The anniversary devblog & super containers

MBT808

Thank you for your computational work, Admiral. Sadly, so many of the shrinking player-base will continue to fund and flag-wave for their passive/aggressive abuser.

I'm not sure who's right or wrong but I am so happy to see everyone back and complianing it's so awsome. I mean this in a good way I really missed everybody.

4 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Thank you for your computational work, Admiral. Sadly, so many of the shrinking player-base will continue to fund and flag-wave for their passive/aggressive abuser.

I will defend WG if deserved but I won't be shy of calling them out when deserved as well. Their actions dictate my response. I am no WG BAD REEEEEE person and I also don't have my lips and nose so far up their rectum I can see their tonsils like certain folks.

I still like the game overall but I really hate the way they are turning special event modes into regular rotation Randoms, despise subs with a holy passion, and have no use at all for these new air dropped mines but what can you do (no alternative to this game so suck it up and stay or quit and not have anywhere else to go). Then they do this kind of crap, close the forums, etc... which just turns me off even more. I wish they would just stop nerfing everything, moving the goal posts, lying to us, and basically taking a dump on us all the time. This company needs a change in direction and leadership so badly.

I used to be a Mega White Whale in WOWS (Moby Dick would be a minnow compared to me LOL). OMG the amount I have spent makes me sick LOL. But these days I am more of a Midget Guppy LOL. I will still spend if I really want something or find value in it but mostly I have stopped. All because of the things they do and say not because of the game itself.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

It is a big nerf to SC's but other rewards too. I have been trying for days to get some folks on reddit to see this but god that place is so frustrating. Even with the math laid out right there for them they refuse to see it. Somehow even though all I have done is rip into and tear apart WG over the Anniversary event (other than mentioning I am ok with the lesser amounts of PT in SC's when that came up because we were all getting so much it added up to more than many of us could ever use) I have been labeled a shill and white knight for them. That place is terrible. I hope this forum can make it.

Anyway, here is what I showed people on reddit as to why this is such a big blow to long time veterans like me. People argued and told me I was wrong 😒...

• I have 75 T10's + 12 SuperShips currently
  • Under the old system this would = 87 SC's
  • We can only get 80 max possible this year so for me it starts out at a -7 SC net loss (and that doesn't even count how the content has been so severely nerfed that what I do get will be of much lesser value)
  • T10's give 200 tokens each and SuperShips give 300 tokens each
  • SC 1-30 will cost 200 tokens each so those are still a 1 for 1 like it used to be for T10's and you can even be a little ahead if some of your 1-30 SC's are SuperShips (this benefits newer players but does nothing for veterans like me - I am ok at helping newer players move along in the game just not at my expense).
  • SC 31-80 the cost of SC's doubles to 400 tokens each making them a 2 token sets for 1 SC for your T10's and a 4 token sets for 3 SC's for your SuperShips (this is where established veterans with large fleets take it in the shorts).
  • In total my 87 qualifying T10/SuperShips can only get me 61 of the 80 available SC's. Would have got 87 SC's in prior years but can't even get 80 SC's this year.
  • To get the remaining 19 SC's available I need to use a combo of 101 T8/T9 ships to get enough tokens to do it (75 tokens each) which means losing out on their individual rewards I would have got in prior years IN ADDITION TO 87 SC's.
  • The 101 T8/T9 ships I will lose the individual rewards for adds up to a big loss of "stuff" we would have got in previous years. If you go by last year where each T8/T9 earned 1 Special boost crate (5X green boosts) and 1 Rare boost crate (3X blue boosts) it comes out to a loss of 505 green boosts and 303 blue boost; 808 boosts in total. That is a HUGE loss and seriously impacts my boost situation for the coming year.

So when people say this isn't a big deal, we don't lose out on anything, and so forth they are talking out of their lower, reward facing, orifice. WG massively nerfed rewards for long time veterans. They just couldn't help themselves and had to ruin one of the few things that actually gets them some good will annually. We all know they aren't too bright, and don't care about the customer base at all (especially loyal veteran ones), but I am shocked even they are so blind, stupid, and arrogant that they would make such a huge change to one of the few things they get good press for. Just when you think they couldn't possibly screw something up worse than they have done, wow, here comes WG saying "hold my beer (vodka?)...."🤣

I think, I'm going to be brutally honest here, is that we're not the target audience anymore. The attitude from WG of the last couple years has been very contemptuous of the veteran players. They don't outright say it of course, but I honestly feel like they would be happier if we all just quit. The players they want, are the people who will put money down without thinking, people who will buy $200 USD Yamato skins, or even new players who buy a $30 steam package(even if they only even play for a week, they've still gotten money out of them).

