Trade-In returns at the end of 13.4.

Colonel Potter

For some, getting rid of a rare ship that they hate to play or never get around to playing might make sense.

We shouldn't be dismissing the event for everyone...just make value judgements for ourselves.

• Like 4
  • Bored 1

49 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

In most cases the shout of "Money grab" is nothing more than propaganda.  But in this case, I really don't see another explanation.

Not that that is evil.  That's why they're in business and why we have a game.  But there's always a plausible reason for an event and the money - from the players' POV - is secondary.  If you see one here, please tell me.

Well it was observed during the last trade in that it serves two purposes.  First is to generate more income for the company, but the second is to reduce the numbers of those Premiums WG has targeted as popular or tending towards overpowered in circulation.

As you say, nothing inherently wrong in that when you offer compensation, but requiring it to be either only a partial discount or such an uneven trade that you end up with a massive loss in performance in the trade does smack of money grab in this case.  Had they allowed stacking of tradein ships to total the price of the new ship, it would have accomplished more of the draining but less of the income generation, so that reinforces the proof as to what the main point of this event is.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

For some, getting rid of a rare ship that they hate to play or never get around to playing might make sense.

We shouldn't be dismissing the event for everyone...just make value judgements for ourselves.

Absolutely true.  Last time around, I did get rid of a high tier ship I very much hated after getting it for a lower tier ship I have enjoyed playing, so worth it there.  The only issue is that the players have to go in with full knowledge of what they are doing and what to expect.

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a few ships on the short-list for a trade - Hornet being at the top of the list. But the options are so limited and I do not want to spend any gold on a trade so tbh I have no idea until the event occurs. 

And here i thought i could finally get rid of Jäger and get myself something worthwhile in return. Damn. Looked again, Brisbane is also not on the list and i kinda regret getting her for coal since i almost never play her. Will probably trade in one of my less played ships for Minegumo. Quite happy the Trade In returns.

3 hours ago, Frostbow said:

Feels like WG made this as another IQ test.

Eveery event WG creates is an IQ test.

WG: "Lets see how many will fall for this BS....!"

3 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

....There will be misguided souls trading Kamikaze's and Mikhail Kutuzov's for Genova's and Yudachi's. ...Every event WG 

These people seriously would need to carry a sign around their neck.

3 hours ago, Kruzenstern said:

Well, it kinda makes me happy to finally be able to get Karl Johann. The ships I trade away (Ones where I also have the black version, or those useless DDs I got from Satan Boxes) will come back to me anyway with this year's Satan Boxes.

But it is sad to see so few interesting ships in the list that can be obtained. Beyond Karl I either have them already or they are not at all interesting.

I will probably get Karl because im a Swede. Last time I traded away Kurfurst, a ship I never played since I got her and even fewer times after she went "Special". Got a T8 Premium sub for her which I played some 50-ish games in and love.

20 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

And here i thought i could finally get rid of Jäger and get myself something worthwhile in return. Damn. Looked again, Brisbane is also not on the list and i kinda regret getting her for coal since i almost never play her. Will probably trade in one of my less played ships for Minegumo. Quite happy the Trade In returns.

Dude .... I would trade many of my OP premiums for you're Jäger! Too bad WG doesn't allow that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I will probably get Karl because im a Swede. Last time I traded away Kurfurst, a ship I never played since I got her and even fewer times after she went "Special". Got a T8 Premium sub for her which I played some 50-ish games in and love.

Dude .... I would trade many of my OP premiums for you're Jäger! Too bad WG doesn't allow that.

Very interested in the Karl Johan myself and regarding the Jäger, i also wish that would be possible, i know there are people who love that ship, but it's just not for me and i would love to trade her in for something more my style.

3 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

Very interested in the Karl Johan myself and regarding the Jäger, i also wish that would be possible, i know there are people who love that ship, but it's just not for me and i would love to trade her in for something more my style.

Yeah, I have gathered she is a handful for most, but being an IJN torp DD Main since CBT, I would fancy trying her out.

• Like 1

Looks great, Karl Johan is probably the best T9 BB, so quite suprised to see it in trade in

• Like 1

I wonder how many F. Shermans will be purchased for coal and immediately traded in during this event for a tier VIII or IX ship (the latter requiring ~2k doubloons).

Edited by Nevermore135

I'll only trade in one of my ships if it's available for coal. IIRC I did this with Immelmann. Anyway trade it in, get the new ship, and then repurchase your traded ship for coal. Coal is fairly easily got and at the moment there's nothing for me to buy with my rapidly accumulating stock of it. The only coal ship I don't have is the U-4501 and I won't buy a sub.

