Some bad news, the D-day event is absolutely awful.

Subtle_Octavian

6 minutes ago, tm63au said:

OK

Is this operation happening now ?

Currently on Public Test server.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Subtle_Octavian said:

The scenario is almost entirely airplane and sea mine based.

You have to fight off a few boats, and then dodge endless planes and mines.

No real thing to shoot, just some pillboxes, and dodge planes.

It's so bad, it's demoralizing. This is the best WG can do. 

More planes

More planes

More planes

Mines

They are doing more testing on Combat Instructions -- the extra buffs you would buy/earn in the Pinanta event.

I wonder if they are planning to introduce them to the general games (Random etc)?

It would be a way for them to get more money by selling (what could be considered as) 'Gold Ammo' (a la WoT)

5 hours ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

Torpedo boats are very fast and hard to hit, almost required good secondary guns, plus you'll need a maneuverable ship to dodge all the torps they fired.

Coastal guns and AA guns has high HP and thick armor, only battleships can deal with them effectively.

Minefields are everywhere so going fast is not possible.

Had Fascist Germany has access to such powerful E-boats, aviation, coastal battery and minefields off French coast in actual 1944, Operation Overlord would likely ended up as another blunder like the ill-fated Dardanelles Campaign of 1915.

My impression on the event after reading about all the firsthand bulletins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

The PT Mission requiremet x7 s to have 35.000 damage to ships !!!

Who created such stupid requirement?

There are 6 allied ships.

There are just 10x Schnell Bots = 80.000 HP.

100% stupidity...

Leo "Apollo11"

I just saw they did reduce the requirement meanwhile. Yesterday and until some hours ago it was 60.000 HP (!) per task. So they are monitoring and fine tuning.

This was my best result:

shot-24.04.17_21.15.35-0229.jpg

shot-24.04.17_21.15.37-0536.jpg

Edited by BlueMax1916
  • Like 2

🤪I like there is a class of ship called Minesweeper's that handles sea mines. And WG thinks that BBs and other surface ships should handle this function. For Operation Neptune, the naval landing of troops during Operation Overlord, the first US Navy ships to cross the English Channel and penetrate the defenses were not the battleships of the bombardment force or the landing craft carrying the assault troops, instead, they were the specialized minesweepers of the US and British Royal Navies.

So why is it that the BB's, CA's, and DD's are minesweeping? Is this the best that Ally planning came up with by WG? Not to mention the German aircraft hardly made an appearance over the Normandy beaches on D-Day. There were no German torpedo bombers. Also add to the effect that E-boats due to the prep work by the RAF were neutralized on D-Day. The E-Boats only came out at night after H-hour.

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/article/suppressing-the-e-boats/

It looks like WG has thrown out the actual history and is doing 1984 newspeak in re-writing what actually happened on D-Day.

Where are the German reinforcement route suppression missions (blind or spotting plane fire) on the armor and infantry columns going to the Normandy beaches. No calls for help by the landing forces for suppressive fire. When in fact at the time in the WG scenario, we as a surface ship are in the bombardment phase like below. Where is the eye candy by Ally planes flashing ...- from the sky?

In addition there needs to be more bots for bombardments. The team line up will not strike fear into the beach defenders. I am not impress by WG's programming for a first run. This needs more work. I will play more of the PT server to see if D-Day lives up to what actually happened in history.

WG has thrown history out of the window a long time ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Had Fascist Germany has access to such powerful E-boats, aviation, coastal battery and minefields off French coast in actual 1944, Operation Overlord would likely ended up as another blunder like the ill-fated Dardanelles Campaign of 1915.

Actually they did, but the Allies figured out ways to defeat the defenses, which was why it succeeded. Many lives were lost on d-day because of the strong defenses, minefields, coastal guns, etc. The German aviation was almost completely neutralized.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, majmac said:

They are doing more testing on Combat Instructions -- the extra buffs you would buy/earn in the Pinanta event.

I wonder if they are planning to introduce them to the general games (Random etc)?

It would be a way for them to get more money by selling (what could be considered as) 'Gold Ammo' (a la WoT)

Are these the same as those 'directive' things WoT has?

30 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

🤪I like there is a class of ship called Minesweeper's that handles sea mines. And WG thinks that BBs and other surface ships should handle this function. For Operation Neptune, the naval landing of troops during Operation Overlord, the first US Navy ships to cross the English Channel and penetrate the defenses were not the battleships of the bombardment force or the landing craft carrying the assault troops, instead, they were the specialized minesweepers of the US and British Royal Navies.

