Some bad news, the D-day event is absolutely awful.

Subtle_Octavian

It is funny seeing some folk staying that having "Tanks, Planes, Ships" as a combined arms thing is possible.  Sadly, they are 3 entirely different games.  There is no way for them to properly get the 3 to mesh well, if at all, without a complete overhaul of all 3.

On that note, you'd think Gaijin would do something like this, since they can easily do it, yet here we are. haha

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

I literally did not help the team, aside from destroying enemies. While I accept that yes, this is important, I think that everything else being deemed 'less important' is unhealthy for the mode. You are going to see a lot of selfish damage farming in this mode, especially if there are mission requirements here for damage.

So like Cherry Blossom? Where you have to kill the airfields to win, but doing so provides little reward compared to farming the ongoing spawn of DDs and Cruisers.

52 minutes ago, Darlith said:

So like Cherry Blossom? Where you have to kill the airfields to win, but doing so provides little reward compared to farming the ongoing spawn of DDs and Cruisers.

It's like that, but worse. There are multiple things to do that award next to no experience, and they require you to focus on them and not get damage.

2 hours ago, Volron said:

It is funny seeing some folk staying that having "Tanks, Planes, Ships" as a combined arms thing is possible.  Sadly, they are 3 entirely different games.  There is no way for them to properly get the 3 to mesh well, if at all, without a complete overhaul of all 3.

On that note, you'd think Gaijin would do something like this, since they can easily do it, yet here we are. haha

While I can appreciate that there are "technical hurdles" and "difficulties", there are other games which have integrated aircraft, tanks and infantry. 
I've played them in the past, before world of warships even existed.  
Granted, the aircraft weren't on a "simulation" standard of behavior, in Battlefield 1942.
For a simulation I used to play Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator.

All that being said, I'm curious if WOWs and WOT and WOWP will look at each other and consider a complete start-from-scratch product that does allow players to participate in a combined-arms environment?
Merely to offer a competitive product to other games?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

While I can appreciate that there are "technical hurdles" and "difficulties", there are other games which have integrated aircraft, tanks and infantry. 
I've played them in the past, before world of warships even existed.  
Granted, the aircraft weren't on a "simulation" standard of behavior, in Battlefield 1942.
For a simulation I used to play Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator.

All that being said, I'm curious if WOWs and WOT and WOWP will look at each other and consider a complete start-from-scratch product that does allow players to participate in a combined-arms environment?
Merely to offer a competitive product to other games?

Those games were designed from the ground up (or started early enough) to be as such.  WoT, WoWp and WoWs were not.  WWIIOL and War Thunder are examples of "ground up or started early enough".

It is very unlikely that they will do it, or they would've done it already.  But can you imagine the cries that would take place if "proper" player controlled planes would cause to ship folks, and much more so to tank folks?  You'd be very close to never seeing a thread about CV's and Sub's again from ships.

Edited by Volron
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Asym said:

I'd suspect, they out sourced it to one of the children of a developer.

Hey, you have to give WG benefit of doubt. Perhaps the developers were starting to test it and then found it so hard they then outsourced the testing as you have suspected. LOL! 

• Haha 2

More easy, but it's still boring.

Screw this Op. Getting hacked off at the constant level of frustration. (So dearly love mines getting dropped right on you.)

If I wanted this kind of frustration I'd go play Random Ops, and hope for Newport; (which I despise.)

Decides to just play meme ship and see what happens.

Gasp. Shock. Actually get a win.

shot-24.05.05_22.50.00-0876.jpg

shot-24.05.05_22.50.16-0290.jpg

shot-24.05.05_22.50.30-0871.jpg

shot-24.05.05_22.50.38-0390.jpg

shot-24.05.05_22.50.49-0616.jpg

It's either Atlanta, Huron, West Virginia 44 or bust.

Imagine suffering in this with a New Mexico.

10 minutes ago, Beleaf said:

It's either Atlanta, Huron, West Virginia 44 or bust.

Tried Agincourt. (see above.) If nothing else, at least I survived.

Can't say the same for WV '44. (See below.)

11 minutes ago, Beleaf said:

Imagine suffering in this with a New Mexico.

It has lots of guns, but the secondaries (16 total,) are really short ranged, (6.0 km.)

I want to use Atlantico.

(-)

Second meme run.

Everybody died, but somehow we won, because I killed one more torpedo boat at the end with secondaries?

So many times; so many salvos of 16" AP poured into bunkers for effectively zero, repeat; ZERO damage.

Looks at minimap. Bunker is in range. Binocular view; can't raise reticle high enough to target bunker.

Get rid of the destroyers WG. The crazies in the Tribals kept any of them from reaching the beaches anyway, and everything else is bad enough.

shot-24.05.05_23.32.59-0315.jpg

shot-24.05.05_23.33.04-0511.jpg

shot-24.05.05_23.33.14-0176.jpg

shot-24.05.05_23.33.26-0272.jpg

shot-24.05.05_23.33.37-0126.jpg

shot-24.05.05_23.33.50-0564.jpg

2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Looks at minimap. Bunker is in range. Binocular view; can't raise reticle high enough to target bunker.

The thing to look out for is that the minimap range is range till your shells hit sea level, the bunkers are above the beaches so maybe 50m higher that can take 2-3km off your effective range (not exactly realistic - but what in WOWS is).

