Some bad news, the D-day event is absolutely awful.

Subtle_Octavian

16 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

So that Wargaming has enough time to try and improve it.

Okay, fair enough.  Somehow I don't think that's S_O's intention, though. 

1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

If others try the operation just to see what SO is talking about, it may raise enough stink to spur WG to work on it.

2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Yeah, I don't entirely agree with OP.

But the 5 rounds I've played of this so far has been some of the most miserable gameplay I've experienced in this game, and I'm trying to be charitable. I want it to be good. It needs to be fixed.

• Like 1

In another time and place ...

U.S. Navy D-Day Landing Craft - Higgins Boat - in Illinois

EU English stream is playing it now. Watch and learn as they come to grips with it.

21 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

EU English stream is playing it now. Watch and learn as they come to grips with it.

It's nice having a full team with players who have full knowledge of all the new mechanics. The overwhelming majority of players won't have access to that. They'll just get frustrated and play a different mode.

It needs to be retuned. Even victories aren't satisfying. Aiming is awful. Damage on shore batters feels shoddy and unpolished. And everything is balanced around the new intel mechanic.

image.png.5d302a9913ee66352ec80323d6f650a2.png

This is what they are balancing around. With enough of this, I suppose it'll be easier, but that isn't satisfying. This is going to filter players hard if they don't keep grinding the intel.

I'm still trying the op in PTS. I'm really trying to be charitable here. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I'm not having fun.

Edited by SolitudeFreak
added more context

If 'grinding the Intel' is required...I see no reason to do the event.

I don't play to grind. I play to have fun.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

The Schnellboots were basically impossible to hit, and frustrating to the point of making me want to almost give up in short order.

They were difficult in the original Dunkirk mission. I suspect WG is tuning the mission so that it needs some investment in the event currency and isn't e-z mode for experienced divisions with the "right" ships. That will spoil the fun for everyone else, though, and probs for random teams. I wish they would have a more dynamic approach to difficulty.... 

I keep seeing my AP shells disappear into the ground targets doing no damage.

They literally said 'use AP' on the stream.

Edited by SolitudeFreak

Just now, SolitudeFreak said:

I keep seeing my AP shells disappear into the ground targets doing no damage.

Low calibre AP does that in regular ops, though. 203s work better. 

3 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Low calibre AP does that in regular ops, though. 203s work better. 

WV 44 guns...

The hit detection is just dogwater.

2 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

WV 44 guns...

Probably still in flight, if it's anything like the ship

From two games I played on PTS just now (one Renown'44 one Atlanta) it seems kind of easy to complete the primary tasks (knock out AA guns and 3 of 7 coastal guns) but 5 staring this one may be near impossible unless you div with friends and/or have ALL your random teammates know how the op works. I can see 5 starring it go something like this:

have allied cruisers go ahead and kill the E-boats, then they fall back to clear the minefields and get ready for the LSTs to arrive and sink those DDs that will sink them.

The BBs move up (Toulon could work here considering her guns) and clear out the shore batteries and once complete help mine clearing and DD removal.

And I wouldn't bring DDs here as they seem too squishy to do much and most don't have the firepower to compensate.

As for other nuances/notes...

1: trying to hit an E-boat is like trying to hit a gnat with a blow dart, unless you're a secondary BB (of which only three are useable for this op.) then you just let the secondaries throw lead in the general direction and you'll get something.

2: cruisers seem to do no damage to the coastal batteries (granted Atlanta is not the benchmark among cruisers but that is very different compared to prior forts.

3: I feel like there's only about 6 ships that may be good enough to even think about bringing to this mode (Renown'44, WV'44, Agincourt, Uganda, Atlanta, Flint, Belfast, and possibly Helena, Fiji, Toulon, Dupleix, Algerie, and Boise)

4: WG could tone down the number of planes and mines in here, seems very excessive.

5: I'm willing to bet that most of these problems can be solved by grinding the Documents that allow you to do more damage or be more accurate to everything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

"OMG IT ISN'T FISH IN A BARREL, WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOOO???????"

