What's wrong with players? Like really

Wulf_Ace

6 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I've noticed, while playing BBs, that ranked is different from Random.  In Ranked I feel clueless about what my teammates are trying to do partly because they are either clueless like myself or they know what they are doing.  If I were to concentrate on Ranked and learn which ships are the correct choices for that mode, I could probably get much better.  I need to improve my communications skills to make that happen.

Positioning is much more important

• Like 1

• 2017 Anniversary Event (16 total in event but only 2 for Co-op - I got 23 of the Eat It Toaster one)
  • i got that in spacebattles not co-op 
  • 4 goal haul ive only ever got that in operations not co-op 
  • never have i had an achievment  in co-op   
  • your refering to special events that can include co-op  not from a normal co-op game 
  •  
Edited by Gaelic_knight

Just now, clammboy said:

Except the coin is not weighted on one side or the other the way the MM is I don't really know what I believe here. I don't want to or necessarily believe the games are sometimes set up for you to have a better chance at losing and then sometimes a better chance at winning. But after playing since 2016 it sure kind of feels that way it doesn't feel so random sometimes.

Either way I will  just keep on playing I am definitely getting better and also learning how to deal with being up tiered bad RNG and so on. I still get pissed after 4 or 5 days of losing followed by the always 4 or 5 day winning streak. So I can understand the need to come here and vent it's therapeutic lol.

It makes more sense that the games are truly random, with bad RNG, than for match rigging to occur, in my opinion. Designing a matchmaker to rig matches raises so many more questions about how the mechanics would work and who it selects that I have to go with Occam's Razor here. 

3 hours ago, Frostbow said:

Holy freak show! So you are saying a player can just press W 4 times and expect to earn Kraken, First Blood, High Caliber, etc.? No skill required, as you said, right?

I don't expect it... I'm saying EU stream guys have proven it can be done.. No skill needed to earn them...

The only requirement is to pass the beginning stage (which is the first 200 matches)... After that, you can earn first blood and all the other achievement without any skills at all...

Just press W and fire button... That's all the skill needed to play WOWS.

Edited by Navalpride33

3 hours ago, Gaelic_knight said:

8yrs playing and ive never seen achievents given out in CO-OP 

Let the Co-op mains educate you... Just because you never seen it, doesn't mean it never happened.

1 hour ago, Zysyss said:

You keep saying nothing requires skill in this game, and you are basically saying players with high win rates have no skill. You are beginning to sound like a broken record since you keep posting this in different threads in this forum. There are lots of things in the game that require skill. Knowing where to position your ship, knowing what the minimap is telling you, knowing how to angle your ship, knowing where to aim and how to aim, knowing all the different stats of ships you may face, knowing when to push and when not to push, knowing when to use consumables and when not to, I could go on. All those things help you get more Krakens, solo warriors, and other achievements. 

Those are not "skills." That's how the game is played... Try not to confuse skill with in game elements that's part of the game.

There's no such thing as angling for a high tier cruiser against high caliber AP.

There's nothing about the ships with different stats in the game... They're just copy and paste mechanics. Every ship stat, has to fit in their tier of operation. They're exceptions...

• Tier 8 Soviet BB Borodino..
    • The radar on this ship is greater then the offensive capabilities of tier 6 DDs.
      • This is not skill... This is an OP/over capable ship for its tier of operation.

In summery, everything you mentioned... Is not skill based.. You learn everything at low tiers...

1 hour ago, Unlooky said:

Loss/Win streaks aren't unexpected over significant number of matches. No offense, but if we are strictly talking about random battles, sub 2000 battles is not a particularly large number of battles, even if they're over a long period of time. I'm on a pretty significant losing streak right now myself (4-8.) It's like a game of head or tails. Some times you really will just roll 6 tails in a row. Improbable, but it will happen given enough matches. 

"puts on the tin foil hat"

what rise the red flag with win/defeat streaks is not that they happen but how often they happen.

imagine a 50% player playing 5 games per day, what are the odds of those 5 games being all wins or all defeats? from a statistically point  it can happen but is unlikely yet in world of warships every second day you get streaks.

add the absurd amount of RNG the game has and is not a surprise people scream rigged

as to why the game is drowning in bad players?  that is because that is the kind of player world of warships has been aiming to:

*absurd amount of RNG that can make even the worst player have good matches and great players have bad matchs

*game mechanics that let players get away with dumb play

*asymmetrical combat / gimmicks that let a bad player beat a better player.