I could be wrong on this, @LittleWhiteMouse But at the tail end of your time as a community contributor, I remember you doing a bit of imprompt Q&A and the impressions you got of what WG thought about the CCs and the long time veterans of WoWs. I could be wrong, but at a certain point their attitude started changing(Smolensk pre-release I think?). You had a more inside view of things than most players did at the time and how WG looked at things.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

It is a big nerf to SC's but other rewards too. I have been trying for days to get some folks on reddit to see this but god that place is so frustrating. Even with the math laid out right there for them they refuse to see it.

Ever wonder why they ditched the Forum and went with what amounts to a forum with Alzheimer's?

6 minutes ago, MBT808 said:

I could be wrong on this, @LittleWhiteMouse But at the tail end of your time as a community contributor, I remember you doing a bit of imprompt Q&A and the impressions you got of what WG thought about the CCs and the long time veterans of WoWs. I could be wrong, but at a certain point their attitude started changing(Smolensk pre-release I think?). You had a more inside view of things than most players did at the time and how WG looked at things.

It doesn't matter what type of long-term game you're talking about, be it a live-service game like World of Warships, a collectible card game like Magic: the Gathering or tabletop games like Warhammer 40,000:  Veteran players are an obstacle to sales and promotions.

Without continuity, anything you release can be brand new and exciting and sold without baggage.  I cannot stress how much of a boon that is. Veterans have memories and expectations, and worse, many of them have already spent their money and aren't as likely to be the big spenders a new or established player might be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clammboy said:

I'm not sure who's right or wrong but I am so happy to see everyone back and complianing it's so awsome. I mean this in a good way I really missed everybody.

LOL  :classic_laugh:

1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It doesn't matter what type of long-term game you're talking about, be it a live-service game like World of Warships, a collectible card game like Magic: the Gathering or tabletop games like Warhammer 40,000:  Veteran players are an obstacle to sales and promotions.

Without continuity, anything you release can be brand new and exciting and sold without baggage.  I cannot stress how much of a boon that is. Veterans have memories and expectations, and worse, many of them have already spent their money and aren't as likely to be the big spenders a new or established player might be.

image_2023-08-16_202531933.thumb.png.7cc81156c36593e6b7a4f0572d5be51b.png

And just in case anyone thinks I mean this inevitably results in any Studio-to-Veteran interactions becoming sour, it doesn't.  They trend that way.  There's a reason for the stereotype of the crusty ol' gamer vet who laments that things were better back in the day.  The best defence against that is to engage with veterans in a manner that's cost-effective.

Game modes, tournaments, addressing balance issues on preferred settings, quality of life improvements and rewards programs for milestones and anniversaries are all wonderful.  Which is what makes the changes here so interesting (from a purely academic standpoint).  This to me says that they seem themselves losing a significant amount of money from this event.  Losses to long term veterans shouldn't be the issue -- the population of people playing for more than 3+ years has got to be incredibly small relative to the larger player base.  So that means one of two things in my mind:

• 1.) There is a not-insignificant number of whales in the veteran player base that continually spend money.  And their spending habits are nerfed by the influx of in game currency and bonuses they receive over this event.

and/or:

• 2.) It has become VERY easy for newish, but established players (6 to 18 months of experience but still spending money on the regular), to acquire a large roster of higher tiered ships.

This is, of course, just speculation on my part. 

Have no doubt:  Wargaming has access to sales data that will show how spending is affected before, during and after the anniversary event.  These changes are meant to address this. 

• Like 3

I am working an alt account right now with most lines to 5 and a few lines to 6, and yes, without spending a dime. As far as theLaalaa account, even though I have about 350 boats with 75 extra slots, my satisfaction is sustained in my 3 Omahas, 6 Myokos, Kronshtadt, and Pommern w/ Lutjens. I don't use signals or boosters, and certainly no lipstick now that it's useless. So I have no weak points for any offerings WG could possibly exploit...