So why is it that the BB's, CA's, and DD's are minesweeping? Is this the best that Ally planning came up with by WG? Not to mention the German aircraft hardly made an appearance over the Normandy beaches on D-Day. There were no German torpedo bombers. Also add to the effect that E-boats due to the prep work by the RAF were neutralized on D-Day. The E-Boats only came out at night after H-hour.

It looks like WG has thrown out the actual history and is doing 1984 newspeak in re-writing what actually happened on D-Day.

Where are the German reinforcement route suppression missions (blind or spotting plane fire) on the armor and infantry columns going to the Normandy beaches. No calls for help by the landing forces for suppressive fire. When in fact at the time in the WG scenario, we as a surface ship are in the bombardment phase like below. Where is the eye candy by Ally planes flashing ...- from the sky?

In addition there needs to be more bots for bombardments. The team line up will not strike fear into the beach defenders. I am not impress by WG's programming for a first run. This needs more work. I will play more of the PT server to see if D-Day lives up to what actually happened in history.

WarGaming has never actually respected history.

To them, its just a gimmick to be exploited for advertising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

While World of Warships do help many to learn about obscure naval projects (Ansaldo-Spanish cruisers, Project CA-B heavy cruiser and CA-2D cruiser killer, British large cruiser studies, etc.), I doubt if anyone would seriously try to do historical studies from Wargaming games as well as most of popular culture products.

Instead of sensational terms like "newspeak" that has been overused so much, I consider this is more of a tweaked, cartoonish version of Operation Neptune considering existing gameplay flavor and abstraction rendering of real life naval combat while taking its defining flavor from RL naval operations of D-Day in World of Warships, in the same vein of how players wipe out the entire German capital ship fleet in Operation Hermes on a regular basis.

Nothing but coastal bombardment seems to be the most boring sort of gameplay I've ever heard.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Subtle_Octavian said:

More planes

More planes

More planes

WG revenge for the players (but for a paltry few) ignoring WoWP. 😁

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Asym said:

Imagine how fun it would be to Land a LST and deploy a company of PVP tanks, supported by planes controlled by WOPS pilots, being supported by WOWS Naval Gun Fire !

I fear Wedgie would manage to mess this up. I mean, take a look at their record 😒 over all these years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

World of Warships hasn't indroduced Minesweeper ships into the game yet.
But, they have introduced mines which are dropped via a key-command and some animations of planes dropping mines into the water.
The "counter-play" has also already been introduced.  Depth-charges and Depth-charge Airstrikes can destroy mines and eventually entire minefields (which also have an in-game timer to make them disappear after a while).

So, creating new ships and new game-mechanics was simply unnecessary or an unjustified expense given the one-off nature of this D-Day event.
For that reason, I can tolerate some of the "use what we've already got" approaches to the situation by WG/WOWs. 

I'm curious to play this Scenario.  🙂 

5 hours ago, BlueMax1916 said:

WV44 should do better but I do not have it (yet).

It's not. You are outgunned by two shore batteries that your shells will randomly miss, because the hit detection on shore installations is especially bad. You are also free damage to all the aircraft until you grind out the intelligence data (because this game needed more bloated systems).

3 hours ago, tm63au said:

OK

Is this operation happening now ?

On PTS, yes.

11 hours ago, Asym said:

Actually, many players, BEFORE the divorce, suggested an event that actually had World of Tank and World of Planes players involved real-time for an Invasion Event...

Imagine how fun it would be to Land a LST and deploy a company of PVP tanks, supported by planes controlled by WOPS pilots, being supported by WOWS Naval Gun Fire !

That would be interesting, if done quickly by the combined matchmaking of WOWs and WOT, with WOP flying patrols and hitting targets of opportunity.

I've served aboard the LST Newport (1179) and have visited the LST-393 Museum.  https://www.lst393.org/
You might enjoy this detailed video depicting a WW-II vintage LST performing all the necessary tasks for a beach landing and subsequent un-beaching of the hull.

LST Training Video
"LSTs were created to land directly onto enemy beaches and unload their cargo and soldiers. This video is a LST propaganda film showing how LSTs beached, unloaded, and retracted from enemy territory."