*little to no incentive to be good, The last thing that rewarded good players was flags for achievement and that disappeared long ago. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

as to why the game is drowning in bad players?  that is because that is the kind of player world of warships has been aiming to:

*absurd amount of RNG that can make even the worst player have good matches and great players have bad matchs

*game mechanics that let players get away with dumb play

*asymmetrical combat / gimmicks that let a bad player beat a better player.

*little to no incentive to be good, The last thing that rewarded good players was flags for achievement and that disappeared long ago. 

As to my point... WOWS is a no skills required platform. You can excel by just doing the bare minimum.

Its been that way for years... I agree with your post that I clipped.

18 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

WOWS is a no skills required platform.

What is your definition of skill? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Those are not "skills." That's how the game is played... Try not to confuse skill with in game elements that's part of the game.

There's no such thing as angling for a high tier cruiser against high caliber AP.

There's nothing about the ships with different stats in the game... They're just copy and paste mechanics. Every ship stat, has to fit in their tier of operation. They're exceptions...

• Tier 8 Soviet BB Borodino..
    • The radar on this ship is greater then the offensive capabilities of tier 6 DDs.
      • This is not skill... This is an OP/over capable ship for its tier of operation.

In summery, everything you mentioned... Is not skill based.. You learn everything at low tiers...

Dude I am done debating this with you. You have no clue at all and I can see you will never understand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaelic_knight said:
  • 2017 Anniversary Event (16 total in event but only 2 for Co-op - I got 23 of the Eat It Toaster one)
  • i got that in spacebattles not co-op 
  • 4 goal haul ive only ever got that in operations not co-op 
  • never have i had an achievment  in co-op   
  • your refering to special events that can include co-op  not from a normal co-op game 
  •  

I was clear they were temporary ones and not the regular ones. You could get most on my list in Co-op or PVP however. The 4 Goal Haul one was available in Co-op. I gave a screenshot showing that in another reply. But Co-op has had achievements off and on even if just temp ones.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, torino2dc said:

What is your definition of skill? 

If I had to define it.. I would say skill is a result of the individual result from an individual competition setting.

Perfect examples..

• Muey Thai
  • Sumo
  • Judo
  • Boxing
  • MMA

Because WOWS has ships that dont require player skill to be great in. The skills of the ship not the player, ultimately is greater then us the human. This can be seen because you the player need minimal skills to be great at %80 of WOWS ships. (the other %20 are ships no one like to play because of the sub par ship skills like the kyspy cream).

31 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

Good players will always have more good matches, and bad players will always have more bad matches. For the most part, good players can overcome RNG by not making mistakes and doing the right things, which takes knowledge and skill in the game, while bad players make many mistakes and do a lot of the wrong things.  🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zysyss said:

Dude I am done debating this with you. You have no clue at all and I can see you will never understand. 

No one is debating... There's no stats to indicate skill nor the quality of a player...

Stats in WOWS are for trophy purposes only... Any other use of WOWS stats other then its trophy purpose, is only an opinion...

Everyone has a right to an opinion in WOWS, even if its misguided or distorted....

Edited by Navalpride33

17 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

If I had to define it.. I would say skill is a result of the individual result from an individual competition setting.

Perfect examples..

• Muey Thai
  • Sumo
  • Judo
  • Boxing
  • MMA

The above is a very reductive and backwards definition of skill. Commonly accepted definitions include:

The learned ability to act with determined results with good execution often within a given amount of time, energy, or both. (Wikipedia)

The ability to do something well. (Oxford Languages via Google)

The ability to use one's knowledge effectively and readily in execution or performance; dexterity or coordination especially in the execution of learned physical tasks. (Merriam Webster)

---

Your private definition of skill is reductive because it only seems to value 1v1 PvP arenas with only the bare human body. There is a vast world of things people can be skilled at, including knitting, rugby sevens, and public speaking. 

Your private definition of skill is backwards because it focuses on outcome (2x "result") rather than process. In the world outside of 1v1 fighting, there are many activities where the effort one puts in does not proportionately translate into more 'winning'. That doesn't make the person who has bettered their abilities less "skilled". 

It is fine that you define 'skill' according to what is important to you, but you cannot foist your own definition on to the rest of us. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 7:04 AM, Frostbow said:

That's a fact of life; even the most try hard unicum division cannot win all the time.

We (at least those who are man enough to play in PVP modes) will inevitably experience teams like the one you had, sooner or later. 

