Trade-In returns at the end of 13.4.

Colonel Potter

Well, this is where I probably should have read the "fine print".

I just purchased an F.Sherman in exchange for coal.
My intent was to trade the F.Sherman in for a Minegumo.

Apparently, buying a ship with coal does not make it eligible for trade-in?

I'm sharing my experience in the hopes that others won't waste their coal.

2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Should work just fine, have you tried restarting the game.

1 minute ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

We're on the same "great minds think alike" wavelength.  I'm trying that now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

11 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

9 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

We're on the same "great minds think alike" wavelength.  I'm trying that now.

Okay.
Re-starting the game allowed the F.Sherman to show-up in the "available to be traded" category.

But, by itself, the F.Sherman is not valued enough for an even trade for the Minegumo.
F.Sherman = 17,325 doubloons value.  Minegumo = 19,000 doubloons value.

In order to do this, I have to pony-up 1,675 doubloons.

Well, I'm this far along and I don't want the F.Sherman.  So... ::: le sigh ::: I'm paying the doubloons.

I'll treat this as an educational experience.  Lord knows I'll gain a memorable lesson from it.

• Like 1

A bit late to the party, but I also obtained F sherman with the intent on trading it, athough I find that Karl 14 is sort of like a signifcantly worse Georgia besides the long range and fast torps, yet am pretty terrible/lack experiance in pure torpedo boat DDs like minegumo (most experince in balanced USN dds).

Is Minegumo a decent ship to learn pure torpedo boat skills and train up a 10pt japanese captain I have in reserve? (I basically have no japanese ships other than an Agano and a tachibana).

I would go for the kidd although i do hate seeing like 8k of trade in value go down the drain.

Edited by Boomer625
  • Like 2

I ended up getting Minegumo and K14J in this trade in event. Neither is exactly perfect for me, but if we get the Asymmetric Battles back at some point I'll have more use for them as I don't really enjoy high tier randoms much... although that is an overstatement, actually.

I played one battle with F. Sherman and.... OMG the torps... I had intended to maybe get the it back later on with coal if it was any good but... for cries sake, just no.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

A bit late to the party, but I also obtained F sherman with the intent on trading it, athough I find that Karl 14 is sort of like a signifcantly worse Georgia besides the long range and fast torps, yet am pretty terrible/lack experiance in pure torpedo boat DDs like minegumo (most experince in balanced USN dds).

Is Minegumo a decent ship to learn pure torpedo boat skills and train up 10pt japanese captain I have in reserve? (I basically have no japanese ships other than an Agano and a tachibana).

I would go for the kidd although i do hate seeing like 8k of trade in value go down the drain.

I have the Kidd and the Black.  Of the two, I think the Black is more fun and more versatile.
Since I have Commander Leroy Jenkins, getting the Kidd that he served on (in real life) made sense.
But the Kidd is more about collector value while the Black seems like the better for WOWs game-play, I feel.

The Minegumo is a decent torpedo boat.
Like other high-tier destroyers, her turning radius is larger than I would like.  Can't be helped, though.

If you're not sure about a premium Japanese Torpedo Boat, then consider test-driving the tech-tree Mutsuki.
All the fundamentals about managing one's detection status and positioning can be learned with her.
The Hatsuharu, at Tier-6, is a nice upgrade from the Mutsuki.  But she can potentially face Tier-8 matchmaking.
The choice is yours, of course.  🙂 

Another decent torpedo boat is the Neustrashimy.
Good concealment, decent torpedoes, and a repair party consumable to help her stay afloat.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

If you're not sure about a premium Japanese Torpedo Boat, then consider test-driving the tech-tree Mutsuki.
All the fundamentals about managing one's detection status and positioning can be learned with her.
The Hatsuharu, at Tier-6, is a nice upgrade from the Mutsuki.  But she can potentially face Tier-8 matchmaking.

Bearing in mind here that the Hatsuharu is the Minekaze's successor in the other tree. Mutsuki's upgrade is to the Fubuki. But the same is true of her, although I believe the Hatsuharu's AA is somewhat better (and longer-ranged, so you have to remember to switch it off for as long as possible if planes are about).

• Like 1

Disappointed you can't trade in Black ships, I've got a Kaga B which I've played about twice of which I'd happily get rid.

I've got a few T6 ships I'd be happy to lose, and I'm tempted by Brandenburg and Florida, but I'd rather spend coal on Agir, Tulsa, Salem, Kearsage or any other of the coal ships I haven't got yet.

Edited by Torten
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Torten said:

I've got a few T6 ships I'd be happy to lose, …but I'd rather spend coal on Agir, Tulsa, Salem, Kearsage or any other of the coal ships I haven't got yet.

If you mean by “lose” that you’re not planning to re-buy those ships, then there is no coal involved in the trade-in process.

1 hour ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

If you mean by “lose” that you’re not planning to re-buy those ships, then there is no coal involved in the trade-in process.

I meant buying a coal ship in order to swap it for another ship.

I've been playing for less than a year and the only coal ships I've currently got are Napoli, Pommern and Blyskawica, and a DOY I got in a santa crate, so there are plenty of options available in the coal armoury for a newish player like me.

I'm also low on Doubloons after buying the last two stages for Whisky so I'm relucant to spend some of my remaining 4000 dubs on a t5 ship which will see little play.

Edited by Torten

1 minute ago, Torten said:

I meant buying a coal ship in order to swap it for another ship.

I've been playing for less than a year and the only coal ships I've currently got are Napoli, Pommern and Blyskawica, and a DOY I got in a santa crate, so there are plenty of options available in the coal armoury for a newish player like me.

I'm also low on Doubloons after buying the last two stages for Whisky so I'm relucant to reduce my reserves further.

That's what I did (acquired the Forrest Sherman to trade for the Minegumo). 
I had to add some doubloons to close the deal.
But, I had the coal to spare and the doubloons cost was small enough.

Some of the ships are otherwise unavailable, so this is an opportunity to get one if a person has the ships/doubloons/coal to spare.

You seem to have a good grasp of the situation and are handling it with aplomb.  🙂 

I used the black option in the other way. Had both regular and black Asashios. Traded the regular one in on Minegumo for 1650 dubs. 

• Like 1