USS LST-325 Ship Tour (4K)

Landing Ship Tank "USS LST 393" Tour

USS LST 393 Museum Muskegon Michigan

USA Navy Newport class tank landing ship 美國海軍 新港級戰車登陸艦 剪輯

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

World of Warships hasn't indroduced Minesweeper ships into the game yet.
But, they have introduced mines which are dropped via a key-command and some animations of planes dropping mines into the water.
The "counter-play" has also already been introduced.  Depth-charges and Depth-charge Airstrikes can destroy mines and eventually entire minefields (which also have an in-game timer to make them disappear after a while).

So, creating new ships and new game-mechanics was simply unnecessary or an unjustified expense given the one-off nature of this D-Day event.
For that reason, I can tolerate some of the "use what we've already got" approaches to the situation by WG/WOWs. 

I'm curious to play this Scenario.  🙂 

My point is the mines were taken care of by minesweepers before the bombardment section appear. I am not asking for a new ship class, why have mines in the first place?

33 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

It's not. You are outgunned by two shore batteries that your shells will randomly miss, because the hit detection on shore installations is especially bad. You are also free damage to all the aircraft until you grind out the intelligence data (because this game needed more bloated systems).

On PTS, yes.

Agincourt has no AA at all 😇

The shore batteries hit with each shells if you are too near (9 - 10 km). One of the things they need to tone down until they go live.

And that one (hint: take a look at the minimap):

shot-24.04.18_13.35.00-0435.jpg

The mine fields expand in size and also wander around a bit. Did someone mention the word 'historical'? 😁

Its a 'Game of Just Dodge' as you need to dodge mine fields, air dropped torps and ship dropped torps as well HE spam from destroyers and shore batteries.

Two airfields supply enough planes to sink you. I tried one game in seconday specced Pensacola. Did pretty well until a plane squadron took away half of my health with rockets. From there the match went downstairs.

Edited by BlueMax1916
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

why have mines in the first place?

Umm.... because beach obstructions and minefields did exist?
And perhaps, "because it's in the script" for WG/WOWs version of the event scenario?  🙂 

10 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

why have mines in the first place?

It is an artificial difficulty barrier put there to incentivize the use of intelligence data. Which you need to grind for. Each player should use it to optimize for a certain role to make the operation easier.

A few problems:

Expecting each player to optimize something

Expecting the MM to cooperate with loadouts(yes you can change loadouts at battle start, but good luck coordinating anything in the first 15 seconds)

The operation appears to be more difficult than it needs to be because the intelligence data needs a reason to exist. It's stupid bloat that distracts from gameplay and has a net negative effect on the event.

10 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Umm.... because beach obstructions and minefields did exist?
And perhaps, "because it's in the script" for WG/WOWs version of the event scenario?  🙂 

In my opinion, as gameplay elements, the mines are awful and make the op less fun. They were tedious and stupid in concealed maneuvers, and this is no different.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

It is an artificial difficulty barrier put there to incentivize the use of intelligence data. Which you need to grind for. Each player should use it to optimize for a certain role to make the operation easier.

A few problems:

Expecting each player to optimize something

Expecting the MM to cooperate with loadouts(yes you can change loadouts at battle start, but good luck coordinating anything in the first 15 seconds)

The operation appears to be more difficult than it needs to be because the intelligence data needs a reason to exist. It's stupid bloat that distracts from gameplay and has a net negative effect on the event.

In my opinion, as gameplay elements, the mines are awful and make the op less fun. They were tedious and stupid in concealed maneuvers, and this is no different.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm curious to try this scenario.
I'll see for myself.  Meanwhile, I'll try to reserve judgement.

15 hours ago, Subtle_Octavian said:

It's so bad, it's demoralizing. This is the best WG can do.

D-Day event?  D-Day is six weeks away!  At least give people some time to play it before you try to stir resentment.

How do you live in such a malevolent world?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm curious to try this scenario.
I'll see for myself.  Meanwhile, I'll try to reserve judgement.

You should definitely try it. PTS is a day earlier this patch for some reason, so you can't do it Sunday night.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

This is going to have a net drag on the popularity of the event then.

So when WG staff complain about it...let them know.

3 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

My impression on the event after reading about all the firsthand bulletins.

Had Germany those things, the operation would have been planned with that equipment in mind.

23 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

D-Day event?  D-Day is six weeks away!  At least give people some time to play it before you try to stir resentment.

How do you live in such a malevolent world?

So that Wargaming has enough time to try and improve it.