DevStrike Launches the Warships in Movies Club with a Movie of the Month on April 1

Admiral_Karasu

4 minutes ago, DDG44_Vet said:

The 1954 film, I haven't seen the 2023 version. 

2023 version is more like the play.  It's a court-martial proceeding.
Unlike the 1954 film, which is the events leading-up to the court-martial.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

2023 version is more like the play.  It's a court-martial proceeding.
Unlike the 1954 film, which is the events leading-up to the court-martial.

I’ll have to watch it and see how it compares to the 1988 film with Jeff Daniels. I was very impressed with that one. 

• Like 1

The court martial is part of the film.

I used to do Greenwald's post-win drunk scene as dramatic interp.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I don't remember it being in color.

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I'm guessing someone made a color-ized version.

If each of you are referring to the original 1954 movie with Bogart, that was filmed in Technicolor.  I have it on my Plex server and won't tell you how many times I've watched it.

Technicolor.thumb.png.33bcdaefaabfa18a41c20fa25ca16ad1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

If each of you are referring to the original 1954 movie with Bogart, that was filmed in Technicolor.  I have it on my Plex server and won't tell you how many times I've watched it.

Technicolor.thumb.png.33bcdaefaabfa18a41c20fa25ca16ad1.png

Wow. I think I've seen this movie only in black and white.

image.thumb.jpeg.d6c619945515c83612ea833d5b128e59.jpeg

Is it normal to release both technicolor and black and white versions of movies?

14 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Is it normal to release both technicolor and black and white versions of movies?

It's possible, I would guess. I would bet, however, that many first watched this movie on television some time ago on black-and-white television. Just a guess.  It is also possible that the broadcast station, at the time, could only broadcast in black and white.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

It's possible, I would guess. I would bet, however, that many first watched this movie on television some time ago on black-and-white television. Just a guess.  It is also possible that the broadcast station, at the time, could only broadcast in black and white.

Those are some of the explanations I thought of as well. It could have been long enough ago that it was a black and white TV set. Or maybe it's what they call the Mandela effect, putting it in the same category as Dolly's braces.

image.jpeg.1d7e8a37dc2ba57bd1c039f57a71b00f.jpeg

13 hours ago, iDuckman said:

The court martial is part of the film.

I used to do Greenwald's post-win drunk scene as dramatic interp.

I have referenced Greenwald’s critique and admonishment of the wardroom at the end of the film several times in my life and think of it often when working for someone who can be difficult. “You don’t work with a captain because you like the way he parts his hair, you work with him because he’s got the job or you’re no good”

• Like 1

Alright, mates, sadly I couldn't find a good quality free copy of the Caine Mutiny for this month, there are buy or rent options, though, and there is a poor quality copy available by googling for 'caine mutiny full movie' but I'm wary of actually posting the link on DevStrike, but it is available if somebody wants to have a go and if it works without technical issues.

This MoM is now, due to member request, an action packed movie called Zulu. Possibly this is reference to the famous signal flag, if so, we can expect plenty of brine and seaworthy action out of this.

• Like 2