It's very noticable if you use say Atlanta or Flint.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Getting hacked off at the constant level of frustration.

Yeah, I played round 3 a bit earlier before the weekend.

It's more or less the same as round 2, as in, bring an Atlanta (the new Weimar, yay!) and play selfishly. Nevermind your teammates or playing along with the scenario or anything, no, just score as much damage as you can. That is the only thing that matters.

But after all, why push the objectives anyway? They're lame, not fun, and not rewarding. Shooting forts is way less comfortable than they are in existing ops, as in, my shells just nope out on me and decide to pass though the hitbox. And that's when you can spot the damn things. They still get to stealthfire. Stealthfire, you know, that thing they removed years ago because it was stupid? The only way to spot them is via attack aircraft spotting. Attack aircraft spotting, you know, that thing they are currently in closed testing to try and remove?

And the mines. Jesus just why. They're annoying. I haven't even died to them. They're just there to piss me off. You know, after destroying about 5 billion of them, you'd think that would be enough. But wait, here comes the airplanes, and you didn't destroy 100% of the squadron instantly(you specced your Atlanta with the intel and everything), and that means they get the drop off, so here's 5 billion more of them to tediously destroy to protect the braindead transports who will probably die anyway because there too many mines spawning in and you aren't fast enough.

Since that is all lame, might as well not help with it. Let's farm some damage, guys.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1235502633150840914/1235611028813774928/image.png?ex=66399d31&is=66384bb1&hm=16e7d6d8f3af97bdd8caad2c340fb096c9ad3bad42d0369f5d4b1d2679f84856&

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1235502633150840914/1235611029078147113/image.png?ex=66399d31&is=66384bb1&hm=fd0a63ea9f1304198fd5b0ecc2ee89ff5c4d3f54b7a15dd2688652dc2d470e4f&

Didn't help. Didn't matter. Scoreboard says I'm the best, yay.

Side note, they tinkered with difficulty again. But that didn't matter again, since they WILL dig their heels in and convince themselves that the intelligence mechanic is a good idea. It isn't.

Again. I still want to like this op. But it'll be a missed opportunity at this point.

PS, I didn't mean to rant this much. I just started typing and you know the rest.

• Thanks 2

After testing, Helena somewhat works out. But to be safe I probably will resort myself to Atlanta just in case other people brings in Atlanta as well so I can stand a chance to compete. After all the payout matters.

BTW: Havn't tried Weimar and Boise yet, probably will give it a try when it goes live.

Also, before Weimar triumph in T7 Narai, Atlanta was king in Narai.

7 minutes ago, a252 said:

Weimar

Not allowed for this op. Only Allied nations T5-7 of certain classes are allowed.

• Like 1

atlanta , helena,pesacola fiji,perth  ive seen the most in battle 

The whole 'you have to grind out buffs before you can have fun in the op' mechanic is a deal breaker for me.

I'm not at all interested in grinding to maybe have fun later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The D-day op in the 3rd PTS was back to the annoying self of the D-day op in the 1st PTS. I'll ignore this op when it comes live. Playing games is all about enjoyment. Why do you want to frustrate yourself when you already have enough in real life?

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BigHeadShrimp said:

The D-day op in the 3rd PTS was back to the annoying self of the D-day op in the 1st PTS. I'll ignore this op when it comes live. Playing games is all about enjoyment. Why do you want to frustrate yourself when you already have enough in real life?

I totally agree, unless they change a lot till it goes live, i will skip this event as well. It is just boring and not fun at all, maybe skipping the minefields for a start would help a bit in improving this game mode, as i find them super annoying, here and in any other game mode where they tried to integrate them, except the ducks maybe.

Edited by UnrepentantSinner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

The whole 'you have to grind out buffs before you can have fun in the op' mechanic is a deal breaker for me.

I'm not at all interested in grinding to maybe have fun later.

Excellent way of putting it.

1 hour ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

I totally agree, unless they change a lot till it goes live, i will skip this event as well. It is just boring and not fun at all, maybe skipping the minefields for a start would help a bit in improving this game mode, as i find them super annoying, here and in any other game mode were they tried to integrate them, except the ducks maybe.

I suggested leaving the destroyers out.

Apparently a bunch of wild ones in Tribals were in the Bay of Biscay, and rather violently prevented any of the available German destroyers from reaching the landing area... 

• Like 2

On the off chance that this event will turn out to be as promising as some comments here lead me to believe, I'm prepared to give it a go myself. I mean, there's nothing like experiencing disappointment first hand, is there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Question: WG said they would give us rentals for this event. Any idea what ships they'll make available, and if they come with a skilled captain?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Viridem said:

Question: WG said they would give us rentals for this event. Any idea what ships they'll make available, and if they come with a skilled captain?

Really?  That sounds cool.
Where's the source for this info?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Really?  That sounds cool.
Where's the source for this info?

From the Dev Blog page: "Each operation makes up a part of our own retelling of the D-Day events. These scenarios will last two weeks each, include battleships, cruisers, and destroyers of tiers V-VII, and will accommodate up to 6 players in a division. Don't have a suitable ship? We have you covered - rental ships will be available to all players for these operations."

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/526

Edited by UnrepentantSinner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2024 at 10:00 PM, oldblackdog said:

Fun video...

Thank you

Insane waste of Time

thank you

so badly balanced!

Regards