I think my explanations so far have more depth than that, and I find this quite reductive and dismissive.

I'm pretty sure you understand the difference between naturally difficult and artificial frustration.

Maybe I and all the players who talked in our matches are wrong; after all it's our opinions.

Run the op yourself and tell us what you think.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

It has potential. But I think it needs a lot of work. As it stands, it's extremely difficult, and seems to rely heavily on the intelligence data mechanic, and grinding it, to perform well.

What is even the point then? If you need the intelligence stuff or it's imposible to play; then there's no point to wasting time on it.

I just want to play a (redacted) Op; not grind some stupid mechanic to even have a CHANCE to complete the Op.

19 hours ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

Verdict: WG is trying to urge people to grind for WV44.

17 hours ago, BlueMax1916 said:

From 10 games I had nine with one star and one with two.

Hell froze over. Someone actually completed that joke of an Op?

Max; Tried with Normandie. Secondaries were the only thing that ever hit the E-Boats.

Somehow, magically, the bunkers only appeared when I had HE loaded, and the airfields when I had AP loaded.

Gotta love the 100% accurate guns you can't shoot back at.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, majmac said:

They are doing more testing on Combat Instructions -- the extra buffs you would buy/earn in the Pinanta event.

Which had no visible effect from what I could see during said event.

13 hours ago, BlueMax1916 said:

This was my best result:

Consider it significant the SC's you've posted show team whipouts. Op is either just that difficult; or nobody but you cares enough to bother trying.

11 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The "counter-play" has also already been introduced.

DD goes to clear mines. DD gets blown up by mines. Tried my ASW plane. No effect. (Extent of what I saw.)

11 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

You are also free damage to all the aircraft until you grind out the intelligence data (because this game needed more bloated systems).

So; how many folks will basically ignore this Op after a few tries. "Why waste my time if I have no chance without said bloated extras?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

But the 5 rounds I've played of this so far has been some of the most miserable gameplay I've experienced in this game, and I'm trying to be charitable. I want it to be good. It needs to be fixed.

8 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

This is what they are balancing around. With enough of this, I suppose it'll be easier, but that isn't satisfying. This is going to filter players hard if they don't keep grinding the intel.

You had more tolerance than me. One game and done.

The second quote basically makes me even less interested.

6 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

3: I feel like there's only about 6 ships that may be good enough to even think about bringing to this mode (Renown'44, WV'44, Agincourt, Uganda, Atlanta, Flint, Belfast, and possibly Helena, Fiji, Toulon, Dupleix, Algerie, and Boise)

Interesting selection of ships. Will the lack of HE hamper Fiji? Will Agincourt suffer without AA? Note that I haven't tried this on the PTS (I'll have to wait until it comes to the main server).

2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

So; how many folks will basically ignore this Op after a few tries. "Why waste my time if I have no chance without said bloated extras?"

After seeing my AP shells phase out of existence enough times while attacking ground targets, I decided to stop trying to complete the objective and simply tried to farm damage with secondaries to complete the community token chain, which is actually really easy, but often resulted in a loss, but the mission chain only required damage(which objective ground targets do not credit you with), not a win. After that I stopped playing the op.

Before I threw my hands up I did try several ships to see how I could actually play the objectives and contribute to the victory, but it was so frustrating that I basically stopped. It's hard to describe exactly what is wrong with it, but it just doesn't feel right.

8 hours ago, DoW_ said:

Oklahoma match this morning.

Fun video...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DoW_ said:

Oklahoma match this morning.

Thanks for sharing.

On their Thursday EU stream the WG boys did not have the balls to go into this operation without their very own six ship division. They earned three stars. I bet they had trained the whole week to look good in the stream. I hope they have taken some lessons with them to improve some aspects of this operation.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, o4x4 said:

somehow got this base xp

shot-24.04.18_10.09.43-0218.jpg

Well done. Looks like two minutes into the operation you earned a Solo Warrior 😁

• Like 1