14 hours ago, tm63au said:

About the only ship I might even look at is Minegumo, I don't why I have Asahio, we will have to see. 

It's worth a look at, trust me.

13 hours ago, o4x4 said:

4 choices for my fleet.  I am pretty sure going for 2 T9.

VIII KIDD, VIII BRANDENBURG, IX MINEGUMO, IX KARL XIV JOHAN

Mine and Karl are only good if you're a collector. Kidd is in the top 3 tier 8 premium DDs for how good it is and Brandenburg is great in OPs and ranked.

7 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Eh.

Still too restrictive to make sense for me to dabble in.

Yeah I'm disappointed by the list this time

I have to admit, I had alot more fun in the game when I had fewer lines of ships, but just trading in all the ones I would for credits seems a big loss.  When they first announced this, I thought it would be a way for me to trim my fleet down, but that proved impossible given the tight restrictions.  

I may eventually decide to just accept the losses and go on a scrapyard spree if I really get desperate enough, though.

There's a few premiums in there that are otherwise only available for doubloons. Great for cheapskates with spare coal like me.

Got Sandy last time which is a very solid T8 CL. Probs add Kidd and Minegumo next, depending on my coal reserves.

• 1 month later...

Any of you veterans can explain what the discount structure looks like on trade ins? Is the ask for doubloons possibly prohibitive? Or just wait and see next week.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

14 minutes ago, thornzero said:

Any of you veterans can explain what the discount structure looks like on trade ins? Is the ask for doubloons possibly prohibitive? Or just wait and see next week.

I'd say a lot would depend on the lists they present us with.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, thornzero said:

Ships would give you like half their doubloon value. If I remember correctly. So (made up numbers); lets say a Iowa costed 12k dubs, youd get like 6k to trade with (you dont get the dubs, but the trade value).

It's really only worth it if you have ships you never play and never intend to play. Like I never play CVs or Subs, so if i ever received one in some random box Id just probably trade it.

Was gonna trade for the dalian last time, but the I forgot. Ill probably forget about this event this time around as well. 

This was last years event. They could change the values though.

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/sales-and-events/trade-in-exchange-your-ships/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Ships would give you like half their doubloon value. If I remember correctly. So (made up numbers); lets say a Iowa costed 12k dubs, youd get like 6k to trade with (you dont get the dubs, but the trade value).

It's really only worth it if you have ships you never play and never intend to play. Like I never play CVs or Subs, so if i ever received one in some random box Id just probably trade it.

Was gonna trade for the dalian last time, but the I forgot. Ill probably forget about this event this time around as well. 

This was last years event. They could change the values though.

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/sales-and-events/trade-in-exchange-your-ships/

Out of the list, I think I only want the USS Kidd. So I will see what a good trade is then. I have a CV Tier VIII I'll never use and a couple others I rarely use. Based on these numbers it would cost me 3,1oo dubs; ballpark. For this situation it doesn't seem like a bad deal. [being a newer player and not having hundreds of ships already.]

cheers

• Like 2

I only see a few ships on that list that I do not already have, and the few that I do not have, I do not want. 

• Like 2

On 4/4/2024 at 3:43 AM, Yedwy said:

Well at least u can sell those for credits, something you cant do with most RB lemons…

Yea never do this. You'll most likely just get them again later instead of a good ship. 

I don't see anything I need on the list. I'll wait and fish with Santa crates for better value. 

• Like 1

For those interested in swapping a coal ship for one on the list (tier 8+), guessing the Forrest Sherman would be the best coal tier 10 to get before the coupon expires?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zysyss said:

I only see a few ships on that list that I do not already have, and the few that I do not have, I do not want. 

That's usually the problem with WG trade-ins which I mostly know from WoT. Basically, you can trade in something you don't want to play for something you didn't want to play earlier, or possibly didn't like earlier or for some other reason neglected to buy it. You can either save some money or lose some money in this type of trade, depending on your point of view.

As for point of views, prepare for this trade in as you'd be planning a day trip to Mos Eisley.

image.jpeg.ccb09f6d07bd2c0bb1ca71291da014b5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MashedPotatoSalad said:

For those interested in swapping a coal ship for one on the list (tier 8+), guessing the Forrest Sherman would be the best coal tier 10 to get before the coupon expires?

As the cheapest tier X coal ship, F. Sherman is indeed the best option to trade in for a tier VIII (free) or tier IX (<2k doubloons). The latter is particularly notable as WG has three doubloon/event-exclusive tier IXs available for acquisition in this iteration. Last time we had this event I purchased and traded in Sherman twice, and plan to do the same this time around, as I have a lot of coal and not a lot I consider worth spending it on.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 4