Sometimes we have days where we lose every game. Other times we have days where we win every game. Win some you lose some, it's all apart of the game. What we can do is learn what mistakes we made and improve!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Let the Co-op mains educate you... Just because you never seen it, doesn't mean it never happened.

whats that suppose to mean . i am a co-op main 

19 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

but if you almost entirely stop playing randoms because you can't actually deal with them (though they made their way to ranked too eventually), that doesn't say a lot towards your adaptability and skill as a player.

That's why it's good to play all the game-modes in this game. For me that meant opening up and playing more OPs and co-op battles. Now I can understand everything more and maybe even help people with their co-op problems.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I've noticed, while playing BBs, that ranked is different from Random.  In Ranked I feel clueless about what my teammates are trying to do partly because they are either clueless like myself or they know what they are doing.  If I were to concentrate on Ranked and learn which ships are the correct choices for that mode, I could probably get much better.  I need to improve my communications skills to make that happen.

If you need help regarding good ships to play in that mode remember I'm here to help!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Positioning is much more important

Positioning and what to actually shoot at. Those two are really important for a BB player imho.

• Like 1

Man, some of the arguments in this thread! 

With thousands and thousands of games played (Random and Co-op, respectively), I do NOT believe in rigged MM.  The idea of it is preposterous to me.  I simply haven't seen anything to make me suspect it, much less believe it.  Sometimes my team is bad.  Sometimes my team is good.  Most of the time it is a balance of both.  You know, RANDOM.

Pressing W and firing from time to time will not make you an average player.  Knowing game mechanics, how to play your specific ship, and how to manage risks and priorities will make you a better than average player.  This is common sense, not rocket science.

It is animal nature for negative experiences to leave a stronger impression than positive ones.  In primal context, negative experiences can kill you, so it is a hard wired defensive mechanism for animals.  I have repeatedly and frequently seen players strongly voice opinions based on negative experiences while minimizing (or flat out ignoring) the positive experiences.  Knowing this exists, I have still been guilty of it.  I was convinced I was bottom tier much more often than top tier.  I started keeping track in 2016 to prove it.  Except...my own data proved I was wrong, and it wasn't even close.

Emotions are powerful things and they can serve us well, but if we want to be credible we also need to temper them and be willing to compile data and sometimes admit when the emotions were not founded in truth.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Zysyss said:

You keep saying nothing requires skill in this game, and you are basically saying players with high win rates have no skill. You are beginning to sound like a broken record since you keep posting this in different threads in this forum. There are lots of things in the game that require skill. Knowing where to position your ship, knowing what the minimap is telling you, knowing how to angle your ship, knowing where to aim and how to aim, knowing all the different stats of ships you may face, knowing when to push and when not to push, knowing when to use consumables and when not to, I could go on. All those things help you get more Krakens, solo warriors, and other achievements. 

There are Barney level players what can't win in COOP......  How did they do that:?  Simple:  division with two other Barney level players and play Tier 5 and 6 and farm up.  Rank out statistically.....  Exploit brawls....   

Skill exists as you have said.  But, there isn't a "measure of individual accomplishment" as a metric that controls battle selections.  Win rates are tied to so much RNG it's silly.... 

Yes, if you waste the time to watch hundreds of hours of videos; play with exemplary clan divisions and learn by doing; or, simply invest the time, you can have a "better skill rating"....  But, to what end???  We don't have a SBMM???? 

Again, to what end?  It's a game designed for children to load, run full speed into the first ship and die....  Heck, you can't even hurt your own forces anymore...  Geeze.....  And, it's ok for some to take seriously.....

4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Those are not "skills." That's how the game is played...

Your repeated claim that World of Warships does not require skills is patently false.

Knowing how the game is played, with its progressively complex mechanics, is already a skill.

Even at Tiers 1 and 2, players learn the fundamental skill of angling, when to use their damage control party, etc.

Knowing how to use it to one's advantage becomes an even more useful skill as a player moves to the next, and eventually, to the highest tiers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asym said:

watch hundreds of hours of videos; play with exemplary clan divisions and learn by doing; or, simply invest the time, you can have a "better skill rating"....  But, to what end???

● Self-respect.

● Continuous improvement.

● Responsible gaming.

● Respect for fellow players.

● A keen sense of accomplishment. 

And of course, to destroy enemy ships, sometimes in a truly spectacular fashion.

• Bored 1

2 hours ago, Asym said:

It's a game designed for children to load, run full speed into the first ship and die....

That is an extremely narrow point of view. The game caters to various skill levels. 

• Bored 1