 'whole-game approach' has been blatantly non-existent with these two cruisers in particular. Anyone who just plays Co-op, has zero substantial experience in playing Conde and Annapolis in PVP, and derives premature conclusions solely from watching streams sorely lacks the authority, integrity, and the conviction to claim that Wargaming has been 'carefully shaping the desirability of its products'. 

It remains to be seen if these changes will result to the meaningful balance that has been long overdue, given Survivability Expert can easily mitigate the announced 'nerf'.

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Players spend 47+ million credits on superships, and then pay the exorbitant service costs each time they're played.
I would *hope* we'd get some "super" capabilities from such an expense.  

Superships are sold / advertised as pay2win.

The release of superships generally follows bait and switch principles, if WG gets the balancing 'right'.

I would never take WG word alone on anything... particularly with respect to release of ships and the monetization strategy. WG has a proven track record of duplicitous communications in that area.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

So, anyway, I politely disagree with the notion that the Conde was in need of nerfs.
But, hey, maybe it's just me, eh?  🙂 

I don't think any cruiser needs to be nerfed. But they're hated by both WG and the playerbase so this is what we get. 

I don't really care though. Barely see any. Seems like if a cruiser can't sit in smoke or be Yoshino, it might as well not exist. 

• Thanks 1