...unless, of course, I could get through coal, steel, credits, or some other imaginary money, that elusive 7th Myoko. ;)

• Haha 1

Update:

• You can now purchase up to 110 Super Containers.
  • Both Tier X and Superships will earn 200 Anniversary Tokens per battle performance bonuses.
  • Each Super Container will cost 200 Anniversary Tokens, and we've removed the bundles for 400 Anniversary Tokens.

But:

Common economic bonus (grey) bundle
(one of each)
 12 -
Special economic bonus (green) bundle
(one of each)
24 150
(one of each)
72 100
Rare economic bonus (blue) bundle
(one of each)
125 100

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/472

Edited by a252
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, a252 said:

Update:

• Both Tier X and Superships will earn 200 Anniversary Tokens per battle performance bonuses.
  • Each Super Container will cost 200 Anniversary Tokens, and we've removed the bundles for 400 Anniversary Tokens.

But:

(one of each)
 12 -
(one of each)
24 150
(one of each)
72 100
(one of each)
125 100

image.thumb.gif.3cbf383d71d725eb956d1f4b146089db.gif

Meh.

Didn't address the 'in order not to change the anniversary event' problem.

I'm waiting now for the assessments by the community that show just how much the rewards are nerfed still.

It's telling that they haven't mentioned updating SC ship lists, they are trying to do the minimum to not give anything to veterans and whales.

15 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

It's telling that they haven't mentioned updating SC ship lists, they are trying to do the minimum to not give anything to veterans and whales.

Their goal is to reduce rewards. They have been clear about that for a number of patch cycle communications. I'm not surprised by it.

For me, the biggest issue is the fallout from the false implication that the super container content changes meant no changes to the anniversary event.

That communication remaining unaddressed just begs the player community to wonder whether any devblog is actually telling the truth about development intentions.

Is it really WG staffs plan to deliberately make players distrust devblog statements?

40 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Meh.

Didn't address the 'in order not to change the anniversary event' problem.

I'm waiting now for the assessments by the community that show just how much the rewards are nerfed still.

Plus if you notice, with this half-step forward, they took a quarter step back by nerfing super ship payout from 300 to 200. So your missing on a super container per two super ships.

honestly, this basically what I expected them to do initially. If the community hammers them again, then we’ll probably get the super ship pay out and then maybe a mission to get 5 bonus containers of common, unique and rare for each tier(which is going to cost them dearly of course). This will keep on going, their goal is to make us give up not to meet our demands or show they have some level of professional/personal integrity.

If they can’t be expected to honour the statements they give, then they might as well just be up front and say on every devblog from now on: “we’re going to do what we want, if you don’t like it, the door’s down the hall to the left.”

Also, reading the devblog, it’s very clear that they never intended to follow what they said in the SC-nerf blog. Which means we can’t give up yet, this battle is not over.

Edited by MBT808
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, a252 said:

Update:

But:

(one of each)
 12 -
(one of each)
24 150
(one of each)
72 100
(one of each)
125 100

Why do green boosters appear twice in the list?

Reddit opinions:

90% of the comments are literally just eating up the PR and accepting that this is good. Their so happy that WG listened, but they don’t even realize that they didn’t.

Edited by MBT808

21 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Upper right of your post look for the 3 dots (- - -) and click on it for a popup menu that has edit.

Thanks, but I only have Report and Share as options for some reason. 

Edit: Now it does!

Edited by Paradat

2 hours ago, a252 said:

Update:

But:

(one of each)
 12 -
(one of each)
24 150
(one of each)
72 100
(one of each)
125 100

Ah well at least now the SC part is exactly what we would expect. So still one container per tier 10 and 11 ships. Much better.

I have just been on the Devblog-Forum>Updated 8th Anniversary Rewards, and boy, it is dripping with criticism and negativity! Their Discord forum is rapidly becoming as bad as Reddit.

I am glad to be part of this forum and I hope it stays polite but robust.

4 minutes ago, majmac said:

I have just been on the Devblog-Forum>Updated 8th Anniversary Rewards, and boy, it is dripping with criticism and negativity! Their Discord forum is rapidly becoming as bad as Reddit.

I am glad to be part of this forum and I hope it stays polite but robust.

We try our best, but even at times, the best of us get tested.

btw, for those of us who aren't on the wows discord, what is the consensus? I'm glad that those on Discord are seeing through the non-apology of the update as we are on the forums here. Viva la revolution!